Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera 60B issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 03:13 PM
zeno38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walkera 60B issues

Without knowing a thing about RC helicopters, I bought one from hobby-wing.com, Walkera 60b, I didnt do my homework at all (which is very abnormal for me)! Now I am reading in other forums that Walkera Helicopters are very questionable as far as quality and longevity, and at this point I am experiencing that with my new Walkera 60b. I did read in these other forums that you can swap out the Walkera electrical components for TRex components or the like. I want to do this because I have so many problems just trying to get this blasted Walkera to just spin the blades. Its seems as though it has a communication issue between the radio and the receiver on the heli. Can anyone kindly direct me to a website or a vendor that can help me understand what I need to do and buy to get these components replaced with the good stuff? Thank you all in advance for any kind words of wisdom that you can dump on me, I love helicopters in general and really want to do this. Thank you.

The Heliboob
Old 01-21-2009, 06:40 AM
robtangie
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Walkera 60B issues

Which radio do you have, is it the FM or the 2.4Ghz. I've had a 60 and give alot of advice on them and while I'll admit some of the electronics on the walkeras aren't the greatest there are plenty of guys out there flying them with no upgrades at all.
If you want to give some more information about what problems you are having I'm sure I could guide you to getting it in the air with the stock electronics.
But if it's only the upgrading you are interested in I'd have to ask what you are wanting to change as well as what price range you are interested in staying within?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
zeno38

Thank you robtangie, I have the 2.4Ghz. It seems as though I have one servo in front that is nervous or something because when I turn the radio on and plug the battery in, select the button for three seconds on the bird it starts making noise and the arm keeps pushing up on the linkage. Since this has started happening I havent been able to get the radio to work with the bird to even make the blades spin. the throttle starts moving the linkage small amounts and wont spin the motor.

My main interest is to learn to hover and fly. I only thought about upgrading because these other forums I was reading said to get the Align electronics and dump the Walkera electronics. Money is not my concern at this point because I just want to get it flying but, I'm not going to drop $500 tomorrow to upgrade it either! The first time I started it up and spun the blades at a near flight RPM it throw some linkage so, I put it back on and since have not been able to get the radio and receiver to talk for flight.

thanks for your help
Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
bad400

when you turn on the radio are all your trim setting`s in the right location`s

left stick)trim tab on bottom in the middle/trim tab on the right all the way down
right stick)trim tab on bottom in the middle/trim tab on the left in the middle

??????
Old 01-21-2009, 08:27 PM
robtangie

Yes, as bad400 says, be sure all your trims are centered on the tx except the throttle trim which needs to be all the way down. You are turning on the tx first then powering the heli?
The fact that you threw off some linkage when you spun the motor up concerns me... What linkage came loose and what what caused it.
Once you power up dose the tx control the servo movement, side to side front to back and tail rotor servo? If they do try plugging the front servo that you say is "nervouse" into anothe servo port on the rx and see if it acts the same way. Having a bad servo right out of the box is not uncommon but that is a way to find out.
So let's start with these for now so I don't start over running myself from one test to the other.
Let me know what you find out and we will go from there.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 PM
HansV

I actually had a similar problem today with a 4G3. I could'n get it to bind right. It was twiching one of the servos and when I moved the stick the servo was jumping up and down. I tried it 3-4 times and also saw the blades spinning a little one of the times. It really looked strange. I unplugged everything for a little time, turned on the TX and then quickly pluged in the battery in one fast move and it was working as usual. I think it was my fumbling around with the battery plug caused it, so try to insert the battery plug in one firm go after turning on the TX. On my 2601 TX I only have a few seconds to do everything or it wont bind. I was using the 2801 though which usually allows me a little more time (don't know why).

/Hans.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
zeno38

the throttle is down but some of the others you mentioned are not. I will try that.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 PM
zeno38

Normally I center all except the throttle, its always down. I always turn the TX on before plugging in the Heli. I dont know why it threw the linkage, it only did it once and hasn't done it since, when it happened I wasn't flying or hovering, just raising the RPM's to get a feel of what it was going to do just before flight. I am really green. I have flown the Micro mini's but I know thats nothing compared to these.

