no need for all these changes. If I were to put a second one together
the only thing I would do differently would be to reinforce the landing
gear plate before flying.

tommy s
Old 01-04-2010, 01:58 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sebart Wind 110

Tommy ... well some people just enjoy some bling-bling, it is after all a hobby right?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:03 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct !!!

tommy s
Old 01-04-2010, 02:06 PM
tIANci

Tommy ... try the RC car scene ... some cars can be built in whole using after market parts! Bling-bling includes titanium parts such as screws even ... all that and you do have a minimum weight for races.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: tIANci
Joe ... how about starting work on some balsa and make your own fillets for the gear? How much lighter are the CF ones?
38g savings. I'm sure the plane is just fine with the stock aluminum gear; personally I just don't like it. I also like doing a few small things to the plane to make it my own. The weight savings is not huge with the gear, but couple it with a few ounces savings with a Scorpion motor and the lightest Rx batteries and regulators I could find, it totals about a quarter-pound. Should really help to reduce down line speed with the 10S; 10S running on higher voltage will help reduce current draw for equal/better performance than 8S thus reducing strain on batteries.

I could just glue the plane together and go with the 8S Hacker setup and have nothing to think about or do over the winter months [&:]
Old 01-04-2010, 03:33 PM
tIANci

Joe ... we got no winter here ... hence my plane was all ready in 2-3 night! Hahahaaa ... I remember about 5 years ago, they were showing how much weight you cna save in total when you start to do your best to shave weight on each item. The total sum if quite a bit. On 50cc planes it was as much as 2-3 lbs and on 100cc planes up to 5-6 lbs. Standard kit planes were heavy back then I guess.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: Velco

More good news!

Steve Neu is ready to help guys, so if someone can confirm that a 19'' prop will fit without any problem I can ask him for the desired geared setup with 19x10:

What huison and tIANci have confirmed is that on 10S and 4,3kg we need roughly 2,5kW (65A), right? Can someone confirm please if 2kW (70A) is enough for 8S and 4kg?

Velco

You can use a 2.75" wheel (without the wheel pants or with different wheel pants) and get an extra inch on the prop.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Jetdesign

These pics really don't do it justice...looks frickin' awesome!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28920.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1349821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62738.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1349822  
Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 AM
tIANci

Joe ... is it very stiff or does it flex a bit to cushion the plane? So tempting ...
Old 01-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Jetdesign

There is some flex, it's nice
Old 01-05-2010, 11:36 AM
1bwana1

ORIGINAL: 1bwana1

New Years arrived, and it was a perfect day for flying today, so the field was a little crowded. The Wind 110 I have been flying was being flown by it's owner (thank God!), and during a point roll had a mid-air with a 48" Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP. The Wind's wing cleanly cut the tail off the Extra, and the prop ran what was left of it through the blender. The Extra was totaled, just small pieces floating down. A spectacular mid-air. The Wind 110 suffered sever damage to it's wing, but through excellent piloting, was brought in without further damage. All the Wind needs is a new wing.

I thought you guys might enjoy some pictures of the damage. Notice that the aileron was left dangling with only the control linkage holding it on. Also notice how much of the wing is completely missing. Very difficult to control, It was a great save!

Unfortunately,Mark (the Wind's owner) isnot having any luck findinga replacement wing. The U.S. distributorship is going through some changes, and currently is of no help. This also seems to be the case in the U.K. where the model was originally purchased. Does anyone out there have a source for replacement wings? Help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Jetdesign

Esprit should have replacement parts by the end of this month; they are awaiting the second shipment from the East.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Jetdesign

Innov8tive Designs just got the Scorpion 4035 in stock yesterday. I just ordered one
Old 01-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Zebel

New Years arrived, and it was a perfect day for flying today, so the field was a little crowded. The Wind 110 I have been flying was being flown by it's owner (thank God!), and during a point roll had a mid-air with a 48" Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP. The Wind's wing cleanly cut the tail off the Extra, and the prop ran what was left of it through the blender. The Extra was totaled, just small pieces floating down. A spectacular mid-air. The Wind 110 suffered sever damage to it's wing, but through excellent piloting, was brought in without further damage. All the Wind needs is a new wing.

I thought you guys might enjoy some pictures of the damage. Notice that the aileron was left dangling with only the control linkage holding it on. Also notice how much of the wing is completely missing. Very difficult to control, It was a great save!

Unfortunately,Mark (the Wind's owner) isnot having any luck findinga replacement wing. The U.S. distributorship is going through some changes, and currently is of no help. This also seems to be the case in the U.K. where the model was originally purchased. Does anyone out there have a source for replacement wings? Help would be greatly appreciated!
Igotreally frustrated by not being able to find spare wings, SebArt.it did not even reply to my email. I don't agree with the guy who said in earlier posts that the support is great! great product, crappy support! Both of my reliable UK stores are not getting any supplies since the main distributor, FlightTech, is out of business and no supplies are sent to them until the liquidation process is over. Ieven emailed other distributers/sites all over the world and either they dont have it or it would take 6-8 weeks to get one. I really hate to be down and not be able to fly, speically when our EMAC is coming up soon.So out of desparation Iordered a whole new kit from EspritModel who happened to have one in blue and even kindly gave me $50 discount, awesome experience!It is already shipped out. Iam still going to fix the damaged wing and hopefully it will turn out nice and end up with a complete back up plane or sell it or whatever...

Old 01-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Chris Moon

The Wind 110 is also going to be stocked in the USA at F3A Unlimited. We have some arriving Fri 1/15.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Chris Moon

First shipment has arrived. These are really sharp looking planes! This is the red scheme. The canopy mounting looks very secure with hooks in the front and magnets and tabs on the sides and 2 screws into the back side tabs.

