Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Brendan Lugo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

ORIGINAL: riadh01

Is there a way to trigger an on/off switch to act with the throttle rpm range? Switch on, say up to 3000rpm ,off ,above 3000rpm.This is particularly useful when you install an on board plug igniter via this switch. I have tried throttle p mix with an aux channel in combination with EPA for the aux ch to limit itstravel but thisdidnt seem to do the trick. Any suggestions here. Cheers

Ithink you can set something like this using the fuel mix option in the radio. Go back to model type and tell it you have a fuel mixture so that screen appears under your model setup.
In this screen and the way the mix is working Ihave: (ignition is in ch.6)
H: 50%
L: 0%
ACC: +100%
OST: 0%
This gives me what apears to be a "on" for channel 6 ignition when at idle that then will quickly be off at about 1/4 stick travel.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:19 AM
czaiss

Hi Lqaun

I'm pretty sure your overthinking the whole interferance issue. You have to realize that this is a frequency hopping spread spectrum. It will automatically change the frequencies within the active 20 channels in normal mode. You dont have to swich to scan mode for it to do this. Just do a range check in normal mode, then in scan mode, I'd bet there isn't much difference. I'd also bet that you havent actually had any interference glitches, your just paranoid.

I have attended at least a few pylon races with my radio and it is probably the most reliable there, there were at least a fewotherswho had DNS because they could not get their plane to bind when they got to the start line, (very embarassing). No such issue with aurora.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:03 PM
dfrazier
My Feedback: (9)

Is it possible with a firmware update that the radio can be made to hop over the entire frequency range so the scan mode is not necessary.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:09 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: czaiss

Hi Lqaun

I'm pretty sure your overthinking the whole interferance issue. You have to realize that this is a frequency hopping spread spectrum. It will automatically change the frequencies within the active 20 channels in normal mode. You dont have to swich to scan mode for it to do this. Just do a range check in normal mode, then in scan mode, I'd bet there isn't much difference. I'd also bet that you havent actually had any interference glitches, your just paranoid.

I have attended at least a few pylon races with my radio and it is probably the most reliable there, there were at least a few others who had DNS because they could not get their plane to bind when they got to the start line, (very embarassing). No such issue with aurora.
I gues am paranoid when I saw my friend's 12x lost bind when just a minute ago it communicated just fine. He turned on his 12x after assembled the plane to test the control surfaces, it worked fine, turned it off to fuel, turned it back on to fly, no communication from thereon. He had to rebind to gain control. It was at large event with many people testing and preping their planes at the same time.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:22 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This behavior is not "lost bind".

What happened is when he turned on the transmitter it could not find 2 good channels available. When that happens what should be done is turn everything off, wait a minute, and try it again.

Rebinding accomplished the same thing, he waited a little while and some channel got freed up. But it wasn't necessary to rebind.

TF
Old 05-21-2010, 05:03 PM
JIMF14D

What is the "2 good channels" business?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Gungadin

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

Let me ask you guys this... do you feel the Aurora is worth the money even if you didn't get the FREE and 1/2 price RX's?

Com'on guys, cut us a little slack, it's a FREE RECIEVER!!!! We're not talking a few hundred here... but multiple thousands that we are giving away!

Mike.
Yeah I feel the A9 is worth the money even if I didn't get the FREE RX'r. As a matter of fact not only have I NOT received the free RX'r but also I've NOT received the one I paid 1/2 price for back on March 24th. GEEZ OH MAN Mike what is it going to take ? Lots of vendors have these RX'rs in stock, but Hitec's priority as to who they ship their stock to is irritating to say the least !
Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Michel

Hi Gungadin

Lots of vendors have these RX'rs in stock, but Hitec's priority as to who they ship their stock to is irritating to say the least !

You took the words right out of my mouth

Michel
Old 05-21-2010, 09:00 PM
riadh

Thanks Brendan, How do you engage ch 6 in throttle mix action? I tried P mix throttle to ch 6 with values unaltered and went to the throttle mix menu and dialed your suggested values but it was not effective on ch 6 ! I am sure I am missing something here .Cheers
Old 05-21-2010, 09:46 PM
dfrazier
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

What is the ''2 good channels'' business?
When you turn on your JR/Spektrum Tx it searches for 2 clean channels and locks onto them. It does not hop frequencies like the other radios.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:37 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Gungadin

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

Let me ask you guys this... do you feel the Aurora is worth the money even if you didn't get the FREE and 1/2 price RX's?

Com'on guys, cut us a little slack, it's a FREE RECIEVER!!!! We're not talking a few hundred here... but multiple thousands that we are giving away!

Mike.
Yeah I feel the A9 is worth the money even if I didn't get the FREE RX'r. As a matter of fact not only have I NOT received the free RX'r but also I've NOT received the one I paid 1/2 price for back on March 24th. GEEZ OH MAN Mike what is it going to take ? Lots of vendors have these RX'rs in stock, but Hitec's priority as to who they ship their stock to is irritating to say the least !
They will ship together... we're not going to ship just the 1/2 price one. Again, we're talking thousands here... We are producing them as fast as we can. In reality, very few retailers have them in stock. But yes, some units were shipped to distributors that placed their orders months ago.

