My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Beautiful bird man
Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Jaybird

Thanks! I haven't had a lot of flights on it yet this season, but it flies great.

Here is a link to the YouTube video posted by KVMA club photographer, Joe Gilbert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK6Bj...2&feature=plcp

Unfortunatley there is a helicopter flying behind the videographer so you can't hear the Saito in most of the video.

Jaybird
Old 07-24-2012, 04:49 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here it is... it's usually included with the Golden Knight. Will also fit the .56 but not sure of the engines in between those sizes.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

The part no. is SAI50GK93

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 07-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jaybird, that's one beautiful example of one of my all time favorites. Makes me regret selling mine, (built from a Pica kit).
Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet plane, dont mind the slime it will pay off in the long run and paper towels are cheap.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:25 AM
AeroFinn

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

ORIGINAL: svenska3

I have this beautiful 125 I need to find a plane for. I'm a intermediate pilot. I don't fly 3-D. Any suggestions???

Walt

I've just installed a 125 in a Great Planes WACO YMF-5D. Superb combination.

Still breaking mine in on YS 20/20 fuel. It leaves quite a smoke trail and a lot of slime on the bottom after a flight. I've been slowly leaning the low speed needle to get a more reliable idle.

Jaybird
regarding the FA-125a: has anyone tried to install a FG-21 cylinder & piston on it? I'm not sure about the exact details of the two engines but if this would work a small power increase might be gained due to the increase in displacement. This is provided, of course, the stock FA-125a carb and glow fuel could be used. And the engine could be converted (if so desired) to gas, too. So what do you think, should it work perfect or is it just gambling? I need to replace the cylinder and piston for my FA-125 anyways so that's why I'm interested in this option. Rgds artto
Old 07-25-2012, 03:04 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Bob, it fits everything from the .50 through the 1.25. It s ID is slighlty smaller than the 1.25s carb venturi diameter but most claim it does not effect the 1.25s power.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 AM
blw

Here is an update to the Saito Club:

Riadh   #781

CH Ignitions   #782

Rowdyjoe   #783

Anyone else have a Saito and need a number?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 AM
AeroFinn

ORIGINAL: blw

Riadh #781

CH Ignitions #782

Rowdyjoe #783

I wonder if I can be accepted as a member. I happen to have only one Saito, for the time being..a FA-125a..However, I would like to be a member, too
Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 AM
AeroFinn

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

ORIGINAL: AeroFinn

ORIGINAL: RC-Bearings

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Stainless would not last nearly as long as the HardChrome bearings plus Boca is a sponsor of this site. And I honor that.
There is no basis for this comment. Hard Chrome is a plating process that is not used on bearings. It is used to hard face wear areas such as cam lobes, etc. Stainless steel used in bearings is hardened to the same range as the chrome steel used in bearings. I sell many times more stainless sets than chrome steel because of the rust issue. No one has yet complained about shorter service life.
This is interesting. So what do I sacrifice if I go with stainless steel set instead of the hard chrome set? Nothing except for a little price difference? How's the max performance? Anayways, I think the worst alternative is to use bearings that may fail in the way that happened to my engine: the ring that holds the balls in their place failed totally = metal particles all over the inside of the engine. So is it now such that the stainless steel bearings just wear out, like good quality hard chrome bearings? Further, I think changing bearings in every winter as a regular maintenance is something I can live with. I would not like, however, to dismantle an engine during the flying season for changing bearings. I think I run somewhat 6-10 gallons of fuel (15% nitro) in every season. So what do you think might suit best in my case: hard chrome or stainless steel bearings? Thanks artto
I run strictly SS bearings and change them every year. You are wasting your money paying for anything else. They must be seated properly as well, my guess is that the rear bearing was not seated completely causing catastrophic failure.

I use only helicopter fuel in my saito which has 30% nitro and 23% oil content. Saito suggests this as well and to be fair, I fly helicopters so I already have access to the fuel and have several cases of it.

''A fuel with 10 to 15% nitro is fine, however higher nitro content (up to 30%) is suggested''

ALL my bearings come from RC-Bearings and not one has ever failed on any of my motors. I don't use after run oil or magic potions. My motors sit in the model in my garage all winter and start right up at the beginning of the season with zero rust.

RC-Bearings is the only place you should be buying bearings, period.

