Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Panzer IV upgrade, roadwheels & new Komodo+ (a Squad Video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Panzer IV upgrade, roadwheels & new Komodo+ (a Squad Video)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I think us tankers are a bit more focused than the other groups. Tanking is a self contained hobby in itself. We tend not to stray as much as the others. If you notice we are pretty active too We also do a lot of mods and scratch builds while the others are just usually repairing or upgrading. When people see this section for the first time I bet they are surprised at the activity here.

As for the Clark board, it really isnt a bad option. It does support the Benidinni too, so that is a huge plus. The IBU2 is good, but I know of no one that has the board so I cannot comment. The specs look really good on it, but I think the reason it hasn't made much of an impact here is price and location. The El Mod board is quite nice as well if you can spare a pretty penny, it has a lot of nice features and even supports brushless motors too. I would contact Curtis over at Immortal Hobbies and have a talk with him. He is the Clark distributor for US/Canada and knows his stuff.

Oh and just out of curiosity, what quads do you fly? I just recently got done with a 330mm Multiwii powered quad running 4 cell lipo. My next build will probably be another so the gf and I can fpv race
Old 12-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by CHIEFSONN
Yes I Did Gary,WOW are they sweet. great job thank you & Ill get you the postage I owe to you. right now I am going to be trying the Clark board, (the TK 35 its a very small board) designed for 1/35 but was told it will work and preform well with my build. that i's my scratch built DickerMax. There is also the TX 22 that can be purchased from Immortal hobbies, and for the transmitter I'm still debating on what transmitter and receiver I will get. I looking for one with at least a 6 channels,can be programmed to run multiple tanks, where as the receivers don't coast an arm and a leg, but if they are to take my legs they will get the replacement knees with them LOL.

Any suggestions guys on a good choice for a transmitters
A good TX is the FS9X. Technically it is the same as the Turnigy 9X, but it does come with better firmware imo. I have had both and I liked the FS9X firmware better. It is however no biggie to get a smartie board and flash an opensource firmware like OPENTX. Then you are free to do as you wish with the TX and are not limited by the manufacturer.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I thought the best way was to go with the tankER9X firmware. I'm just starting to learn this stuff so it would be a big help if you could explain why you like the FS9X better. Once you install the tankER9X does it make a difference which you have, FS9X or Turnigy 9X?
Old 12-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Imex-Erik

The Turnigy is made by FS. It is rebranded under a few different names like Eugle and such but they are all the same TX. The FS version is using a different firmware, but they can all run the same thing. It is just FS's flavor of the same OS. Other firmwares can be flashed by getting something called a "smartie board" which allows you to upgrade/change firmwares without a single solder. Running OPENTX on any TX is the preferred way as there are more options and settings. You can map anything to any button, program button combos, add telemetry, and much more with OPENTX. I am trying to get bossman to get me a Taranis or a FS9X for here at work, when I get them I'll most likely flash it and make it better
Old 12-03-2014, 12:28 PM
CHIEFSONN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric if you do get the boss-man to get you the Taranis or a FS9X will you post a how to video with it, I don't quite fallow you with what needs to be done,and it might help another to understand it .thank you for your reply though.

Dan I wanted to answer your reply which to me sounds a lot easier,but as i read on there was also a reply from Erik. so I want to thank you both,. you guys are a great source of help to the hobbie . Dan however informed me the coast. Erik do you have a coast.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Imex-Erik

Of course! Now that I have some extra help I will have time to sit down and make more videos and such for you guys. This includes mods as well. When I get my RC2TG in I will do a write up, I don't know if I'll get a Taranis, that is just me hoping
The reason I say to go with these guys is to support your local hobby shop. If we all buy Turnigy just because it is "cheap and works" then eventually it will be harder and harder to find a part locally. A Turnigy 9X will do, but for an extra $10 or so you can support your hobby shop. Heck if you count in shipping it will probably be less!
The most channels I can see an average person using is 5-6. Anything more than that is for the true modders such as LED channels, extra outside servos/motors (winches and snowplows), motorized commanders, sounds, and etc. With that being said though a good TX will last a LONG time and can be used with multiple models pretty easily. I like to use Mode 2 transmitters and swap the elevation to a servo. Then you dont have to use a self center mod for the transmitter stick and you can still use it to fly quads and helis. As soon as the Sherman rush calms down and I feel our newest tech can handle a few things I will put up some new videos of lots of things!

Edit: Costs....
I recommend Diamond Hobby for FlySky products, he is a good friend of ours and is an EXPERT flyer. He should be able to get almost any FlySky product you need. FS also just came out with a 6ch telemetry based model too, here is the page for that: http://www.diamondhobby.com/electron.../flysky-i6-ia6
It seems he is out of the 9X right now, but he does have the Taranis..... Bossman get me one please!!

Last edited by Imex-Erik; 12-03-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

How about a how-to video setting up the 9X for tanks? Or how to "flash"? Or just about anything that has to do with the 9X.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Imex-Erik

I'll see what I can do, I was actually looking at some FS models yesterday and I think I might go with the FS-I6 with telemetry first, then the 9X. The FS-I6 supports telemetry and is pretty cheap. We could use things like voltage meters and rpm sensors. With the RPM sensors we could get more exact scale speeds, and with the voltage meter we could monitor our lipos/nimh batteries from afar. The 9X will come around the same time, but I think the FS-I6 is a great idea as well. I was thinking about the Taranis but the average customer will not have one of those, while these transmitters are easily obtainable.