Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Moving into tanks - need a little advice from the pros

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Moving into tanks - need a little advice from the pros

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 09:34 AM
Skeezix4me

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving into tanks - need a little advice from the pros

Hello all - I've been flying fixed wing RC since the mid 90’s and rotary wing since 2013. I’m now looking into getting an RC tank as they seem cool, and I’d like to get my young kids into the RC hobby as well.
I’ve narrowed it down to 1/16th scale German Tiger 1, King Tiger, or Panther G, so my questions will be solely about these three models.
While cost isn’t really a factor, I’m not trying to ‘get the cheapest thing possible’.
It appears Torro/Taigen (I’m told they are the same thing, just different distributors) have a RTR metal versions of the three tanks I’m interested in that are totally scale, and painted.
Additionally, I’ve been told to ‘get a Tamiya’. It appear Tamiya tanks are only available as kits that require assembly (no problem for me), and painting (not something I’m interested in doing).

-Are Tamiya tanks metal or plastic? I’m getting conflicting info on this.
-Are the Torro/Taigen metal RTR 1/16 scale solid tanks (reliable/easy to work on)?
-Is there an advantage to plastic over metal?
-Are Tamiya tanks only available as kits?
-Are parts readily available for both Torro/Taigen and Tamiya tanks?

Many thanks ahead of time!
The following users liked this post:
herrmill (09-18-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 01:06 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezix4me
Hello all - I've been flying fixed wing RC since the mid 90’s and rotary wing since 2013. I’m now looking into getting an RC tank as they seem cool, and I’d like to get my young kids into the RC hobby as well.
I’ve narrowed it down to 1/16th scale German Tiger 1, King Tiger, or Panther G, so my questions will be solely about these three models.
While cost isn’t really a factor, I’m not trying to ‘get the cheapest thing possible’.
It appears Torro/Taigen (I’m told they are the same thing, just different distributors) have a RTR metal versions of the three tanks I’m interested in that are totally scale, and painted.
Additionally, I’ve been told to ‘get a Tamiya’. It appear Tamiya tanks are only available as kits that require assembly (no problem for me), and painting (not something I’m interested in doing).

-Are the Torro/Taigen metal RTR 1/16 scale solid tanks (reliable/easy to work on)?

Many thanks ahead of time!
Tamiya Tanks are primarily Plastic BUT very high quality.
The Hull is Plastic sheathed Ally, The downside is the electronics are getting dated.
Taigen/Torro Tanks come with a quick release that gives easy access to the Hull interior and the Tiger 1 /2 by virtue of the available space internally makes them very easy to work on, The downside is the difference in specifications through the price range, It will pay you to give close attention to what each Tiger 1/2 is offering because there is an element of duplication,You would be rewarded by purchasing an aftermarket control board from IBU./Elmod/Clark etc as Taigen/Torro's electronics are pretty basic.
If it is your intention to work on your Tank then a Plastic/ABS Body and Turret are far better than a metal body which by the way is only available from MATO, That is because the inevitable mistakes you make while modifying you Tank can readily be invisibly filled on a Plastic/ABS Body and Turret whereas a metal body and Turret will forever carry the scars of your mistakes,
Spares for Tamiya Tanks and Taigen/Torro Tanks are readily available indeed there are more upgrades available from all manner of sources for the Tiger 1 than for any other 1/16 Tank in the whole of the hobby.,
Old 09-15-2021, 08:50 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

The three Tamiya tanks you've cited are a hybrid of plastic and metal. Metal is used for structural parts such as hull bottom, torsion bar suspension, suspension arms, etc. In this case all three of them have plastic tracks, with the King Tiger's being particularly weak.

As pointed out above, plastic is easier to work on. Molded plastic parts have finer detail than molded metal parts. Plastic is also lighter, which taxes your electronics, drivetrain and suspension less than a heavy tank with a lot of metal parts.

They are available as XB (Expert Built) tanks, but I believe you would need to special order them and they don't come cheap, probably 2-3 times the cost of the unbuilt kit although it comes with a radio controller and battery.

Old 09-15-2021, 09:13 PM
Michal_Kaczorowski

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I highly recommend both Taigen and Tamiya. As you said Taigen/Torro is mostly RTR (although you can buy Taigen as a "kit" - not painted ARTR). Tamiya kits are... kits to build yourself

Parts are widely available for Taigen/Torro but for Tamiya not so much. Also Tamiya spare parts are as expencive as their kits. Some parts and details are interchangeable between manufacturers.

Most "pro" Taigen tanks have metal chassis (or at least sheet metal insert), metal wheels and tracks - see picture. Upper hull is mostly plastic which have advantages like ease of modifications, drilling, sanding etc. Turrets are mostly metal which causes some problems with the stiffness of the hull (modellers deal with this by strengthening them from the inside with sheet metal).

In general, those tanks are quite durable, but remember that they are not toys. They don't like tall grass and stones. Many of us change gearboxes and electronics for more realistic movement as stock are little too fast.

PS. Don't bother with BB version.

Last edited by Michal_Kaczorowski; 09-15-2021 at 09:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
herrmill (09-18-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 03:08 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Tamiya was the first, and still foremost, of 1/16 scale model tanks. Their electronics are 'plug and play' including the infra rot battle system available for all Tamiya tanks as a plug in addition. The Tamiya Protocol for Infrarot Combat is the competition standard in most of the world. Instructions are excellent and well laid out, quality of the kit parts is second to none. Spare parts and aftermarket transmissions and parts are readily available from various suppliers including in USA.

Your best source in US for Tamiya tank kits, spare parts and accessories is AAF Museum in Danville, Va. AAF Tank Museum PX The level of service and expertise available at Museum Store and at the numerous tank meets held on their massive indoor battlefield is first rate, no matter what question and/or problem you may have will be answered truthfully and completely. At the actual meets in Danville, the attendance is quite large and many of our acknowledged finest and expert tankers are at the meets and more than willing to help everyone with our hobby and the competitions.
The following 2 users liked this post by sevoblast:
herrmill (09-18-2021), Pcomm1.v2 (09-19-2021)