Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Official HPI Hellfire Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Official HPI Hellfire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:18 PM
bbmods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI Hellfire Thread

i have new pic of the hellfire from this past weekend. look at my gallery in my models. im also run the os 21 speed tune engine with the old head to keep it cooler
Old 05-17-2007, 01:34 PM
fasteddie2

I just checked tower hobbies and they have discontinued the hellfire ss kit.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:28 AM
gtr

Because of the HELLFIRE SS with K4.6 engine kit is coming .

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRTL1&P=ML

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70600.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	686713  
Old 05-18-2007, 06:59 AM
choops01

Hello All
Have been building my hellfire SS over the last couple nights. (taking my time).
This is my first 1/8 scale build and I never realized how many parts there were in these things.
Did anyone fit the filler blocks in the front bulkheads which hold the diff in place?
I have built the diffs and there is a little grinding (gears feel tight) between the ring and pinion. Is there a break in period with these or is something not correct?
Also installed the front suspension and the drive shafts fit very tight in the dif cups. I feel that this will free up after I run the truck a few times. Is this ok?
And finally are there any simple mods I should make to the truck as I am building it?
Thanks for your time.
Steve
Old 05-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Townsley

hey guys im thinking about getting a hellfire or matrix tr truggy. the hellfire is pretty expensive. what do you guys think would be the best to race with and take a beating at the track? is the hellfire worth the price? how does it compare to the cen matrix arena? ive been reviewing them both and would liek some feedback from the owners. so if you have any suggestions please let me know. thanks
Old 05-20-2007, 06:17 PM
zJatoRad

you can still find the SS kit on ebay for around less than 300 shipped. New in the box.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Townsley

wich dou think is better thoguh and performs better on a track?
Old 05-20-2007, 07:06 PM
aer-wubby

ORIGINAL: choops01

Hello All
Have been building my hellfire SS over the last couple nights. (taking my time).
This is my first 1/8 scale build and I never realized how many parts there were in these things.
Did anyone fit the filler blocks in the front bulkheads which hold the diff in place?
I have built the diffs and there is a little grinding (gears feel tight) between the ring and pinion. Is there a break in period with these or is something not correct?
Also installed the front suspension and the drive shafts fit very tight in the dif cups. I feel that this will free up after I run the truck a few times. Is this ok?
And finally are there any simple mods I should make to the truck as I am building it?
Thanks for your time.
Steve
Mine somewhat grind too. Move the shim to the other side (opposite of what the manual states). That should get rid of a little bit of grinding.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:00 PM
j-boy

choops.... I felt like my diffs were too tight as well when I built my SS kit. I spun them for quite awhile with a drill before I put them in the truck but never noticed much change. Anyway, They seem fine after a few races and I basicly forgot all about it.

So how about set up? I know I could probly find plenty of set up opinions if I read back through the thread but well you know... I,m not!! What diff oil front center and rear? Shock oil?? springs?? I need to get more traction bad! Track is super loose [] Has anybody figured out how to get rid of the nose diving yet? And I swear that I can turn right a lot better than I can turn left. I get full steering throw on the bench but seem to lose it on the track.

Just a few of the issues that I been having. Probably more my driving and limited set up knowledge than it is the Hellfire. I let a guy drive it at the track and he made it jump and handle like a dream. It's a great truggy and a lot of fun to take to the track cause nobody has one. everybody has seen the Revos and the 8eights but they have to stop and check out the Hellfire.

Anyway if someone has discovered a good hellfire set up post it for me pleeeeese
Old 05-25-2007, 07:42 AM
channah
My Feedback: (5)

Does ayone have any methods of improving the Hellfire SS steering? I have a Hi-tec servo with 160 oz, but the steering seems very limited. I think I should get more with that servo...any help?
Old 05-25-2007, 08:42 AM
fasteddie2

Does anyone have trouble with their Hellfire turning sharper to the right than to the left?

I've checked all of my radio endpoint and trim settings as well as the linkages on the truck but the angle of the wheels when turning right is sharper than going left.

