Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Thunder tiger ST-1

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 PM
tracar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder tiger ST-1

this has got to be the longest thread i have ever read from start to finish. and i have learned alot from everyone along the way, as i too am an owner of the st-1 and many others...
years ago i had been a great deal on some older cars/trucks with their parts and that has kept me from visiting the LHS for some time .but like some of you i like to keep what works instead of the constant upgrading. but as time goes by the parts are getting harder to find..
with my st-1 i have not had any problems with it at all ...except tires wearing and pin sockets getting loose and needing a replacment now and then.
it is the lowest mantenance vehicle i own... period and the funnest.
now to my questions im looking to put one of my 4 engines in the new st-1 im building from spare parts and im not really into racing (never been in a competition)
but would like to try for the 2010 summer .so out of these whch would be recomended the better motor to install
1) picco .26
2) picco .28
3) ofna .32
4) mabma monster brushless

also is it recomended to always cut the side windows out for better ventilation / or perferate the front window ??

has anyone put rubber c/v boots on to keep out grit,, if so do they work well ?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zx72259.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	4.55 MB
ID:	1386206   Click image for larger version

Name:	rp43098.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	4.52 MB
ID:	1386207   Click image for larger version

Name:	ec87459.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	4.59 MB
ID:	1386208   Click image for larger version

Name:	nl28384.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	4.55 MB
ID:	1386209  
Old 02-24-2010, 11:57 PM
KeithjV

I would say the engine is going to depend on whats allowed by the rules at the track you are going to race at. If you arent going to be doing any "real" racing Id go with an LRP .30.
I put CVD boots on mine and they worked well until they shredded. I need to replace them. They did keep the CVDs nice and clean though.
I took the drivers side window out of mine for ventilation and so I can refuel without taking the body off.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:00 PM
ItchyBum

Nice truggy mate that body looks awesome. Out of those engines there id say the picco .28 or maybe an LRP .28 they are a pretty good engine for the price and competitive but if you have the money id definately recommend an Axe Rossi .25. I have one on my PRO and its insane. 10 minute + run times and faster than any .28 under $500
Old 03-03-2010, 04:47 PM
beenbreto

Hey guys Quick question, What do you think i can get for a LIke New ST-1 i say like new becasue i just put on a New BCE chasis and deployed for a year. it has Carbon Fiber all around and jammin big bore shocks, and stock servo's and the engine is ok (cant remember how much fuel is on it) and i have extra parts? thanks guys!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 PM
bhcvc

My ST-1 is also my toughest and one of my most troublefree vehicles (the truggy itself...the electronics are another story). I converted it to brushless right when I got it and it's a blast. I had a Losi 8ight-T that I sold, but before selling it, I noticed how small the 8T's dogbones and driveshafts were compared to the ST-1. I understand that saves weight, but both myself and my wife have run the ST-1 into im-mobile objects with no problems. I've bent a couple of hinge pins, but that's it...not bad considering some of the hits were at full speed (~45mph). I've run various motors in it, including a MM Neu-Castle 2200kV. It handles well at the track, but not as nimble as some of the latest truggies, but I keep up ok. I have Losi big bores on it which really helps handling. I forgot my setup...I need to write it down on my setup sheet sometime (been meaning to do that for a while). As mentioned above, tires make a huge difference. Everything else is tuned around the way the tires grip your specific track.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an ST-1 That I just traded for. It should be here next week sometime. I heard there is an optional 2 speed for it. does anyone know where I can find one? And if anyone has some pics of an ST-1 with the 2 speed installed I would like to see it.

Also where do you get spare parts for it? who make aftermarket hop up parts for the ST-1?

I think I am going to pull out the engine off the bat and drop in an LRP Z.28 Spec 3. Ihave it in a Losi LST and I think I am going to sell the truck but I was wanting to keep the engine.

I will post pics of the new truggy when it gets here.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 PM
calvino

Spare parts... A-main i have had good results with [8D] Thunder Tiger makes some hop ups, I know some RC8 parts fit, not sure exactly what but some do fit the car [8D] I am considering selling my ST-1... I want to e-convert it but it isn't that economical/practical so... well see. I wish you could effectively use a 540 brushed motor....
Old 04-02-2010, 08:27 PM
yakfish

Here are some pics of the new (to me) ST-1. It just came in the mail tonight! It has only had 10 tanks of fuel thru it so it is basically brand new.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 PM
KeithjV

Anyone know which aftermarket bodies fit the ST-1 best?
Thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 05:55 PM
kaymella

I was on the Thunder Tiger website scoping all the details before I bought my truck and I noticed it says it come with a 2.4ghz radio system, I called www.ultimatehobbies.com just now to confirm this and YES it does! Sweet this is the perfect deal for a perfect birthday present for myself(April 14th)
WOOHOOO!
I'm stoked can't wait...I just hope it can keep up with my HPI MT2 G3.0 they say it does 45mph but I'm guessing the HPI does closer to 50mph. Anyway who cares I always wanted a 1/8th truggy and my wife will be driving the HPI anyway, wait thats why i dont want the hpi to be faster, lol. Thanks For all the info guys and convincing me not to get the Exceed Madwarrior or Ofna Mutilator!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:16 PM
kaymella

Yakfish Check your PM's!
Old 04-06-2010, 01:54 AM
1ne8ighty2wo
My Feedback: (2)

Hey all I'm thinking about getting a ST-1 soon but I have a question first. How long do you tend to get on a tank? I know it varies on driving style/speed, but lets say on average?
Also, is there room to mount a second tank on the truck? In order to increase run times.
Finally, who sells the ST-1 for the lowest price? I'm a bargin hunter and I thought I'd check around to make sure I don't miss out.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:00 AM
kaymella

