Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

planes and parts

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

planes and parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:46 PM
warrath blacktiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planes and parts

[>:]hi guys i have been looking for some help on my plane i got it 12 or 15years ago and couple of engines and a controler at a flea market.
at the time i thought it be real easy to put together and fly.
but it needs parts.
and i need info like what size engine to put into a plane with a 6'9 foot wing span and what type controler i should use the 1 i got looks like a futoba 6 channel i think thats how you say it.
and the 2 engines i got i think are to big and are home made.
so i am hopeing in the next few weeks or so you can hlep me out .
with either web sites or something i will try and post more details about my plane and stuff as soon as i can have to use the libary computers for internet service and dont get to the libary often so bare with me if i dont reply very fast.
at the moment all i have is measurements of the plane and the wings and a not so great dig camera to take photos of it but i will try to post those soon thank for any help you can give me.

signed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!![X(]
Old 04-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Missileman

Default RE: planes and parts

Not enough information to give you any recommendations.
We need to know what airplane, ie.. trainer, sport, scale ect...
Wingspan vs engine size is much different from a trainer to a scale warbird. Example: 80" wingspan trainer can fly on a .46 size (7.5cc) 2 stroke glow engine. 80" wingspan P-51 you are looking at about a 50cc gas engine. Huge difference.
How much does it weigh?
What size are the engines you have?
What model Futaba?
Pictures will help.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:00 PM
delman

You might try contacting the North Texas Aeromodelers in Denton or take it to their field for help.

http://www.aeromodelers.org
Old 04-29-2008, 04:11 PM
warrath blacktiger

thanks for the input delman been trying to see if they had a sit just missed trying to talk to some one on that field always at work when 1 of them was over there flying .
as for type of plan its not sport or warbird i say may be trainer
i put some photos in my gallery sorry for the quality of photos best i got at moment.
as for the engines the only thing i could find on them was mahle 49zn2 on the larger 1 and 44zn18 on the small 1
as for the controler it is a futaba conqusest i think its a late 80s or early 90s model
and thanks agine for any and all help you can give me i try and catch 1 of those guys over at that field and email the aeromodel site get some to look it over .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s as for weight dont know did just find out threw a sales cataloge it had a front landing wheel that was steered i will try some way to try and weighe it not always good with weights always under estimating work with heavy stuff all the time and its hard to tell with light stuff
Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

warrath blacktiger,

The plane looks like a Sig Kadet. I’m not sure if it’s a Kadet Senior or Kadet Seniorita, but suspect Seniorita. The wing has been modified – it’s been clipped and barndoor ailerons added. The pockets in front of the ailerons are most likely for the servos.

The engines are gas engines and are not suitable for a plane like the Kadet. Beyond that I have no clue as to the manufacturer or any other info on those.

The radio is a Futaba Conquest 6. It’s a 6-channel with dual rates and is still a good radio. Drawback to yours is its AM which is more susceptible to interference, and it doesn’t have a trainer port. Is it legal? You need to find out what frequency it’s on, and if it is narrow band (silver stickered will be single conversion, gold stickered will be dual conversion or narrow band). If it’s on the older frequency spectrum, then you have a shelf ornament. If it’s gold stickered then it’ll be legal to fly. Batteries will cost about $50.00 – the TX battery has connectors that look like a 9v battery, and the RX battery will have a “G†connector on it (modern Futaba radios have a “Jâ€). If it is a dual conversion, then receiver will have “J†plugs on it. I have the same exact radio – AM and gold stickered - and just put new batteries in it.

If you can get the model number for the receiver and servos, we’ll be able to give you a more positive identification of what you have. Also the wingspan and length of the plane.

Hogflyer
Old 04-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Missileman

Looks like a kit built Kadet Senior (also based on your stated wingspan) You will have to build mounting plates for the aileron servos.
You will need a .46 to .61, 2 stroke glow or .63 to .82 4 stroke glow. I have flown both of my Kadet Seniors (1 ARF and 1 from a kit) with .46 2 strokes with fantastic results.
The engines you have are too large for that plane.
You will probably have to look around a bit to find a compatable receiver for that radio.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:15 PM
warrath blacktiger