Yes when I power the TX on and plug in the battery it binds and then allows me to move the servos but, the front one keeps making noise and pushing up, and the throttle control lever also moves the servos just a little, and does not spin the motor for the blades. I will move the front servo to a different port but, what about the throttle not spinning the rotor? well, let me disconnect the servos and re-port the front and then we'll see how its acting. Thanks all.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 PM
VulcanGrey

Here's what I did to mine.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7516278
Old 01-23-2009, 06:29 AM
robtangie

Hello VulcanGrey,
You still have your 60? How's it flying these days? Yes, you sir are the man to talk to about upgrading the 60s... Not only did you do a nice upgrade but, you are hands down, the best bargan hunter that I've came across to date.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:54 AM
robtangie

zeno,
By moving the servo to another port I am trying to determine if the servo is bad (if it is it will act the same in any port on the rx) or if there is a problem with that channel in the receiver.
When or if you have to order parts you will want to get them all at the same time and will need to know what you need.
As you increase the throttle all three of the cyclic servos should move up, because as you increase throttle they are increasing your pitch. You said you have the 2.4Ghz 60-B, so is it the brushless model and what ESC dose it have? You also mentioned, and I quote,,, "It seems as though I have one servo in front that is nervous or something because when I turn the radio on and plug the battery in, select the button for three seconds on the bird it starts making noise and the arm keeps pushing up on the linkage. Since this has started happening I havent been able to get the radio to work with the bird to even make the blades spin. the throttle starts moving the linkage small amounts and wont spin the motor."
You said the radio wouldn't work with the bird,,, but I don't think that is completly correct because if the radio was not working it would not control the servo function either. Once we can figure out if the poblem with the servo is the servo or the rx then we can move on from there.
You can check the wires between the ESC and motor to be sure they are connected well and there are no bad solder joints from the factory.
So I'm waiting to hear from you about the servo...
Old 01-26-2009, 01:05 PM
zeno38

robtangie,

I did move that servo to another port and it did not function as it did before with the nervous movement and noise. Although, the tail rotor servo was making noise with little movement, this was just after turning on the TX and then plugging in the battery. The motor and ESC are brush type which I plan on ordering the brushless in the near future when I find out what is reasonable, performance and price wise.

Sorry for the crappy technical wording. The TX (radio) does work but, when I turn the TX on and then plug the battery into the heli it seems as though the TX and RX bind, then the front servo starts making continuous noise and is moving up and down slightly. When I slowly push the throttle up it moves the servo's a little but does not start the motor for the blades at all.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 PM
robtangie

Well the good news is that the problem must not be a faulty servo. But the bad news is that by the way it sounds I believe something is wrong with your receiver. At this point there is no harm in opening up the rx and looking to see if there is a loose solder joint or a bad wire.
How long have you had this heli and was it faulty like this when you got it or is the problem the result of some sort or crash or hard landing??? I guess maybe those are questions I should have asked in the beginning.
I did read recently where hobby wing is god about standing behind thier faulty products.
I hate to say it but I'm out of ideas for you and without being there to see your heli it is hard to identify the rx as being bad because if the esc is blown it too will prevent the motor from spinning up. But the fact that the servo port is acting leads me to believe it's the rx.
Let me know about the helis age and/or if it's been crashed.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 PM
zeno38

robtangie,

Well, lets say your help has educated me to some degree. I did some more testing and determined that it seems to be one servo and the rx. I am sure Hobby-Wing will support me but at this point I am really interested in just buying an upgraded rx, not to expensive but good and reliable. That goes for the servo's as well, plus I am going to order a brushless motor and ESC. I am all to happy to replace those components to make it a better heli.

The last time I had it working and it throw one part of linkage it slammed into the side of my car but, no real physical damage appeared, it just would not spin the motor at that point and the servo started acting different. I just bought the heli 3 weeks ago. I never really got it more then 1/4 of an inch off the ground!

My idea about this experience is that I learned something, not a lot but something and I want to move forward by replacing the servo's, rx, motor and ESC. Thank you for all your help.

P.S. do you have a recommendation for a specific brand of servo's, rx, motor and ESC that will work with my 2.4Ghz tx?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:28 AM
bikemad

I have an elf hobby 4200kv and esc and for the money I think it's done very well, 1000s of flights and it's got loads power, it hovers at 45% throttle,
as for the servos it's not the easiest thing to do, pro towers are the best that fit and are quite cheap but aren't the best, but if you can make new servo mounts hitec hs65mg are well worth the trouble, metel gear survives many crashs, saves you money in the long term