Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

SAP 180 (Syssa Performance)

Old 05-06-2011, 08:18 PM
cmoulder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SAP 180 (Syssa Performance)

Wow, sorry to hear about the lockout![&o]

I was buddy-boxing with a guy at my local club last year with one of those electric T34 trainers and had a similar thing happen. I felt bad about it but there was nothing either of us could have done because it just plain quit responding. This was a well set up model and the battery was relatively new and had plenty of charge left. Made a very impressive divot in a local ball field. I guess it happened before because Horizon replaced the entire model including battery.

A couple years back I spent the winter completely refurbishing a Venus II and lost it to a mid-air on the 12th flight after the project. So I have some idea how frustrating it is!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my no. 1 back from Todd mid week. I had been experiencing lack of fuel draw and flame outs in the middle of the tank, so it may have been a carb issue.

Anyway, went flying today and decided to try Avgas again. I leaned both needles 1/8 turn each before even attempting to start it. Once started, the engine responded better than it ever has, even when it was new. Not certain of what Todd did to it but man, the power was incredible and throttle response was right there

I'm turning one of Bob Moulder's 16x12 APC's. With Avgas, the engine was definitely quieter....I know Avgas runs cooler so it could be simply a lower exhaust temp and hence lower note. This time around on Avgas, the engine ran as it should with no fat running. Excellent stuff!!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:12 PM
cmoulder

Matt, is that with your Aesthesis, or the Temptress?

Hope to see it at Jackson. You gonna be there??

I plan to arrive Friday before noon and get some flying in, then Rick W's judging seminar.

Not a lot of info posted on the D1 website a few days ago, but I will check again.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:18 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Bob:

Italked to Rick and he's coming up Friday for the contest, says the field should be open. Iwill be getting there about noon. Judging seminar is 7:30 sharp.

See ya

Ed
Old 05-07-2011, 07:27 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: NJRCFLYER2

Bob:

I talked to Rick and he's coming up Friday for the contest, says the field should be open. I will be getting there about noon. Judging seminar is 7:30 sharp.

See ya

Ed
Good deal! I'll follow you to the location. Anthony told me it will be at a church meeting hall.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:13 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

Matt, is that with your Aesthesis, or the Temptress?

Hope to see it at Jackson. You gonna be there??
Ol' reliable....Temptress. This model is trully a great flyer. Too bad there's a screw loose in front of the controls

Aesthesis has a couple issues I need to resolve before taking it out again

I probably will not attend Jackson
Old 05-10-2011, 05:28 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: MTK

Ol' reliable....Temptress. This model is trully a great flyer. Too bad there's a screw loose in front of the controls

Aesthesis has a couple issues I need to resolve before taking it out again

I probably will not attend Jackson
Flew Temptress Saturday and Sunday again on Avgas. It simply ran great with loads of power on the extended vertical Masters stuff. More than that, I have been getting throttleability like never before. Could be I was just running the engine too rich.

I asked Todd what was done and he said that he changed bearings to double sealed, both front and back. I think the ring was also changed but not 100% sure on that one. Engine holds compression better and is giving me considerably better output than before the changes.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:16 PM
cmoulder

Flew Temptress Saturday and Sunday again on Avgas. It simply ran great with loads of power on the extended vertical Masters stuff. More than that, I have been getting throttleability like never before. Could be I was just running the engine too rich.

I asked Todd what was done and he said that he changed bearings to double sealed, both front and back. I think the ring was also changed but not 100% sure on that one. Engine holds compression better and is giving me considerably better output than before the changes.
Matt,

That was with the 16x12?

I will be flying mine tomorrow for the first time, also with the new bearings. I think Todd also tweaked the ports a bit, but I have no idea what exactly he did. I'll let you know how it goes.

The Sickle with e-power has distracted me quite a bit this Spring! Totally different beasts, both airframes and power plants.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:49 PM
tele1974

I am using a new fuse and I am getting significantly more vibration noise from the pipe and its attachment in the tunnel. The only thing different is the motor was mounted last year using well nuts through the firewall. I am suspicious the well nuts were actually reducing some vibration. I may try the well nuts again later. For now it just needs to get in the air. I have contest in two weeks and we haven't been able to get out to the field. We have had rain practically everyday for the last month... not okay.
A screw loose in front of the controls... thats funny. Need a hammer?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:59 PM
MTK

Matt,

That was with the 16x12?

