Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

T-6A Texan II 75-91 ARF build suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

T-6A Texan II 75-91 ARF build suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 AM
bob418
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-6A Texan II 75-91 ARF build suggestions

Jeff

Thanks for the video, when yoru bird reacted to your stall in mid flight, that is what mine looked like, but I was 20 feet off the ground and gliding in for a landing. (like I did many times before)

I think your right on the CG and the speed on landing!  THe flaps really help!!

Great video, I crashed my at an air show, I hope I got some videos of her flying

Looks like I can jsut get away with replacing the fuse and cowl!!  so not too bad!!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 AM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watching your video makes me want to get another one of these beauties!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:44 AM
jwjohnson

Bob, I cut back on power too quickly at the top of that loop and it just dropped into a stall. Fortunately it had plenty of altitude. In that respect it seems more like a warbird than a trainer. My landing is another example. You've got to keep the speed up or it quits flying. Admittedly, I'm flying it at a higher weight than it was designed for.

ORIGINAL: NoFlaps

Watching your video makes me want to get another one of these beauties!
That's a good thing... I hope.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:42 PM
bob418

Jeff

I agree, I have to assume I dropped a bit too much airspeed, and was too close to the ground to power out of it

The T-6A needs to be flown like a warbird, it may be a military trainer, but in no way is it a first, second, or third plane for a RC Pilot!  She does not fly like a true RC trainer plane.

OH well, fix the fuse and fly fly again!!!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 04:43 AM
jwjohnson

I got my gear replaced yesterday. Just need to mount a new prop and she should be flying again Saturday.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:52 PM
bob418

well got my parts and new retracts - went with the Eflite retracts, they look very nice, hope they work as well as they look. 

Hope to be up in the air soon!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Mgarmy

Has anyone tried to outfit their Texan II with flaps? If yes, did you cut the trailing edge or made split flaps like the real one has (I think).

Thanks,
Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 PM
jwjohnson

I have modified mine with flaps. Look for my earlier posts in this thread. There should be pics and a description. They work quite well. I did cut the trailing edge rather than try to make split flaps.
Jeff

Look at posts 155, 156, 163, and 191 in this thread.

The full scale Texan II does have split flaps. See this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llJeKiBjTHM

Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Mgarmy

Jeff, thanks!

How well do they slow down the Texan during landing?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:50 AM
jwjohnson

They do help slow it down. I did the flaps on mine because 1) they look cool, and 2) mine is heavier than most due to bigger motor and batteries. I have had a tendency to let it slow down too much just before touchdown and then it stalls and falls to the runway. I've been practicing keeping a bit more speed and the landings work much better.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:58 PM
bob418

Jeff

Iagree with this bird, you land too slow you fall out of the air, does not matter if you 20 feet or 20 inches off the ground, you still crash! As Iknow

In the process of rebuilding the battery box, making it lighter by a bit, but this bird every oz matters!

Imiss flying that one, so sweat!!

Hope to be back in the air soon!!!!

Old 08-06-2011, 02:04 PM
jwjohnson

I flew mine twice today. I'm landing a bit hot, and have a bit of trouble stopping by the end of the runway, but both landings where perfect three wheel landings. I'm going to try slowing it down just a bit more. I'll be back on our grass field next week so it shouldn't matter as much anyway. One change I made was to move the CG forward about 1/2-3/4 inches from where I had it. (basically shifted my receiver packs from the very tail of the plane to the stock location. I need to test a bit more, but seems to have done away with the tip stall/snap stall tendency. I'll post more after I confirm the CG location and do a couple of high altitude stall tests. Prior to the change in CG it dropped a wing 2-3 times coming our of a maneuver where the airspeed was a bit slow.

Hope you are back in the air soon.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:09 PM
bob418

Jeff

so your cg is now about 2.00 to 2.25inches  from the leading edge?  let me know as I am going to be set the cg very soon.

thanks for the testing info!!

Bob

Old 08-06-2011, 04:49 PM
jwjohnson

Bob,
Here are the numbers I got. The instruction manual called for the CG to be 70mm back from the leading edge measured at the wing tip. When transferred to the center of the wing this measured out at 100mm (actually 99 for me) back from the leading edge where it meets the fuse. I couldn't get my CG close to that even after building a new battery box. I verified the CG location with Horizon Hobby support. I moved my receiver packs all the way to the very tail end of the fuse. (cut a new hatch there). That put the CG at 90 mm back from the leading edge at the fuse. I just measured now and the current CG is 75mm (3 inches) back from the leading edge at the fuse. For me it flies well at that location. As I said I was noticing some tip stall/snap stall tendencies at the previous location. Mine is probably heavier than a lot since I'm flying 10s 4000 packs and a power 110 motor. It weighs 12.1 pounds ready to fly.
Hopefully that info is helpful. It might be that with the extra weight mine was more prone to drop a wing and it just does better with a forward CG. I don't pretend to be an engineer. Just a builder and pilot.
Jeff
Old 08-06-2011, 05:42 PM
bob418

Jeff

thanks,  i will give a slighty fowrad CG and see what happens

One more thing, on my last crash []   I used velco to hold my lipos in, and it ripped out and my lipos went flying forward and did most of the damage to the nose - bummer!!

can you take a few pictures of how you hold your lipos in place - since we have the same setup

I will take any suggestions to hold in the lipos in place with our battery box

thanks!!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:47 AM
saleen308

I just bought this ARF kit and have some build questions. I want to go nitro for my build.

Which E flite retracts did you all use?

What servos should I used with my Futaba 7C?

Any recommendations on a 2 stroke engine? I would like to havea muffler that has the two pipes that exir below the plane if possible.

Thanks,
Old 08-11-2011, 04:45 PM
bob418

ORIGINAL: saleen308

I just bought this ARF kit and have some build questions. I want to go nitro for my build.

