Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Upgrade or replace? >

Upgrade or replace?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Upgrade or replace?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade or replace?

I have a Trex 450 SA from a while back. I stopped flying it for a while but have recently started up again and I don't know why I ever stopped.

My problem now is that I have a G500T JR gyro which has been giving me problems. While I'm in a hover the thing will twitch a few inches every few seconds which is really annoying and makes it hard to fly.

I could replace the gyro for something like $150, or I could get a Trex 450 Super Combo that comes with a decent gyro.

I have hs-55 servos and a generic cheap motor on my SA so those will be an upgrade.

My questions are should I just replace the gyro and be done with it? Are the new 450s much better than the old ones? In small crashes what kind of stuff breaks on an aluminum head? What are the typical costs?

Right now if I have a minor crash I usually break a control arm or more and am out $25 for a small crash, $60 for a medium, and $120+ for hard crashes. Will an all aluminum chopper bring those costs down or up?

If I am to upgrade to a new heli, should I get the Sport or the Pro? I know the differences (belt vs TT ect), but any recommendations? How so the different frames affect it?

I'm still a fairly new pilot. I can hover tail in all day long and I recently learned to hover nose in. I have done some FFF and some other flying around.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 05-16-2010, 07:35 AM

Default RE: Upgrade or replace?

Sticking with the old 450 SA, I'd say go to HeliFreak.com and snag a used gyro over there. I bought 2 Align 750 gyros used from there and both are AWSOME. (one was $75 shipped the other $80) One for my 450 Pro and one for my 500. Both helis are Trex clones but I love them. The 450 Pro is solid and very very stable. Nothing like my old HDX450SE v4. Difference of night and day between the two. As for buying a new super combo I'd have to say the 450 Pro Belt version. I've heard nothing but good things about the TT version but they say it cost more in a crash to repair. All in all I'd say if parts are still around for the 450 SA then stick with what you already have, just upgrade the gyro and even spend the money on a new motor. Hope this helps. Joe
Old 05-16-2010, 12:10 PM

Thanks Joe.

It turns out that I think the belt was too loose and was slipping causing a momentary lose of power to the tail. I tightened it up and it works better.

The gyro I have is supposed to be really nice but I can't seem to get it to perform really well. I have the gain set to 62%, 51% being the beginning of HH mode. The tail is a little loose but it still occasionally will start to wag a little. If I turn the gain up it holds much better but when it starts to wag it's worse.

I have a DS3500G servo on there so that should not be the problem.

I did have to use the hole closest to the center on the servo horn and turn the travel limiter on the gyro all the way down to keep it from binding.

Any ideas?
Old 05-16-2010, 12:21 PM

tail wagging is caused by too much gain. I'd turn the gain down a few clicks and try re-adjusting the tail rod link for better centering. That's what I had to do to get my Pro tunned in. Pain in the ***** but it's solid now.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:42 PM

I know wagging is caused by too much gain, my problem is that if I lower it to where it stops wagging then the tail does not hold very well. If I quickly increase the throttle I can get the tail to swing like 45 degrees.

I have the servo set up so when it is perpendicular to the tail boom the slider is in the center.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM

Even with the slider centered, is the tail push rod at 90? You might have a slight off centered slider to get the push rod link at 90. That should solve the problem. I know on my 450 with the slider centered it had a good drift. Once I set the push rod link to 90 everything was locked in.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:45 PM

I don't quite understand what you are saying. When the tail slider is centered the servo is at 90.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:37 AM

The rod that goes from tail servo to the tail push rod. Is that 90 with the slider centered? This piece on your tail assembly.

http://www.helidirect.com/microheli-...ro-p-13201.hdx
Old 05-17-2010, 05:09 PM

I attached some pictures of my setup. Doesn't the push rod have to be 90 because the tail push rod angle is not adjustable. It's just one molded piece.