I will be flying mine tomorrow for the first time, also with the new bearings. I think Todd also tweaked the ports a bit, but I have no idea what exactly he did. I'll let you know how it goes.

The Sickle with e-power has distracted me quite a bit this Spring! Totally different beasts, both airframes and power plants.
Bob,

Yes, 16x12. I want to keep the load down to seat the ring. Heck I'm liking it pretty well so I'll probably leave it alone for a few gallons. Engine has got to be spooling up to mid to hi 8's.

It was really cool to run half to 2/3rds throttle for everything. Then, on the second leg of the Sq on Corner with 1/2 rolls, I have enough beans left to goose it. It looked like Ed's YS 170 powered Prestige, accelerating on that leg on its way up over the top and with no sag anywhere in the envelope. Hope it stays like that for the season or three. Plane is light at just a hair under 10 # and it's still only in the low 70's so the power is explained mostly there. But I'll tellya, it was good before but is acting different, better, now, and quiet too especially for the rpm it's turning

Well I'm finally getting serious pattern flying done again and that;s a good thing. The mileage is better than ever since I am running a little leaner than I had been. The only knock is the smallish prop and downline brakes. But it is a small knock. I have a 18.6 x10 MDK hybrid in the works which should slow things down a bit especially on downlines
Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: tele1974

Haha, nothing that a bit of reliability won;t cure.

Bob, I just might make Jackson. Not flying worth beans but what the heck, it's just fun to show what can be done with this technology
Old 05-11-2011, 03:31 AM
cmoulder

Bob, I just might make Jackson. Not flying worth beans but what the heck, it's just fun to show what can be done with this technology
It would be great to see you there!

Don't know yet whether I'm bringing electric or gasser. Depends on how it goes today with tweaking the Focus and also the weather. If it's going to be quite windy then I might favor the Focus. Looks like some rain in the forecast.

On the "E" side, I had a problem with the Revolectrix power supplies that were dropping in performance and then one just quit. Replaced a fuse inside the case and it went pffftt again. Got an Iota DLS-55 through Amazon with 1-day shipping and am back in business after soldering up a couple of new connectors. I don't know squat about electronics, but the innards of the Iota sure look a lot more robust than the Revo's.

Bummer because I thought those PS's might work better with FMA's own products. Still livin' an' learnin' []
Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: MTK

Matt,

I hope you can make it. I have some ideas that Bill Pritchett from the AMA wanted me to run by you on the judging side of the house. It sounded as if it it might be very beneficial to the NSRCA.

Arch
Old 05-11-2011, 05:23 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

Matt,

I have some ideas that Bill Pritchett from the AMA wanted me to run by you on the judging side of the house. It sounded as if it it might be very beneficial to the NSRCA.

Arch
Archie,

Please PM me. I have not made a final decision whether to come or not. Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 05:30 AM
MTK

On the ''E'' side, I had a problem with the Revolectrix power supplies that were dropping in performance and then one just quit. Replaced a fuse inside the case and it went pffftt again. Got an Iota DLS-55 through Amazon with 1-day shipping and am back in business after soldering up a couple of new connectors. I don't know squat about electronics, but the innards of the Iota sure look a lot more robust than the Revo's.

Bummer because I thought those PS's might work better with FMA's own products. Still livin' an' learnin' []
Sometime during the Summer, after the Nats, I'll be in a similar boat. I have an electrified Pardner coming up. Deal too good to pass up.

Playing with the little electric Vanquish is just not the same as palying with a 2 meter, capably powered crate. Care and feeding of the bats will have to be learned, but I have good sources nearby (Dean Pappas and Dave Lockhart)
Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 AM
MTK

I am using a new fuse and I am getting significantly more vibration noise from the pipe and its attachment in the tunnel. The only thing different is the motor was mounted last year using well nuts through the firewall. I am suspicious the well nuts were actually reducing some vibration. I may try the well nuts again later. For now it just needs to get in the air. I have contest in two weeks and we haven't been able to get out to the field. We have had rain practically everyday for the last month... not okay.

Tele,

I think I have posted photos somewhere in here on how I mount the pipe. It's a simple single Lord type rubber isolator with a U shaped pipe holder. Dave Brown actually sells something very similar. The U shaped holder is made from carbon cloth but could just as easily be made from aluminum sheet. The holder has tabs on it around which I fit a silicone rubber band like an oring. I place the mount at the approximate CG of the pipe; the front side is attached directly to the header. Simple, effective and lightweight. Been mounting pipes this way for almost as long as I've been flying Pattern.