I had to modify the servo mount so I can get the same amount of steering.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:30 PM
channah

I have the same issue, but my left is much sharper...
Old 05-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Kanza

This may sound odd, but the difference in steering response between right and left may be more a matter of how you control the wheel. It's kind of a subconsious thing, but it's something I picked up on when racing on-road. I spent most of my time at just one track, and got used to a layout that had a few long sweeping left turns and a pile of really tight right turns in the infield. As a result, my wrist became much more used to snapping the wheel hard right. I discovered this when I went to another track and fould that my response going through a quick s-bend was off in one direction.

Also. check the left to right balance of the truck. My pipe sits out furrther because of the long radius header I use. As a result, with the truck on a balancing point it leans a little to the left. As a result, the right rear tire comes up off the ground during hard rights and helps to rotate the truck. If this is the case, just grab a sticky weight like what the electric touring guys use and balance things out.

Sorry if I've sent you on a wild goose chase, but analysing things like these help to win races.

*runs off to find more caffiene*
Old 05-26-2007, 12:58 AM
zJatoRad

have you guys checked your Servo Saver? my uncle had steering problems on his brand new SS kit but then he saw the Servo Saver was kinda loose, after he fixed it, it handled way better.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:47 AM
j-boy

Hey ya'all! I have decided that one of my problems is simply slop in the steering syustem. []
I use a nomadio react and I had the endpoints set so that my steering servo never try'ed to push farther than the steering knuckles would allow. That's what the endpoint adjustments are for right? The problem though, was that you could pull the wheels back toward center a little if the endpoints weren't set past there maximum travel point. Setting the endpoints past the max travel allowed the servo to hold the wheels in position much better. So problem solved right? WRONG!!! Next thing I know I toasted a steering servo! So I guess I'm gonna grind a little off the hub carriers or steering knuckles to allow for a longer travel and see if that helps any. My hope is that if I can get a tighter endpoint on my servo, that the slop won't matter so much. I allways like to remind everybody that I'm basically a newb so take this advice at your own risk!!
Old 05-27-2007, 04:44 PM
agentM192

Hey I just got my Hellfire yesterday and I absolutely love it. Only problem is that it turns like crap. Right turns are OK and left turns are absoloutley terrible. Terrible as in super wide. I adjusted the trim and the secondary trim (Whatever that small knob is called) all the way and it's still [:@]. What exactly can I do?
Old 05-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Townsley

hey guys, need some help choosing between the jammin or the hellfire. i want something to race with and that can take a bating at the track. which do you guys think would be the best to go? ive seen a hellfire run at the local track, and its a beast. i also saw the jamin and it flies. anyway, ill be using it most to race with, but it needs to be durable and easy to repair. (specailly the way i like to drive [>:])lol.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:42 PM
channah

Yeah, I am going to gring a little away to allow more travel. That seemed to be the issue
Old 05-28-2007, 05:27 PM
aer-wubby

Made a little wallpaper out of my Hellfire SS .

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4...iressbggo1.jpg

Still haven't gotten a chance to run her as I'm waiting on a pipe..
Old 05-29-2007, 07:21 PM
j-boy

OK so I went through the whole steering system and this is what I came up with. I started with the steering knuckles and hubs. I ground a little clearence off of each side of the hubs and a little off of the outer front of the steering knuckle. I kept noticing that my servo would only travel a short distance when turning left. I was messing with my Nomadio React trying to get more travel out of the steering servo and finally noticed what was stopping it. The linkage coming from the servo saver actually hits the upper deck. I turned the screw and nut upside down but it still hit so I actually ground some clearence into the upper deck. I also ground some clearence into the front servo mount and removed the rubber grometts from the servo to let the servo set back a little farther inside the chassis. I'm not so sure that last step was nesasary though because after I got everything ground out I discovered that the final limitation to steering travel was the wheels hitting the steering arm links. The pics below are poor quality but they are the best I can do with my crappy gigital cam. The pics are all of places that I grinded clearence except for the pic of the wheel. That picture is just there to show that once you get to the point where the inside rim of the wheel is rubbing the steering linkage you have gone as far as you can. I wish I could say that I've tested these mods but it won't quit raining here [&o]. I am pretty confident though that I've gained quite a bit of steering. I did all of the grinding with a dremel using a small sanding drum for the plastic and a stone grinder for the upper plate. As allways you should know that I'm still pretty much a newb and you should take this advice at your own risk!! But if you decide to try this out, good luck and take your time. If anybody's got questions, post them and I'll help or explain better. Post u later I guess if I had it to do over again I would start with the upper deck clearence. I am pretty sure that was causing the limited travel when turning left. Doesn't say much for HPI enginuity but I still love my Hellfire

