Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Vortex F3A build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 10:15 AM
Alex Voicu

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanemartinboix
The static images donīt do any justice to the plane. Rolling and tumbling in the screen does it. Do you mind if I post a 3D PDF so people without special software can aprecciate the beauty of the design?
It's true, i find it difficult to capture the looks of the plane with photos, there is too much distortion cased by the camera lens. Sure, you can post the 3D PDF if you want
Old 05-12-2020, 10:52 AM
Juanemartinboix

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

3D PDF of the Vortex . The 3D feature works in adobe acrobat reader DC . You have to confy in the data and click the blank image to activate the feature .Left button presed to roll and tumble ,scroll to make even bigger.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Vortex_exterior.PDF (293.2 KB, 594 views)
The following users liked this post:
flyintexan (05-15-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Alex Voicu

3D PDF of the Vortex . The 3D feature works in adobe acrobat reader DC . You have to confy in the data and click the blank image to activate the feature .Left button presed to roll and tumble ,scroll to make even bigger.
And click the 2 blue cubes at the top to enable perspective view and choose "solid" representation (removes surface outlines)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:20 AM
Juanemartinboix

Now a texture would be awesome!!!!....wait !! and a sym model?

Old 05-12-2020, 11:23 AM
Juanemartinboix

Just to be picky ....I found fixed gear and wheel spats the icing in the cake
Old 05-13-2020, 08:07 AM
Alex Voicu

Now a texture would be awesome!!!!....wait !! and a sym model?
It is possible to make a simulator model, but it takes time and i would rather work on improving the design when i get more flight reports from different pilots.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:44 AM
robin24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,especially Alex!

Given, that Alex generously shared his files for cutting Vortex,
l also decided to make it myselfe. The cut is in the works and l look
forward to it in a few days...
Br Robi
Old 05-14-2020, 07:36 AM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Again, beautiful work Alex. I myself found that in designs such as this (I collaborated with AC Glenn on the "Ariel") the fuselage starts to become a flying balsawood forest. The surface area of such fuselages becomes an immense number. My latest fuse design project is showing a surface area of 1.471 sq meters (with canopy but no rudder). Creating the sub structure with enough minimal integrity for building and a skin that will carry most of the flight loads is a daunting task in designs like these.

-Mark
Old 05-14-2020, 09:02 AM
Alex Voicu

Originally Posted by robin24
Hello everyone,especially Alex!

Given, that Alex generously shared his files for cutting Vortex,
l also decided to make it myselfe. The cut is in the works and l look
forward to it in a few days...
Br Robi
Hi Robi,

Please keep us updated with your progress and post some images when you can.
My Vortex is almost 2000 km away and it will be a while before i can work on it again, so the next best thing is seeing others building one.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:41 AM
Alex Voicu

Originally Posted by flyintexan
Again, beautiful work Alex. I myself found that in designs such as this (I collaborated with AC Glenn on the "Ariel") the fuselage starts to become a flying balsawood forest. The surface area of such fuselages becomes an immense number. My latest fuse design project is showing a surface area of 1.471 sq meters (with canopy but no rudder). Creating the sub structure with enough minimal integrity for building and a skin that will carry most of the flight loads is a daunting task in designs like these.

-Mark
Hi Mark,
It's true, the structure gets very complex for a plane of this size, only designing it took me around 5 months in total. But it's something very satisfying to see the puzzle of small parts come together just like i imagined and developing from thin fragile balsa sheets into a massive powerful plane.
I like composite construction too, but it's not something i can do by myself at home, you need a fully equipped workshop for that. I saw your new Revo project has a composite fuselage and i'm looking forward to seeing more images of its progress.
The following 3 users liked this post by Alex Voicu:
flyintexan (05-15-2020), robin24 (05-14-2020), Tolvai (05-15-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 09:28 PM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brilliant work....
Old 05-14-2020, 11:14 PM
Juanemartinboix

2 clicks and done
Old 05-14-2020, 11:15 PM
Juanemartinboix

Just joking ,Alex work is more than brilliant its a lot of them.
robin24 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 02:00 AM
robin24

Hello!
So l am about as far away as your plane...
After consulting with my friend Marko, who has vast experience with the F3A, we decidet to build the aircraft with fixed wings,
( taking into account the angles planned ) and with the classic back engine mount. According to Krille s experience, however, the current firewall would be left at 0 degrees.
The cut is made of light balsa...
Br Robi
Old 05-15-2020, 03:12 PM
Alex Voicu

The 3D PDF format doesn't support textures, but i found a way to export the model in 2 different paintschemes for your viewing pleasure
The files are too large to attach here, so i uploaded them on Google Drive.

When opening the 3D PDFs, an Options button will show up in the top bar, just click it and choose to trust the document (any of the 2 options there). You may need to click on the screen one more time for the model to show up.

For best results, do the following:
- Right click on the screen, go to Viewing Options > Use Perspective Projection
- Right click on the screen, go to Viewing Options > Lighting Schemes > CAD Optimized Lights
- Right click on the screen > Full Screen Multimedia

You can use Left mouse button to rotate the camera, Ctrl + L Mouse to pan, and Shift + L Mouse to zoom.
If the model is not displayed correctly, right click on the screen, go to 3D Preferences, check box labeled "Enable double-sided rendering".

