Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Vertigo II Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:25 AM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Vertigo II Build Thread

Ahhh, beautiful Robert.
That picture took a while to show up. I like those fillets.
I talked a buddy out of the fillets once, much to his complaining, because of weight and he ended up putting on tail weight...oops, my bad!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Timthetoolman1

First side is done. I have no idea how many layers because I just patched in all the scraps I had but I figured I got at least 6 layers of 6 oz which I usually do about 5 layers of 9 oz but I think it will be fine.

The back wing fillet area is a beast. I have the feeling I'll be digging out the bubbles and remolding that corner.

I went fairly slow because I didn't want the epoxy to kick and heat up the fuselage...that's the last thing I need is for it to warp.

Robert, after I got the PVA on last night I noticed the fuselage side was had some really small waves in it. They are not bad but I didn't see them with the straight edge so they will stay. How's that for nostalgia? 'It's authentic, look at the ripples!'

I suggest putting 3/4 ounce on top at the end to help prevent the frayed ends of the glass sticking up when it's dry. They act as a serrated knife.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78848.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	802.9 KB
ID:	1887125  
Old 05-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Timthetoolman1

Side one is done and out of the jig thanks to keeping the shop warm today.

Late tomorrow I'll lay up the other side.

You'll have to go to RC Groups for the picture...naturally.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:52 AM
jsanchez581
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HiKLXMASTER14, very nice paint job... I am wondering if you used a spray gun or an air brush in you plane? I have use KK paint, but I canot get the finish that you have in you plane... I have been using a spray gun.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2013, 04:12 AM
Timthetoolman1

I'm glad you asked Mr Sanchez. I'd like to know what he used to.

I just started using KK paint and have good results so far. The only thing I don't like about them is the time it has to cure before you put on masking tape versus the total time you have to add additional colors. For example you spray the white like I did, you have to wait around 4-6 hours to add masking tape for the next color which has to be added to the white before 24 hours when it cures or you will have to sand. So I striped the Dirty Birdy shown here and masked each colors off separately and I'm waiting for the weather to finish.

Tim

Well, I'd love to show you a picture but RCU problems. The only one I have is on the SPA Google groups https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topic/SPAmembers/0JXD9s1WtDc about half way down there's a picture of it on a stand.
I'll be moving this to 'another site' soon or start putting everything on a server.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:19 AM
KLXMASTER14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jsanchez581

Hi KLXMASTER14 , very nice paint job... I am wondering if you used a spray gun or an air brush in you plane? I have use KK paint, but I canot get the finish that you have in you plane... I have been using a spray gun.

Thanks
I use a cheap Harbor Freight touch up gun. The finish starts with surface preparation. No paint will look good over a poorly prepared surface. Mix your KK, and let it sit for about 30 minutes to begin catalyzation. Then, thin it 3/1 (Thinner/paint). Spray on a light coat, just enough to wet the surface. Repeat until coverage is achieved. Do not try to do it all in one pass!!! That's it in a nutshell.

-Robert
Old 05-31-2013, 08:30 AM
Timthetoolman1

That's what I used too. I tried the large one first and switched to the smaller one from Harbor Freight.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Timthetoolman1

The mold is done. Found a big air bubble over the wing saddle but I have some loose weave 4 oz against the surface coat so hopefully it stuck. If not it should be a simple fix.

For a while I'll be posting on the other site on the Vertigo II thread Fred started.

Next I'll be drilling some bolt holes so I can clamp it together while I lay up a fuselage. Hopefully by Monday I'll have a new fuselage.

Is anyone interested in seeing this stuff? I don't want to put anyone to sleep like I do at the club meetings. I understand most of us don't have the time for this kind of stuff since we have a few ARF choices now.

Name:	Vt58240.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	1887397  
Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Is anyone interested in seeing this stuff?
ABSOLUTELY!!!

Brian
Old 06-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Timthetoolman1

Alright, for Robert, Brian, and Steve...

I was right, the mold was too thin. The 8 oz cloth was way too light, it said tooling cloth but I don't think so. I won't get into why but if you are going to try this shoot me a PM and I'll explain it.

I thought I'd experiment a bit so I glued balsa sticks to the outside of the fuselage and glassed over it with (3) layers of 8 oz glass and then put it in a vacuum bag at about 8" Hg which is roughly 4 psi. I sealed the holes for the bolts with plumbers putty and put Y2 Clay around the flange where the two halves meet. The fuselage is in the mold too to help keep the mold straight. The only reason for the vacuum bag is to get the glass as smooth around the sticks as possible and smooth out the epoxy.

The sticks act as a truss system and I'm expecting it to be sufficiently strong...we'll see.

I figure at this point I'll be at about 1800 grams of epoxy when I'm done. I'll need more supplies after this. Time to go to the gettin' place...lol.

Name:	Qo39019.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1887602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53911.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1887603