Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 03:04 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow! That is light!

Hey BadBill, as has been discussed earlier, it sounds like there might be some really light airframes out there. If you had my airframe and your equipment your plane would weigh a minimum of 1/2 lb more than it does. If you're not using 1 oz servos, then you can add to that. Or you can look at it the other way, and if I had one of the light airframes mine would be at about 4 lbs 2oz, which would probably give it all the vertical it needs with the GP 42. Wanna trade? :-)

Bill
Old 08-21-2003, 11:07 AM
dsagot
My Feedback: (2)

Default funtana 4 sale

i have a funtana 4 sale : flying with a ys63. i have about 25flights on her. also have a spare cowl. re-enforced wing dowels. asking 150.00 for the airframe. philadelphia or tri-state area only. will not ship.

david
Old 08-21-2003, 02:58 PM
BadBill
My Feedback: (89)

Default Re: Wow! That is light!

Originally posted by bpryor
Hey BadBill, as has been discussed earlier, it sounds like there might be some really light airframes out there. If you had my airframe and your equipment your plane would weigh a minimum of 1/2 lb more than it does. If you're not using 1 oz servos, then you can add to that. Or you can look at it the other way, and if I had one of the light airframes mine would be at about 4 lbs 2oz, which would probably give it all the vertical it needs with the GP 42. Wanna trade? :-)

Bill
Wellllllllll... Lets wait till after the first flight and maybe I'll trade then I have a TT .42 on a Pizza box and it barely has enough guts to hover that, I think I'll pass on that !
Old 08-21-2003, 11:03 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Default H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

I built mine using an OS 70
Stock hardware, stock build
A mix of servos, no light ones

All-up weight 5lbs 12.2 oz (very accurate scale)

The plane flew very well, no snapping. I didn't fly it much because of weather.
Before I tried it again, I made a few changes.

Saito 91 (1/2 ounce lighter than OS 70) triple beam balance scale.

Fiber-lite gear, http://www.fiber-lite.com/

some much lighter wheels that I had laying around.

Titanium axles. http://www.pspmfg.com/Titanium Axles.html

All up weight 5lbs 9.0 oz.

This plane came from a certain mail order firm and it was crushed.
Horizon came through for me and sent another fuselage right out.

Well this one was broken at the tail section, but I opted to fix it rather than wait another week.
Yes I know, Bill Pryor, I probably added another ounce or two..

I only got to put it in the air for about 5 min. today running very rich it was awesome.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:15 PM
squareloop
My Feedback: (1)

Default Funtana set-up article at Horizon

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/articles/1231.asp
Old 08-21-2003, 11:16 PM
Redwings

Default H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

I finished mine last weekend and currently have seven flights on it and it is sweet. Fly's straight and true. I have a Magnum 80 four stroke on it and it goes vertical. A guy at our club who is one of the best I have seen flew it and di 3d all with it and no problem.
The only problem I have is that I used futaba 3004 servo's and I stripped the aileron servo gears. I ordered Hitec metal gear servos to replace the others.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:21 PM
bpryor

Default Awww, what's an ounce or two.....

Hi jemo,

That's great to hear you got it done and flying. I'm sorry you got another damaged one. What luck.....and I really wasn't going to say anything...honest.

I've actually changed my mind on the Saito .91. I still agree with the choice and I have one sitting here and I have Tom's CF gear on now, but I just can't bring myself to re-cut the cowl, remove the pull-pull setup, and do all the engineering necessary to shoe-horn it into this plane.....so, I'm a traitor and picked up a used OS .46 FX off of eBay and I'm going to drop that in. A big part of the motivation to do this was not all the work to conver to the Saito, but I really like the way it flies and I want to add as little weight to it as possible. It should come in right at 5lbs or a little under with the .46.

Let us know how the second flight goes.

Bill
Old 08-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Ernie Misner

Squareloop, that is an interesting like to the Horizon site with Funtana setup and all......

My question: why do some folks mix in flaperons (elevator up, ailerons down) and others, more recently, mix in spoilerons? (elevator up, ailerons up)

The control line guys always go with flaperons for making "square corners" don't they??

Ernie
Old 08-22-2003, 07:22 PM
Dug89

That has been bothering me too recently. I think that flaperons (aileron down with elevator up) will increase lift while inducing up pitch. This causes the plane to pitch up and rise quickly. Makking for fast climbs.

In spoilerons, (up ailerons and up elevator) causes the plane to pitch up but loose lift so the plane does not climb. This is a "Wall" maneuver where the plane points up but does not increase altitude (until you apply power).

