Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Model Aviation, Model Airplane News... disappointed

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Model Aviation, Model Airplane News... disappointed

Old 07-24-2015, 01:12 PM
  #51  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,338
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Delete

Last edited by init4fun; 07-25-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:40 PM
  #52  
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)
 
tailskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Tolleson, AZ
Posts: 9,552
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jetmaven
My favorite edition ever , Aquila plans and her , life is good.
That was my favorite issue also...and yes, I think I have a copy of that issue.....

Jerry
Old 07-24-2015, 04:39 PM
  #53  
ovationdave
Senior Member
My Feedback: (16)
 
ovationdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Linden, MI
Posts: 499
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Personally, I don't like the fact that when they review aircraft, there are rarely any "Cons" listed. I know I read a review of a particular aircraft from a reputable company, and purchased it based on that review. Well I found plenty of "cons" that I had to fix to get it together (ARF). That's why I like building, almost all of the "cons" in the final product are of my own doing, and that's how I learn. I know they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them (free planes to test, that is), but come on, how do we expect improvements in the products if they are always perfect?

Dave
Old 07-24-2015, 05:04 PM
  #54  
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)
 
tailskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Tolleson, AZ
Posts: 9,552
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I haven't seen a perfect kit or ARF yet!
Old 07-24-2015, 05:04 PM
  #55  
Bigg D
My Feedback: (37)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: , NY
Posts: 170
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The hobby has been taken over by "Check builders" They build with there check book and become "Experts" in there mind. True builders are becoming few and far between, and yes there is no talent in the mag's You look close at some of the workmanship by these so called builders and you would think Ray Charles is still building ! MAN WAS GOOD BUT NOW THEY WENT THE WAY OF THE QUADS. THERE ARE QUAD SPECIFIC PUBLICATIONS YET WE SEE THEM PALUTEING ONCE GOOD MAGAZINES. D o they put model airplane articals in the Quad mag's ????????????????????????????????????????????????? THERE IS NOT A DECENT PUBLICATION ANYMORE.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:30 PM
  #56  
ovationdave
Senior Member
My Feedback: (16)
 
ovationdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Linden, MI
Posts: 499
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Yes, I would love to see a mag dedicated to "Fixed Wing Flight"............sounds like a good name right there, don't it?. One more thing, I have to say that I had the same thoughts regarding the OM's post on that article for coordinated vs. "yank-n-bank".....however I have to admit to be a Y&B pilot most of the time :-) . But I know this is a fairly debated issue at our field, I can't imagine that the "pro's" are all flying rudderless.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:22 PM
  #57  
jetmaven
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Fl.
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Tailskid , my 38 year old Aquila flies at leat once a week and has outlived two winches , who knows how many radio systems and been
recovered at least three times .
i only hope the cover girl has aged as beautifully .
Old 07-24-2015, 07:28 PM
  #58  
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 183
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Personally. I think the AMA should make "Model Aviation" an option when we pay our dues. Everything that's needed ( Contest Calender) is available on the website. The rest of it is advertising.

Last edited by LJE4357; 07-24-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:15 PM
  #59  
MTK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Whippany, NJ
Posts: 5,386
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by LJE4357
I read your post. The problem you wrote about a totally different issue. It's not Blacks & Whites or even Hispanics. it's the education system. If you think it's so great. How come the engineering schools in this country are closing. How come young hobbiest only fly ARF's, nobody builds. If we did that 50 years ago, where would we be today? There are engineers out there today that are very good, it the percentage that has gotten smaller. Japan already has very good engineers, we taught them, in the 50's & 60's. Now China , India, are now getting engineers, that can design and build, and not just do paperwork design. This is what I was talking about, not what you posted. I just stated when it started and the way. BTW, I don't know what you done in your carrier. I have 2 patent in my name as the designer. I don't own them.The company I worked for does. I did part of the design of transmitter modulator of the AN-SPS-67 Radar. Still used today, I also did the redesign of the modulator on the B-52 search Radar. I have done a lot more, but I really don't need to write about it on here. Maybe you really need to give the apology. What I said had nothing to do with what you wrote about.
I am about your age then. The racial stuff is very obvious in your post. If you go back and read the post a few days from now, I'd bet you would wish you wrote something different, better, and get your message across without putting any one down. Sorry guy, your stuff just doesn't belong.

You bring up your patents which is fine. You may have been a smart guy once. It's the common sense piece that appears to be missing
Old 07-24-2015, 09:00 PM
  #60  
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: KALISPELL, MT
Posts: 752
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Well I received mine in the mail today and of course what is on the front cover, a quad, and on the back cover and just about every other page in the mag. I turn on NBC evening news and whats in the opening headlines, Drones ground firefighting planes from doing their job in California. Then start to read the AMA/FAA debate and how the FAA needs to back off on Model airplanes yet all they want to talk about and advertise are the same item that is prompting the FAA to impose their will. Awesome!!
From now on it will go where the Potter Barn crap goes. Next year I will request it not be sent and the AMA can save on postage.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:04 PM
  #61  
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)
 
tailskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Tolleson, AZ
Posts: 9,552
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jetmaven
Tailskid , my 38 year old Aquila flies at leat once a week and has outlived two winches , who knows how many radio systems and been
recovered at least three times .
i only hope the cover girl has aged as beautifully .
i have one NIB, and "one of these days" it is going to be built!

jerry
Old 07-24-2015, 09:34 PM
  #62  
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 183
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MTK
I am about your age then. The racial stuff is very obvious in your post. If you go back and read the post a few days from now, I'd bet you would wish you wrote something different, better, and get your message across without putting any one down. Sorry guy, your stuff just doesn't belong.

