Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Pattern start

Old 03-08-2005, 07:29 PM
patterndreamer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pattern start

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a kit of a pattern plane in the style of like what you see flying in competitions and stuff. You know like the comp arf impact the double vision and pancea, but kit form. Any suggestions would be great.

patterndreamer
(I've been waiting to do tihs for awhile hence the name.)
Old 03-08-2005, 08:34 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: Pattern start

Do you want built up balsa? If so, check out the threads here on the Widebody 60 and the Epsilon, both by Columbo Anderson, available from Pattern Pros-- http://www.patternproz.com/planes%20ca%20model.html. These kits have pre-built balsa sheeted foam flying surfaces, which makes the construction almost foolproof.

Or do you want fiberglass fuselage & foam wings (unsheeted cores)? If so, see Precision Aero Composite-- http://www.precisionaerocomposite.com/

The Columbo Anderson products are very popular, first class designs, first class flyers, reasonably priced. The PAC line includes the classics of yesteryear along with very competitive modern designs. There is a steep learning curve for the first-time builder of this type of kit. The PAC crew are very good at helping you make a choice of kit, advice on building, choosing powerplant, etc.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:11 PM
patterndreamer

I had thought about CA's aircraft i wanted something fairly affordable and easy to build though. I only have a couple of builds under my belt, and still want this to be a learning experience, but not an expensive one.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:33 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the wide body 60 is afforable and easy to build heres pic of mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25308.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	240762  
Old 03-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

I like CA Models stuff. I have a Widebody 60 and 2 Eclipses. Very good value for the $$
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31959.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	240781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75158.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	240782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79274.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	240783  
Old 03-08-2005, 11:03 PM
patterndreamer

i was looking at the eclipse or fantasy.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:34 PM
majortom-RCU

Dreamer, you're not going to get a better value than a CA Widebody. If cost is a consideration, start with the Widebody 40 instead of the 60. If you're ready to spring for the Eclipse or Fantasy, that strikes me as a pretty big leap from having a couple kits under your belt. You seem to be the kind of guy pattern flyers want to meet and help. Do you know any pattern flyers in your area? If not, my advice is to attend a pattern meet or two, see who's flying in Sportsman and Intermediate, see what they're flying, talk to the pilots, ask a lot of questions. With any luck you'll come away with lots of good information and maybe even a coach to help you with building & flying. Also click on http://www.nsrca.org/beginnerA.htm for more tips.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:51 PM
patterndreamer

A couple points on that. I live in an area dominated by racer, jets, and giant scale. And being 15 doesn't help at all.

patterndreamer
Old 03-09-2005, 02:11 AM
majortom-RCU

I hear you. I'm an old fogey, and I still have my dreams of models I'd like to build and fly. In the meantime, I build and fly within my means, and have as good a time as when I was flying U-control, back when I was your age. Radio control was primitive then, and nobody at our field knew anything about it. I'm still learning, still trying out new things. The more you stretch for the hobby now, the further it will take you over the years. If I'd had a Widebody 40 to build and fly at fifteen... that would have been terrific. Do what you can. The time and money and learning will come, but you have to chip away at it. I must say it's good to see young people with serious interests.

In the meantime, keep looking for a mentor. I haven't met a pattern flyer yet that didn't want to help get a new recruit into the air.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:32 PM
patterndreamer

I"m not exactly new into pattern but i am new to serious pattern flying, like competition style. I have a energizer fuse sized to fit on a super kaos wing, and fly alittle pattern with it. It rolls to fast to do precision pattern so i want that one dedicated plane.

patterndreamer
Old 03-09-2005, 09:04 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been in r/c for only a year now. I'm almost ready to fly my Widebody 40. It is my second kit. It isn't hard if you have built a kit before. It leaves a lot for you to decide on, but I am ending up liking that more than a traditional kit that has more step by step instructions. I think going back to those kinds of kits will be a drag. I plan to buy an Epsilon next and already have a new engine for it.