So you need to choose one or the other based on the maneuver. I think all the neat 3D stuff uses spoilerons.

Am I close or way off here?
Old 08-22-2003, 07:26 PM
NM_Mark
My Feedback: (8)

The spoilerons help reduce the wing rock when doing harriers, and high alpha stuff. Spoilerons help with balloning on landing as well...although some expo on the elevator helped more on mine...

Mark
Old 08-22-2003, 07:27 PM
bpryor

Default Spoilerons? Flaperons?

Hi Ernie,

>>why do some folks mix in flaperons (elevator up, ailerons down) and others, more recently, mix in spoilerons? (elevator up, ailerons up)

When people are using flaperons they are actually doing the exact opposite of what you want in a 3D maneuver. Flaperons help keep the wing flying at slower speeds, while when doing 3D maneuvers you are flying with the wing stalled, so the last thing you'd want is flaperons.

People flying 3D mix in spoilerons to alter a flight condition to make the wing behave differently in a stall, such as used in the article on the Funtana, which BTW was a very interesting article, especially the snap spoilerons. I've used spoilerons a bunch, but haven't ever set them up on a curve. I have typically just used a separate condition I switch on when I need spoilerons. Guess what I'm doing before the next flight?

Bill
Old 08-22-2003, 07:40 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

I have snap spoilerons set up, I hope to try them next time out.

It looks interesting. Because they are setup to only come on when the elevator stick is near max travel.

You can still fly with the mix switched on and it will not affect the low rate because the travel never reaches that point.

It doesn't affect the high rate either until you pull or push the stick all the way.

I have them set to go 100% but don't know yet if that will be good or bad.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:35 PM
squareloop

Default Spoilerons or Flaperons

Yes, it depends on the manuever. But it's strange how what works for one plane will not always work for another.

The way I see it, spoilerons allow the wing to fly at a higher angle of attack... kinda like washout where at the tips of a wing, the trailing edge is higher than the leading edge. I like to use spoilerons for elevators, parachutes, walls and dial it in if I need to dump lift on a floater when landing.

Flaperons help in tighter looping manuevers and stuff like waterfalls.

I never thought of putting either of the 'rons on a curve per the article...great idea. Still gotta assign a switch to the other 'ron though.

I'm so frustrated...I've had the Funtana for 6 weeks and haven't been able to fly it yet. I herniated 2 cervical disks at work and haven't been able to tilt my head back without shooting pain in my left arm. Getting better though. Been building other people's planes in the meantime as well as perusing RCUniverse of course!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:09 PM
bpryor

Default Flaperons, etc.

Hi squareloop,

I'm sorry to hear about your back. It's a good thing you can still type.

>>Flaperons help in tighter looping manuevers and stuff like waterfalls.

I've never used flaperons on any 3D maneuver, but I'm certainly not an expert. I was confused in another post in one of the many threads when someone said they were using flaperons for waterfalls. It seems to me that if you're using flaperons during waterfalls, you're not really doing a waterfall, but a bunch of descending tiny loops. In a waterfall the wing should be fully stalled and the plane is actually pivoting around the center of gravity, not flying. It seems to me that flaperons during a waterfall would interfere with performing the maneuver.

I'm certainly open to be proven wrong on this, but that's my understanding of what's going on.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:42 PM
jryals

Phill just read your post. See you got one to I,ve had mine now for a month now and have been through 2 engines a TT46 pro and now I,ve got a YS45 on it and still dont have the power to hover. It does fly great but not after I midaired with Todd. Got a good fuze but the wing busted on the tip to about 1/4 of the way in. Hope to see you down Waco way someday. Come vist us when you can Jerry
Old 08-22-2003, 11:05 PM
bpryor

Default Weight?

Hi Jerry,

What does your plane weigh with the YS45....and what prop are you running?

Thanks.