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jz...t29n40I15RKgHa

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YQ...irkSXX_1iMJXYK

Last edited by Alex Voicu; 05-15-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:43 AM
robin24

Hello!
The Wortex is cut out. Now l am wondering if anyone has a bill of materials made?
How many pieces of balsa 2mm, 4mm, 6mm ,8mm, 10mm do l need? Maybe Alex?
Br Robi

Last edited by robin24; 05-17-2020 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:27 AM
Alex Voicu

Originally Posted by robin24
Hello!
The Wortex is cut out. Now l am wondering if anyone has a bill of materials made?
How many pieces of balsa 2mm, 4mm, 6mm ,8mm, 10mm do l need? Maybe Alex?
Br Robi
The laser cutting files are gouped in folders depending on the material needed. The dimensions for each sheet is part of the file name, for example: Sheet12_balsa3mm_500x200mm.dwg
Obviously for a 500x200mm balsa sheet you need to cut a 1m sheet in half and join the 2 pieces together with CA before laser cutting.
All you need to do is to explore each material folder and figure out the number of 1m long sheets needed.
The flat areas of the fuselage (vertical side walls) are made of 3mm balsa, and these are included in the laser cutting drawings.

The curved areas of the fuselage (turtle deck, belly pan, fin, etc.) are covered with 2mm balsa and these are not included in the laser cutting drawings since you need to manually cut and adjust them for a perfect fit. You need around 17 sheets of 2mm balsa (1m long) to cover the whole fuselage. Another 16 sheets of 2mm balsa are needed for the wings and 6 for the stabs, so in total 39 sheets.

Last edited by Alex Voicu; 05-17-2020 at 09:14 AM.
robin24 (05-17-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 05:08 AM
Juanemartinboix

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Alex Voicu
The 3D PDF format doesn't support textures, but i found a way to export the model in 2 different paintschemes for your viewing pleasure
The files are too large to attach here, so i uploaded them on Google Drive.

When opening the 3D PDFs, an Options button will show up in the top bar, just click it and choose to trust the document (any of the 2 options there). You may need to click on the screen one more time for the model to show up.

For best results, do the following:
- Right click on the screen, go to Viewing Options > Use Perspective Projection
- Right click on the screen, go to Viewing Options > Lighting Schemes > CAD Optimized Lights
- Right click on the screen > Full Screen Multimedia

You can use Left mouse button to rotate the camera, Ctrl + L Mouse to pan, and Shift + L Mouse to zoom.
If the model is not displayed correctly, right click on the screen, go to 3D Preferences, check box labeled "Enable double-sided rendering".

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jz...t29n40I15RKgHa

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YQ...irkSXX_1iMJXYK
You make my day ,even a 3 blade prop
Old 05-18-2020, 06:30 AM
lofl

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Alex, can I send you a converted DWG file to PDF to have you check the scale conversion?
Thanks.
Reg
Old 05-18-2020, 09:57 AM
Alex Voicu

Originally Posted by lofl
Alex, can I send you a converted DWG file to PDF to have you check the scale conversion?
Thanks.
Reg
Hi Reg,
I can try to check it, i sent you a PM with my email address.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:21 AM
AndersonR

Alex Voicu
Thankyou very much for shared this plant i love this plane for long time i searching he for make i'm very happy for this
i have one question on folder laser cutting have much files what which necessarily i need use 3mm 10mm 1.5mm
i want make using 3mm but i need cutting all files on folder? i not understand well what i need use can u help me? for me use 3mm i need cutting only all folder 3mm? and have two folder BF and SF i will need cutting all folder on laser 1mm 1.5mm 2mm 3mm 10mm?

Last edited by AndersonR; 05-24-2020 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:21 PM
AndersonR

I have other question too why many locate plant have some bug when Laser will cutting he will stop and continue other locate see this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EO6BaFE.png
Views:	577
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	2267460
Old 05-24-2020, 10:46 PM
Alex Voicu

Originally Posted by AndersonR
I have other question too why many locate plant have some bug when Laser will cutting he will stop and continue other locate see this.
Hi,
The purpose of these tabs is to keep the parts attached to the balsa sheet, otherwise it is easy to loose some parts. You can easily cut these tabs with a cutter and detach the parts from the sheet when you need them.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:59 PM
Alex Voicu

Originally Posted by AndersonR
Alex Voicu
Thankyou very much for shared this plant i love this plane for long time i searching he for make i'm very happy for this
i have one question on folder laser cutting have much files what which necessarily i need use 3mm 10mm 1.5mm
i want make using 3mm but i need cutting all files on folder? i not understand well what i need use can u help me? for me use 3mm i need cutting only all folder 3mm? and have two folder BF and SF i will need cutting all folder on laser 1mm 1.5mm 2mm 3mm 10mm?
There are 2 different versions of the model, BF stands for Blended Fin and looks slightly better while SF stands for Simplified Fin and is a bit easier to build (please see the first post in this thread for images of both versions). Obviously you don't need to cut both, you just need to cut the version you want to build.
The laser cutting files are grouped in folders depending on the materials used, you just need to go into each folder and count the number of balsa sheets needed. Some sheets are 500x200mm, which means you need to cut a 1m long balsa sheet in half and join the 2 pieces together with CA adhesive before laser cutting.
The 3mm balsa sheets are mainly used for the fuselage, and the 2.5mm balsa is for the wings and stabs, but you need to cut all the sheets for a complete model. Maybe you can cut the 6mm and 10mm balsa parts by hand, since there are only simple rectangular shapes with a centerline (used for wings, stabs and rudder hinge lines).
AndersonR (05-25-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:44 AM
robin24

I got my Vortex Kit earlier in the week...I ve been watching Alex s super great work.
BR Robi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.