Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Vectorflight Edge 540 build

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Vectorflight Edge 540 build

Old 12-29-2004, 05:20 PM
ez2bgman
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vectorflight Edge 540 build

Well Guys,

My VF Edge FINALLY arrived after more than 6 weeks. I anxiously opened the BIG box and started inspecting the plane. Man are these planes put together well. The covering is flawless, not one wrinkle anywhere. Most of the hardware appears to be excellant quality. But as usual I will be replacing some of it. I have a Sig tail wheel assembly (the leaf spring type) that will replace the factory unit. I will be using Dubro Heavy Duty adjustable control horns. I also bought a Slimline Excel Fueler for refueling. I am have a Dubro Heavy Duty pull pull setup that I may install. I have to look at the factory setup first. I am also tossing those tiny foam main wheels and I will be using some H9 Prolites 2.75" that I had laying around.

On a slightly down side, a corner on the belly pan was broken off and there is a small hole in one of the elevator halves. I shot Chuck, at VF, an e-mail and a couple pics of the parts. Hopefully they can get me out some new ones by next week so that I can go flying by next weekend.

Here are some pics of the Edge as it came out of the box. I will update this thread as I build the Edge over the next week or so. I like to take my time and I try to ensure that everything is 100% before I put any of my planes up. Besides I still have to finsh breaking in that monster Saito 120 GK.

Gotta go build. Talk to you guys later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27190.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	208002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88796.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	208003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13516.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	208004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm31206.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	208005  
Old 12-29-2004, 05:44 PM
IShootSharpStix

Default RE: Vectorflight Edge 540 build

Glad to see it finally came. I was equally impressed with my Extra. Looking forward to your updates....
Old 12-29-2004, 08:19 PM
aaron2874

Have you taken a close look at how the fuse is built? They really did it up nice. No skimping on the glues and the joints are very nice. I pancaked mine in the ground pretty hard. Tore out the main gear and busted my cowl. NO OTHER DAMAGE. Here is a pic I shot right after my crash (engine failure induced by cranial-rectal inversion). This is a true testament to the quality of these models.

Name:	Zx71173.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	208074  
Old 12-29-2004, 10:13 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

IM also glad to see it come for you. After reading all your previous posts on the edge you were getting pretty antsy. I was going to build a thread but i got way to involved building the plane. Running into some minor issues.
how are you going to mount your motor? inverted?
Old 12-30-2004, 12:39 AM
ez2bgman

Thanks for the support guys. You guys almost feel like an extended family to me .

The build is going good. I am really taking my time to ensure everything is PERRRRRRRFECT. I finished the wing joiners (phew). They are a bit more dificult than your average wing. Plus the instructions leave a lot to be desired, but they are adequate. One problem I had was that the balsa spars between the joiners in the wing seem to wide. After gluing the right wing joiner to the center joiner and allowing sufficient time to cure, I proceeded to dry fit it in the wing. The balsa spar was seperating the right joiners from the center joiners. My clamps didn't seem to hold it tight enough, so I drilled a 1/8" hole close to the wing. I then temporarily installed a machine screw and nut and really cranked down on them. I then set it aside. After about another hour or so of messing with the engine mount (more on it later) I removed the screw and nut and everything seems fine now.

Rcfury, I installed the engine mount inverted. I am using a big ***** Saito 120 and it would look ridiculous with 1/3 of the motor sticking out the side. Instead of using two of the existing screw holes and redrilling the other two, I wanted my motor to sit perfectly level. I ended up using only one of the existing screw holes and popped out the other three blind nuts and redrilled them. I really took my time here. I used two levels, one on the engine mount and the other on the fuselage where the belly pan goes (the plane was inverted on my stand to make it more stable). It took a little bit longer, but the end result speaks for itself. I also added two washers under the engine mount on the top left and bottm left to add the recommended 2 degrees of right thrust.

After further inspection, I am going to go ahead and stick with the factory pushrods for the rudder. If I am unhappy with the performance of the rudder after I fly it, then I will convert it to pull pull.

aaron, I agree the fuselage is virtually a work of art. I almost feel guilty cutting and drilling into it [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]. Actually, other than some of the plastic pieces (mainly the cheesy wheel pants [:-]), the entire plane is absolutely gorgeous.

Here are a few more pics. Until tomorrow, happy flying.

Name:	Db86543.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	208200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77925.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	208201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97090.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	208202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99480.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	208203  
Old 12-30-2004, 01:38 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Gosh you build fast... The point you are on now its been almost 3 weeks for me.. Ok i havn't worked on it every night. I usually work on the plane for a couple of hours. Half of the time is spent at the LHS getting parts.
Pretty soon your going to be at the throttle linkage. If i might add that put 2 strips of 1/8" X .5" bass strips on the fuse where the ledge is. That will hold your throttle servo very securely. That puts the push rod perfectly inline with the carb for a very smooth operation. (you know how long i spent trying to figure that out?) dont even ask. Take my pain for your pleasure.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:33 AM
ez2bgman

Rcfury,

Due to the excitement of finally receiving my plane, I couldn't sleep. Can you guess what I did? Ok, ok I'll tell you... I went back out to my workshop and continued building.