Name:	Xv65336.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1356673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22560.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1356674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84230.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1356675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68682.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1356676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk69657.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1356677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul80224.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1356678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik89709.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1356679  
Old 01-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Jetdesign

Got the Scorpion 4035 in the mail today - very nice! Looks like they upgraded to an 8mm shaft, so the supplied bearing in the kit won't work. Actual weight is 15.95oz. I'm going to look around for other bearings or adapting the rear mount, as well as try to contact Scorpion/Innov8tive and see if the rear support is that necessary. The kit comes with one mount for a rear mount application, so I'm assuming that having one end mounted is probably OK.

Also going to get a nice graphic on the side of the plane - maybe the word "Wind" or "Wind S" or something, much bigger and more fitting than the stock sticker.

Just for a sample, I quickly drew this up for an idea:

Name:	Hf98898.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1357581  
Old 01-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Jetdesign

Question about mounting this motor:

There is a gold color shaft collar built into the motor 'can' at what will be the rear end, and a silver removable collar attached to what will be the prop side/front of the motor. This collar does not fit through the hole in the firewall. Probably a dumb question, but can I remove this collar or do I have to adapt the hole in the plane to fit? I was really hoping not to have to start cutting away at this beautiful plane.

Name:	Sp45522.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1359696  
Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Zebel

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Question about mounting this motor:

There is a gold color shaft collar built into the motor 'can' at what will be the rear end, and a silver removable collar attached to what will be the prop side/front of the motor. This collar does not fit through the hole in the firewall. Probably a dumb question, but can I remove this collar or do I have to adapt the hole in the plane to fit? I was really hoping not to have to start cutting away at this beautiful plane.

Ihad the same issue with my 4025 motor, Idid not want to make the shaft hole bigger worring that it may weaken the motor mount so Itook the shaft collar out. It seemed to be fine as long as the motor's thrust is forward it should not cause any harm.However, after couple of mopnths, one day at the field,I did notice that the gap around themotor can got a little biggerand on the next flight the motor burned. Iam not sure whether it is related to not having the collar or not.

On my new motor,(same exact one)Idid leave the collar and used Dremel to make the shaft hole a little bigger, four months has passed and so far no problem with the motor.Themotor mount seems very strong. So go for it.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Jetdesign

Thank you Zebel. I also heard from a trusted friend in our club to leave the collar on, so that's enough for me.

I took the aluminum mount that came with the motor and cut the ears off, and mounted it on the front of the nose ring of the plane. I will use this as a guide for cutting the nose ring, and it looks like it should work out very well.

Also I made a mistake earlier on saying that the motor shaft was too large for the bearing - it is not. I thought the recommended Hacker came with a 6mm shaft, but it must in fact be an 8mm shaft also.

Going to try some patience and not cut the plane tonight, rather do it in the morning when I'm well rested, there is more light, and noise won't be an issue.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:14 PM
tIANci

Dude ... you remove the collar. Its function is to ensure the shaft is secured when the prop is on the can. Do not drill the mounting. Then you will need the same collar at the back of the motor to hold the bearing in place. Look at my photo some where in this thread. The back has a plate that secures the rear shaft. It has a bearing. There will be a space of about 6mm between the bearing and the gold protrusion, that needs to be filled so the bearing stays in place. I used the same collar but its not tightened, used it as a spacer.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Jetdesign

Cool, I'm glad I waited!

Found this, too:
Original: Matt Kirsch Electrics Moderator
Many outrunner motors come with a collar that slides over the shaft on the "fixed" end of the motor. The reason for this collar is to reinforce the snap-ring that holds the shaft into the motor when you attach the propeller to the spinning can end of the motor. If you are attaching a prop adapter to the shaft protruding from the fixed end of the motor, then you can remove the collar.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Jetdesign

This is from Lucien. Sounds like the collar should stay, although I don't think this idea would work with respect to the prop adapter and spinner backplate. If I don't dream up something creative it looks like I'll be cutting in the AM.

Joe,

The silver collar is what holds the motor together. If you mount the motor
with the mounting face forward, the pull from the prop will hold the motor
together without the collar, but any time you go to idle, and the prop
starts to drag, it will push the motor back in a little bit. It will only
go a small amount before the attractive force of the magnets prevents it
from going any further, but it will go back and forth a bit. This can
hammer on the bearings a bit, and is not recommended.

What you can do is cut a spacer out of tubing that has an 8mm ID and a 9mm
OD that is just a hair longer than the thickness of your front mounting
plate, and slide that onto the shaft and then put the collar back on. Going
this way, you only need a hole that is about 9.5mm in diameter instead of a
16 or 17mm hole to fit the collar through.

How does that sound to you?

Lucien Miller
Innov8tive Designs, Inc.
1495 Poinsettia Avenue, Suite 144
Vista, CA 92081
Phone: 760-468-8838
Fax: 760-305-7749
Old 01-20-2010, 03:12 AM
tIANci

What Lucien says is most interesting, the 4035 when mounted on my Wind S is able to move back a little. Hmmmmm ...
Old 01-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Jetdesign

I made the cut. Maybe I'll post a pic later. It worked out really well - I chopped the ears off the X-mount that came with the engine and bolted it to the plane, using it as a template and guide. I used a side cutting bit in my dremel for most of the work, a grinding stone to get it really close, and the best part is that a dremel sanding drum fits right inside the hole, so it came out very round, very precise, and very clean.

I bought regular phillips "cheese head" screws to mount the engine, 12mm long was perfect, and there is just enough clearance on the prop side for the prop adapter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.