Mike.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:30 AM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Hi........This has probably answered before but if it was I missed it..

How many channels are there for use with 2.4? dozens, hundreds, zillions?

Also, when you turn on the TX, where in the 2.4 spectrum does it start looking for clean channels?

Tcat
Old 05-22-2010, 10:43 AM
JIMF14D

Iwas taking about a real radio, one that has Hitec on the front. Not brand.....S.............................
Old 05-22-2010, 10:05 PM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

The picture below is the official Hitec service department fix for the well documented deadband issue on many Aurora 9's. I sent in my transmitter over two weeks ago, and got it back today. I had significant deadband on end of travel on left aileron, low throttle, and down elevator. The fix is the blue trim pots soldered to the stick pots shown in the picture below. The adjustments are sealed by what looks like hot glue.

The good news is the deadband is gone. The bad news is that the trim pots are not secured by anything other than their leads soldered to the pots. The main concern is the one on the aileron pot, as it moves with the stick. It is easy to move with the tip of my finger. I will likely stake it in place with some low temp hot glue.

I am somewhat surprised they didn't use fixed resistors once they determined what the value should be. The elegant fix would have been to replace the stick pots with ones within tolerance. I just hope these trim pots don't drift in value over time.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29386.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	1440450  
Old 05-22-2010, 11:28 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: riadh01 Thanks Brendan, How do you engage ch 6 in throttle mix action? I tried P mix throttle to ch 6 with values unaltered and went to the throttle mix menu and dialed your suggested values but it was not effective on ch 6 ! I am sure I am missing something here .Cheers
Hi Riadh, further to Brendan's suggestion try:
1. Settings Menu, System screen (picture 1): Select MDL Type > Acro> select "NONE" > Single Engine> "SET" > Retracts - Yes/No > Airbrake- Yes/No > Fuel Mix - YES (result as per picture 2).
2. Settings Menu, System screen (picture 1): Select "Channel", note Fuel Mix defaults to Channel 5. (as per picture 3)
a) tap "Fuel" > SEL and amend Ch5 to "gear" or other preference (as per picture 4) >then "SET" and return to Channel screen.
b) tap Ch6 "AUX1 > SEL and then "Fuel-Mix" followed by "SET" (as per picture 4)and return to Channel screen Verify Ch5 & Ch6 now show correct functions.(as per picture 5).
3. Settings Menu, System screen (picture 6): Select "P.Mixes"> tap "ACT" and screen appears. > tap "THRO" followed by "Fuel" > return to Programmable mix screen (picture 7) and tap "Select"
4. Move throttle stick to top position to highlight H: 0% and increase 50% . > tap 0% beside "ACC" and increase to 100%. Switch remains "NULL" (picture 8)
Servo in ch6 then will move a switch from On to Off as throttle reaches 50%.
If using a manual rather than an electronic switch and this method does not have servo throw for your switch, you may need to swap to a micro switch with lever arm which also compensates for excess throw..
5. Alternatesystems which save a servo and free a channel.:
a). Glow Driver - Simple On Board Glo Driver Use this system myself on large models. Switch is not essential because as motor speeds up, glow plug heats and draw from battery drops to virtually nil but increases again as revs drop and plug cools. This action can be observed when connected to a power panel glow driver and watching the amp meter as the motor is revved up and down.
b). On Board Ignition System

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84229.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1440480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19988.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1440481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78871.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1440482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63252.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	1440483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37539.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1440484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo90972.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1440485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik91947.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1440486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om43885.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1440487  

Old 05-22-2010, 11:35 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Tcat1000 Hi........This has probably answered before but if it was I missed it.. How many channels are there for use with 2.4? dozens, hundreds, zillions? Also, when you turn on the TX, where in the 2.4 spectrum does it start looking for clean channels? Tcat
Detailed
AFHSS - Normal & Scan Modes Explained includes Redundant (Dual) Receivers.
AFHSS - How To Select Optimum Channels - For Your Field
AFHSS - ID-Setup A.K.A, binding or linking & Range Testing Spectra Pro Module <> Optima Receiver
more at
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}
especially good viewing to understand the systems:
Hitec Spectra 2.4 GHz and Optima Transceiver (RX) - Review of AFHSS in operation Video 1 = Normal Mode, Video 2 = Scan Mode.
Hitec Spectra 2.4 GHz and Optima Transceiver (RX) - Review of AFHSS in operation -Video #3 = Answers to questions raised in above Videos 1 & 2. (post #2933 page 296 also refers.)

Regards
Alan T.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:05 AM
riadh

Alan, Many thanksfor this detailed explanation to the switching procedure .I will try to dial it in tonight and if Ihave it right, I would have my finished Airsail Chipmunkkitready to go. Cheers, Riadh
Old 05-23-2010, 06:05 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: jonlowe

The picture below is the official Hitec service department fix for the well documented deadband issue on many Aurora 9's. I sent in my transmitter over two weeks ago, and got it back today. I had significant deadband on end of travel on left aileron, low throttle, and down elevator. The fix is the blue trim pots soldered to the stick pots shown in the picture below. The adjustments are sealed by what looks like hot glue.

