Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Launching Tk60

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 03:17 PM
sergeantseabass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clark I think you got a real good thing lined up. i hope your able to post a video of it in action. As far as Max-U52 is concerned he did make it very clear that he is not a reviewer and that it was just HIS opinion based on HIS experience. I consider him a friend and I don't like seeing anyone try to bash anyone on here. I understood what you were trying to say with your explanation of what your board can/will be able to do. An honestly I think you SHOULD be a little bais over YOUR board. I would be worried if you weren't.

In the end please try to take everything that is said on the forums with a grain of salt. Some people have a preference for certain boards/tanks/electronics and don't want to hear that there might be something that is better than they have, or feel that just because you mention that you can do some of the same things as other that you are in some way bashing them.

I look forward to the TK60 possibly being my first clark board and I think it would be a perfect fit for a M1 Abrams that I plan to do evenually.

So good for you, keep up the good work and always have passion for your product!

Bill
Old 03-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i love the Clark Boards they were affordable to get my tanks ready to battle they control nicely and the sound was always way better then the Heng Long
the Clark was more realistic which was a plus for me i think when this new Board comes out or if i read wrong if it is out , it will be AWESOME i want more realistic everytime and it seems like this is what Clark is providing

Thanks Clark

Greg
Old 03-25-2015, 05:20 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes this thread kind of got sidetracked.

I reread the features of this board and it is impressive. Not sure how a person will manage all these features, but it even has adjustable AMMO energy. I hope he sets it up with a default to the basic Tamiya game so if you get lost in the programming you can fail safe in a hurry to something that gets you on to the field in a hurry.

So that would be my wish. An easy Tamiya default setting to keep it simple for those that are happy with simple.

Clark. I am not sure how far along you are on the final design, but it might be an idea to go with something different for programing. Perhaps even a computer program. Same idea as the sound programming but use it for IR game play set up instead. This would allow a club to design a game file that could be shared with all guys showing up at the club. Each tanker would bring his tank to the registration table and the IR game program could be downloaded into his tank making it much easier to make use of all the great features you are putting in.. Without this control I am afraid all the features may never get fully used to their potential.

Last edited by YHR; 03-25-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:30 PM
sergeantseabass

I think a default tamiya setting and a custom setting would be great. that way you could switch to default tamiya when it comes time to battle at an event and then just switch back to your cuttom setting when your just messing around and wanna see fow quick you can make it shoot. Use something like a dip switch or something. I think it would be pretty cool. But either way i like the sound of this board. Not to sure if it is actually available or still in development.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:38 PM
YHR

I was thinking of predefined settings for all the different classes of tanks. You show up with a panther, the club would download its panther file into your tank, and then everyone with a panther would have exactly the same set up.

Of course a Sherman setting would be quite different then the panther, but the important thing is the Club would have a way of easily controlling all of the variables. This would allow growth, Without this ease of control I am afraid it is like herding cats and you could have chaos on the battlefield.

Last edited by YHR; 03-25-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:48 PM
sergeantseabass

ok I can see that. At that point I really think that it would have to come down to how you connect to the board and the ease of changing the settings. If you have to use some kind of proprietary connector to make these changes I think it would throw some people off of the board. But if you can make the connection quick and easy that would go along way for it. the days of the old sony remote I think really should go the way of the buffalo. In this day and age it's time for a better control like an app for a phone or something. Even a laptop that could plug in with just a usb cable and a simple easy to use program would be a step in the right direction.

But thats just my opinion on that
Old 03-25-2015, 06:11 PM
YHR

Exactly, Build a Bluetooth smart phone app that you could use to program the sound and the Battle settings. wow would that be great. No wires to hook up.

This year I bought some Scaleletrix hardware and an Ipad app for slot cars. Blue tooth connectivity to your slot car track for timing, fuel load and tires. The technology is in place to really do this right, and I think Clark was playing around with tank control from a Smart phone so perhaps he can think about this as a way of programming settings on this board..

Last edited by YHR; 03-25-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:37 PM
scottlarson925
My Feedback: (2)

Unfortunately us Luddites that eschew all that fancy tomfoolery actually appreciate the simplemindedness of a cheap and readily available Sony remote to do our programming, but then we also drive cars that we can still fix ourselves. Now if I could just figure out this damn computer...
Old 03-25-2015, 06:59 PM
sergeantseabass

but even the sony remote is just another thing that you have to ensure that you pack. but you do bring up a good point on that. I will concede that point. I even understand that there are those that fear change. But at the same time it can be difficult to even use the sony remote. I saw that first hand when a guy was trying program and trying to remeber what all the buttons are supposed to do can be down right infuriating. I would be more ok with the sony remote way if someone would at least photo etch a plate to go over the remote and show what the buttons are supposed to do.

But at the same time why should we be relogated to antiquated systems when the possibility of so much more is just there within our grasp.

