Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMPro Lancair

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMPro Lancair

Old 04-18-2006, 08:20 PM
bjor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMPro Lancair

Hi Todd,
I have the CG set between the manufactures guideline - 72 and 78 mm from leading edge and about 60 MM from fuse - though the distance specified from the fuse is not mentioned in the instruction sheet. I have set the CG at 75 mm, tested with the plane upside down, and drooping at the nose (tank empty) by about 15 degrees. I have also used the throws as suggested by tIANci above as these worked fine. You are right about the cross over on the pull - pull rudder - your eyes are obviously better than mine. I was thinking of changing it back but it means setting up the front wheel again so I'll leave it. Have you ever had an issues with crossed over wire on Pull Pull cables, I was wondering if the potential was there for stay wire barbs to snag the system. Brad
Old 04-18-2006, 08:40 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say NEVER have and metal to metal contact....it could cause a radio glitch. Capt,n[:-]
Old 04-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The cross over pull pull set up allows the non-pulling cable to slack slightly, but it is not a problem. The two cables may touch which could cause interferance if there is a lot of vibration, in my case with an electric I'm not worried. I would leave yours the way you have it, which may be better anyway as long as you were able to get a clean exit from the fuse. I set my CG at 73mm at the wing root, but keep in mind that is with the battery installed. There is no fuel to add in the nose of the plane. I'm hoping it will work fine, since I like where everything ended up.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:48 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the cables are plastic coated, there is no metal-to-metal contact. No problem with stay-wire-barbs either. Unless maybe the bend you will need at the fuselage exit for the un-crossed system wears the plastic off and causes the cables to fray.

Jim

Old 04-20-2006, 12:22 AM
bjor

Here are some pics of my beast I added the red solarfilm to the bottom of the wings to make it easier to see in flight. I've also removed the front wheel pants to make grass take off's / landings easier. The interior is spacious so playing with the CG is easy especially with my battery pack covered in Velcro. I placed a Rx battery monitor / indicator in the cockpit for easy viewing prior to each flight. The cockpit layout was printed from the net and printed onto photo paper and glued in place. The only thing i would have done was to fit a remote glow plug - no need for a whopping bit hole in the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42016.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	448146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73592.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	448147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55363.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	448148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37898.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	448149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc40406.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	448150  
Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Finally got my electric Lancair flying. My early flights were not too fun, since I set the CG at about 72mm. Keep in mind that I have no fuel to add into the nose, so it ended up being quite tail heavy. I repositioned my battery and ended up at about 67mm. The plane now flys excellent, and is everything I hoped it would be. It is very fast and climbs like a rocket. The plane is not light, but lands fine with a bit of speed on a hard surface runway. Full throttle is not needed often, and I can get about 10 minutes of sporty flying using a 5-cell 3700 mah Li-po. The 4120/14 AXI outrunner pulls the APC 12X8E prop at over 10,000 rpm static. I removed the front wheel pant after a couple of rough landings due to the rearward CG, but it is back on now. Here are a couple of photos.

Name:	Pn35935.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	465039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93365.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	465040  
Old 05-23-2006, 06:54 AM
joee75

Hi everyone,
I am still new to this hobby and am wanting to know how reliable are the fibreglass hinges which are supplied with this kit? I am only familiar with the usual style pinned hinge and if you can give me any tips with the fibreglass hinges as far as the best way to install them would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:07 AM
dgliderguy

Joee75,

First, the supplied hinges are not fiberglass. They are a thin polymer plastic that has been surface-impregnated with poly fibers (hair) for absorbing CA glue. They are colloquially called "CA hinges", and they are the best thing to happen to this hobby since the invention of CA glue. Throw away all your pinned hinges. You won't be needing them anymore.

Second, DO NOT use the supplied hinges with this kit. The instructions include a blurb that they are intended for "display only" (meaning somebody goofed in the Materiel Dept. and got the wrong gage thickness). IOW, they are way too thick to work well. Keep them for future use, such as reinforcement for screws in fiberglass, etc. Go to your LHS and get the Great Planes CA hinges: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK110&P=ML

You will find that CA hinges are far easier to install than pinned hinges, as there is no hinge line to get glue gunked in there. Just cut slots for the hinges, drill a hole in the middle of the slot width that will allow the CA glue to flood the slot once the hinges are in place, and then assemble the hinges and control surfaces dry. Close the gap between the control surface and the parent surface, then actuate the control surface through its range of movement to establish a clearance gap. Then just run some dribbly CA glue (aka, instant CA) in the hinge and wait a few moments while the glue cures. Done. No possibility of misalignment or binding, since the hingelines are 'blind', and they can hold up to any amount of abuse. Great concept, IMO.

My Lancair is almost ready for its maiden flight, will happen this weekend. Yeah, baby!

Don.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:51 AM
joee75

Thanks for the info dgliderguy, good luck with your Lancair!!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:02 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Todd - Nice to see the plane go EP. I am in an EP fever and bought like 4 good motors. My 4130 has gone into a WM Super Chipmunk as my 1st glow conversion, I am loving it. I think your set up has got gobs of power, I mean over 10K RPM is good stuff. I got a 4120/18 and it will go 6S with your specs I think I will be ok on 6S set up. What is the AUW of your plane?