I think that you should go for the Widebody since you have built more kits that I did. I've flown a friends Widebody 60 and it is an experience over other planes. You are addicted to it in a few seconds! It seems to know what you want to do before you do it.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:16 PM
patterndreamer

I've been thinking the widebody is the way to go and then later on i can step up to the fantasy or eclipse. Probably go with the .60 since it's more like a full bore comp plane and closer in size. Thanks for the help and I'll post here if i have anymore questions, like setup, etc.

patterndreamer
Old 03-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Xrod
My Feedback: (2)

Majortom, wish that was the way it really is. I have been flying pattern for a year now and it has been a solo effort despite having some big name pattern flyers around here. I am about to quit for lack of encouragement and assistance. The pattern community whines about loss of interest and new people, but can't be bothered to take a serious newcomer under the wing. Good luck Dreamer, it's a closed society, and therefore doomed to die.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:06 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xrod,
I think if you ask you'll find most pattern fliers are more than willing to help , but
they won't volunteer information to just anyone , you have to ask.

tommy s
Old 03-11-2005, 04:08 PM
majortom-RCU

Xrod, if that has been your experience, then hackles should be rising in your district. It's true, pattern has declined in numbers over the years, as equipment technology has developed. Undoubtedly there's a connection of some kind between the two trends. But it pains me to think that pattern flyers would turn a cold shoulder to a new guy. Tommy is probably right, that most old hands will wait to be asked rather than volunteering information. My own experience in District 1 has been all the other way. I go to a meet, strike up a conversation with anyone, and helpful suggestions come pouring out. Maybe I have been properly conditioned by having a pattern coach an hour's drive away, retired (like me) so he has time to indulge his generous nature (and he's a Scotchman!). Have you joined NSRCA? Are you on their Discussion List? I see members posting questions and expert answers popping up like mushrooms. Before you give up on pattern, I hope you would join NSRCA if you haven't already, and then get in touch with your District VP and let him know what kind of help you need. If all the many capable pattern flyers in Florida fail to come through for you, then pattern does deserve to die. (Heaven forfend!)

By the way, if there are any pattern wannabe's in my southern NH neighborhood who wanna go fly somewhere, I'd be happy to get a PM from you and see if we can't get together. Not that I am the big expert, but happy to share what I think I know.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Xrod

I have asked for a coach and a mentor. This has not happened. If I ask for help it comes in the form of "your loops aren't round" or things like that. You say that pattern flyers won't just give out information to just anyone. Why not? You have a guy that is flying a pattern plane, flying pattern sequence, and is obviously new and is making mistakes. I just don't get it. I guess part of the problem is that I am active duty military, and they don't want to "waste" time on someone who will eventually move. (To another District) I watch the NSRCA forum, but don't post because they are the "good ol' boys" and I shouldn't intrude without being a member. Why would I want to join? If I did, then would I be able to get coaching and mentoring? Is this the kind of organization that I want to be a part of? I will probably always fly a pattern plane because I love the way they fly. I will always fly pattern because I love the discipline and precision. I will not be competing or joining the NSRCA because the old timers are not receptive to new people in my experience. Unless something changes here, pattern will die. The pattern community needs to recruit new people, and mentor them actively in order to keep them. Trying to learn the sport by yourself is a slow process, full of discouragement. Don't get me wrong. I am not looking for someone to hold my hand here. But it would be great to have someone take an active interest in my flying...help me with trimming, call and critique my performance, so that I could make improvements. Ocala contest is coming up and I'm not even sure if my manuevers look like what the rest of the country is flying or not, I only have a description from the AMA rulebook. I think this is shame.
By the way, one of the flyers is an officer of the NSRCA!
Old 03-11-2005, 09:16 PM
MHester

ORIGINAL: Xrod

Ocala contest is coming up and I'm not even sure if my manuevers look like what the rest of the country is flying or not, I only have a description from the AMA rulebook. I think this is shame.
Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Do a search on my posts, and have fun reading the crap I get into with some of pattern's "elite". If anyone should be sour towards pattern, it would be me.

Not so. You have yet to attend a D3 contest, you are only exposed to a couple of individuals. THEY are not pattern, they are pattern flyers. There is a difference.

Go to Ocala. In fact be there by noon Friday. At the field ready to fly. I'll help you. I'm sure I told you that once before. I find it hard to believe nobody around there will help, that just baffles me....like I'm missing something.

You fly pattern for you, not for "them". You WILL meet great and like minded people if you attend contests. But not every single one will be easy to get along with or even care about helping. I've yet to see a person get fed to the lions in D3 at a contest. That's why hackles aren't going up in D3, cuz I haven't seen it. But then again maybe I'm not even looking?

Or not. Your call!

-Mike
Old 03-11-2005, 10:50 PM
patterndreamer

Xrod consider yourself lucky to have any form of help. Some people (primarily me) are the only pattern flyer in the area, all the rest flew it in the 80s. I get no help except RCU, so deal with it. Build a balsa bridge and get over it.

patterndreamer
Old 03-11-2005, 11:37 PM
MHester

I didn't really have any when I started. Nobody even looked at me until I built my first 2 meter plane. Then I guess they figured I was serious, and I found myself swarmed with help.

