Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

world models intruder

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:40 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: world models intruder

Well, you have my best wishes for your exploits tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Free Bird

I flew my 'Truder for a couple of seasons with a Saito 91. It's a good match to the airframe. It's too bad the covering isn't quite as good. I'll admit though, I have a couple hundred flights on it! So I expected that I'd need to re-do the covering at some point in time. Good luck with the maiden!

FB
Old 10-02-2010, 02:43 PM
ChiefK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disappointed......

Engine wouldn't start and determined that there must be a "kink" in the main fuel line. Will pull the tank and reinstall as necessary to prevent that problem from reoccurring. Hopefully, I'll get to try again tomorrow.

Greg
Old 10-03-2010, 12:51 PM
ChiefK

A little better day today. Too windy to fly a "maiden" (est. 15-20mph direct crosswind to the runway), in fact the only person to attempt a flight ended up landing in the weeds, but my fuel tank adjustment worked well. The Saito started right up and ran very nicely. Tach'd at 10,500 with a APC 13X8 prop and 10% fuel on the ground, solid idle at 2150. With a new work week starting, it'll be next weekend before I can try again.

Greg
Old 10-07-2010, 07:06 PM
ChiefK

ORIGINAL: ChiefK

A little better day today. Too windy to fly a ''maiden'' (est. 15-20mph direct crosswind to the runway), in fact the only person to attempt a flight ended up landing in the weeds, but my fuel tank adjustment worked well. The Saito started right up and ran very nicely. Tach'd at 10,500 with a APC 13X8 prop and 10% fuel on the ground, solid idle at 2150. With a new work week starting, it'll be next weekend before I can try again.

Greg
The weather forecast is excellent and the Intruder is ready to fly. Saturday will be the day.

Greg
Old 10-10-2010, 10:02 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What happened ??

Crank
Old 10-11-2010, 06:59 AM
ChiefK

Nothing good happened.....

It looked good taxiing, all controls working appropriately, acceleration down the runway was just fine, liftoff occured as expected, snaproll to the left occurred at about five feet altitude immediately followed by a crash landing. At the crash site (just off the runway), found the right aileron with full down deflection and the right aileron pretty close to level. This is the same radio (my only radio) that suddenly snaprolled my Ultimate biplane into oblivian, and suddenly stopped working, causing my Deception to go down. Three planes lost now, on back-to-back-to-back flights. Radio went back to Horizon after the Ultimate went down. This was the first flight following its return from Horizon. Talked to Horizon at length Saturday afternoon. They went through all settings and ultimately decided that there must be a problem with the TX and I'm supposed to send it back.

The Intruder is not fatally damaged. Cowl was smashed, spinner was smashed, the rest of the airplane looks OK. New cowl, new spinner ordered.

Thinking about buying a Hitec 9.....

Greg
Old 10-11-2010, 07:26 AM
hrrcflyer

Greg,

Sorry to hear about your Intruder's maiden flight..[&o] I know how unsettling losing a new plane on it's maiden flight can be. At least you know what went wrong and you are taking the necessary steps to eliminate the problem. I'm a Futaba guy myself, but I've heard and read allot of good things about the Hitec Aurora 9 transmitter. I hope you can get your Intruder fixed soon and back up into the air.

David
Old 10-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Free Bird

What a bummer! Very sorry to hear of your misfortune. Was the JR radio a 2.4?

FB
Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 AM
crankpin

Hey Chief - No fear. Take a look at my Intruder # 1, then the re-building process. This should make you feel good, not to have this much damage. High speed stall at low altitude, downwind turn on final, straight down. I have since retired this one. If you are using 2.4 radio, make sure you have a 6V rx battery pack on board.

Crank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24796.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1514586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49437.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1514587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93640.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1514588  
Old 10-11-2010, 08:19 AM
stuntflyr

Hey Chief,
Bummer.
If it's any consolation; You haven't lost as many models with one radio as my father. He uses an extreme 2.4 conversion on a Futaba 9C. He has lost about 6 models in FL because of radio problems.
I finally got him to buy a new radio, so far, so good.
I wouldn't recommend staying with a radio too long based on repairs to it, especially since there are so many new radios available for a reasonable price.
Hope you're back in the air soon, with a good working radio.
Chris...
Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 AM
ChiefK

It was a Spektrum DX7 - have had lots of good flying with this system. No clue what's causing the current problem. I'll send it back and fly it in a throw-away for a while to see if I can regain some trust in it. Still seriously considering the Hitec 9

Greg
Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 AM
crankpin

Chief. I use the JR X9303, and have had the Spektrum DX-7, no issue's, only flew it a few time's. Recently, I sent it back to Horizon, just for a check up, nothing wrong with it. They upgraded the R7000 rx for quick connect and record capability, plus, put the lastest 2.4 antenna on it. All checked out fine.

You do not have to, but recommended, go to 6V on board rx pack. You do not have to change brand's of radio. You can change brand's, have a glitch somewhere, what then ? Horizon has been great for upgrade's, repair, communication, fast turnaround. Call them up again, they will call you back, if busy. My R921's have operated 100%, never a problem.

Vince
Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 AM
ChiefK

That Intruder looks like my Deception did after the radio failed. The Spektrum DX7 is a 2.4 design as I'm sure you know. the flight Intruder receivers and battery were not the same ones that went down with my Deception and Ultimate. The battery was a brand new 6v NiMH pack from HoBS Batteries. Everything fully charged for this first flight. At the field, after the crash, I switched the aileron cables to the receiver and the opposite aileron then went into full UP deflection. While talking to a tech at Horizon, a few hours later, he asked me to plug in the wing again, and the ailerons were both perfectly centered. It will probably look just fine to the Horizon tech who gets the repair job.

