Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 10:56 AM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
talk about how ineffective I am, nobody listens, etc. On the other hand, some seem to see me as a one-man wrecking crew .
Originally Posted by grognard
MA should seriously consider revoking your membership for cause.
because YOU are a five digit AMA demi-God,
Your sense of self importance leads you to present a false choice.
Another forum thread gone bad where two or three take things too far with insults and posturing themselves to be more important or more correct than the other person. No one walks away to be the wiser man. Everything else combined, real or imagined, couldn't persuade a new person more to avoid wanting anything to do with this hobby, which includes membership to RCU, RCG, or the AMA clubs from where these attitudes extend. This is the predictable outcome found in so many threads online in our RC world.

It's probably what FAA considered as they're throwing our hobby away for their privacy, control and free airspace as higher priorities than read this stuff and take us as a worthy group. When you display this misfit type behavior, you've captured the essence of why many have flown outside of AMA clubs for years and you've given people no invitation or interest that the clubs have any desirable qualities for them to be part of. All it takes is this sort of thing to ruin it.

If they risk this sort of meet and greet or atmosphere walking in as a beginner, who in their right mind would? This simply adds to the problem of flying rogue whether they're safe or not, following any guidelines whatsoever, all becomes a guess, just to avoid aggressive or passive aggressive behavior and conflict that surfaces, reinforcing the FAA changes you're about to see happen. They can't take us seriously when this is the most common demonstration of how we talk about any random topic online and start with these personal attacks publicly.

Last edited by J330; 03-06-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:16 PM
mach5nchimchim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giant Flyer
What a clown
+1 I agree
Old 03-06-2020, 12:17 PM
mach5nchimchim

Originally Posted by J330
Another forum thread gone bad where two or three take things too far with insults and posturing themselves to be more important or more correct than the other person. No one walks away to be the wiser man. Everything else combined, real or imagined, couldn't persuade a new person more to avoid wanting anything to do with this hobby, which includes membership to RCU, RCG, or the AMA clubs from where these attitudes extend. This is the predictable outcome found in so many threads online in our RC world.

It's probably what FAA considered as they're throwing our hobby away for their privacy, control and free airspace as higher priorities than read this stuff and take us as a worthy group. When you display this misfit type behavior, you've captured the essence of why many have flown outside of AMA clubs for years and you've given people no invitation or interest that the clubs have any desirable qualities for them to be part of. All it takes is this sort of thing to ruin it.

If they risk this sort of meet and greet or atmosphere walking in as a beginner, who in their right mind would? This simply adds to the problem of flying rogue whether they're safe or not, following any guidelines whatsoever, all becomes a guess, just to avoid aggressive or passive aggressive behavior and conflict that surfaces, reinforcing the FAA changes you're about to see happen. They can't take us seriously when this is the most common demonstration of how we talk about any random topic online and start with these personal attacks publicly.
+1, I agree; he thinks he's the aerospace messiah...
Old 03-06-2020, 01:05 PM
RCUer75345
Banned

...and start with these personal attacks publicly.
Nothing I've said in this exchange with Franklin_m meets the definition of a "personal attack". I've quoted some of his own words, which are a matter of public record; and I've suggested certain actions should have consequences. I've also pointed out the course of action a man with integrity would take.

All just my opinion of course, and others are free to disagree.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:10 PM
mach5nchimchim

Honestly though, when it come's to these forum's who is the common denominator on all these anti-ama faa hot button issues.... Just saying my 2 pesos...
Old 03-06-2020, 02:01 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your sense of self importance leads you to present a false choice. It's basically "conduct prejudicial." If a Naval officer had issues with an new program, or alleged misconduct on the part of his superiors; and took his case to the tabloids rather than addressing the matter "through channels"; his career would suffer accordingly. The military can and has court martialled individuals when such conduct was blatant enough.
The major difference, which you failed to note, is that one takes an oath in the military, one thats pledges to obey lawful orders. There is no such oath to AMA. We are not obligated to pledge fealty to organization or the EC.

You've stated the AMA is doing more harm than good, that the hobby is dying anyway, and the threat due to model airplanes is real. Right. Fine. Have the integrity to act on your convictions and get out. Do not sell your equipment; destroy it so no malefactor can buy it and commit mayhem with it.
It is not a binary choice. I am not required by AMA bylaws to support all of their policy objectives, nor am I bound by that document to give up my opinions or choose between AMA or my right to express my opinion as a taxpayer. As I've said multiple times, I oppose ANY private dues collecting organization that attempts to use law or regulation to force association (aka compel membership) in order to exercise a privilege in the PUBLIC airspace, highways, roads, or airwaves.

If this is too much for you, at least have the decency not to use any FRIA that does not meet the standards you proposed for public access. Obey the limitations you would impose on others.
There is yet to be a single FRIA established, and when they are, my hope is that as a condition of such designation they MUST be open to all citizens w/o regard for membership status in any private dues collecting organization. I'm not alone in that opinion, as DJI expressed similar concerns - although they approached it from a different direction - that membership amounts to requiring permission - something the law prohibits the FAA from doing.