Thing is, I just said screw it and just WENT to my first contest with one goal in mind: get through the rounds and bring it home intact. I did that....and got 2nd place out of 9. I got plenty of help on practice day, and when I drove home, I had seen every manuever flown very well from sportsman through FAI. I understood roundness, straight lines and centering. I learned how to size things and manage the box. I knew all of these things, but that didn't mean I could do it. So I just did what I knew: flew smooth and consistent, and it got me a hard fought 2nd my first time out.

But I didn't realize how much I was missing until I entered my first contest. Raw, 9 days of practice TOTAL. The plane was also 9 days old. Everything was fresh and I just threw caution to the wind and jumped out there. I am SO glad I did.

Also realize some people are GREAT flyers, but they suck at teaching. These are the guys who can tell you in detail what you're doing wrong, but have a hard time explaining how to fix it. I'm like that to some extent. Given enough time and patience, I can help people straighten up thier manuevers. But communication is sometimes difficult until the newer pilot gets to the point of understanding some things. So, I just wallow through and try and learn as I go. Sometimes I get help, sometimes I don't. Doesn't matter, I love the plane, the challenge, the pressure I put on myself, the glory of victory and the agony of defeat. I love it all. And so many of the regulars down here are such cool people. Which is why I'm having a hard time understanding someone being ignored. Not to say I don't believe it, it's just difficult because I haven't yet seen it for myself.

Anyway, just a thought.
-Mike
Old 03-12-2005, 01:04 AM
majortom-RCU

What I know about the evil bad monkey man is strictly through his many fascinating and enjoyable postings, but I'm sure I would enjoy the heck out of a flying session with him. Thanks for stepping up for us, Mike. Xrod, I hope you can make it to Ocala. Dreamer, your day will come. Stick with it. Fly alone if you have to, you'll hook up with someone one of these days. Enjoy when you can, endure when you must.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Xrod

Guys, I'm sorry that I have led this thread off on another tangent. Dreamer, I have gotten over it..a long time ago. Like you, I get a lot of help from RCU. It sucks that there is no one in your area to help out, I'm sure you would think that it sucks worse to have people there that won't help. I don't know how long you have been flying, but at some point you will understand that what may take you a month to discover/accomplish could have been done in a day with the help of someone that has traveled this path before. Remember that I said I'm NOT looking for someone to hold my hand. We stilll have to burn the fuel.
Mike, I always get sage advice from you, and yes, I still plan to go to Ocala. Despite not having practiced lately (been really sick) and my plane is out of wack somewhere on trim (don't know where). I have my new Finesse ready for maiden flight and might try that. My goal will be to see each Sportsman maneuver flown perfectly so I'll know....just like you did. I'm looking forward to meeting you, and getting whatever help I can get. Unfortunately, there is no way I will get there early on Friday. Yes, I also understand your point about good flyers not being very good teachers. We have one like that, but another has coached others to success.
Thanks
Old 03-12-2005, 02:22 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

could someone illistrate a double immelman
Old 03-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Scott Smith
My Feedback: (4)

The double I in sportsman is two half loops with an inverted segment. So you fly past center and execute a half loop. Then fly a straight line inverted segment. The length of the inverted line is equal to the height of the half loop. The pull into the second half loop and exit.

Another way to picture it is with a box with half circles on each end. The box must be centered.

All maneuvers are described in the AMA [link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/comp/0506Rulebook/rc-aero2005.pdf]rule book[/link]
Old 03-12-2005, 09:57 PM
majortom-RCU

Hoping to clear up a point of confusion: there are no rolls in the Double Immelmann. The Double I traces a figure like an oval racetrack, starting with a straight & level bottom, pull a round half loop up, then a lengthened straight & level inverted top, then pull another half loop down to starting level, then finish with straight & level upright back through center. The point of this maneuver is to maintain track during inverted flight. Of course the half loops need to stay on track as well, such that the maneuver is at all times in a vertical plane parallel to the flight line. This simple sounding maneuver teaches maintaining track in a crosswind, and should get special attention when practicing with a crosswind. Learning inverted rudder is a crucial part of working through the Sportsman class. (The other crucial parts are all the other parts.)
Old 03-12-2005, 11:34 PM
patterndreamer

Hey guys,

I'm having second thoughts about the widebody. I'm thinking maybe a Zafiro now for the AA stuff or the Impact (I hear it's more like an arc than an arf.) Opinions, comments, complainents.

patterndreamer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.