Greg
Old 10-11-2010, 09:01 AM
crankpin

Chief - I am using NOBS batteries also, great set up. Important question: Did you re-bind, after all change's, set-up's, etc. ?? That is important, after all adjustment's, etc. From what you are saying, sound's like that could be the problem.

Vince
Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 AM
ChiefK

I don't disagree with anything you said Vince, but the radio was just returned from Horizon - sent it in after the Ultimate went down due to a sudden unexpected snaproll. Now it snaprolls my Intruder on takeoff in its first use after being returned by Horizon. It's hard to continue to have faith in this system.

Greg
Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 AM
crankpin

Chief - I don't want to sound like an ahole, did you re-bind before flying ? If you didn't, that could be the problem. I am not an expert here, but only speaking from experience.

Vince
Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 AM
ChiefK

I think I did a rebind Vince. I was being very thorough with this airplane, but honestly, I'm just not 100% sure that I did a final rebind after the final adjustment. Shouldn't have had an adverse effect though, I may be wrong, hard to tell for sure, but I don't think the airplane ever had a chance to go into fail-safe mode. A possibility though, I guess..... A final rebind would only be an issue if the radio went into failsafe.... am I right? If it went into failsafe, then there's probably some other problem. Please correct me if I don't have this right.

Greg
Old 10-11-2010, 10:14 AM
crankpin

Chief - Have you seen this bulletin on the DX-7 ? If you went into fail safe, I am sure you would not have had the aileron's set which would cause a roll like that.

OverviewSpecificationsMultimediaSupportProductsRev iewsDX7 7Ch Air w/AR7000 & 4-DS821 MD2
Bulletins
DX7 ModelMatch Bulletin

Recently Horizon Hobby Service Department discovered a software issue in DX7 transmitters with HA002J, HR003J, HR004J, HR005J, HR006J, HR007J, HR008J or HR009J Product IDs (PIDs) and FCC ID: BRWDAMTX11.

The issue Service Center discovered affects ModelMatch for models 11–20 when binding and saving new models into memory.

Horizon Hobby has a software update to correct this issue. This software update can only be performed by Horizon Hobby’s Service Department authorized Technicians.

If your DX7 has one of the following PIDs: HR003J, HR004J, HR005J, HR006J, HR007J, HR008J or HR009J and FCC ID BRWDAMTX11.

Click here to complete the Spektrum DX7 Return Request form.
You may also e-mail the Horizon Hobby Product Support team. Please type “DX7 Return Request Form” in the subject line. Please include your shipping address, daytime phone number, and the date code from your Spektrum DX7 transmitter. Click here to e-mail product support.
Horizon will pay for all ground shipping.
If you have further questions, please call Horizon Hobby Product Support at 877-504-0233.
Consumers outside the US and Canada should contact their local retailer or distributor. A list of International distributors may be found at: www.horizonhobby.com/StoreLocator.
As with all RC aircraft, please check your transmitter and equipment prior to each flight.
Horizon Hobby and the Spektrum team apologize for this inconvenience.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:40 PM
ChiefK

Vince,

Can't find a PID, but the FCC ID on my transmitter ends with a "10", not "11".

Greg
Old 10-11-2010, 04:39 PM
ChiefK

ORIGINAL: ChiefK

Vince,

Can't find a PID, but the FCC ID on my transmitter ends with a ''10'', not ''11''.

Greg
The DX7 is in a UPS box, on its way to Champaign, IL.

Additional note: One of the guys in my local club who has witnessed my recent troubles gave me a "sympathy" model from his workshop, to keep me busy. It's a partially constructed J&J Troublemaker in somewhat rough condition that has been hanging around his workshop since the early 80's. He apologized about losing track of the plans, but guess what... I still have a set of plans. This is the same model I flew to a 2nd place in "novice" at the 74 Nationals. Of course, that model had retracts and a screaming Webra Speed .61, but it'll have to be fixed gear (maybe taildragger) this time around. However, I still have a very healthy Webra Speed .61 to put in it. I'm considering starting a thread when I'm ready to restart the previous construction.

Greg
Old 10-11-2010, 04:50 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

This is the same radio (my only radio) that suddenly snaprolled my Ultimate biplane into oblivian, and suddenly stopped working, causing my Deception to go down. Three planes lost now, on back-to-back-to-back flights.
Greg, you mean that Beautiful Deception is no more?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:57 AM
ChiefK

It's true.... but I plan to add another Deception to my wish list of planes to build.

Greg
Old 10-12-2010, 05:44 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had a futaba t6xa transmitter do the same thing to me a few yrs ago. i lost 1 plane and the next incident took full left to get the plane landed out in the field. i never used that transmitter again.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Free Bird

Additional note: One of the guys in my local club who has witnessed my recent troubles gave me a "sympathy" model from his workshop, to keep me busy. It's a partially constructed J&J Troublemaker in somewhat rough condition that has been hanging around his workshop since the early 80's. He apologized about losing track of the plans, but guess what... I still have a set of plans. This is the same model I flew to a 2nd place in "novice" at the 74 Nationals. Of course, that model had retracts and a screaming Webra Speed .61, but it'll have to be fixed gear (maybe taildragger) this time around. However, I still have a very healthy Webra Speed .61 to put in it. I'm considering starting a thread when I'm ready to restart the previous construction.

Greg
Go for it Greg! I've got a NIB kit that perhaps I'll get to late this winter. My Dad and Bonetti were pretty good friends back in the day.

FB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.