Thank you for your kind advice, but I choose not to follow it.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:01 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

If your audience is ONLY those who are already members, who recognize a low member number vs a high member number, you are right. On the other hand, if you're using them as sort of advertising, then the audience will not recognize the significance of a five digit member number vs a six digit member number ... because THEY'RE NOT MEMBERS ... in which case this might be worth while.

I defer to your exhaustive expertise about all things aviation, advertising, cost controls, managment, policy making, legal and regulatory, marketing, human behavior etc. ... because YOU are a five digit AMA demi-God, while the rest of us are mere mortals with six digit numbers.

One more thing ... given the minutes from the latest EC meeting, with lots of "...declining...", "...going down...", etc. (a 'picture' of financial health and good management), the sticker may be one easy one to put on the budgetary chopping block.

Yes, members will recognize that I am a long time member my my 5 digit AMA number. As non members go, they usually couldn't care less about my flight box or transmitter case, they are usually looking at my custom built, high quality, beautifully finished and flown airplane that has my AMA number incorporated into the paint/covering job. When they ask what AMA 22554 means I explain it to them.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:48 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Yes, members will recognize that I am a long time member my my 5 digit AMA number. As non members go, they usually couldn't care less about my flight box or transmitter case, they are usually looking at my custom built, high quality, beautifully finished and flown airplane that has my AMA number incorporated into the paint/covering job. When they ask what AMA 22554 means I explain it to them.
Truly virtuous. I don't know how any of us could hope to be so graced to just be in your presence. I mean to be near someone with clearly superior knowledge of all things aviation, of all things legal, of all things policy, of all things regulatory, of all things human nature, of all things marketing ... I think we should nominate you for AMA Sainthood. I mean clearly you're better than all of us who just fly our less beautifully constructed, less impeccably flown, and certainly so lazy we don't even take the time to make custom transmitter boxes and surely other unmentioned custom one of a kind museum quality items. Probably many are even gold plated. I guess we lesser hobby types should just genuflect in your direction and stop mid sentence when you speak.

But that's right. AMA continues to lose members, and continues to see declining member revenue, and continues to see declining advertising. I can hardly wait to see how the five digit AMA number solves that one. But I forget, I'm sure you've got a magic wand, something issued only to AMA royalty like you.

Last edited by franklin_m; 03-06-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:26 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Gents , please remember this is supposed to be the non fighting thread . I know the whole FAA/AMA/ hobby decline thing is both stressing and distressing , and it's quite easy to let the tensions come out whenever and wherever , but I'd really like to see this one thread remain positive , if we could do that ?
Old 03-06-2020, 05:45 PM
speedracerntrixie

With all due respect , I would suggest you direct your request to the guy who is dishing out the majority ( by a large margin ) of disrespect towards other members and posting off topic.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:50 PM
init4fun

"If ya wanna stop a bunch of mechanically inclined people from arguing , show em something SO cool they'll be too amazed to argue"

And so , coming at ya , here's Goodyear's light up tires .

Really ? Light up tires ? Your BSing me here init4fun , right ????

Nope , for real and dead serious , in the late 1950s / early 1960s Goodyear experimented with translucent rubber with the express purpose of lighting the tires from within , a way cool prehistoric forerunner to today's (not quite as cool) "underglow" lights seen on custom cars . They fielded several test cars fitted with the new tires which were a hit everywhere they were shown . In the black & white picture a young lady adjusts her stocking by the light of the tires in New York circa 1961 (if you look close you can see the wire running into the wheel hub that brought power to the 20 bulbs mounted to the inside of the rim) , and in the color shot is a much later custom car sporting a set of the translucent light up tires .

Sadly , they never went into full production as both cost and traction issues forced the abandonment of the project sometime in the mid 1960s , but man oh man would I just LOVE a set of these for my Firebird !!!!

Last edited by init4fun; 03-06-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:09 PM
speedracerntrixie

Quite interesting indeed, I was not aware that illuminating tires were ever tried. Honestly I think it quite amusing how when I post a picture of an airplane that I designed, built and have won masters pattern with on a remote controlled airplane site that it should ruffle someone so badly. Think about that for a moment. Are people really so petty that they feel the need for cheap shots at somone sharing their works of art to fellow members?
Old 03-06-2020, 06:16 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by init4fun
Gents , please remember this is supposed to be the non fighting thread . I know the whole FAA/AMA/ hobby decline thing is both stressing and distressing , and it's quite easy to let the tensions come out whenever and wherever , but I'd really like to see this one thread remain positive , if we could do that ?
Post #19 was a test of sorts. Note that I made no comment (like trashing stickers) not made by someone else earlier, and even posted a suggestion that might be an alternative to the multitude of designs. And that comment was immediately quoted and met with:

...No need for stickers to show how long anyone has been a member, your AMA number provides that info.
And that was followed by a pile on of sorts. It demonstrates to me at least that no matter what, anything I post even when constructive and non-controversial is met with snide responses from virtue signalers.

