Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Matthew Allen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D

ORIGINAL: Adam G

My 2 cents:

I have to 2 Super Tigres, and 4 O.S's. My .40 sized Super Tigre, I think it is a .46, is a decent runner when it runs. I have it on a trainer and I can't get it run under 1/4 throttle no matter how I putz with it. I still fly with it, I just kill the motor as I bring it in. The other Super Tigre is in an airboat. I out it in the boat because when it quits on me I don't have to worry about landing it. Enough said on that one.

My O.S.'s are a .25LA in a cub, a .40LA in a sport plane, .61fx in my Twist, and .61fx in my Harmon Rocket. They all run flawlessly, and I mean flawlessly. Every single one of them fire right up and run like a top. They all idle down to a crawl, and are smooth throughout the RPM spectrum. I would say the .40LA has about 200 tanks throught it, the .61's have about 75 flights, and the .25 has about 100 flights on it.

Based on my experience with these engines I would only buy O.S. engines. I feel they are worth the extra money. I am planning on a 4 stroke next. I have been considering Saito based on how many of you guys on here have them. I am not sure but O.S. four stroke is the way I am leaning now. Cost is pretty comparable, so why not go with the brand that I trust.

Sounds like a lot of guys have had good luck with the Super Tigres, and if they work for you, more power to you. They cetainly are inexpensive. Got to go fly the Twist. Have a good weekend guys.

Adam
Adam, my Tigre was doing the thing of not running at low throttle until the idle was richened by quite a lot. It's that trade-off thing - you have a fantastic pick-up when it's a bit lean, but the darned thing just won't slow down.

The reason I'm using this engine is that I was given it (unused) for FREE, so price didn't even come into it. If I were starting from scratch I'd probably get and OS or an OS clone just for their user-friendliness. I have a .25FX and it's a great little engine. Powerful, easy to use, and it has a nice external finish too. I also like the rear needle valve - the Tigre puts your fingers less than an inch from the prop which can be a little unnerving.

To the rest of you: glow fuel tastes horrible![:'(]

Matthew
Old 06-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Jack211

Waldo, you're breakin' my heart, not being able to fly. Just take a plastic bag, put it over the radio (you never look at it in flight anyway), and fly! The Twist won't mind. I've done it successfully in the rain (not a true downfall, understand, visibility at a quarter mile).

Yeah, and watch the dope with the candles, Dope.

I gotta report, before DTs gets in here: the Voyager Long EZ, with a pusher 10 x7 and a SuperTigre .51 never got off the ground. It was a joke, a sad joke. It didn't have the power to taxi on a fresh-cut field. It only got to about 25 mph on the effing ROAD! So she's had no wind in her hair yet. I suspect the pusher prop needs more clean air in front of it--the fuse denies her much "clean air." If I can find a 12x10 pusher prop, I'll try that, but I think she needs an OS .61FX and a 13x ? pusher prop. What a disappointing morning with the Voyager, but I had fun with the Goldberg 330 and got a 19:23 min flight with the Hirundo. Clouds were great. Winds calm.

Adam, I'd forget the Saito, go OS. Visit the <Club Saito> RCUniverse forum. Those guys have ENDLESS problems with Saitos. I did, too, though the 82a has done well--since rebuilt under warranty. Waldo's secret is he got HIS Saito before the mass market bit Saito--and bit production, methinks.

Note the before after pic of the finger that pusher prop did in. See? It's healed; shame ain't.

J

P.S. See ya all in a couple weeks--unless I can get on line elsewhere.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44320.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	482063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37305.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	482064  
Old 06-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Ernie Misner

Jack, your finger is looking MUCH better.... whew!

Mathew, as you probably know, ST says you can lean the midrange by rotating the spraybar a bit -- fuel nipple towards the engne mounting lug. On my G90 I finally put a different brand of carb on it and it cured all. If you have an OS 46 carb, try putting it on your ST engine. (most 40 size engines have the same size opening)

Ernie
Old 06-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Matthew Allen

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Jack, your finger is looking MUCH better.... whew!

Mathew, as you probably know, ST says you can lean the midrange by rotating the spraybar a bit -- fuel nipple towards the engne mounting lug. On my G90 I finally put a different brand of carb on it and it cured all. If you have an OS 46 carb, try putting it on your ST engine. (most 40 size engines have the same size opening)

Ernie
I tried rotating the spraybar and as far as I could tell it didn't make a pinch of difference. 'Fraid I don't have another carb either. I could always buy one but it's not worth spending $30 on a free engine when a new one wouldn't be that much more.