Now I have the h-stab and v-stab in place. I installed the Sig Tailwheel assembly. That took some created engineering, especially mounting the control horn on the rudder for the tailwheel. The rudder was almost twice as wide as the control horn. But after some very careful trimming, sanding, and shaping I finally got the control horn on the rudder. The best part, the control horn is almost completely flush mounted in the rudder. It looks great, almost like it came that way.

I also drilled the mounting holes in the engine mount for the Saito 120. But I don't have any screws (DOH !!). That's ok. I have to return something to the LHS anyway, so I guess I'll be picking up a few extra things as well as the screws.

I'll post more pics tomorrow (errrrr later today). Good luck with the build and if you have any questions please ask. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Gary, Glad to hear you finally got your plane and the build is going very nicely. Excellent work on the mount as well. Keep posting those pics! BTW, did you have any gap where the trailing edge meets the fuse? My first wing set had about 1/4" or better on either side. I am about to start on my new wing set (don't ask what happend to the first. [:-] ), and I want to make sure I don't end up with another gap.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:22 AM
ez2bgman

Hey Primodus,

You gotta tell me what happened to your first wing set [sm=bananahead.gif].

I have absolutely no gap on either side. Check out the pic below of my wing-fuselage gap.

I will be posting more pics in a bit. Gotta hit the LHS for a few misc. supplies. Talk to you guys later.

Name:	Ig13772.jpg
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	208346  
Old 12-30-2004, 11:00 PM
ez2bgman

Here's another update,

I got quite a bit accomplished today.

The tail group is finished except for installing the control horns on the elevator and rudder. I am real pleased with the Sig tailwheel assembly that I installed instead of the factory unit. Both the elevator and rudder are also hinged. I went with some H9 CA hinges that I had available instead of the stock blue ones. I also put 3 CA hinges in each elevator half instead of the recommended two. I like the added security that the additional hinge provides. It will also help prevent flutter.

The motor is installed and all the fuel lines are ran. I bought and assembled a Dubro 16 oz. tank. The extra 2 ounces is necessary for the thirsty Saito 120. There is one very important aspect I forgot on the motor. I neglected to put on the muffler before I mounted the engine (DOH !!) . Now I have to take the Saito off in order to put the muffler on. I tried several times to get it on, but was unsuccessful.

The remote glow driver and fuel filler are also installed. As you can see in the pics, I made my own mounts and epoxied the mounts to the firewall. I really like the remote glow driver I picked up. I can't remember the name brand, but it is actually made for helicopters. The part that connects to the glow plug looks very similar to the boot on spark plug wires. At first I wasn't getting any fire from the remote. I looked at again and realized that it had only one wire. I had to install a ground wire from the remote plug to the engine (no problem).

After I cleaned up for the night, I came across a brand new roll of Ultracote Checkerboard (hmmmmmmm...). Needless to say, I opened it up and began wondering where could I use it. I looked at how plain the underside of the wings were and.... I traced a template from some cardboard and cut it out. I then cut one piece. After I cleaned the wing off, I peeled the backing and layed it down. My template turned out to be a near perfect cut. I ironed it on and used the heat gun for the wrinkles. Be EXTREMELY careful if you decide to use any type of iron on film. I noticed that as I was using the heat gun to get out the wrinkle, the wing started to bubble up. I quickly stopped and used the curved side on my sanding block and smoothed it back down. If I would have thought about it, I would have ran down to the local sign shop and bought some checkerboard vinyl graphics. Oh well. At least I know now.

All that is really left for me to do now is to hinge the ailerons, install all the control horns, radio gear, fuel tank, canopy, belly pan, tail fairing, cowl, and a few other odds and ends. I would say that after 2 days, I am about 75-80% complete. It sounds like a lot, but I have put in about 20-22 hours assembly time since i received the plane yesterday afternoon. Only on 4 hours of sleep[sm=redface.gif].

Well here are the latest batch of pics. Later guys.

Name:	Bz78384.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	208573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85786.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	208574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68258.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	208575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42434.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	208576  
Old 12-31-2004, 09:03 AM
rcjon

Gary,

I'm closely following your posts as I am awaiting the arrival of my VF Edge 540.

I like your PVC plane stand, and I'm going to put one together (looking for things to do until plane comes). I want to build the stand so it fits the Edge 540 just right for working on it. How far apart should the leg assemblies be? How high should it be so the the plane will sit on it sideways and inverted with the vertical and horizontal fins installed.