thanks guys wing span is 81 in and len is5 ft 21/4 in long
as for freq i think its 72.5 theres a diod or somthing thats pluged in up at the top on the back i figured it had to do with the freq and how u changed them
i will get that number down had it on disk to bring up here to libary put must have left it at home
as for the ailerons thats what i thought that they where mounted there becase there is a duel lead that runs to both from the center of the wing
and it looks like there are 4 screw holes to hold each plate in place just need to figure out how they where orintade in side the wing and which way the cable goes to each aileron
any thoughts on if the are used together like flaps for takeoff and land or independant for turns and stuff????
and since there is a single plug in lead that goes from the wing to control both what would i need there to contorle them???
thanks agine for all the help and info!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:52 PM
warrath blacktiger

p.s. if you know any 1 looking for mahle gas engines model 49zn2 or 44zn18 i would be willing to trade or sell for a suitable motor for my plane or what ever parts and stuff i could get for it
they seam to both have good compresion comparing it to my weed eaters that i use for work

and do you have any idea on what size or type gas tank this thing might use becase there looks like several places inside the fusealoge where they had stuff placed

as well as 2 slots in the side for switches i think and as for the motor mounts it looks like it had 1 got the hole in the firewall

and i just figured out the cabel running into the engine compartment has to do with the front wheel steering looks like they may have had a servo palet mounted above some other palet mounted just above the wheel mounts inside the fusaloge like 2 tiers i belive

trying to find if there are any more mounting places in the fusaloge if i find any more i will let you know i tryed to photo it but they just didnt come out i will try to draw up something to show what i mean thanks agine!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:01 PM
carrellh

Put your zip code in the search box and you'll find multiple clubs within 25 miles
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

Here are three, and the contact numbers.
NORTH DALLAS RC CLUB 972/625-0806
FALCONS OF LAKE DALLAS 940-241-2466
NORTH TEXAS AEROMODELERS 972-539-8576

I wouldn't send out a bunch of emails and wait for a reply, especially since you do not have full time internet access. Use the phone and try to make contact with someone. They might point you to a neighbor who can check out your stuff and help you get started.

If you don't connect with a club member, you could haul your stuff to a hobby shop and see if they can figure out what you have and what you need.
I do not know if there are any good hobby shops in Denton. Mike's, in Carrollton, is pretty good. Some of the guys who work there are probably in one or more of the nearby clubs. It's located on southbound I-35 between Sandy Lake and Belt Line. Take the Sandy Lake exit and stay on the service road. The store is an office building just before the you see the Belt Line ramp coming off of the highway.

I'm in the Greenville club. It's a pretty long haul down 380 from Denton to Greenville, so we're probably not a good option for you.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:21 PM
carrellh

Before you buy anything, or do a bunch of trading, please contact a club or hobby shop for some hands on analysis of what you need.

If you end up with a .61 cubic inch two stroke engine you'll probably want about a 12 ounce fuel tank. The engine manual will have a tank size recommendation. The tank will go directly behind the firewall, as close to the engine as possible.

There is usually a servo tray (plywood with rectangular holes) in the open compartment under the wing. Some models have two hardwood rails running across thefuselage and the servos get mounted to them.

If you download and print the manual to a trainer kit, it will show pictures of how the radio equipment, switches, etc are mounted. Models vary but you'll at least have something to use for guidance. Go to http://www.greatplanes.com/parts/index.html#kits and download the one for the PT-40 MkII or PT-60. The Piper J3 Cub 60 manual shows dual aileron servos mounted to hatches so they're mostly hidden inside the wing.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:17 PM
warrath blacktiger

thanks for the ideas agine i know about the place in carrolton was there way back when
as for the gas tank info thanks wasnt sure about what to do for it or where to place it
and carrellh thanks for the web sit i will check those pdf's out when i get them home
only thing about taking the plane to carrolton was its hard to fit that big honker in a vehicele without messing up something but i have a plan know to get it there whene i have time
as for the club # thanks i will call them whene i get some more phone time on my cell thanks guys
oh i going to put a couple of jpegs in the photo section 1 shows part of the plane bay
area part of the 1 is on the second jpeg its to scale of the compartment just add it to the end
past the 5/18 in mark is and that will be the length and where it says 2nd cross memember that should go all the way across for the second level i think its the 1 tha t the wing servos rest on and the nose gear servo the 2 side blocks look like thats where the bottem palet was mounted just above the landing gear bolts
the2nd jpeg has the hole marked out as to where the engine was mounted and the fuel lines came in from the back and the diod for the radio that plugs in at the back i think the fire wall is strong enough to mount the engin its heavey duty piece of wood and their are screwnuts mounted in the back of those holes to hold the mounts
thanks agine