Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

FUNJET

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:03 PM
theb1bman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FUNJET

I am doing a CF rod with CF ribs

I started making the rib molds which are just a balsa rib cutout 3/8 thick
the ribs will also hold the pivot point for the gap free ailerons

thanks for the good words
Old 09-30-2009, 07:20 PM
blanik213

what are you using for hing material will they be full span living hinges. I did that on the Aurora worked out very well ,almost finished making a set of wipers to seal the deal and eliminate any bottom wing gaps also installed servo covers.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:44 AM
theb1bman

I will be using 2 sizes of CF rod. The bigger one runs full span and makes the pivot point and the smaller fits inside. One smaller one on each end of the ailerons
the ailerons are the same size as a stock funjet

there is not going to be any wood on this plane I am going for 100% CF just like my B1B

what are you using to make your mold? I am done using plaster I made my servo cover molds and air scoop mold with fiberglass and love it
Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 AM
chippedprop

ORIGINAL: theb1bman

I will be using 2 sizes of CF rod. The bigger one runs full span and makes the pivot point and the smaller fits inside. One smaller one on each end of the ailerons
the ailerons are the same size as a stock funjet

there is not going to be any wood on this plane I am going for 100% CF just like my B1B

what are you using to make your mold? I am done using plaster I made my servo cover molds and air scoop mold with fiberglass and love it
Post some pics to show how you do this.
Cp
Old 10-01-2009, 09:46 AM
theb1bman

will do
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM
blanik213

I will be using fiberglass also and once I am satisfied with the finished plug I will try to get a aluminum mold made which will allow me to make a small run of them(the Aurora) with greater consistence . Here are a few shots of how I did the elevon hinges on the Aurora from start to finish the hinge material was a three layer laminate one mylar layer(4/1000 thick)between two layers of ca hinge type material(3/1000 thick) total; thickness 10/1000 or 0.26mm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57494.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1286184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25305.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1286185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34027.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1286186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16508.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1286187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91436.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1286188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28277.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1286189  
Old 10-01-2009, 04:18 PM
theb1bman

nice work man

so is the last photo a prototype or a finished fiberglass plane
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 PM
blanik213

This is the finished prototype which will be flown with several power setups after which I will determine what if any further changes need to be made before making a copy plug of it .The plug will be used to make a fiberglass and possible aluminum mold in order to make several using fiberglass with carbon fiber in key stress areas. This project started as a Twin Jet but now bears non of the TJ's specifications except it's still a twin motor, it has been totally reworked, new wing and vertical stab airfoil,reshaped fuse,increased wingspan(38.5") custom designed air intakes and extractor ducts and custom designed dual canopies one for show and one to "goooo".New designation The AURORA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97215.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1286525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39460.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1286526  
Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Twister773

Man that thing looks awesome...if you ever make a few to sell I would definitely like one.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 PM
blanik213

There is a good possibility that there will be a few available this time next year and it will be a molded glass ship similar in construction to the Baio jet .
Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Flightops_69

Beautiful plane Blanik! Its been awhile since I have posted. The military has been keeping me busy. I've been flying my Funjet and Phase 3 F-16 for a bit. Till I killed my F-16. There is a reason in the Air Force we call them Lawn Darts, I figured the plane was just living up to its name. I finished rebuilding my Stryker yesterday and have been flying at the park today, she is still fun to fly, but looks nothing like your guys sweet looking builds!
Old 10-10-2009, 01:21 PM
blanik213

Thanks for the complement flighttops it was a long term project that took a lot of patience to complete but was well worth the effort. I am still making improvements to the power system and expecting to post some serious speeds in the near future but rite now she's still new and in that sorting out stage so increasing speed will be in increments.Good luck with your flying and stay safe.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:53 AM
KneEkolaaS

verrryyyy nice bud...

i was just about to buy a funjet... probably still will...but allready thinking of making 6mm depron versions...
please keep us up to date with your wonderful Aurora
Old 10-14-2009, 01:28 PM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

Is anyone using the microdan 2900kv motor with the new castle ice ESC on 4s setup. I have the scorpion ESC and it will not run on 4s with the microdan 2900kv motor.
Just want to be sure before i invest in a new ESC.