Last edited by franklin_m; 03-06-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:42 PM
RCUer75345
Banned

Post #19 led off with:
Mine go straight in the trash.
Constructive start, wasn't it?

And that was followed by a pile on of sorts.
Yes, you piled on Speed after he politely disagreed with you in #20.

It demonstrates to me at least that no matter what, anything I post even when constructive and non-controversial is met with snide responses from virtue signalers.
And it demonstrates your essential hypocrisy to practically everyone else.

Now, on the happy side: I'm about to consume an enormous piece of French silk pie!

Old 03-06-2020, 07:10 PM
franklin_m

Funny, you pick out mine, but take no issue with any of the four prior comments, including your own:
...I have to admit that I have always tossed them...
Originally Posted by init4fun
...I began throwing them away myself...
...When the pile gets too thick, they'll go in the trash...
Originally Posted by mach5nchimchim
...I've tossed mine ... I never really considered having a AMA sticker a badge of honor...

All of which reflected people throwing them in the trash. I guess it's "constructive" for YOU to say you throw them in the trash, but when I do it, you opine:

Yes, you piled on Speed after he politely disagreed with you in #20.
First, I don't see Speedy's comment as polite, I see it as virtue signaling with his five digit AMA number. That and $5 will get you a cup of coffee ... that's how little it matters in the real world.

And it demonstrates your essential hypocrisy to practically everyone else.
See above for a great example of hypocrisy : how "they'll go in the trash" is constructive when YOU say it, but when I say "they go straight in the trash" - it's NOT constructive.

Now, on the happy side: I'm about to consume an enormous piece of French silk pie!
Enjoy your pie. I'm having a 20 year old Armenian Brandy ... same brand given to Churchill by Stalin at Malta.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:31 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

So much for this being a tire thread.

​​​​​​
I designed, built and have won masters pattern with
Remarkable. I struggle to get wrinkles out of Monokote on the wingtips of a kit build to this day, or sand the wing tip blocks evenly, or get the turtle deck covered the way I like it in one color...but I stick it out to fly and it looks good 10 feet away!

Last edited by J330; 03-06-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:49 PM
speedracerntrixie

So much for this being a tire thread.

​​​​​​

Remarkable. I struggle to get wrinkles out of Monokote on the wingtips of a kit build to this day, or sand the wing tip blocks evenly, or get the turtle deck covered the way I like it in one color...but I stick it out to fly and it looks good 10 feet away!

Thanks, the goal is to enjoy your hobby. As long as you are doing so you are ahead of the game.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:58 PM
R_Strowe

Thanks, the goal is to enjoy your hobby. As long as you are doing so you are ahead of the game.
Speaking of enjoying the hobby, does anyone have an idea if Coverite 21st Century fabric is still available? It’s either that or maybe real silk and dope on a 25% Midwest Super Stearman I’m trying to finish.

R_Strowe
Old 03-07-2020, 03:53 AM
franklin_m

Even those of us that are lowly six digit AMA numbers? Flying control line this afternoon?
Old 03-07-2020, 04:14 AM
RCUer75345
Banned

Originally Posted by R_Strowe
Speaking of enjoying the hobby, does anyone have an idea if Coverite 21st Century fabric is still available?
You might like the new Oratex fabric carried by Balsa USA. Sticks well, shrinks very well and takes acrylic paint well.

Here it is on my 1/6 scale Nieuport 28:

Last edited by RCUer75345; 03-07-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:44 AM
speedracerntrixie

Even those of us that are lowly six digit AMA numbers? Flying control line this afternoon?

Yes Franklin, my hope is that if you do to flying today is that you enjoy yourself. Regardless of what you may think I do not look down upon anyone based on what they fly.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:58 AM
franklin_m

Yes Franklin, my hope is that if you do to flying today is that you enjoy yourself. Regardless of what you may think I do not look down upon anyone based on what they fly.
I'm just a lowly six digit AMA member going about my day, as one who accepts that I can never be as accomplished, honored, knowledgeable, or revered as the five digit nobility.

Last edited by franklin_m; 03-07-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:06 AM
init4fun

I won't be flying it this afternoon , but I've still got one flyable CL plane . It's a Flight Streak powered with an Enya .19 (with a muffler , for the neighbor's benefit) .

Old 03-07-2020, 08:43 AM
speedracerntrixie

I was planning on some sailplane flying tomorrow afternoon, depends on how much work I can get done on the new pattern airplane build. Got a decent amount of motivation going by ordering the 6 servos, motor and ESC for it this morning. Build thread here:

Divergent kits
Old 03-07-2020, 12:46 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, the humility!

Astro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.