Ultimatehobbies.com sells them for $349 shipped and you get a 2.4ghz radio system also! Cheapest I've Found
Couldn't tell you about run time as I just and I mean just got my HB Lightning Pro at like 1:32 AM
my First 1/8 scale my first Truggy I feel like a kid again im so happy
Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 AM
KeithjV

ORIGINAL: 1ne8ighty2wo

Hey all I'm thinking about getting a ST-1 soon but I have a question first. How long do you tend to get on a tank? I know it varies on driving style/speed, but lets say on average?
Also, is there room to mount a second tank on the truck? In order to increase run times.
Finally, who sells the ST-1 for the lowest price? I'm a bargin hunter and I thought I'd check around to make sure I don't miss out.
Run time is going to depend on the engine, pipe and your driving style. Im running an LRP Z.28 and I get somewhere are around 6 minutes or so. Sometimes a little longer depending on the weather and how rich/lean Im running.
There is no room for an additional tank. The layout is pretty tight. Overall the truck is excellent though. Its well built and extremely tough. The only thing you really need to do is the steering mod. Google it or look back through the thread and you will find the info on how to do it. It makes a huge difference in the steering. I also changed the wheels to 1/2 offset which helped out as well because the stock wheels were hitting the body.
Good luck with the truck. You will definitely enjoy it.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 PM
1ne8ighty2wo
My Feedback: (2)

What could you get with the stock setup?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM
calvino

Hmm about a minute more, the motor is sortof a fuel pig IMHO! If your a crazy goon like me and you break out the dremel... you can improve the fuel economy, overall 28's aren't the best for economy unless its like a Picco... I have a 427 (about a .26) and i get better fuel economy, im really debating a .21 but the local track's tiny so [>:]
Old 04-09-2010, 09:26 PM
bronx boy

got my st 1 for 219.00 from ultimate and my hb st pro rtr for 289 from them too they have wako sales on certain holidays at like 12 midnight always be looking on thanksgiving they had the niterage tamiya for 199.00
Old 04-10-2010, 02:54 AM
mail4ajo

I am now converting the ST-1 to brushless using rcproductdesigns kit. I am getting a Mamba 2200KV combo. I have 2 questions:

1. Do I alter the gearing or leave as is. I think its a 50T on the spur and 13T on the pinion. I just want longer run times and moderate performance as my track is much smaller than the ones in the US.

2. What kind of run times and speeds can I expect from a single 4S 30C 5000mah Lipo? I will also keep another 4S or 3S as a backup. The system can take between 2S to 6S.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:56 PM
thef@st1

boooo electric. why would anybody convert to electric. just dont understand. i love nitro, the noise the smell, everything. ya i know electric is faster but its so bland and so blah. dosnt even seem as exciting. imo he he he.

GO NITRO
Old 04-11-2010, 03:03 AM
mail4ajo

ORIGINAL: thef@st1

boooo electric. why would anybody convert to electric. just dont understand. i love nitro, the noise the smell, everything. ya i know electric is faster but its so bland and so blah. dosnt even seem as exciting. imo he he he.

GO NITRO
I would agree with you. I am a hard core nitro guy. I just got an Associated RC8 to keep my love for nitro. But the technological advances in electric RC technology is amazing and I want to try it. Conversion of your loved truggy is better than getting a new one at a crazy cost.

Nothing new is happening in nitro. When will we see a mass produced 4 stroke engine for cars or fuel injection?? Dont think it will happen soon.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:54 PM
ItchyBum

Not sure about your runtimes but your speed wont be too great. Acceleration wise it will be like a rocket and if your track is small it will be perfect but 2200kv on 4S is only 32500rpm which means your top speed will lack. I have the Castle 2650kv kit with a 5000mah 30C 5S for my ST-1 Pro but i havent installed it yet nitro setup is too good
Old 04-14-2010, 07:26 PM
yakfish

I got my LRP Z.28R Spec 3 mounted in the ST-1 the other day but I haven't had much time to do anything with it until tonight. I had to remove the pullstart and do a "redneck" bumpstart conversion using a rotostart back plate and some blue gasket maker! I think I have it tuned where I want it but it still is a bit on the rich side and it flood very easily on startup but once it is running it rips! here are some pics of it!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:33 PM
yakfish

I think I need to chage the fluid in the center diff. What weights are you guys running and what does it come with stock? I am pretty sure it has all stock diff fluids. I am having a problem with the front tires ballooning reall bad when I gun it and when running at highspeeds on the road. the engine has so much power that it take alot of weight off the front end and the fron t wheels are spinning much faster than the rears. I am thinking that if I putt heavier weight oil in the center diffthat it will slow the front wheels down to more closely match the speed of the rear tires when the front end is light. I know it will make the front end even lighter with heavier fluid in the center diff but I am OK with that if it will slow the front wheels down. Am I right about this? I don't race I am just a basher so I don't mind (actually I love!) Wheelies.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:42 PM
KeithjV

Heavier weight oil in the center diff will definitely help distribute the power better. Depending on whether you want to give up some turning for more straight line power will determine how heavy an oil to use. You can try 7K in the front 10K in the center and 3K in the rear. If there is still too much ballooning that try 20 or 30 in the center. I have even heard of guys using 100K in the center. You'll have to try a few weights to get it adjusted the way you like it though. The heavier center diff oil will cut down some of the turning ability though because it wont transfer power as well. But if you are just bashing in wide open areas you may not even notice
Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 PM
calvino

I ran about 10K center... if you want wheelies (meh) get somethin REALLY high like 50K+ (but in that case its better to get a MT ) Looks nice with that LRP... i still love my mach 427, before i killed the case. I need to get the car going somehow... im thinking of turning it (temporarily) into an on road test platform (electric) for a remotely operated rc car idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.