I have two engines that I could install, a Saito 100 4stroke and an OS 61. Which of these do think owuld work best in the VF Edge?

Thanks and keep the posts coming.

jon
Old 12-31-2004, 09:25 AM
ez2bgman

Jon,

I can't remember the measurements of my stand, but I will get them to you this evening. The stand works great. Due to it's configuration, I can work on the plane in any orientation needed (i.e. either side, inverted, or right side up). I can also change the top and bottom tubes for larger planes if needed.

I would definitely go with the Saito 100. These planes are not light. Ther are very solidly constructed (the phrase "Built like a rock" comes to mind). You will appreciate the extra torque that the Saito has compared to the O.S. 61. The O.S. is an excellant motor, but I think you would be better off with the Saito up front. You'll also be able to swing a larger prop with the Saito.

Keep us posted on the arrival of your plane. And if you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask. If it wasn't for these forums, I would not have learned some of the things that I now know.

Unfortunately I am stuck at work today. I guess somebody has to keep us safe and help protect our freedoms. I will be posting another update later this evening after I get home and work on the plane a bit more. Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:04 AM
Primodus

Gary, have you made plans for adding tail wires? I would highly recommend them both top and bottom, especially with the extra horses of the 120 pulling it around. I attached pics of my setup. Yours is looking good so far. Like what you did with the wing bottom. And, remote glow is a sweet touch. I am still working on my homemade onboard glow driver setup.

rcjon, I also second the Saito 100 over the OS61 for this model. The 120 makes it a rocket, the 100 will be a sweet match for it, but the OS61 will be a weak powerplant for a model with this weight. This Edge finishes around 8.5-9lbs.

Name:	Qn38517.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	208683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73399.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	208684  
Old 12-31-2004, 10:44 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

I checked with vectorflight yesturday and they do recomend flying wires. Should have my 540 in about 2/3 more weeks.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:50 AM
ez2bgman

Luke,

I will be installing the tail braces sometime this weekend. I like using the airfoil-shaped hollow aluminum tubing. Thay are very light weight, yet strong enough to handle the stresses we subject our planes to. I put some on my H9 Aresti after the left h-stab decided to depart from the fuselage during it's 3rd flight. Luckily the right side stayed intact and was able to maintain control and land safely. The only damage was the wheel pants that cracked after the fast landing.

I will try to complete the bottom of the right wing this evening. I plan on doing the h-stab and elevators too, but John at VF said not to apply iron on film over the red. I am awaiting an e-mail from him an the reasons. I may just cut the red off and cover it .

Talk to you guys later.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:04 PM
Propwash in Pa

Thanks for the build. My 540 was shipped earlier this week and this will help.

John 373786
Old 12-31-2004, 12:12 PM
Primodus

Gary, did you put in some traingle stock behind the firewall to beef it up for the 120? A few pieces if 1/2" traingle in strategic places does the job well. Just trying to remember what all VF recommended to do before flying with a larger motor. I don't want to see you and your Edge in that other forum (C**SH)
Old 12-31-2004, 02:01 PM
ez2bgman

Luke,

I already added the traingle stock behind the firewall. I put four pieces behind it. One just under the top brace, one on the bottom, and one on each side. I have learned the hard way when it comes to firewalls on the majority of ARF's. Although VF's seemed more sturdy than most I have encountered, I didn't want to take any chances. I will probably end up throwing a few strips of 'glass back there too. The weight isn't a huge issue considering the Saito 120 that you and I are running.

Where did you mount your throttle servo? Can you post a couple of pics of your throttle servo? I would like it to stay in the servo tray to help out with the balance.

Thanks again for your insight.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:56 PM
ez2bgman

Luke,

I have another question. What distance did you end up with bbetween the firewall and the spinner backplate? I ended up with a 5.75" distance. Any closer and I would end p with clearance issue for the carburator arm.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2004, 09:16 PM
rcjon

Gary,

>>I can't remember the measurements of my stand, but I will get them to you this evening. The stand works great. Due to it's configuration, I can work on the plane in any orientation needed (i.e. either side, inverted, or right side up). I can also change the top and bottom tubes for larger planes if needed.<<

Thanks. Have you looked for any rubber caps for the feet? PVC pipe is the ultimate construction material. If it had been available to the Egyptians, I think the pyramids would have looked quite differently.

>>I would definitely go with the Saito 100.<<

The Saito 100 is currently in an Ultra Stick that I rarely fly. I like the S100 but I think one of the reasons I rarely fly it is because the dang thing is out of fuel in 5 minutes of flight time (10.8 oz tank) . Seems like I've hardly gotten airborne before I'm dead sticking it in. I believe you said you were putting a 16 oz tank in your VF Edge. By my proportional calculation, a 16 oz tank will give me 7.4 minutes. Does this sound right? As I'm writing this, I'm thinking that I should pull the tank from the US and see if the pick-up line has come a-loose.

