Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JWM 2007

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JWM 2007

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Default RE: JWM 2007

Way to go team you've done a great job!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:44 PM
dribbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few more.....

Scott Harris seems happy after his first flight (round 2) on Spektrum.... after locking out badly on 35mhz in round 1. Good field swap!

Just needed a matchbox to make the jetronic Retract valve work properly with the signal level from the AR9000.

Scott is now the SPM test pilot for BVM MetalCote finish system! Data was great on all flights with internal 9ch system... Rx A and B in the main box, and L and R for remote Rx's.

Also shown is the main Rx in my Mig... also uses to remote Rx nodes....

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11680.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	723699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26223.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	723700  
Old 07-15-2007, 11:51 PM
JET FX

Now I find this comment of Daves re- gyros interesting, Its just my opinion but I reckon if this is the case then it must take something away from the flying 'skill' value equation of the WJM??? I for one am curious as to learn why/when gyros became accepted in top level WJM jet competion. It seems you can add these to all flight control functions now? it this correct?? Should it not be about best builder and best flyer...

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

All the top models were gyro equiped and it showed-without one you will not win!
The large aeroplanes scored well in flight even though for me the floaty landings were far from scale, yet score well.
A few more shots here and more will be on the JMA site www.jmajets.co.uk later.

Dave Wilshere
Old 07-15-2007, 11:52 PM
JET FX

sorry double post[:@]
Old 07-16-2007, 12:13 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: JET FX

Now I find this comment of Daves re- gyros interesting, Its just my opinion but I reckon if this is the case then it must take something away from the flying 'skill' value equation of the WJM??? I for one am curious as to learn why/when gyros became accepted in top level WJM jet competion. It seems you can add these to all flight control functions now? it this correct?? Should it not be about best builder and best flyer...

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

All the top models were gyro equiped and it showed-without one you will not win!
The large aeroplanes scored well in flight even though for me the floaty landings were far from scale, yet score well.
A few more shots here and more will be on the JMA site www.jmajets.co.uk later.

Dave Wilshere
I suppose in the future, you could programme a flight plan & have your Tx fly the model for you. Marks would be awarded for the scale manner in which you flicked the on, off switch.
Taking things to extremes perhaps, but I would prefer to see models flown so as to show the unaided skills of the pilot. Difficult to draw a line I know.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:19 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Disappointed

I attended the JWM as a spectator travelling from England. I have to say that I was very disappointed with the event.Very little had been done for spectators and we were not allowed in the tents to view the lovely models. I know this is a competition and not a show but there was very little to see. Weather of course did not help..... I will not be attending again as I felt it was very poor from a spectators point of view

Dennis
Old 07-16-2007, 01:55 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 736 Likes on 532 Posts

Guys

Yes it was a shame that the US team missed their time on the podium, the English team were deflated with the mix up (even though we were still questioning the position on the podium-It WAS too good to be true!)

Tommy-good to talk with you, long trips home suck!

Ray good on you, but what about the others!

The English team talked about Gyros a lot, event though Jon Tappin and Ian used gyros they would be happy to ban them.
Yes gyros are used on all three axis by quite a few pilots.

Dave Wilshere
Old 07-16-2007, 04:11 AM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

They had organized tours of the tents, which I took advantage off (Tuesday), got pics of all the planes and a few notables as well.
Bob
Old 07-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Gordon W

I suppose it's too much to expect that the Airworld BAC Lightning would be demonstrated at the WJM? I haven't seen any pics of it on the various WJM photo sites.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:32 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Ribbe,
Could have been worse. They evidently, without notification, took Scott's turbine out of his crate, because they "smelt" fuel vapors. He is trying to get it back.

Dave,
Good to meet you as well, you and Paul are super nice guys and I look forward to seeing you again.

Also was good to meet those crazy Dutchmen, those guys are too cool, have you checked out that crazy Dutch van?? It is like a hippe wagon.
Hopefully everyone has made it home safely. NOw how do we get the Italians to return our trophy??????
Tommy
Old 07-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Roger Shipley
My Feedback: (35)

OK the US is moving on up....way to go Team USA ! ! !
I am wondering, due to the confusion, are there any pictures of the US Team in the awards ceremony or maybe I should ask did you get the Trophy?
Well Ribbe, what a tough break after completing the entire program without damage and have AA damage the Mig.
Dave, as Team Captain, please take time in the next few days to post what we have to do to win in Cyprus?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:27 PM
DocYates