Thank you Tex. I guess I will go with the stainless steel set then.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: blw

Riadh #781

CH Ignitions #782

Rowdyjoe #783

I guees that makes me #784?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 AM
SrTelemaster150

regarding the FA-125a: has anyone tried to install a FG-21 cylinder & piston on it? I'm not sure about the exact details of the two engines but if this would work a small power increase might be gained due to the increase in displacement. This is provided, of course, the stock FA-125a carb and glow fuel could be used. And the engine could be converted (if so desired) to gas, too. So what do you think, should it work perfect or is it just gambling? I need to replace the cylinder and piston for my FA-125 anyways so that's why I'm interested in this option. Rgds artto

The bore is only .3mm (.012") larger & the FG engine is most likely lower compression for use W/the lower octane of gasoline so there would probably be little if any power boost.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:42 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Thank you Mr. blw ....

Old 07-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Cougar429

Is knowing your Saito Club number part of the test?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:31 PM
johnS555
My Feedback: (27)

Plus paying attention,, their gonna ask questions........

Saito # 119
Old 07-26-2012, 03:09 AM
AeroFinn

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

ok I guess you are right..I actually called Horizon Hobby for this matter. I was told that even though the FG-21 design is based on FA-125a they are totally different engines. According to the Horizon Hobby' s rep even the crankcase and crankshaft are different, too. He explained the cooling arrangement of the two engines is so much different, hence the reason for the parts not being interchangeable. I dunno..I think I'm not qualified enough to do the testing to confirm all this. So I will go for the regular FA-125a parts and forget about playing with the FG-21 parts (phil's hobby shop seem to have the needed parts in stock and serves Intl customers at reasonable shipment costs..). thanks for help, artto

The bore is only .3mm (.012'') larger & the FG engine is most likely lower compression for use W/the lower octane of gasoline so there would probably be little if any power boost.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:57 AM
spaceworm

How about doing it and converting to gasoline? I am going to convert my 120 and 180 to spark with glow fuel because of possible cooling issues with gasoline, so with those problems addressed with the head for the FG you should be good to go?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

How about doing it and converting to gasoline? I am going to convert my 120 and 180 to spark with glow fuel because of possible cooling issues with gasoline, so with those problems addressed with the head for the FG you should be good to go?
I checked part #s & the FG21 has a bronze bushed conrod whereas the FA125 is not bushed. Aparantly Saito feels that the lowered oil content requires the bronze bushing. The crank & case are different part #s too, but the bearings are 120 bearings in both cases so the case would probably interchange.

Besides, he's looking for more power & 1 more cc is probably not going to make up for the power loss from the lower octane/lower CR.

He could, of course, convert to spark W/glow fuel & get more power W/better fuel economy than glow ignition.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. 900 pages of Club Saito. Awesome! [8D]
Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
lopflyers

HELP. My 100 is acting up. It's turning off when iddling for more than 1-2 mins. It was too rich so I leaned it a bit. Now it lost all compression.
The prop turns like a bike wheel. Valves? 
Old 07-26-2012, 06:13 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

HELP. My 100 is acting up. It's turning off when iddling for more than 1-2 mins. It was too rich so I leaned it a bit. Now it lost all compression.
The prop turns like a bike wheel. Valves?

It didn't kick the prop loose did it?

Is the prop nut still tight?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:50 PM
lopflyers

Noon, it didn't loose the prop. I was trying to work with the iddle, adjusted the HS needle a couple of times. Then the glow plug ignitor was comming out too much so I changed the plug. The tank was full so a lot of fuel came out.[:@].
Right after I changed the plug I used the electric starter and it started for a few seconds and now has no compression. The plug is still there and tight.
It is inverted but angled 15 degrees so it was a project to change the plug w/o taking the cowling off.
Now as I write this I'm wondering if the plug is not tight enough?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Cougar429

I would recommend checking the plug first to ensure the gasket did not fall off during installation. If it is intact and tight then there are only a few things that can compromise compression.

First are stuck valves. You would hear hissing at the carb or exhaust on compression stroke if that were the case. You may want to pop off the valve covers to check for anything unusual and valve cycling when the prop is turned.

If you got a slug of raw fuel into the chamber and hit it with the starter you could have caused some damage. Unfortunately a tear down is the only way to tell for sure if the previous checks don't point to anything specific.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:35 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tuned my Saito 82b on the bench this week. It had been making a noise that I couldn't place. It was also leaving a very smokey trail which was cured when I leaned in the LSN about 1/2 turn.

Regarding the noise, I suspected valves. But they were spot on. Just the hint of a gap at TDC. Everything turns freely and no grinding noise when I turn the prop over by hand.

When I took the backplate off to check, I noticed that the rear/main bearing was sealed. Is this right? I don't recall ever seeing a sealed bearing in any engine. If that noise doesn't go away I'll pull the valve train and check the camshaft and cam but I don't think the problem is there.

Does anyone know if the rear bearing on the 82 is supposed to be sealed?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Here ya go. Right from the Horizon Saito .82 parts and accessories.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.