Hard mounting this engine isn't that bad actually. It's about the smoothest running 2 stroke in this size I've experienced. BUT, soft mounting reduces noise substantially
Old 05-11-2011, 05:42 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Matt,

PM Sent,

Arch
Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

Matt,

PM Sent,

Arch
I have just over a gallon of Avgas through the engine now since the sealed bearing change Todd made to my #1 engine. The sealed bearing (additional crankcase packing) and the move to leaner Avgas running has made the engine purr. At least as strong as before the change but much quieter.

At the contest this wekend a few folks actually noticed the quietness of the set-up and commented on its stronger power output. Have stayed with the 16x12 APC. I briefly tried the new MDK 18.75x10 but I could hear the engine sag, especially towards the end of the run so I went back to the 16x12
Old 05-22-2011, 03:49 PM
tele1974

I ran it to a couple of bugs already this season.  First time out I didn't check to see if the hall sensor pickup was secured.  That should probably be checked every preseason.  Its not coming out again now.   And today I threw a hall sensor magnet.  I hope Todd can get one out to me.  I am leaving Thursday morning for my very first contest.    
Old 05-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Add me to the Hall sensor "lost magnet" group.

I searched all over our 90 acre flying site and just couldn't seem to find it. Getting old is terrible, the eyes are the first to go.

Todd got mine to me in two days.

I am not great at mixing JB Weld for max strength and I was thinking about staking it in place, but will only do that if it comes out again.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:47 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

Add me to the Hall sensor ''lost magnet'' group.

I searched all over our 90 acre flying site and just couldn't seem to find it. Getting old is terrible, the eyes are the first to go.

Todd got mine to me in two days.

I am not great at mixing JB Weld for max strength and I was thinking about staking it in place, but will only do that if it comes out again.
Hey gang,

Does anybody know anyone that can relocate the hall sensor and magnet on a gasser? I have a larger displacement engine that has it's hall sensor on the side of the crankcase rather than at 180 degrees, as Todd has on his 180's.

TIA
Old 05-30-2011, 10:48 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

I flew mine a couple of times yesterday, all went well, no issues.  The accelerator pump carb makes starts so easy, the throttle response great.  I did open up the cowling area as compared to last year, and revised the throttle curve.  It was turning the Vess 18-6 about 9400 on the ground.  The other thing is, I flew with the SFG's on the EF Extra for the first time and it really makes KE's just stupid easy with alot less rudder.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:53 AM
tele1974

I flew my EF Extra 78" at my first IMAC contest this weekend and took a second place. Real happy about that. The Syssa ran great all day. Started with one or two flips on each of the 6 rounds. I ran a 18x6 Xoar prop and had to run it hard to get over the top into the wind. At the end of the day on Saturday I noticed that their was oil or grease on the hub and between the hub and crank case. Did I blow the front bearing? That might explain why it was struggling on up lines if it is responsible for holding the crank case pressure. I haven't checked the rpm's, I haven't even unpacked yet.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:06 PM
MTK

I flew my EF Extra 78'' at my first IMAC contest this weekend and took a second place. Real happy about that. The Syssa ran great all day. Started with one or two flips on each of the 6 rounds. I ran a 18x6 Xoar prop and had to run it hard to get over the top into the wind. At the end of the day on Saturday I noticed that their was oil or grease on the hub and between the hub and crank case. Did I blow the front bearing? That might explain why it was struggling on up lines if it is responsible for holding the crank case pressure. I haven't checked the rpm's, I haven't even unpacked yet.
Hey that's great!!

Last year I had a similar problem with the front bearing. Todd replaced it with a new, fully sealed bearing and between the balance of last year's running and this year's so far, I've logged more than 100 runs (around 1500 minutes) running time on the engine with no front bearing issues. Earlier this Spring Todd replaced the main bearing with a similar fully sealed bearing which helped "pack" the case a bit. That move plus moving to 100% Avgas and leaning the engine for Avgas running, has helped everywhere practical. The engine transitions better and has a better top end. Still get a jump at around 3K rpm but it is minor.

Today's running could have been a little leaner still since it was 92F and 60% RH at my field. Finished the second gallon of Avgas. No going back to pump gas for me
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 AM
tele1974

Any of you guys going to be at Weak Signals?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.