Roger,
No pictures were taken, and Winnie assured me that the pictures that were taken will not be used. The trophy was kept by the Italian team and I am in the process of addressing that, I will keep you posted.
Dave has some good ideas and we all spent some times at the pub with others discussing strategies, and I think over the next year we can talk about the things we feel like we need to address.
Our guys were great and had many obstacles to over come. We were saved by the Spectrum systems (2.4) that Dave is so familar with and managed to bring along a few extra goodies which we used when we had several problems. We are defintely spoiled by our 72 Mhz systems, and going down to the 35 Mhz systems gave us the "willies" there for a few days. Horizon has got a great spokesman in Ribbe who spent as much time answering questions about this system than he did flying. They should put him on commission...haha
Right now I am just glad to be home.
Tommy
Old 07-16-2007, 04:20 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Reading the posts about the mess up at the awards It would seem that the organisation of the competitions etc was as poor as the organisation (or lack of it) for the spectators. I feel I was rather kind in my earlier post about how poor it all was from a spectators point of view..... I just realised it all cost me about £1000 and a week off. Frankly from my point of view It was not worth £50. To think I could have had a Jetlegend T45 with gear and in the week I could have had it built... Still we live and learn I just hope the organisers of the event next year learn and do a whole lot better or it will not be long before they dont have an event. Also choosing one of the wettest countries in Europe beggers belief.

Off now to sulk over what I could have had instead of a wet dissapointing week in Ireland.

Hope the Mig 15 will repair ok because for me it was the best model at the show

Dennis
Old 07-16-2007, 04:43 PM
jroth
My Feedback: (60)

They evidently, without notification, took Scott's turbine out of his crate, because they "smelt" fuel vapors. He is trying to get it back.
I just picked up Scott's AMT 280 from the International Terminal at O'Hare, American Airlines said "it's still here becouse the disposal guy has not showed up yet". Scotty you are lucky!

John Roth

Name:	Ki19867.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	724156  
Old 07-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry you had a dissapointing experience Dennis, pity we did'nt arrange to meet as you did mention on the AMD Hawk forum you were going and I would have gladly taken you in.

You mentioned the Jet Legend T45 here is mine in the middle of the static judging !

Seamus

Name:	Nl29318.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	724170  
Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 PM
dribbe

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the kind words... I am trying to get myself psyched up to get back in the shop to see if I can repair the damage well enough to got to the US Nationals at the end of the month...

I will try to put some other thoughts together soon.

David
Old 07-16-2007, 10:09 PM
S HARRIS
My Feedback: (6)

Wow!! What a day. I spent at least 4 hours on the phone with American Airlines about this issue, Last night at the airport I couldn't even get someone to sign a document saying they were witness to the missing turbine.they wanted me to leave and then file a claim with the TSA over the internet.NO WAY!!!!After requesting a airport cop and insisting on him making a stolen property report did they start talking. First they went back and forth, (TSA and AA) about who was responsible.Then AA produces a document with all events about the removal of a model airplane engine with fuel smell. I know they were just doing their job, but only 24 hours to correct a problem doesn't seem enough time. Like John said earlier it was very near being destroyed. OUCH!![]So I learned alot about shipping airliner. I should have wrapped it up in a plastic bag and maybe this would not happed in the first place.It's times like these when you find friends who really care when the chips are down. JOHN ROTH is a fine person in my book. He took the time to put up with me this morning and spent his LUNCH BREAK at Ohare Airport to recover my Turbine.I'll owe him BIG TIME!!!
Anyway JWM2007, What can I say. The event was a bit unorganized.A long distance between the tents and the actual Hangar where static was. Lack of internet connections (just inconvenient) Between that and the weather made for alot of concern whether or not we would get all the rounds in. But that worked out fine.Actually finished on Friday.This also allowed us to do alot of site seeing. A beautiful place too visit. I actually drove over 1800 miles on the left side of the road with any wrecks.LOL That was interesting to say the least.
Great team to travel with this year. Dewey and Shulman were a great addition. Doc Yates did a great job and well appreciated by all team members.I seemed to suffered thru the event. After a better Static than expected score I just couldn't seem to get the flying part together. With at least 3 lock outs in the 1st round,2nd round a check ride for the 2.4 gig system,which I must say is very good and allows you to check the link after the flight(really Cool part).And with some improvement in the 3rd I was relieved it was over with everything still in one piece.I have a bunch of pics to share with you guys later.
Thank again to all those who gave us support, Ron I made sure to Tip A Guiness for you and all my other beer drinking buddies.Ribbe, sorry to hear about the MIG. Get that bird fixed soon.I'm missing mine already. Think I'll be giving Shulnman a call soon.I'l be sure to post my pics soon. Later Scott
Old 07-17-2007, 07:19 AM
mikehannah

Hi
As a spectator I was very disappointed with the WJM. I arrived to see the last two days of the event only to find that the flying was almost over and there was no access to the models. Given the variable Irish weather that the event suffered I can understand that they got on with the event when they got the weather but not considering spectators ( especially after the gate price) was in my opinion a very poor show. If they did finish early they should have had a contingency plan in place.
I arrived back on the Saturday expecting to see the awards and display( as advertised) only to watch what later turned out to be a debacle of an awards presentation, no display and to be stiffed £7.50 for the privilege. If I had been told at the gate that there was no display I probably would have gone in anyway but I would have liked to have been given the option.

