Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is there really a difference

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:13 PM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there really a difference

between the elevon pre mix and the V-TAIL pre mix ?

Last night this hit me like a ton of bricks. I have never flown a true V-Tail plane but I understand the set up which IMO is the same as ELEVONS.

feel free.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:46 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Is there really a difference

Yes there is a big differance. Elevon is a mix of elevator and aileron on two wing control surfaces (this is for use on flying wing or delta type aircraft) and V tail is a mix of rudder and elevator functions on the two surfaces of a V type tail.

John
Old 02-01-2006, 03:51 AM
RC-Captain

V tail is a mix of rudder and elevator functions on the two surfaces of a V type tail.
Your point is understood , but if I use the V-tail mix on a wing style plane , will I not get the same result when flying, IE. stick up both ailerons go down vs both elevators go down, stick down both ailerons go up vs both elevators go up, stick left the left aileron goes up and the right down which the same happens on the elevator with the V-Tail mix.

I guess I should have said the same result with flight can be achieved using either of the two mixes in both types of planes, V-tail and Delta Wing planes.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:43 AM
Dr1Driver

You don't get the same effect unless you hook the ailerons to the rudder channel. Then you're using left stick to roll the plane. Could be confusing. V-tail mix is not usually programmable as to what channels it mixes. It's usually set for elevator-rudder and can't be changed. If your radio allows "soft" programmable mixing, then try it.

Dr.1
Old 02-01-2006, 07:11 AM
RC-Captain

Why would it be confusing . The first planes I flew only had elevator and rudder. So the left stick controlled the roll and the right the pitch. But I was thinking of a V-Tailed sail plane which doesn't have a rudder but only elevators. So after reading what you typed if I purchased this type of plane, and used V-tail mixing I would have to use two sticks to fly . But what I am thinking is if I use the aileron mix instead I will be able to fly the plane with only the right stick and use the left for throttle.

Thanks for the info I will try it some time.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:15 AM
Dr1Driver

It might be confusing if you have other planes that use the right stick for ailerons.

Dr.1
Old 02-01-2006, 07:26 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On a Hitec or Futaba radio, elevon mix will mix channels 1 and 2, both being controled from the right stick. V-tail mix will mix channels 2 and 4 with channel 4 controlled from the left stick. That is the difference.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:37 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

Why would it be confusing . The first planes I flew only had elevator and rudder. So the left stick controlled the roll and the right the pitch. But I was thinking of a V-Tailed sail plane which doesn't have a rudder but only elevators. So after reading what you typed if I purchased this type of plane, and used V-tail mixing I would have to use two sticks to fly . But what I am thinking is if I use the aileron mix instead I will be able to fly the plane with only the right stick and use the left for throttle.

Thanks for the info I will try it some time.
A full house V tail sailplane does have a rudder. It is created by the coordinated movement of the rudervator surfaces ( that is what the V tail surfaces are called ) in opposite directions. You would control this from the left stick in Mode 2 set-up just as you would with a standard tail.

Now, if you had a v-tail 3 channel plane with dihedral in the wings, you would connect the servos to channels 1 and 2 on a hitec/futaba and use the elevon mix so you could control pitch and roll/yaw from the right stick. However you would have to reverse the directions for channel 1 in order to get the proper effect. The reason being that, with elevons, in order to bank right, the right elevon would go up. In order to go right with a V tail the right surface would go down.

Both will bank and turn the plane, but they do it from a different part of the fuselage in a differnt manner.

Confusing? Yes I suppose it could be confusing. Having worked with V tail and standard tail, elevon and full house planes I am used to it so it is not confusing to me. Just experience.