Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 AM
brenthampton79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

I like mine a lot, I already had A futaba 10c when I bought the a9 and I have already sold 4 of my futaba rxs on eBay to get 6 hitec rxs. I fly mostly glow 40-60 size planes. Hope this helps
Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I usually reside in the Jet Forums. Question, what is the concensis here on the Aurora 9? I have one now and will be testing it. How do you guys like it?
This thread has been ongoing for over a year. Ever since the A9 was announced. There is a similar thread on another site. Every aspect of the radio has been discussed many times over. I think that you are not getting a response because there are many pages you can read to get up to speed on how this radio is perceived.

I believe this radio has a great number of features for the money. You can fly 2.4Ghz Hitec receivers or use a 72Mhz RF Module and fly 72Mhz Hitec and Futaba receivers. There is Telemetry modules you can purchase.

The Service and Support I have gotten from Hitec has been great, for years.

This radio compares very well with the Spektrum DX8 and the Futaba 8FG.
Thanks for the reply. I don't have time to go through 144 pages. I know what the radio does. I was looking for opinions as to its reliability in the field and weather or not after ''discussing it for over a year'' as you say, the people who talked about it here still recommend it.

This is a very simple request.
I have not seen any Negative postings on this thread. You might want to check out the responses on FG.

I have been posting on RCU for many years. There is always someone who will not take the time to review a thread and wants an instant synopsis. You would do well to review what has been written. If you cop an attitude, you will likely get no response.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: brenthampton79

I like mine a lot, I already had A futaba 10c when I bought the a9 and I have already sold 4 of my futaba rxs on eBay to get 6 hitec rxs. I fly mostly glow 40-60 size planes. Hope this helps
Thank you very much. This was the kind of response I was looking for!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:35 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had Futaba, Spektrum and Hitec, stayed with the Hitec. I didn't have any trouble with the other two but I just felt the Aurora 9 fits my needs best.

Simple touch screen programming
No satelite receivers to locate in your plane
The option of not broadcasting when you turn on you TX, almost forces you to confirm you are on the correct model.
Nice price, and reasonable priced receivers

I have had mine on electric, glow and gas with no troubles at all. My opinion is this is the radio set up the market has been waiting for.

Andy
Old 06-01-2011, 08:58 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually reside in the Jet Forums. Question, what is the concensis here on the Aurora 9? I have one now and will be testing it. How do you guys like it?
This thread has been ongoing for over a year. Ever since the A9 was announced. There is a similar thread on another site. Every aspect of the radio has been discussed many times over. I think that you are not getting a response because there are many pages you can read to get up to speed on how this radio is perceived.

I believe this radio has a great number of features for the money. You can fly 2.4Ghz Hitec receivers or use a 72Mhz RF Module and fly 72Mhz Hitec and Futaba receivers. There is Telemetry modules you can purchase.

The Service and Support I have gotten from Hitec has been great, for years.

This radio compares very well with the Spektrum DX8 and the Futaba 8FG.
Thanks for the reply. I don't have time to go through 144 pages. I know what the radio does. I was looking for opinions as to its reliability in the field and weather or not after ''discussing it for over a year'' as you say, the people who talked about it here still recommend it.

This is a very simple request.
I have not seen any Negative postings on this thread. You might want to check out the responses on FG.

I have been posting on RCU for many years. There is always someone who will not take the time to review a thread and wants an instant synopsis. You would do well to review what has been written. If you cop an attitude, you will likely get no response.
Yes John I know this. Like I said, I don't have time to go through all of that info. Thanks for those who have responded to the question.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:50 PM
A.T.

Heads up,

Aurora 9 - After Market Accessories: Caution re Opti-kill, Duralite, Powerbox, Switches, Leads etc.
has been on the FAQ page since at least 19 Dec 2010.

31 May 2011 added: Hitec Service Bulletin
2.4GHz System Warning May 31st, 2011
WARNING – 2.4GHz AFHSS System locks out when used with an optical kill switch.

Hitec USA’s service department has received reports that some users of our 2.4GHz AFHSS System have experienced system lockouts that have resulted in the loss of control of their aircraft. While there are several factors that can contribute to this, including poor power distribution or improper equipment installation, the increased volume of these reports has prompted an investigation in order to determine the cause. Our preliminary observations have suggested that the use of Optical Kill devices in conjunction with ignition engines is somehow causing our system to fail.
In light of this discovery it is suggested that users of our 2.4GHz AFHSS system discontinue the use of Optical Kill switches until a determination into the cause of these failures is made and a solution is found. We sincerely apologize for this situation and to anyone that has been affected by this issue.

A timely reminder that after market accessories are always a problem with any system with which their manufacturer does not specifically confirm compatibility.

Hitec RCD and other system manufacturers do not assure compatibility with after market equipment. There's just too much of it out there for RC system manufactueres to be able to test.
It's also not their responsibility to insure such compatibility. The maker of the after market equipment must make sure their items are compatible with all other systems equipment if indeed they are making such a claim.

Many times, non-Hitec equipment is used with Hitec equipment even when no claims of compatibility are made by the maker of the non-Hitec equipment, yet the modeler expects universal compatibility.

Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 06-01-2011, 04:00 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

The option of not broadcasting when you turn on you TX, almost forces you to confirm you are on the correct model.
Can't use an optic kill switch.

Safe radio.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:11 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

I'm able to successfully use both RCXL and Smart-Fly Optical cut-off systems. Don't have a clue what makes my set-ups different.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Michel

Hi

Quote : Can't use an optic kill switch.

Really don,t understand this comment , and why , " NOT " , I have three of them on my WarBirds . Did I misread something here

Michel
Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Although I havn't used optic kill switches, many have without issues. Perhaps it is incompatable with just a few brands of switches. Don't know for sure just an observation.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just wondering, I was programming a plane with my new A9 tonight and adding Expo changed the neutral position of the surfaces. I have never experienced this with a radio. What is this about and did I do something wrong?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:49 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

And with the optic kill switches, I use them in all of my gassers. I wonder which brand is giving the problem? All of my gassers are still on my Futaba radio. I was going to be converting them all to my Hitec. Hmm..what to do? Stick with Futaba or lose the switch?
Old 06-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Ken Cz

I contacted Electro Dynamics regarding thier Optical Kill Switches and compatibility with the new Aurora 9 2.4 System.
Shown below is the actual response I received from thier President:

Andy - thanks for the quick Professional response on this issue. I will continue to fly my ED Kill Switch with my Aurora 9 2.4 System in high confidence: Text follows:

""Hi Ken

We are not aware of any issues using our EDR-107 Fiber Optic Kill Switches with any brand 2.4GHz systems. We have tested it with the Hitec Aurora-9 system with no issues.

Our system is different from other manufacturers' "optical kill switches". Ours feature TOTAL fiber-optic isolation both electrically and physically, thru the plastic fiber optic cable, so that you have physical distance (up to a few feet, depending on installation) between the high-voltage ignition and the sensitive radio system.

Others may only use an opto-coupler on their PC board, which means that the ignition noise is still in close proximity (fractions of inches) to the radio electronics thru the kill switch circuit board. Some even share a common ground between the ignition and the radio system despite the opto-coupler.

Our EDR-107 Fiber Optic Kill Switch systems share no common ground, indeed, no copper wires, not even PC board traces between the ignition system and the radio system. As far as the radio is concerned, all it's doing is "lighting an infrared LED", it doesn't even know an ignition system exists.

Nothing beats physical distance when keeping high voltage noise away from the radio.

Hope that helps!

We will be at the CARDS Warbird meet this weekend, we will be flying the latest version of our fiber-optic kill switch, the EDR-107ADP Fiber Optic Kill Switch with Advanced Deadstick Prevention, on a 2.4GHz module-based radio (XPS modules on a JR 9303).

ADP prevents the accidental "whoops, wrong switch" syndrome, e.g., hitting "KILL" instead of Dual-rate, ro KILL instead of retracts... we've all done it, resulting in a deadstick at an inconvenient time... now, the EDR-107ADP gives you 5 seconds grace to change your mind, or if you do need an instant emergency kill, just click the Tx KILL switch twice. If you will be at CARDS, do come by our tent and see our demo and "shoot the breeze".

Best regards.

Andy Low
ElectroDynamics, Inc.
Home of "No-Hassle" RC Electronics
ED-Nano - Complete A123 battery systems everyone can enjoy!
http://www.electrodynam.com
1-800-337-1638 (orders)
1-734-422-5420 (info)""

Old 06-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Chancho

Removed comment...I'll stay out of any lockout issues.But Iwould like to hear more official word from Hitec with these latest warning and claims ofoptisolators causing lockout.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:51 AM
AJsToyz

ORIGINAL: T. Bob

Can't use an optic kill switch.

Safe radio.
If your going to quote use the whole quote " No problems "

If this turns out to be an Opto Brand problem that effects other radios ( hasn't that we know of ) Going to be a crow fest out there!!
Old 06-05-2011, 05:51 AM
wkevinm

HPP-22 ON MAC

Are there any plans for HITEC to provide software for the HPP-22 so it can run on a MAC. I have a MAC and an older PC (running XP, and not on line) and thought I could download the HPP-22 software and get my PC running, unfortunately I get a "ntcdwm cpu instructional error" on the PC...when I install the HPP22 download and remember why I went to MAC in the 1st place.

So my question is to HITEC, since MAC systems are pretty popular and HITEC looks like it is responsive to modern users, why not software for the MAC? (not boot-camp or parallel, since I don't want Windows on my MAC)
Old 06-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Ken Cz

Can someone please explain exactly what the 'system lockout' problem is?: That is, what are the circumstances?
I assume since there is some level of evidence that the problem is related to the Optical Kill Switches that this problem has been detected on the bench?

If it has only happened in the air (bad news of course) how is it being determined to be caused by a incompatibility between the Hitec 2.4 System and the Optical Kill Switch?

Basically, I would like to know how do I check my systems on the bench to see if the problem exists in my set-up with my components? Has Hitec duplicated this alledged problem?

