Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Will not start - idle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 PM
S.R.G.
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will not start - idle?

Ok, I ran it on the first tank ok from the factory settings. Then on trying to start the second - flood - then flood - then flood - then run, but wait, gets flooded. Well, we get that down with the low speed screw, the we tinker with the idle screw = bad idea. Now the thing will not start, and acts like it is not getting iny gas at all. What is going on here? What is the tock idle screw setting? ---- only reason we stopped is we had no idea, as well as the glow plug igniter lasted a whole 1 run/start - yep, I got a lemon for 9 hours of charging and only one start out of it.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:22 PM
webbl19

Default RE: Will not start - idle?

you turn the idle screw until there is a 1mm gap when you look in the carb.

why did you have it charging for 9hrs? and how do you know it is bad?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Macanan

Go 3 to 3 and a half full turns out on the high end needle and go 2 and a half turns out on the low end needle and go by this chart for your idle
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66064.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	852337  
Old 01-15-2008, 08:24 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the idle should be set so the carb is open 1mm, take the air filter off and check. if not turn the idle screw clocwise until its open a little. are you sure the glow plug is still good, they are known to go during break in and rich running. if the plug is not lighting up, the engine wont start.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:27 PM
webbl19

i have had better luck starting mine with the low speed needle flush with the coller not just 2 1/2 turns.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM
S.R.G.

Glow plug is lighting - but with the glow igniter I received, it will not light but for like a minute - but with loner (which is gone now), it lit up perfectly and kept lit (glow plug igniter had a charge). With the idle screw I get a 1 mm opening almost, but the idle screw either in or out (counterclockwise or clockwise) does not seem to do a thing. Also, the mesh now I see is very loose. I hold the clutch gears (black) and then move the silver gear, and I can tun it freely (if I am doing this correct). I have no idea what the heck is going on here.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:32 PM
ehroof

sounds like the mesh need to be adjust, move the engine closer. are you adjusting the idle by using the screw with the spring on it under the air filter?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:32 PM
S.R.G.

Yep, the little black screw directly under the air filter. To get to the mesh, I really need to know the proper way to take the top plate off - cannot see how to properly do so without removing the servo - which seems to be a severe pain.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 PM
ehroof

you dont have to remove the top plate to adjust the mesh, just loosen the 4 screws on the bottom that hold the engine. Push the engine so the gears are touching, use your fingers and see if they are fitted tightly, the correct mesh is when there is a tiny bit of play between the gears, you can feel it, just hold one finger on the spur gears and move the clutch bell back and forth, there should be a little play. also the car should roll freely when pushed forward, no binding.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:02 PM
S.R.G.

Ok, so just push them snug together, let of a hair - then hold the spur gear (silver) and feel for hair sized play in the clutch gears (which is opposite of what i have been told). Ok, and another thing, clockwise is normally close, and counter is open - but from post, this is opposite when it comes to the idle screw? Clear me up on that someone.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:09 PM
ehroof

clockwise opens the idle, counter clockwise closes it. clockwise closes the needles for tuning (leaning), counterclockwise open them (richen). you can feel for play in either the clutch bell or the spur gear, just make sure you hold one of them and feel for the play with the other one.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 PM
S.R.G.

Thanks. I am hoping my glow plug did not go bad. I had ordered an extra glow plug from Tri County Racing, but failed to receive it. I will be extremely angry if my glow plug goes out - as I SHOULD have got the extra with my rc.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:22 PM
webbl19

do you not have a hobby shop close by? they all carry glow plugs.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:35 PM
S.R.G.

Yes, I do, but no they do not have glow plugs in stock. I just went and tested it again - 1 mm opening on the idle, low speed to the silver (also 2.5 turns, and 3 tried), high speed tested at 2.5 and 3 turns - still nothing. The glow plug igniter seems to be charged, but forgot dang wrench at home when I went to test it at our shop = did not get to check glow plug. If it comes out to be the glow plug, how can you clean them? (cleaning was posted in forum somewhere, but i misplaced it).

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:41 PM
codokas

ORIGINAL: S.R.G.

Also, the mesh now I see is very loose. I hold the clutch gears (black) and then move the silver gear, and I can tun it freely (if I am doing this correct). I have no idea what the heck is going on here.

Make sure you are not turning the flywheel-and IMO that is what you are doing--this will turn freely
Correct on the black gear but then you rock the END of the bell--the smaller gear at the end of the bell-you have to reach in there a little to move that one
DOUG
Old 01-15-2008, 10:45 PM
S.R.G.