Downside I am not that guy. But i'm sure that there are people on here who are.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:28 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, for the most part gotta keep it simple and the interface user friendly if it's going to the masses. Like I said before implementation is the hardest part of adapting anything new to a large
group. At one point we were thinking of buying 20-30 integy momentum chips that are plug and play through your RX to make tank movements more realistic and slow down the jack rabbit shoot and scoot. But once you pass them out, get them installed, and get the group ready to run again your wasting half a day. As organized as you are, things will take MUCH longer than
anticipated when you have a bunch of people who only see each other a couple times a year and want to yap, show and tell, take a leak, etc. Dip switch's would be the way to go. Have stock
tamiya as one setting and your preset custom the other. Then watch the inspection line grow longer and longer as people forgot to set their dip's accordingly....Ahhhh man. It is an amazing looking board and not trying to poo poo on it as I'm sure I'll grab one up as soon as it's available, just kinda been down this road with seeing the Elmod board and all it's potential go to the wayside. Could be different with the presence of Clark on the forums and I'm hoping it catches on for sure.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:43 PM
scottlarson925
My Feedback: (2)

And absolutely no disrespect intended to those who embrace all the latest and the greatest tehnology, but for me it somtimes seems like tech just for tech's sake and it gets in the way of the real fun; but that's just me...sorry, i'll shut up now.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:25 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by scottlarson925
And absolutely no disrespect intended to those who embrace all the latest and the greatest tehnology, but for me it somtimes seems like tech just for tech's sake and it gets in the way of the real fun; but that's just me...sorry, i'll shut up now.
No your point is no lost on us. It is a valid concern, and one I share. The BARC is simple, and I wanted it that way for a reason. However the market needs to be expanded. A hobby that appeals to the owners of smart phones stands to gain a lot. I went a little quiet on this board, because the smart phone app for slot cars garnered my attention. I wanted to see how it worked, so spent a couple of months playing around with slot cars, and this Scalextric app. Perhaps that generation of people who are wired into their smart phones might really be interested in our hobby if we could tap into something that interests them, Imagine walking up to a tank, connecting wirelessly through blue tooth to the onboard processor, and download sound and battle files. The app could be fashioned to be quite user friendly. None of this trying to remember buttons pushed or anything. Imagine pressing the graphic of a Panther tank and the sounds, armor and ammo are all downloaded. That easy that quick. Your smart phone app might have 10 graphics on it for the tanks you own. So on the contrary of this being hard, it is the opposite, For the user it could be very simple. You don't have to understand why it works, you just have to know that it does.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:05 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

So far this does look like a truly outstanding board, and I agree with all the comments that the programming needs to be updated from the obsolete Sony remote. I'm wondering why no one has mentioned this - just include the programmer with the board. If it's a Sony remote, include it. If it's a usb cable, include it. That works for all but smart phone apps, and at $250 for the board I would think a $10 remote or a $5 usb cable (probably much less when bought in bulk) shouldn't be that big a deal. And before anyone says it, I understand the need to keep cost down, but some things are worth it. I know of one board that only uses 10 amp motor controllers to keep costs down. I respectfully disagree with that approach. If the necessary equipment means a slight price increase, then so be it. Better than having a brand new board and not be able to use it because you can't find the item needed to program.

If clark can simplify programming (or at least accessibility to programming) then this just may be the board to beat all boards.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:30 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The TK60 looks really promising Clark!!! What is the max voltage it will support for the drive motor circuit?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:44 PM
clarkmodel

Originally Posted by tomhugill
Hey Clark do you have a sound preview of the new board?
Hi, Tom,

I'm doing prototype board now, will do preview video when it's ready

But I think you did watch this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqxp...LwQ_hg&index=4, it can already show how the TK60 mix engine rev up and rev down sound, and the smooth transit of sound. and will do more fine tuning, such as how the engine load affects engine volume, in next few month.

Other sound effect, such as
-Barrel elevation start
-Barrel elevation looping
-Barrel elevation stop
-Turret rotate start
-Turret rotate loop
-Turret rotate stop

They are already in Tk22.

Regards,
Clark

Last edited by clarkmodel; 03-26-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:59 PM
clarkmodel

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Yes, awesome looking board! As with the Elmod that has alot of these options as well it's all about implementation unfortunately. If everyone isn't using it, it's just bells and whistles.
If you can switch between standard battle damage ie. one shot, one hit and the more detailed battle damage then that will be fantastic. If your local club is running all TK-60's you could
battle with the more realistic damage/cannon settings, then if you travel to a larger event such as Danville, just hit a couple dips and be back to standard damage/cannon values. Clark, for directional battle damage will the user have to install separate IR sensors in the lower hull?
Hi,

I've received some suggestion and will come out a most easy and reliable way to set battle data and sound, one thing is for sure, configuration over sony remote will be kept in case user just want to do simple adjustment(don't you use it to shoot your tank? its fun!)