You bring up your patents which is fine. You may have been a smart guy once. It's the common sense piece that appears to be missing
I'm sorry, you are so wrong, Just because I use 3 words, that makes it racial? BS. What I said was totally about the education system in this country, and how it's changed. If you think what I said racial, then your the one that's racial. One of my best friends is black, and he's a modeler. You sound more like a person that like to twists the truth. You tell me exactly what I said about being racial. I wrote only about education. And if you think our education system is good today, you must be part of it. Kids today have to use a calculator to do simple math. If the battery wears out there out of luck.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:42 AM
  #63  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by LJE4357
I'm sorry, you are so wrong, Just because I use 3 words, that makes it racial? BS. What I said was totally about the education system in this country, and how it's changed. If you think what I said racial, then your the one that's racial. One of my best friends is black, and he's a modeler. You sound more like a person that like to twists the truth. You tell me exactly what I said about being racial. I wrote only about education. And if you think our education system is good today, you must be part of it. Kids today have to use a calculator to do simple math. If the battery wears out there out of luck.
It might have been this part that made people think you brought race into a conversation about a magazine:

"Instead of the young black population being educated to the level of the whites, it was less expensive bring the whites down to the level of the blacks."

...level of whites.....down to the level of blacks...... Read that a few times, you can't see an issue with that? And then the requisite "I'm not a racist because one of by my best friends is black".


MA is a magazine that caters to the widest RC model population possible, so it's going to be somewhat generic in nature. It tries to provide everything for everyone. Like a Target or Cracker Barrel...some people will love it, others want more selection. So far it's the only magazine I see that has a little something for everyone, including ads (which is how the magazine is funded in part). Perhaps there are mags out there for free flight only, or slope soaring only, or giant scale, but I'm not aware of them. Within that subset, I'm sure there are readers that are complaining about those magazine as well.

You can opt out of getting the magazine if you want. Also, fwiw, the magazine is a profit center for the AMA and brings IN revenue. Is it lining someone's pocket...lol I doubt it. No more than our dues are, or any other revenue the AMA generates. I doubt people are there because of the crazy high salaries and perks. It is what it is. Lots of good suggestion on what to do with the mag though, our club buys annual subscrptions for all the town libraries, as well as middle and high school libraries.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:30 AM
  #64  
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 183
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Like I said, My post was about " Education" not racism. I also said nothing about salaries and the people working there. There is nothing wrong with advertising in MA either, but the article's today are totally different than they were 25 years ago. Its more advertising about a product, rather on how to do something. Let me ask you something. What do you know about the By-Laws written for the AMA organization? There very explanatory from the first day they were written. I agree with you, nobody there is getting wealthy, not yet anyway.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:01 AM
  #65  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,338
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Delete

Last edited by init4fun; 07-26-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:28 AM
  #66  
ovationdave
Senior Member
My Feedback: (16)
 
ovationdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Linden, MI
Posts: 499
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

You guys must be fun at parties.......not. Take it offline or simply refrain from posting, your ruining a thread with this crap.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:45 AM
  #67  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,338
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ovationdave
You guys must be fun at parties.......not. Take it offline or simply refrain from posting, your ruining a thread with this crap.
If you haven't the moxie to challenge patently racist statements like what was posted , maybe it's you who are not suited to internet discussion ? When someone posts an attack such as that , if no one has the courage to stand up for what's right , the racist statement appears to be condoned by all by the silence of the participants . And sorry pal , I DO NOT condone what was said , and will reserve MY RIGHT to call out ANY bad behavior in any thread I see . Your piddling twaddle about "thread purity" aside , most threads DO drift somewhat , but a REAL MAN speaks up when that drift involves something straight out of a KKK pamphlet !!!!!

Maybe a nice quilting forum would appease your delicate sensitivities ?
Old 07-25-2015, 06:47 AM
  #68  
TheEdge
My Feedback: (788)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bonita, CA
Posts: 1,099
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun
If you haven't the moxie to challenge patently racist statements like what was posted , maybe it's you who are not suited to internet discussion ? When someone posts an attack such as that , if no one has the courage to stand up for what's right , the racist statement appears to be condoned by all by the silence of the participants . And sorry pal , I DO NOT condone what was said , and will reserve MY RIGHT to call out ANY bad behavior in any thread I see . Your piddling twaddle about "thread purity" aside , most threads DO drift somewhat , but a REAL MAN speaks up when that drift involves something straight out of a KKK pamphlet !!!!!

Maybe a nice quilting forum would appease your delicate sensitivities ?
As usual, well said.