Bill
Old 08-22-2003, 11:50 PM
squareloop

BPryor: Hmmm...I guess it wasn't a waterfall after all I never have been able to do the classic waterfall where it decends...yet. My thinking is that with flaperons, the propblast against the up ailerons pushes the the front of the plane down; while the blast on the down elevator simultaneously pushes the tail up.

re: KE
I haven't looked back into the thread yet but where some people weren't able to KE Loop, less KE. I'm wondering if blowback is caused at the servo mount(?). If you notice, the fore of the tail servos is not supported by any formers or anything. I glued in a couple of 1/4" sticks in the area mentioned and it's rock solid now. Just a thought.

re: back injury
A couple of friends let me have the sticks and I couldn't even last 5 minutes. But man it hurt sooooo gooood! Everybody says to just fly further out like about 1000 yds so I don't have to move my head at all...funny people at my field!
Old 08-22-2003, 11:59 PM
ChuckRoast

http://www.wingbags.com/funtana.jpghttp://www.wingbags.com/funtana.jpg

OH CRAP I CAN'T figure this rcu U thing out !!!!!!
Old 08-23-2003, 12:22 AM
bpryor

Default Stuff

Hi Propblast,

re: KE

Interesting theory. My rudder servo is 89 oz on pull-pull mounted in the center of the fuse and it doesn't KE well at all, even with the CG at 6 1/4". As per a previous post, my theory was possibly lack of prop blast due to my tiny prop (11X4), and TT2 theorized that in the planes that won't KE well blowback is occuring due to insufficient servo power....but I would think mine has enough. I intend to look for blowback the next time I fly, but I'm in the middle of mods so it might be awhile.

....I think that's a great idea. Just strap on a set of binoculars and you're set.

Bill
Old 08-23-2003, 01:09 AM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Flights 6.7 &8 today. Awsome airplane. Will knife edge loop to the right but not to the left. After reading Mike McConville's article about snap spoilerons I almost worked up the nerve to try them but --- no. Found that it will do absolutely square corners on high rate Elevator with no snap tendencies. I can get myself in trouble with this one. Using YS .63 with 12x7 APC. Tried the 13x4W but didn't like the acelleration.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:15 AM
squareloop

Default KE issues

Originally posted by Capt G
Awsome airplane. Will knife edge loop to the right but not to the left.
Interesting. Assuming you have the rudder servo on the left (per instructions) and your talking about KEdging with the canopy toward you...blowback or control rod flex would be more pronounced when KEdging to the left (right rudder) since the surface is "pushing" against the servo/components (?).

CaptG, try this: power on your turn on your plane and radio (don't forget to extend the antenna some); give right rudder; and put some pressure on the rudder with your hand simulating wind pushing on the rudder. Does the rod flex? Does the front of the servo flex into the fuse? ... I would do this test myself but I already beefed up the forward part of the servo mounts on mine and they are now solid. I haven't been able to maiden this thing for almost a month and a half! Just a theory.

BTW, I have a 63 on mine too. I wish there was room to mount the tank on the CG though. Man reading about and not being able to fly my Funtana is killing me!!!
Old 08-23-2003, 04:21 AM
jryals

It weighed 5lbs 3oz with a APC 11/4 prop any bigger I got worse performst. I have stander servos and used all the hardware but the push rods there I used 4/40 all thread with bolt on swivle links hope that helps Jerry
Old 08-23-2003, 04:41 AM
bpryor

Default Weight

Thanks Jerry, that's good data to have. I'm switching from a GP 42 with mousse can to a OS 46 FX (with the same can). I actually have pretty good vertical with this combo, but not enough for "comfortable" hovering. I'm not very good at it and need a lot of reserve. The current setup requires about 7/8 throttle to hover, which means I have basically no reserve....and it's really hard to hover at 100 ft. :-)

I'll probably come out about 4 oz lighter than you with the 46 including going to extreme lengths to lighten it. I must have gotten a heavy version of this plane as it seems I'm heavier(relatively) than most. Oh well, I'll let you know what luck I have with this combo.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:11 AM
Ground Zero-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I just finished mine this evening....what a fast build! 2 nights and its done. usually it is 2 weeks. I used the stock hardware for once (except for 'z' bends on the linkages), didn't look to bad, Futaba 3305's, Saito 72, Cline regulator (had an extra laying around) and a TT spinner. All together with a finished weight of 5lbs 10oz. Hope to maiden tomorrow, weather and work permitting.

Mike
Old 08-23-2003, 12:16 PM
therotund1

Originally posted by squareloop
A couple of friends let me have the sticks and I couldn't even last 5 minutes. But man it hurt sooooo gooood! Everybody says to just fly further out like about 1000 yds so I don't have to move my head at all...funny people at my field!
I know about back injuries. They suck bigtime! I hope you get better soon.

The people at your field are not being that funny. I have a suggestion given in all sincerity. Get one of those webbed chaise(sp) lounge lawn furniture things. You can elevate the backrest to the most comfortable position and FLY!FLY! FLY! This is with the assumption that you can look down alright for take off and landing.

As the safety officer at my field, you didn't hear that from me...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.