EDIT: One other thing. With your gyro where do you have the travel limit set and where does the push rod connect to your servo? It seems like I should move it out one hole but then it binds and the travel limiter won't go that low.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77784.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1438039   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44308.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1438040  
Old 05-17-2010, 07:21 PM

I'm running the Align 750 gyro. When programming that I can set the travel. What gyro are you using? My tail set-up looks just like your in the sense that everything is centered and 90. On my Pro the tail servo is housed inside the rear of the heli. I didnt do the boom mount like others and just left it the way it came. The 750 gyro doens't have a "limit" pot rahter a set button you push then you move your rudder stick left and right for how much you want it to travel.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:24 PM

Here check these out. You may have a dead gyro if it wont stop twitching after all that centering.

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=213186

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=214253
Old 05-17-2010, 10:05 PM

I have the 450SA so the tail servo has to be mounted on the boom.

The gyro I have is a G500T from JR. Having a limit pot seems really stupid to me as it causes problems like this. I think the problem is that this gyro may be intended for larger helis where the limit pot is enough.

I went flying for about an hour today and they gyro works pretty well just not as well as some people say they can get theirs to work. It some cases during flight it will drift a little to one side and others it will wag a little. It holds in FFF but not that well in quick throttle changes. If this gyro is not intended for this size heli it is strange that it would be pictured in the TREX manual.

I was looking at the [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRPG3703D]G370[/link] but it too has a travel pot so I might look else where.

Do you know if the GY520 is a good gyro?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:24 PM

You know I could just be being too picky. I have no other HH gyro experience so it may be performing just as well as any other gyro. Looking at this video mine looks pretty similar. It swings like 10-15 degrees on a hard punch.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfly756lKAs[/youtube]
Old 05-18-2010, 05:54 AM

My tail kicks during punch outs too. Mines kicks to the right and sometimes during flight my tail will drift left/right. But my problem is my Tx/Rx set-up. I have a real simple Exceed 6ch which I feel doesn't support a strong enough signal from Tx to Rx to keep everything in check. I use to have a Futaba 7c 2.4ghz radio system and I loved it. I'm in the middle of deciding on if I'm going to get one again or not. What Tx/Rx are you running? If the heli isn't constantly needing corrections or trim adjust then I'd say leave it as it. As for the GY520 I've heard nothing but GREAT things about it. Almost bought one of them from Towerhobbies using there "easy pay" option. But found my Align 750 for $75 shipped on HeliFreak.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 PM

I'm using a DX7 and love it. I had a DX6 but recently upgraded so I could use DSM2 stuff. It has a whole bunch of nice features, although I'm sure most nice radios do.

Ya I think its fine. It holds well in a hover and while flying around. Once I get into more crazy stuff I might look into a new one. I just started nose in like a week ago and can now do turns like a stall turn but at like 45 degrees not 90.

If I was to upgrade something I think it would be the motor. What motors do you recommend? I have a 35A Align ESC but if I had to I could always upgrade that too. The one thing I'm worried about is a better motor might reduce flight times. I get around 9min hovering and some FF with a 2150mAh TP battery.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 AM

I was running a Scorpion -8 motor and I got 6 minutes flight time, that was on my old HDX450SE v4. My new 450 Pro I started with the Align 430SP motor and could only get 4 minutes. But keep in mind thats also in Idle up the entire time. My buddy and I just bought some Turnigy 3700kv motors from HobbyCity to try them out and I love it. I run Idle up and flip and roll all day and the motor runs smoother and quieter. The Align motor was an Inrunner and was temping at 180-190 this new outrunner is only temping at 100-115.

Do you still have your old DX6? I'm in the market for a better set-up. Was thinking of going on Towerhobbies and getting the Futaba 7c again and using there Easy pay option.

Here's a link to the motor we're using. But I can honestly say I miss my Scorpion -8. Would like to get another one of those.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...i_Motor_3700kv
Old 05-19-2010, 08:21 AM

Ya I still have my DX6, the only problem with it is that I dropped it once and the clip that holds the battery door and a plastic piece on the antenna broke. The battery door I taped on as you never need to open it and the antenna is secured with a paper clip. The radio works perfectly fine otherwise.