Thanks.
Chaitanya.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:54 AM
Gryphon

c_makhija,

Chippedprop has the same 2900KV motor, and he bought the same scorpion ESC from Microdan (May 2009).
Even though he had the 4S/90A rated ESC it still wouldn’t run right till he swapped out he ESC. He might have tried the 4S/70A version of the scorpion ESC too (with same bad results).

I think there is some kind of incompatibility with scorpion ESCs.

I'm sure Chippedprop can chime in for more accurate info and to correct me if I'm wrong.

p.s. I will edit my post with request in a PM from Chippedprop (good friend of mine).

Gryphon
Old 10-19-2009, 10:24 AM
chippedprop

ORIGINAL: c_makhija

Hi Guys,

Is anyone using the microdan 2900kv motor with the new castle ice ESC on 4s setup. I have the scorpion ESC and it will not run on 4s with the microdan 2900kv motor.
Just want to be sure before i invest in a new ESC.

Thanks.
Chaitanya.
I know that a E-flite 60 will run it.
The problem is the high switching rate on the Scorpion 8-16kh
On the e-flite it is 8-12-32 kv and the motor runs great on 12kh and 5-10 degree timing.
Look at the ICE and look for the switching rate freq.
Pm me if you need help. We have to get you in the air.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:14 AM
chippedprop

http://www.youtube.com/user/chippedprop49#p/a

This motor is going into the new FJ under const.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Zman39
My Feedback: (6)

[sm=biggrin.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-08-2009, 01:37 PM
fchris2

Hi there, after muckin around with lotsa other foamies, Ive decided to have a crack at an FJ. tried to get an arf but had to settle for buying one in parts. I forgot to get a motor mount and was hoping there a tried n true alternitive. Any one have ideas plese,
Thanks in advance.
P.s i`m running an inrunner
Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 PM
chippedprop

ORIGINAL: fchris2

Hi there, after muckin around with lotsa other foamies, Ive decided to have a crack at an FJ. tried to get an arf but had to settle for buying one in parts. I forgot to get a motor mount and was hoping there a tried n true alternitive. Any one have ideas plese,
Thanks in advance.
P.s i`m running an inrunner
Well if you can wait you can order from tower hobby
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPVL3&P=7

I looked on the web and no one has in stock.

You can use wire ties to mount the motor. You have install carbon fiber tube on the floor of the funjet. After that I use a balsa block then on top of the block I glue down a 1/16" piece of neoprene rubber to make sure the motor will not twist on the mount. The secert is to make sure the shaft of the motor is equal to or 1/16" below the back deck of the fuse.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:51 AM
alex_scratch_built

Hi Guys,
Just a sub 100mph funjet flying at night. Take a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpdlS4X8p08
Old 11-14-2009, 07:50 AM
risky

Hi Guy's ..I have been following this thread since it's beginning and have picked up some great tip's, my thank's to whoever started this. My first funjet is getting a little tired and going to start on my second. The first one was no slouch {119 mph , no wind, no diving, according to cop Radar} it scared all the old fart's at the club. But I want this new one to really rock. So i'm looking for the most effective mod's for speed. Has anybody ever cut the vertical"s down for less wind resistance?? and if so by how much? and was there any adverse effect's?
So far her's my setup
Arc 28-48-1.5
castle 80a esc
flightmax 3000mah 5cell
blue bird 380 max servo's
spectrum 2.4rx
i'm not sure what prop to use 6x4 apc gas or electric??
I would appreciate any suggestion's or constructive criticism's.......Thank's
Old 11-16-2009, 10:04 AM
chippedprop

ORIGINAL: risky

Hi Guy's ..I have been following this thread since it's beginning and have picked up some great tip's, my thank's to whoever started this. My first funjet is getting a little tired and going to start on my second. The first one was no slouch {119 mph , no wind, no diving, according to cop Radar} it scared all the old fart's at the club. But I want this new one to really rock. So i'm looking for the most effective mod's for speed. Has anybody ever cut the vertical''s down for less wind resistance?? and if so by how much? and was there any adverse effect's?
So far her's my setup
Arc 28-48-1.5
castle 80a esc
flightmax 3000mah 5cell
blue bird 380 max servo's
spectrum 2.4rx
i'm not sure what prop to use 6x4 apc gas or electric??
I would appreciate any suggestion's or constructive criticism's.......Thank's
Looks good. I would suggest to use hitec 65 metal gear servos.
On 5 cells I would suggest.... APC carbon fiber prop 4.75 x 4.2 or 4.5. Will drop the amps and increase speed. If amps are OK next would be 4.75x4.75 ...then 5.0x5.0
If on 4-5 cells you must balance your props. This will actually help the motor run better and longer.