CA hinges really need to be rough with a lot of fibre. Its really best to get better ones, if the hinge feels a little plasticky then replace it. I have seen some cheap CA hinges come off when the surface was knocked.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Turk1

I also recommend to pin the hinges at both surface for safety.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I'd say my all up weight is about 6.2 lbs. I thought the 4120/14 was a better match for this plane than the /18, since I could use 4 or 5 cells instead of 6 or more and spin a 12X8 prop instead of something that has more diameter than I need. If you build this plane with EP, make sure you run the CG farther forward than the plans suggest.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:08 PM
dgliderguy

Hot Rod Todd,

My Lancair is all done, ready for the maiden this weekend. AUW is right at 6.25lbs, with an OS46FX in the nose.

My CG is too forward right now, and I'm planning on installing the battery pack on the floor of the aft fuselage section, in order to hit the specified CG point of 75mm back from the wing leading edge. You say you had to move your CG forward, to 67mm?? It looks too far forward to me at 75mm! You're sure about this setting?

Don.

Name:	Db84294.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	466420  
Old 05-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Hot Rod Todd

I am sure, but that is with an electric aircraft. There is no fuel in the nose, that setting is with the battery installed vs. an empty fuel tank in your case. I have quite a few CMP aircraft though, and it seems that the recommended CG settings are always too far back. I'd try to get your CG in the 72-73 range if you could. For a CMP plane it is a very good idea to do the maiden flight on the very FRONT of the recommendation. You can always move it back if you have to. As for what it looks like, keep in mind the wing has a fairly narrow cord compared to most aircraft.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:58 PM
dgliderguy

Okay, thanks, 72mm then. I'll let you know how it goes after the maiden flight on Sunday.

In the meantime, I will run a quick calc on the %MAC at that setting, just for grins.

Don.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:04 AM
dgliderguy

Hot Rod Todd,

You speak truth, kemosabe. I ran the numbers tonight, and 72mm corresponds with a 30%MAC balance point, which is about where you would want it in most cases. In addition, the Lancair has a symmetrical airfoil, with no pitch moment, so you might want the CG even a bit forward of that, assuming a zero-zero decalage setting. Your 67mm is making more and more sense to me.

I installed my battery pack back behind the trailing edge of the wing, on the fuselage floor, and my CG is right at 72mm now. I think I'll try that, and see how it goes. Should be close enough for starters, anyway. It still sits pretty solid on the nosewheel, so the mains are plenty rearward on this model. I'm betting you really have to rotate to get it to unstick on the take-off.

Don.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:25 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hot Rod Todd

I'd say my all up weight is about 6.2 lbs. I thought the 4120/14 was a better match for this plane than the /18, since I could use 4 or 5 cells instead of 6 or more and spin a 12X8 prop instead of something that has more diameter than I need. If you build this plane with EP, make sure you run the CG farther forward than the plans suggest.
You are correct to get the 4120/14 and not the 18. For me I am not keen to run a 4/5S set up as I am keeping everything to 3s.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I think I know where your coming from. It was a bit painfull shelling out the money to get an AstroFlight charger that could handle the high current 4S and 5S cells.

Don Glider Guy: I have no problem rotating on take off. Of course the power set up I have has outstanding excelleration. In any case, this is not a plane you want to jump into the air, give it plenty of speed prior to pulling up. You might want to have a bit of down elevator trimmed in from the start, if it's like mine it will want to climb. Good luck with your maiden flight.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:28 PM
dgliderguy

I flew my Lancair today, and man, am I IMPRESSED!!! Wadda NICE plane. Fast, smooth, very scale looking. The guys all had that "covet" look on their faces. The nose strut was a bit too soft, as it got bent on my last landing, when I rolled off into the grass on the side of the runway, but other than that, no complaints.

BTW, the CG was nearly perfect, at 72mm. Maybe just a bit aft of perfect, but pretty dang close.

This plane is a lot of bang for the buck, is all I can say. CMPro has a winner with this one.

Don.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Glad to hear your maiden went well. I know what you mean about the nose strut. I'm always bending mine back. If I had to land on grass I don't think it would hold up for long at all. I need to find a sturdier one. It needs some speed on landing, so I'm sure the nose wire will take a beating over time.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:32 PM
dgliderguy

Hot Rod,

Yeah, the betch of it is that the nose strut fairing is epoxy-glued to the wheelpant, so in order to swap out the nosewheel strut, some surgery is required. Oh, well, if that's my only complaint on this kit, I should be all smiles. I'll get something in there that will hold up better, and then fly like she meant it. Sure is a nice model, beyond this one minor hitch.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:47 AM
hosam
My Feedback: (121)

I am finishing the 61.5" WS Lancair, this one is the bigger sister then most I see on this form. Tower Hobbies 75 engine on the nose and hope to maiden it this weekend. If it flys any thing like the smaller one I will be very happy...
Old 07-20-2006, 12:26 PM
windsurf1

Hi guys,
Ive just purchased my CMPro Lancair and am looking for a bit of help! ive built a few ARTFs before but this one looks a bit more involved than what i have done. I have looked at instructions and noticed the section about the thrust angle and was wondering if i have to adjust this myself to the correct pitch or whether i just mount the engine and leave it? If i do have to adjust it, how do i go about it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and i thank all you in advance, even though i will probably be asking more advise with this model!!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Hot Rod Todd

You should have no problem, just mount the engine and fly it. The thrust is already in the firewall as far as I know. I made mine electric, so maybe someone who did a glow install could give you more info.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Hi there,

The quality that comes from China nowadays is quite amazing!!! I would LOVE to tour one of these factories one of these days. Wow!!!!! DP

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.