For directional battle damage, you do remind me to add additional channel for IR sensors for lower hull in directional battle unit, let you know when I have conclusion, but in the end, not everyone like complex things.

Regards,
Clark

p.s Sorry! Time to have lunch and new recoil system test now, will come back for the question I did not answer yet later.

Last edited by clarkmodel; 03-26-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:05 AM
Max-U52

Have you ever thought about designing a board specifically for airsoft? I'll bet you could make a really great airsoft tank board, and without having to have all the stuff for IR you could really add a lot of features. The TK60 looks like it's going to be really, really fantastic, so I think I wouldn't want to waste it on a plain airsoft tank, but some of the features would be really nice to have in ALL my tanks, ya know? And maybe if you didn't have all the IR stuff it would bring the cost of the airsoft board down? Just something to think about, and I bet there would be a very good market for dedicated airsoft boards. I think I'm rather typical for a new guy, and all but three of my 16 tanks are airsoft.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:06 AM
CaptainB

Great idea Max-U52 - I kinda like the airsoft versions too and a dedicated board would be great.

CaptB
Old 03-27-2015, 05:49 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The config file could be something as simple as a notepad document. Then you could have a micro USB port on the board, and you could use your phone charge cable to plug into a laptop. This might just seem simple to me because of my IT background though =]
Old 03-27-2015, 06:01 AM
YHR

Yes I think Clark is hearing what we are laying down

This market is too small to start varying the boards. Cost of production and market demand will only allow one design. The iR components on the board are minimal cost. However a Airsoft parameter file that you load up if that is what you want would be doable.

Anyone who has played with the Benedini programming will know what I am talking about. This same idea could be used for loading up control board parameters. You plug it into your lap top select the airsoft file, and download it on to the board. The file is all prebuilt for airsoft. Same idea for a Battle tank . IF a King Tiger has a reload time of 9 seconds, Armor for 9 hits, penetration value of 100, with 45 rounds, this could all be loaded in a King Tiger parameter file. All you need to do is download it to the board. It would make organizing an event that much easier. You don't have to worry about all these one off personal settings screwing up the fairness of the game. Maybe if speed table could be done as well. The technology and examples are out there to make this a reality.

Last edited by YHR; 03-28-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:41 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by clarkmodel
one thing is for sure, configuration over sony remote will be kept in case user just want to do simple adjustment(don't you use it to shoot your tank? its fun!).
So far this is the only thing about the new board that I don't like. Have you considered including the remote with the board? Or at least make it an option when you order? If I can get the remote and the board in the same package that would be much better, but again, this is only my personal opinion and I'm sure not everyone will agree with me.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:51 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Max-U52
So far this is the only thing about the new board that I don't like. Have you considered including the remote with the board? Or at least make it an option when you order? If I can get the remote and the board in the same package that would be much better, but again, this is only my personal opinion and I'm sure not everyone will agree with me.
I think Clark was saying that he is looking at another way to program the board, but you will also still have the option to use the Sony remote.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Max-U52

That would be cool, the ability to program with the remote but still have a USB connection. If you ask me (yeah, I know, nobody did) all boards should have a USB port, just so you can download future changes or updates via PC. All the RCTA boards have that capability, and it's a pretty good feature. You have to get a programming cable, but just once and the same cable fits all the RCTA boards. Then you just plug it in and download away.

So which is it, Clark? Will it be Sony remote programming ONLY or will the board also have another method of programming?

Another question - will the TK60 be TRUE plug and play or will we have to modify the tanks when it's installed like the TK22?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:09 AM
olegnA

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Another question - will the TK60 be TRUE plug and play or will we have to modify the tanks when it's installed like the TK22?
This is a very good question. I like the TK22 board because of its price and solid reputation and support. However, when I went to its website it says that minor wiring modification required. So I ended up buying 2 boards from a European supplier. They are pricey but they fulfill what I require of them.

Two reasons why I shied away from TK22:
1. Not plug in play for airsoft. Excellent board for IR, I pressume.
2. Tank wiring modification required. As I bought RTR tanks - I would like them to be as they were- stock. I had the impression as well that as soon as you modify the tanks that would VOID the warranty. Until of course I join this great forum and found out that modification was the name of the game, and Erik will support you and walk you through you build.

I shall be looking forward to this new TK60 and I am sure that all our personal inputs on this matter will be taken notice and given their due treatment and importance.

More power to you Mr. Clark and to your company.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:39 PM
sergeantseabass

I like hearing the ideas that are floating around on here about this new board. I hope Clark does too and is able to implement some if not all. As far as to sony remote or not to; I'd be ok if the remote was a bit more tanker friendly. There has to be some way to allow the user to easily identify what button does what on the remote with having to have a sheet of paper or your computer out everytime you want to change a setting. BUt maybe that is just because my memory on things like that is not always good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.