>>Keep us posted on the arrival of your plane.<<

Did VF notify you when they shipped the plane? I ordered mine on 12/13 and they said it would ship by the end of the month. Well it's the end of the month isn't it?

>>Unfortunately I am stuck at work today. I guess somebody has to keep us safe and help protect our freedoms.<<

Thank you, sir.

jon
Old 12-31-2004, 11:23 PM
Primodus

Gary, here are the pics of my throttle servo placement and mounting setup. It consists of 2 blocks of 3/8" balsa mounted to the side wall and the servo mounted to the blocks. I came up with the same distance from the firewall to backplate as you have, 5.75".

Name:	Om31715.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	209053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58351.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	209054  
Old 01-01-2005, 11:46 AM
ez2bgman

Hey guys,

Sorry but I didn's get to the plane yesterday. The kids and New Year's Eve kind of took over my evening .

Jon, here are the measurements for my PVC stand. Of course you should change any of the dimensions to suit your needs. I used 3/4" PVC pipe for the entire stand. I like it's light weight and sturdiness. The 2 middle tubes are 30". The legs are 4.5". The cradle pieces are also 4.5", but you can make than any size you need to accomdate larger aircraft. I also used 4 - 45 degree elbows for the feet, 4 - T-fittings that connect the legs to the middle support tubes, 4 - x-shaped fittings that connect the lower portion to the cradle. Here are a couple of pics of the stand alone. Hope this helps.

Luke, thanks for the servo placement idea. That was one area that I was scratching my head wondering where to put it. Hopefully I will be able to get to the plane some. We are having a New Year's Day dinner later on and I know I won't be able to do anything to it then.

Until the next update....

Name:	Fd91322.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	209147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie97979.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	209148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55609.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	209149  
Old 01-01-2005, 07:37 PM
rcjon

Gary,

Thanks for the pics and measurements of the Gary Patented PVC Plane Stand. I just finished my prototype. Looks a lot like yours <g> except I added short vertical pipes on the bottom and found some rubber caps (1") that fit perfectly on the 3/4"ID PVC. I'm editing the newsletter for our club this year and I think I'll put this stand in as a tip and trick.

We are anxious for you to post some more about your VF Edge 540 construction, but you are letting things like your job and your family obligations get in the way <g>.

Happy New Year!

jon
Old 01-02-2005, 01:53 AM
ez2bgman

Alright guys,

Here's another update.

I installed the throttle, elevator, and rudder servos and the linkages for them as well. I opted to use Dubro Heavy Duty adjustable control horns insted of the factory horns for the elevator. The rudder uses the factory control horn as I didn't have another one of the Dubro units.

Because of the size of the Saito 120, the carburator control horn is extremely close to the firewall. To solve this, I used the factory control rod but used the z-bend end in the carburator arm. There is only about 3/8" clearance between the firewall and the control arm for the carburator and this necessitated the use of the z-bend on the carburator arm. The throttle servo was mounted just behind the front former and just below (or above, depending on if the plane is upright or inverted) the wing. The Saito 120's carburator arm position dictated the placement of the throttle servo. I would have much rather used the stock location, but the control rod would not be at the proper angle.

The tail braces are also completed. As stated in an earlier post, I used hollow airfoil-shaped aluminum tubing. I like the light weight, strength, and the looks that they provide. Check out the pics.

I will hopefully be able to finish the cowl tomorrow. The belly pan is all trimmed out and ready for installation. I will also be trimming the canopy tomorrow as well.

I am going to attempt to finish the checkerboard covering on the other wing/aileron and the h-stab/elevators by tomorrow evening.

Until next time, happy flying.

Name:	Db84156.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	209488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88997.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	209489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38595.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	209490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44378.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	209491  
Old 01-02-2005, 10:29 PM
ez2bgman

Yet another update, but no pics to accompany. My parents borrowed my digital camera today. I will have more pics up tomorrow, hopefully of the finished plane.

I was able to finish all the checkerboarding today. It really stands out against the rest of the plane. I checkerboarded the wings/aileron and the h-stab/elevators. I probably would have been done with the build by now if I hadn't decided to do the checkerboard. But I have to say it was well worth the effort. It makes an already gorgeous aircraft even better. I cannot wait to post some pics of the end results.

I also finished hinging the ailerons to the wings and installed the servos and contorl horns/rods.

The plane is nearing completion. I would say that I am now 90% complete. All that is really left is to cut out and install the canopy and cowl and install the belly pan and tail fairing.

Look this thread up tomorrow and hopefully I will have the plane completed.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.