I think I'll get it close enough as is for my purposes, and hopefully its behavour will improve with time. Right now it's probably only had about 8 (?) tanks through it.

Oh, btw, thanks Waldo and Ghee-grose![sm=cool.gif]

Matthew
Old 06-24-2006, 05:37 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Matthew, good show on getting the Twist in the air. My first flight, after a short roll, I pulled the stick all the way back. It shot straight up and then back at me inverted. I eased up on the stick movement and had some of the most fun I'd ever had flying. Good luck on getting the SuperTiger sorted out.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Downtrodden

Yes, congratulations on getting that bird in the air, Matthew!

The "kitchen from Hell" is finished! Just like I told the wench..........10 more hours..........lenoleum too! Now why am I so happy, you ask? Cause now I can fly after I catch up on some homework!

Peace and Good Night,

Downtrodden.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Hobie

Howdy guys I finished patching the 2 other holes in the wing now I just have cover it and glue the fuse back together . I am going with yellow like the rest of the plane so I don’t have to buy 2 rolls of covering . My 1 LHS won’t have any till Wednesday the other LHS I haven’t tried yet . I flew my 4* .40 the last 2 days and took along the Twist PNP yesterday to get help tuning the Evo engine . We thought we had it tuned 3 times and 3 times it died trying to take off . It would transition OK on the stand but would die trying to take off . That’s when I decided not to press my luck and maybe have it die right after take off . A few minutes later another guy showed up who tried to help someone else with the same problem with the same Evo engine . He said they put a standard OS plug in it and the problem went away . The plug that came with it went bad after 1 tank of fuel running it in the back yard . My LHS guy told me when I got the PNP that you couldn’t use a standard plug in the Evo and he sold me a Fox plug that he said was the right size and that is the plug I had in it . I switched to an OS #8 plug and what a difference, I now had all the power I needed to get in the air with no engine stalls . Sooooo I took her up on her maiden flight and she flew great after a few clicks of left aileron . I still am going to finish the repair on my other Twist and will fly the PNP till then however I won’t try a lot of aerobatics as I don’t want to take a chance with it till after our annual fly in . Today there is a scale meet at another club not far away so I am suppose to meet my flying bud at our field here pretty soon to help him try and fly his .90 size Mustang so he can maybe fly it at the meet . He has only flown it once last year when the plug feel out of his .90 OS engine he went dead stick and had to bring her down a little hard as he was running out of field . He took out the retract landing gear and just now got around to fixing it . I am going to fly too before we go to the meet I got to take that PNP back up cause I only flew it once yesterday on a short flight . I hope that plug was all that was wrong and it runs as good as yesterday and starts again with just a flip .
Old 06-25-2006, 08:56 AM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear you got the Evo sorted out Hobie. I finally quit using expensive plugs for breaking in an engine. I had too many fail either during the run-in or soon after. I've read here at RCU that tiny particles of aluminum can melt into the hot platinum coil, ruining the plug.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Alright Matt, Its nice to hear of a good running plane after problems delay such fun.

Hobie,, Now don't you feel great after fixing your twist, welcome to the builders club, I almost feel as Satisfied as if I built it.. Good show laddie....

I know you know it Blue, the OS 70 in the Twist is a combo you just can't let go of, things might be a little harder to do with the extra weight, but its like anything, practice and let it rip. I wouldn't put anything else in the Twist now that I have experienced it. Just raw power when you need it and she can float in harrier mode like a Trainer, I like it anyway...

JACK!!!! Not to insult any Saito people out there,, I HAVE NOT AND NEVER WILL OWN A SAITO, 2 friends of mine have Saito 4 strokes, and they actually run very well,, HA HAAH AHAHA HA HA HA HA HA HAAH AH HA HAH AHH AHA HA AHAHAH AH AH AHAH AH AH AHAH AA HA H AHAHAHA AH A HA A HAHAH H HA HA HAAH sorry,

They do run okay once you get them going. but let me tell you how many times the OS 70 4 stroke has been flying over the heads of saito motor planes at our field, its very disturbing to hear saito owners turning over the engines waiting for them to fire while your in the air 3 or 4 times in an hour, and the language,,, the language I say is not fitting for the young modelers ears.