Wow, then move this one to that end where you will then move the little one between that and that - LOL. Ok, talking in complete newbie form - do what? (lol)

ORIGINAL: codokas

Also, the mesh now I see is very loose. I hold the clutch gears (black) and then move the silver gear, and I can tun it freely (if I am doing this correct). I have no idea what the heck is going on here.

Make sure you are not turning the flywheel-and IMO that is what you are doing--this will turn freely
Correct on the black gear but then you rock the END of the bell--the smaller gear at the end of the bell-you have to reach in there a little to move that one
DOUG
Old 01-15-2008, 10:50 PM
webbl19

he is saying make sure you are not turning the flywheel instead of the clutchbell when you are checking the mesh.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 PM
codokas

Wow, then move this one to that end where you will then move the little one between that and that - LOL. Ok, talking in complete newbie form - do what? (lol)

LOL--OK you did good in holding the black gear
Now look at the end of the engine--there will be a big gear closer to the engine--that is the flywheel
Look further to the end of the clutch bell-the silver thing--you will see smaller gear ( or 2 if it's a 2 speed) this is the gear/s you have to get your finger on to check the mesh--any clearer LOL
DOUG

DOUG
Old 01-15-2008, 11:04 PM
S.R.G.

Yes, a little clearer perhaps - if looking through muddy water is clear. Let me say what is getting me.

LOL--OK you did good in holding the black gear ----------- Ok, I am holding the 2 gears from the bottom that are part of the clutch I think
Now look at the end of the engine--there will be a big gear closer to the engine--that is the flywheel
Look further to the end of the clutch bell-the silver thing--you will see smaller gear ( or 2 if it's a 2 speed) this is the gear/s you have to get your finger on to check the mesh--any clearer LOL

And the rest is like - ok the 2 I am holding are the 2 speed gears/clutch gears - but the rest here is blah. I am sitting here looking at it, and had my friend read it - we are not even getting it fully. Not stupid by no means, but I have been told in pm's and post so totally different. Does anyone have the correct way?

Here is what I have beenn told 3 out of 11 post or pm's -

On the bottom there will be a single, silver gear. This is the spur gear.
Now to the right of that will be 2 black gears. Those are the 2 speed gears/clutch.
Hold the 2 black gears snug. with this done, move to the silver gear and check for play left and right.
If it moves more than the thickness of a hair, it is too loose. this means as you turn it, it just barely nudges.

If this is correct, please tell me so. Not to sound in any way rude, but these pm's and post of "here, there, closer, farther, just push it around" is confusing, and completely worthless to me as a beginner - I try to comprehend and half of the time with these instructions yo are holding and pushing the same gear at the same time.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:11 PM
codokas

This might make it easier for you to follow---here is a picture of a clutchbell
http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...p?partno=02107
I generally hold the black gear and rock the smooth part (the clutch rides on the bottom of this part)of this to check mesh
DOUG

LOL--OK you did good in holding the black gear
DOUG

DOUG
Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 PM
S.R.G.

Not really, but thanks for trying to help with that pic. i guess I am going to make a picture of the bottom of my Tornado BB and the top for someone to diagram what to hold and what to move. I have been sent that link before, but that does not help to have a part not pictured on the car - that is like having a picture of an extremely small Lego piece in a 8000 piece Lego and saying "this is the piece, find it".
Old 01-15-2008, 11:30 PM
S.R.G.

Ok, here is the bottom of a Tornado BB I found on there site. Can anyone label this on what to hold and what to move (as well as direction if possible - clockwise, counter, push left and right, etc.).

On this pic, I am holding the 2 black gears snugly, while moving the silver gear left and right.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56723.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	852505  
Old 01-15-2008, 11:38 PM
TNIGS

that silver thing on the bottom is not a gear. its a fly wheel. you need to reach in the top of the car to reach the gears. these are in front of the fly wheel
Old 01-15-2008, 11:49 PM
codokas

ORIGINAL: TNIGS

that silver thing on the bottom is not a gear. its a fly wheel. you need to reach in the top of the car to reach the gears. these are in front of the fly wheel
Correct and that is what I thought he was doing and correct you are about how to do it
DOUG
Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

no as I told you on the phone, hold the 2 black gears from the bottom and check the mesh by moving the clutchbell which you can not see from the bottom. It is the gear that comes in contact with those black gears . The flywheel on bottom does not come in contact with the spur gears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.