Just trying to understand - I doubt any us like flying gassers without a kill switch and at this point I am not ready to go to a manual kill solution like a servo operated choke.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 06-05-2011, 04:19 PM
AJsToyz

Well you could always go with a servo operated ignition switch?? As far as we know is they are looking into it. I'm actually surprised with the supposed issue we have not seen anyone in the forums stepping up to complain?

I'm using an IBEC on my one plane do to room, so it might not be going up for a while. I have other things to fly so I can wait. I just hope its not a 12 month investigation! [X(]

Andy
Old 06-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Ken Cz

Yes, I guess there are options but I just don't want to tear my plane up at this point 'just in case'. Hopefully, Hitec will get to the bottom of this quickly. Per Andy at Electro-dynamics he did the testing with the Hitec System and has no problems with his Kill system - see earlier post.

I have another 30CC plane with a IBEC system too that is currently on a Spektrum System. I was just about to convert it over to my A9 but I guess I will wait for now. Not sure I can trust either system at the moment.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:07 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Same here! Just got Hitec 2.4 because I don't trust DSM2...
ORIGINAL: Ken Cz

I have another 30CC plane with a IBEC system too that is currently on a Spektrum System. I was just about to convert it over to my A9 but I guess I will wait for now. Not sure I can trust either system at the moment.
As I sai
Old 06-06-2011, 02:48 AM
paul7194

I just don't know how Hitec can be responsible for making sure every tom dick and harry's invention is going to work on their radio. Companies like Microsoft gives a seal of approval to little companies trying to write software that will work with their windows program. If the seal is there then it should be safe to try. Maybe companies like Hitec and others should come up with a list of products they approve but even if they don't it shouldn't reflect something is wrong with their radio when someones invention causes a problem. I read were Hitec did issue a warning about the use of these kill switches quit some time ago but apparently many are still in use.

Just my 2 pennies
Old 06-06-2011, 05:17 AM
Chancho

Google “FlyingGiants, Alert HiTec Optic Kill Warnings," if you are interested more in this specific subject.It would be hard to reinvent the conversation on this thread, but very interestingread on this subject.

I had to look into this issue being an owner of the A9 and its periphery systems. For my purposes, my confidence stays high and like the dead band issue which doesn't directly affect me either, I will be back to %100 when the issue is resolved and happy to get back to discussing and worrying about other more enjoyable aspects of the radio.

Now, back to figuring out how to set servo position failsafees on teh HPP-22 and the via the radio itself.Setting them up has notbeen so straight forward for me.Ican't seem to get the values to stick in the HPP-22. We'll see. "Oh, there is an update to the HPP-22 this weekend."
Old 06-06-2011, 06:28 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

I have one Gas plane where I use the choke servo as a kill if necessary. Building a second kit now that will be Gas. The choke kills my engine dead every time (ZDZ SUPER 80)... The down side is it is a royal pain to restart if I ever kill it with the choke. Also, I arrange the linkages on this one and the one being built so that if the engine were to break away, it will pull the choke closed. I know the optic is probably better but I just havn't jumped on that wagon yet.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Chancho

Sounds like the system works WildCrashWilly. It's not something you use every day, anyhow. I'm not sure what route to take on my latest gas build with the A9 - the opti or not. Hopefully something will clear up before then.

On a separate issue of failsafe, I don't know why I've never taken the time to setup failsafe until now. Just something I really never used. But it finally bugged me that when I turn off the transmitter first, (like when you need to walk to pick up your plane at the end of the runway - never happens?) that my throttle servo would jam full forward. And of course when I was in a hurry this weekend to get it done before the field - I just didn’t take the proper time to read and understand it.

On the HPP-22, it sets it, butt the numbers don't stick. It doesn't actively read from the receiver to tell you where the failsafe are set at. So unless you have them remembered or written down - good luck. Or maybe if you have a servo programmer you can see the pulse width and record it when setting up the plane so it'll tell you. Basically with the HPP-22, you set the servo where to go in micro second positioning reference and then hit the save button or back button will ask you to save... From there the failsafe position is recorded into the receiver. It was just confusing that there was no feedback when cycling the power on the whole apparatus with the receiver/HPP-22. And on the radio there is really no reference to position in regards to micro second as referred to on the HPP-22. Just confusing for someone who doesn't go into this detail with the radio every day.

For setting failsafe without the HPP-22 I watched Finless Bob's video and that was pretty straight forward; holding the receiver link button for 6 seconds until flashing with the radio on and sticks set to failsafe - that is the easiest way. I just had to use the HPP-22 because the option was there.

Again with the A9 - there are usually more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:49 AM
rctom

Just a couple comments from my experience.

I've been selling the RCEXL ignition cutoff device and have had no complaints from anyone, it seems to be solid product.

My personal experience with cutoffs is limited. I use a servo on the choke which doubles as an emergency kill. This system is cheap, weighs under 2 oz. and really works well for me. It has the added advantage of making the choke adjustable. IF I have a cantankerous engine that requires some time to warm up I can put the choke on part way to let the engine warm up.

TF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.