+1
Old 07-25-2015, 06:52 AM
  #69  
ovationdave
Senior Member
My Feedback: (16)
 
ovationdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Linden, MI
Posts: 499
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

This is not the place for it.....but I am sure you know best. Whatever......
Old 07-25-2015, 06:56 AM
  #70  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,338
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Thank You Edge .
Old 07-25-2015, 07:02 AM
  #71  
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 183
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

This will be my last post concerning this issue. I refuse to have a battle of whits with an unarmed person. Because I used the word " Black " I am a racist. I said nothing about racism, only a couple of other's on here did. My issue was education, and it's not an opinion, its real history. But there are some on here that can probably could take the " Holy Bible" and just use the words in it and rewrite it to a porn novel. If you think I insulted you in a manor of racism, I'm sorry, I apologize . My opinions were on education. Now we see what education has done today, just in this thread.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:08 AM
  #72  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,338
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ovationdave
This is not the place for it.....but I am sure you know best. Whatever......
Hey Dave ,

Honestly buddy , where is "the place for it" ? I ask this not as a taunt , I ask in all seriousness , why should something so ugly be ignored rather than called out in the very place it was posted ? This gent is putting forth the notion that the decline in model aircraft magazines is due to the dumbing down of all races to coincide with a supposed lack of intelligence in the black race . How could such a racist notion be left in print unchallenged ? The guy had the option to edit his post after I first called him out on it yesterday , but instead went on trying to convince me that I was seeing something in his post that he didn't mean . Well now in the light of a new day it seems others share my view that his post is not proper for the discussion . The right thing was to call out the post , hopefully the poster would see that his post wasn't welcome or relevant to the discussion at hand , and then he should have apologized for offending the board and deleted the toxic post . Someone posts racist garbage , and that's to be ignored ? And I am the big bad meanie for calling it out ? Sorry my friend , but I just don't see it that way .

Last edited by init4fun; 07-25-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:13 AM
  #73  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,338
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Delete

Last edited by init4fun; 07-25-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: redundant post , the guy already knows where I stand ..
Old 07-25-2015, 07:35 AM
  #74  
ovationdave
Senior Member
My Feedback: (16)
 
ovationdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Linden, MI
Posts: 499
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I was simply pointing out that RCU is not the place for it. Now, you can take that however you wish, but I am in this hobby for fun, not to see threads hi-jacked for someone to voice their political/racial/religious rants, there are thousands of places on the web for that already. I am not going to be baited into another extension of the previous discussion, but I will say that regardless of the position of either party, RCU is not where it should happen, and IMO, all comments that pertain to the topic of race should have been removed by a moderator, as I would like to see anything removed that discusses the "big 3" mentioned above, but I realize that they can not monitor every thread all the time. I know how I live my life, and I know what I stand for, I don't have to prove it or rant about to the thousands of "real men" that are online, as it seems everyone has a bigger-than-life persona when they can type in the comfort of their own home. And regardless of the position or thoughts of the initial post in question, you will not change anyone's position by some posts on a discussion thread. Now, you may call this passive on my part, but I will just let the moderators decide if it should be removed, no sense in arguing as it is just an exercise in frustration.

This is what I do to relax, and the friendships I have though this hobby cross many racial-religious & political boundaries, the topics are non-related IMO, and I will do what I can to keep them that way.

Dave
Old 07-25-2015, 07:49 AM
  #75  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,338
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ovationdave
I was simply pointing out that RCU is not the place for it. Now, you can take that however you wish, but I am in this hobby for fun, not to see threads hi-jacked for someone to voice their political/racial/religious rants, there are thousands of places on the web for that already. I am not going to be baited into another extension of the previous discussion, but I will say that regardless of the position of either party, RCU is not where it should happen, and IMO, all comments that pertain to the topic of race should have been removed by a moderator, as I would like to see anything removed that discusses the "big 3" mentioned above, but I realize that they can not monitor every thread all the time. I know how I live my life, and I know what I stand for, I don't have to prove it or rant about to the thousands of "real men" that are online, as it seems everyone has a bigger-than-life persona when they can type in the comfort of their own home. And regardless of the position or thoughts of the initial post in question, you will not change anyone's position by some posts on a discussion thread. Now, you may call this passive on my part, but I will just let the moderators decide if it should be removed, no sense in arguing as it is just an exercise in frustration.

This is what I do to relax, and the friendships I have though this hobby cross many racial-religious & political boundaries, the topics are non-related IMO, and I will do what I can to keep them that way.

Dave
Dave , let's not forget , I am not the one who posted racist ugliness , I was the first one to nicely ask that it be removed . All this other posturing is due to the refusal of the poster to remove his offending post . It's not any kinds of "big 3 rant" to ask politely that someone remove an offending post , it's using the system as intended . The man's post was offending . Plain and simple . In fact , my next act after this post will be to PM RC Ken and ask him to start at the offending post and remove every bit of this that doesn't involve model aircraft magazines . Just remember this ; If someone , anyone , posts offending posts containing "the big 3" , you can bet your butt I'm gonna call them out , for the very reason that this is no place for it ! Allowed once means will likely be allowed twice , and I refuse to let that happen to a site that I come to read about model airplanes .

Happy Flying to All .......

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.