Carbon fiber or pylon props on 5 cells is a must. The reg. props may shatter at speed. OUCH!!!

You can thin the fins. I use 3/32 lite plywood then cover with monokote. You have to take a lot of time to get the fins flat by ironing the bend of the ply out...but it can be done.
You do NOT want to shorten the fins. You can make them longer on the trailing edge 1/4 to 1/2 inch to increase stability...and /or longer and moving the fin forward 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

If you make your own fins, you will have to plug stock fin mounts ( I used balsa cut/sanded to fit sanded to match wing) then regrove for new fins. Make sure you get the exact same fin line as org.

The plane that I did this on had a ESC failure and was lost...but it did show a small diff. in speed and was much more stab. in all speed ranges. The best thing I found to increase speed was to remove the canopy and to cover the plane a the min. on the wings with monokote type covering.

Check the video to see the raked FJ
http://rcuvideos.com/video/Chippedpr...t-to-Music0001

The plane in vid. is NOT covered.
Cp
Old 11-17-2009, 10:59 AM
risky

Thank's chipped prop. Did you sand and fill before monocote? or just go over everything as is? I was thinking about adding some ca hinge's to reinforce the existing foam hinges on the elevon's.
My understanding { maybe i'm wrong} is that to get extreme speed's you need a low pitch little bigger prop to overcome wind resistance. I'm running a 4.75 x4.75 on my 120 mph funjet now , but i wonder how much cavitation i'm getting and losing efficiency. That's why i was thinking about a 6x4. When I watch you tube vid's it seem's to be the prop of choice...Thank's again
Old 11-17-2009, 02:36 PM
chippedprop

ORIGINAL: risky

Thank's chipped prop. Did you sand and fill before monocote? or just go over everything as is? I was thinking about adding some ca hinge's to reinforce the existing foam hinges on the elevon's.
My understanding { maybe i'm wrong} is that to get extreme speed's you need a low pitch little bigger prop to overcome wind resistance. I'm running a 4.75 x4.75 on my 120 mph funjet now , but i wonder how much cavitation i'm getting and losing efficiency. That's why i was thinking about a 6x4. When I watch you tube vid's it seem's to be the prop of choice...Thank's again
I do fill the wing seams with DAP brand lite weight spackling. It feels as nothing is in the container when you pick it up.

You can do that...low kv motor 6 to 7 inch prop with 4-5 cells. You will have speed and max climbing. I just like the scream of a high kv motor......
With the canopy removed I get much more air to the prop and motor.

Just make sure you have a watt meter and use it to test the diff. props. I had to retire a 60 amp esc as I was pulling 74 amps thru it...I didn't have a watt meter.

On the elevons I custom make mine from available balsa elevon stock.....You can use 3M extreme packing tape to make sure your elevons don't rip out. I'm surprised at 120 your not getting flutter due to the foam elevons not being able to withstand the torque from the servos to move.

You can wrap the elevon on both sides,then use a piece to cover the gap........to cover the gap (area where the movable foam meets the wing) gently move the servo and elevon all the way down ( your taping the top of the wing) 1/2 the tape on the wing...now fit it in to the crease....then on to the elevon ..check for binding...you now have a strong hinge the whole length of the elevon.

Please check the control horns after each flight...look to see if you see signs of pulling thru/out.

Props
Try.......
APC 5.0x5.0
APC 5.5x4.5 (one of m favs. for over all performance)

BALANCE BALANCE BALANCE the props...your turning around 28,000 rpms

know your max amps on the motor your using...and on the esc
It's best to have a min 10amps under the max amps on the ESC....'cause when you cook the ESC your going to crash.

I see your using ARC motor and castle ESC both can take a beating.

The first time I saw ARC motor was at Joe Nall Fly In..here in SC. They were on a RightWing...going 140 plus on 5 cells.
Both motor and battery were super hot on landing.....but very impressed

Cp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.