Some of the pilots made an effort to put something on and I think I speak for the rest of the Spectating Modelling public when I say a "Big thank you".

The Electric Ducted fan was incredible and I was very impressed with the Electic Helicopter as well. The off the peg displays by the other jet pilots were also very memorable ( stunning display by two Mig 29s) and the Sports Flash.

M
Old 07-17-2007, 11:41 AM
gluit

Was the event run by local people or some central committee? They have run a lot of events, why so many problems this time?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Minch

I was at the Jet Masters all week, supporting team England and here are a few photos.

Name:	Qo39111.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	724787   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45159.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	724788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14006.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	724789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17579.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	724790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zl70350.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	724791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc48320.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	724792  
Old 07-17-2007, 02:46 PM
mikehannah

Hi Gluit
It is my understanding that the IJMC has very little to do with the running of the actual event. It is down to the people of the individual host nation to arrange and run the event on behalf of the IJMC. However ( and I await to be shot at over this one) it is run under the IJMC banner and they must, in some part take responsibility for lack of organisation and the the over all running of the event.

I would feel like Bigplumbs if I hadnt met some great people and gone to support my friends so for me it was both a bad and a good experience. It was incredible to see names you only read about in these forums walking past you.

Mike
Old 07-17-2007, 03:00 PM
DocYates

Mike,
I think you are right, and the people in charge of the IJMC has sworn that this will not happen again. I was told that they plan, if they have to, to travel as many times as necessary, to Cyrpus to assure that the next event will be done under the watchful eye of the IJMC.
The problems at this meet were compounded by the unfortunate accident early on the week where one of the organizers was injured. This setback left them pretty well stunned. I would have expected the paperwork and accounting issues to be handled better. I was even ready to dismiss them and forget the torted mess until the screwup at the final ceremony, there may be a reason for it, but there is really no excuse. The flying ended on Friday afternoon, leaving more than 18 hours to get the scores compulated and double checked, and they were not. One of my team members was not afforded the right to walk up on the stage and be recognized despite numerous attempts to correct an obvious error. On top of this my team was not afforded the proper right to be recognized and receive acknowledgement for something we were all trying to accomplish. It is a missed opportunity.
These things will be discussed ad nauseum in the next IJMC meeting, of this I am sure. I am not trying to be bitter about it, and as much as I was angry, I am also extremely grateful for the people I met and got to know. If I had been a spectator, I too would have been ticked, because of the lack of access to the models. I personally took a few people into the tents to show them around, just to get them out of the miserable weather.
Tommy
Old 07-17-2007, 03:19 PM
mikehannah

Doc
I can only guess how you feel and your team feel. I know how at least one member of the English team feels and it is just as bad as you feel right now. I will wait and see if anything good comes out of this affair before I decide to go and spectate in Cyprus.

Mike
Old 07-17-2007, 03:26 PM
DocYates

Mike,
If nothing else, just go to Cyprus, I hear they have some beautiful beaches, some are even "nekked" ones, or so I was told. If you get bored at the beach, then go to the show...LOL Sorry you had a lousy time, wish I had known it, I would have gotten you in the tents so you could at least have gotten a closer look at the planes.
Tare care
Tommy
Old 07-17-2007, 03:33 PM
john agnew

Mike

Sorry I did not get to see you at the WJM, I left early on Friday as I was committed to a weekend away. Despite the many critiscisms we had a good time. The weather was only horrible for about a total of two days or so and all the competition flying finished on time. As to the access to the tents we had one day, the first Saturday when the tents were full of spectators and it was really difficult to work on our models for the number of people.There seemed to be no control over this and we were eventually reduced to asking people without passes to leave the tents. Everyone mucked in and helped each other with parts for repairs, batteries for charging etc. and it was amazing how quickly the time passed.

There was some superb flying and , of course wonderful models. Sotland did very well considering how inexperienced most of the team were finishing up 11th team out of 26 competing. Malcom Balfour in particular, having two high scoring flights on my Hawk in open class, unfortunately losing the canopy on his third flight when the pilot decided to eject when inverted in a slow roll.Malcolm carried on as if nothing had happened despite the sudden CG change and drag he made a perfect landing.

John

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.