Any recommendations on a 2 stroke engine? I would like to havea muffler that has the two pipes that exir below the plane if possible.

Thanks,

The retracts I am using are the EFLG430 60-120 tricycle gear from e-flite. Jeff also used them, iused the supplied the retracts on my first plane (BC) Before Crash and they worked well, but the Eflites look better and less issues, (servo driven retracts can bind)

If Iwas going to fly it on nitro, Iwould be big on the OS1.20

Iused the DS821 servos and and have had no issues

good luck she is a fun bird to fly!!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:24 PM
mmontella
My Feedback: (36)

Has anyone thought of or tried a DLE-20 gas motor in this plane?

Mark
Old 08-11-2011, 08:22 PM
saleen308

ORIGINAL: bob418

ORIGINAL: saleen308

Thanks,

The retracts I am using are the EFLG430 60-120 tricycle gear from e-flite. Jeff also used them, i used the supplied the retracts on my first plane (BC) Before Crash and they worked well, but the Eflites look better and less issues, (servo driven retracts can bind)

If I was going to fly it on nitro, I would be big on the OS 1.20

I used the DS821 servos and and have had no issues

good luck she is a fun bird to fly!!
Why would you go to a 1.20 size 2 stroke? isn't this too much?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:04 AM
bob418

I have an OS 1.20 in a 7.5 lb plane,  I believe in the more power the better, and you can always throttle down, but you can't add more power

I just love that motor and the power,  plus the T-6A has a high wing load, so the extra power may come in handy on a tip stall!

Just my 2 cents

Old 08-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Anderl7890

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi guys

When i read this thread i really start to believe that there is some kind of problem with this plane.
It seems to tend to fall out of the sky like a dead pigeon.
Everywheresomebody is writingsomething about this plane, it isalways the same.
Firstthe owner is happy and experiences a great flying bird.Three or four days later you can read about the desaster.
Tip stalls during landing, sudden control losses or strangereactions duringaerobatic flying.

Here's my story:
I have had the bigger one. The Seagull PC-9 120 size.
Overall weight was 11.9 lbs, powered by 6S 5000mAh with a geared motor turning a 17x14" prop at 7000rpm pulling about 75amps out of the battery.
Does not sound like it's a lot of power? You can compare it to a 160four stroke! The components i used arehigh end.
Power was morethan plenty.
After a few days of getting acquainted with my new bird, i started to "let her run".
I did a vertical climbuntilthe PC-9was almostoutof sight,followed by a vertical descent.
At an altitude of about 300ft i gave full throttle still descending vertically. The intention was a very high speed fly by ata very low altitude.
As i started to bring her back to level flight (altitude approx100ft)the plane first tried to follow my orders, but then stalled, rolled hard and quickover the right wing and smashed into the ground.

This was a stallbecause of two possible reasons.
Either the speed wastoo high or i pulled her too hard.
I have had nochance to regain control.
Mechanically, everything was fine with the plane. No loose control surfaces, no bad electrical wiring, nothing. Everything worked as it was intended to do.

It's a beautiful bird, but idoes not excuse anypilot errors no matter how small they might be.
I justcan give you one advice.
Keep the weight as low as possible. Flying 8S with a directly driven prop by a bigheavy outrunneron a 91size PC-9 is a nogo!
Spend a little more money fora light weight geared motor on a 6S lipo and get used to drain up to 80 amps out of the battery.
Or if you have to go the direct driven way take a scorpion 4025 series outrunner. These are very light weight and powerfull too.

I'm sorry to say but i experienced thatwiththe PC-9'shigh wing loading there are some hidden bad habbits, you will only figure out
when it's too late.
There aredozends of reports of this kind.

Thats why i decided not to buy the plane again.
To everybody who still wants to try it out:
Good luck!
You might need it!

Old 08-14-2011, 04:28 PM
jwjohnson

I believe the CG specified is too far back. Mine seems to have lost it's tendency to stall while flying and landing with moving the CG forward. See my posts upstream. I'm flying with 10s on a power 110 and mine is just a touch over 12 pounds, so it's not a lightweight. Fortunately my stalls occurred at high altitude and I recovered without problems and while only a foot or two off the runway when landing which tore one of the main gear out, but was easily repaired. I'm sorry for the loss of your plane.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 PM
bob418

Jeff

I just measured on my old bird where the CG was and I had it marked at 3 1/2 inches at the fuse from the leading edge. This is where I was flying the plane when it stalled on final approach.

I will set this one up for 3 inches (about 75mm) from the leading edge at the fuse.

Hope to have her up soon.

I guess the real question is was the CG wrong in the manual???? Maybe it is suppose to be 70mm at the fuse and not the wing tip?? lost in translation????

MMMMM???? interesting!!! Maybe we have a class action lawsuit! KIDDING!!!

Anyone good a calculating the CG based on the planes actual measurements??????
Old 08-21-2011, 06:30 PM
bob418

She's baaaackkkk

Texan ready to fly!!  I have it all set and ready to fly! 

I set the cg at 3 inches from the leading edge at the fuse

I hope to have it up in the air next weekend!  I only have to do the decals, but decals only add weight

I have been working on more throttle with the landings and will watch my speed during flight to avoid the tip stall

added some new cockpit details, looks great!!  and I know she flys great!!

I think I will try both my 15x10 and 16x10 prop (Power 90 with 8s 4000 mah)  I was getting 8 mins without over discharing the lipos

Ready to fly!!!

Bob

PS starting my next plane the Hanger 9 Twin Otter!! 

Old 08-21-2011, 07:02 PM
jwjohnson

Nice work Bob. I'm looking forward to hearing about your successful maiden flight.
Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.