Name:	Zx70391.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	693862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29197.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	693863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10352.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	693864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14452.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	693865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19132.jpg
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	693866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81038.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	693867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18115.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	693868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25151.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	693869  

Old 05-29-2007, 08:34 PM
aer-wubby

ORIGINAL: j-boy

OK so I went through the whole steering system and this is what I came up with. I started with the steering knuckles and hubs. I ground a little clearence off of each side of the hubs and a little off of the outer front of the steering knuckle. I kept noticing that my servo would only travel a short distance when turning left. I was messing with my Nomadio React trying to get more travel out of the steering servo and finally noticed what was stopping it. The linkage coming from the servo saver actually hits the upper deck. I turned the screw and nut upside down but it still hit so I actually ground some clearence into the upper deck. I also ground some clearence into the front servo mount and removed the rubber grometts from the servo to let the servo set back a little farther inside the chassis. I'm not so sure that last step was nesasary though because after I got everything ground out I discovered that the final limitation to steering travel was the wheels hitting the steering arm links. The pics below are poor quality but they are the best I can do with my crappy gigital cam. The pics are all of places that I grinded clearence except for the pic of the wheel. That picture is just there to show that once you get to the point where the inside rim of the wheel is rubbing the steering linkage you have gone as far as you can. I wish I could say that I've tested these mods but it won't quit raining here [&o]. I am pretty confident though that I've gained quite a bit of steering. I did all of the grinding with a dremel using a small sanding drum for the plastic and a stone grinder for the upper plate. As allways you should know that I'm still pretty much a newb and you should take this advice at your own risk!! But if you decide to try this out, good luck and take your time. If anybody's got questions, post them and I'll help or explain better. Post u later I guess if I had it to do over again I would start with the upper deck clearence. I am pretty sure that was causing the limited travel when turning left. Doesn't say much for HPI enginuity but I still love my Hellfire
Nice finds.. Can you make the pictures a little bigger though?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:15 PM
j-boy

OK here you go. Again I apoligize but my camera blows. Could somebody maybe tell me about a mode or setting on the camera that would allow me to take "up close" type pics? Anyway maybe these pics will help. I think that a person should start with the area where the linkage hits the upper deck and work out from there. Also I'll try to get a before and after if I can find the pics from when I built the SS and "thought" it had some serious steering throw. The first pic of the wheel is the stock set up the second pic is after grinding clearence. The red on the hub is basically where I did the grinding there. My red didn't turn out on the upper deck pic but you can see where it has been ground off at the corner to allow for the linkage. Oh and theres a pic of my lid too!!

OK now I've got a pic of the deck modding with a nifty red circle!

Name:	Us53218.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	693984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87872.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	693985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66354.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	693986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60028.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	693987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65603.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	693988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92966.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	693989  
Old 05-29-2007, 11:57 PM
CRUZRC

HELLFIRE SS DONE!

Name:	Nl29674.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	694062  
Old 05-30-2007, 12:11 AM
aer-wubby

ORIGINAL: CRUZRC

HELLFIRE SS DONE!
Nice.. Seems like a lot of people have been putting Axials in their HF's!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 AM
smitty97

Here's my Hellfire SS, just waiting for the ultra torque servo and 6V battery. I figured its called "Hellfire", so why not try the true fire paintjob? Its my 1st airbrush attempt. I was thinking of a black background to the flames but the red's alot brighter for track visibility. IMHO my best paint ever. 2nd pic shows my 4wd cars, a really old optima mid and nitro mt. my, how things have changed....

Name:	Ec89744.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	694145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34960.jpg
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	694146  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.