Long story Short I live and breathe OS MAX, when I go to the field the only thing I want delaying me from take off is my own stupidity, OS MAX,,, Put the glow plug on, couple o flips,, your flying,, everytime !!!! Maybe they'll give me a free 1.20AX motor now for the nice advertisement I just gave them... not that I can fly in all this rain,, but better days are coming... they just have to,,, they do....

Congrats on the remodeling job DT,, I hope you got rid of that iron tub too....
Old 06-25-2006, 12:00 PM
akschu
My Feedback: (5)

Well, I crashed last night. I had a dead stick at the complete wrong time. I fly over some short 20-30 foot trees and while I was doing an inverted long dive the engine quit. I have my CG pretty far back so the only thing I could do was pull back on the stick and try to get it back over the runway before I ran out of alt. I did get it out of the trees but it did a semi flat pancake really hard. The spinner, prop, and wing made it fine, the only damage was the fuse split in half again, though not in the same place as last time. I already have it glued together so a little covering and it will be ready to fly again.

Now I need to figure out why it deadsticked. I may have my idle a touch lean, but I was using high idle at the time, also the engine fired right up and ran normal when I was investigating after the crash. I didn't notice any hesitation, it sounded like it just ran out of fuel though I had plenty in the tank. I'll have to check my tank and clunk and make sure everything is fine.

I'm glad this airplane is simple and easy to fix, I may have to buy another one once this one breaks 8lbs.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:01 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

akschu,
what kind of fuel are your using? sounds like she got too hot and shut off.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:31 PM
perkinsm

Hi Everyone - Well, after flying a UCD 46 for a few seasons, I put together a Twist with a Saito 72, after flying of of my buddies a few times.

This thing is a blast !!!! Maidened it today and put 6 flights on her. I'll be keeping up with this thread. Has anyone done any Mods that they felt helped performance?

Old 06-25-2006, 09:18 PM
PropHanging

No real mods to speak of, other than sullivan tail wheel(highly recommended). Though, if you ask Jack, he'll probably tell you to talk real sweet-like to it the night before going to the field.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Downtrodden

Welcome to the forum Perkinsm, you'll have a ball with that plane!

Peace,

Downtrodden.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:35 PM
ghee-grose

Yeah, welcome to the addiction!!!! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 06-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Ahh another soon to be if not already Twistoholic.... Welcome aboard,
Old 06-26-2006, 12:26 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on Twist number two; the first one had an unexected impact with the ground when I was trying to show off by doing a knife-edge five feet off the deck. I bought another one the next day. I'm running an OS .70 4 stroke. This plane is a blast to fly. I haven't modified mine at all but I have considered addressing the single wing dowel and bolt.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:06 AM
perkinsm

Thanks everyone,,, I attached a pic, and I have since gone to a 12X3.75 APC. I'll be stayin in touch with this thread.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50659.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	482921  
Old 06-26-2006, 07:07 AM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Perkinsm,

Glad to have another Twist pilot keeping up with this this thread. You will love this little plane.

Adam
Old 06-26-2006, 08:13 AM
delman

With a saito 72 you will do better using a 13x6 prop - the 12.25 x 3.75 is used more on the 46/50 2 strokes.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:30 AM
thebluemax

I agree with delman. I had the same prop on my OS-70. Did not like the way it ran. So I changed it to a 13 x 4W.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Try the 14 x 4 with the OS 70, you'll love it,, and for some real speed go 12 x 8,, you'll love that too,, go Sick
Old 06-26-2006, 11:57 AM
stang67_289

I've got a question about my Twist, when i pull all the way back on the elevators the plane will flip around fine about half way,stall for a second, then finish the loop. Is my CG off. or is it something else. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.... Thanks
Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 PM
akschu
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: thebluemax

akschu,
what kind of fuel are your using? sounds like she got too hot and shut off.
On a ringed engine? I'm sure it was a little lean at idle (wide open was 200 rpm below peak) but I don't know how a ringed engine could overheat and seize at idle.

Anyway, I'm using omega 15% so there is come caster in the fuel.

Perhaps I'll tear down the engine and look at the piston, that will tell me if it over heated or not.

schu
Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 PM
thebluemax

Akschu,
I was asking because I have a ringed Super Tigre .61 and I would be flying for 10 minutes and then she would go dead stick and I would bring her in. I always thought I was out of fuel. Well here I come to find out I still had half a tank of fuel.

She was on the rich side so it wasn't going lean. It sems that the engine was just getting too hot and shutting down. I have since changed fuel and have not had the problem since. I can get close to 20-25 minutes and when she comes in dead stick now it is because she is empty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.