The good news is the deadband is gone. The bad news is that the trim pots are not secured by anything other than their leads soldered to the pots. The main concern is the one on the aileron pot, as it moves with the stick. It is easy to move with the tip of my finger. I will likely stake it in place with some low temp hot glue.

I am somewhat surprised they didn't use fixed resistors once they determined what the value should be. The elegant fix would have been to replace the stick pots with ones within tolerance. I just hope these trim pots don't drift in value over time.

Is this "deadband" issue common to all A9's, or just the early ones? If so, is there a manufacturing date that would indicate when a fix was done for new radios before original sale?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:24 AM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Highflight

ORIGINAL: jonlowe

Is this ''deadband'' issue common to all A9's, or just the early ones? If so, is there a manufacturing date that would indicate when a fix was done for new radios before original sale?
A lot of them have it, a lot of them don't, simply luck of the draw. On another forum site that RCU doesn't allow links to, there has been no correlation between manufacturing date or serial number and the existance of deadband. My serial number is in the low 8000's. Whether or not Hitec is now screening systems for it, they haven't said.

Jon
Old 05-23-2010, 09:39 AM
JIMF14D

Well if Hitec would be good enough to tell us if it is a potential drift problem or a need for future adjust me, people could decide if they should find a fixed resister to replace the added pot. The problem is is it a variable and how close would the resister value tolerance have to be.

I am afraid to open mine...

Mayberry should be able to help with this info.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Chancho

I was getting ready to go fly, but will have to wait to charge the radio. This is about the third time that I have accidentally left my radio on and totally drained the battery. I wonder how the guys with the Li-Po's are fairing with the transmitter?I'm sure there are a few dead Li-Po's out there from leaving the radio on.Time toquick charge...
Old 05-23-2010, 02:48 PM
lafjax

In some of the programming set ups I see "ACC:" and "OST:" They are just mentioned in the manual but no explaination as to what they do or what they are used for. What are they and what are they used for?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: lafjax In some of the programming set ups I see "ACC:" and "OST:" They are just mentioned in the manual but no explaination as to what they do or what they are used for. What are they and what are they used for?
OST = Servo Offset.
ACC = Acceleration (for asymmetrical servo travel)

These are accessed viathe [Programmable Mixes] screen.
Best understood by setting up an Optima on bench and two servossitting side by side pluggedinto say Aileron &Elevatorchannels.(connect RXbattery)
Enter Settings>Model> [P.Mixes] > mix AIL<>Elev. Then apply 75% ACC and watch what happens when you move the sticks together and separately. Repeat with OST. Handy featuires.

Regards
Alan T.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:40 AM
ss40

ORIGINAL: Chancho

I was getting ready to go fly, but will have to wait to charge the radio. This is about the third time that I have accidentally left my radio on and totally drained the battery. I wonder how the guys with the Li-Po's are fairing with the transmitter? I'm sure there are a few dead Li-Po's out there from leaving the radio on. Time to quick charge...
My Lipo`s were doing just fine in the TX, but now that I`ve put it in writing I`ll probably lose one tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:10 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

Ithink it would sort it out because Iam pretty sure there is some type of code the tranmitter sends out at binding to a Rx. That tells the RX, "belong to me" Tells all the Rx that. Then the scan algorithum in the TX and Rx enables the Rx to know "where the Tx is going next in the scan/channels or what channels to use. Idon't know the details for the A9 system but Isuspect it works along these lines when in Normal mode.

Also, Idon't think the A9 system ever works on a single channel. In normal mode it always hopping over say 20 channels. Only God and some software guru in South Korea probably knows what they are. And Jack Bowers' guys could figure it out with a super duper scan rx and associated computer analysis.

Also, failsafe is probably a Rx memory function. You set the Tx where you want the controls to be if the TX to RX link is lost and the RX remembers those commands when you do the RX button push and wait 5 seconds on the Rx failsafe set up and goes there when the signal is lost for some time untill the link picks up again or they stay there till the plane "lands" ....crashes in the failsafe settings.

If you set failsafe for your engine at idle trim and then in flight or on the bench you moved the trim button way up and then turned off the TX the throttle should go to idle, not the recent trim setting.

True FHSS is where the TX sends with the information an IDcode for the Rx to recognise it, the command e.g. left aileron down right up, and the information about where to look (whatfrequency) for the next command. this is how Futaba works.

The Hitec in SCAN mode should followa similar methodology.

What I find puzzling is the need to rebind. Binding is merely the Tx telling the RX, "Hi I'm Tx model A218372 of 1.36x10^9 or something like that and the Rx is now recognises the Tx name everytime a command is sent. So the ID tells the Rx Hi honey I'm home followed by the command "Whats for dinner" Followed by the I'm going to be in the lounge reading the paper.
So now the Rx knows to deliver the dinner to the Living room.
However once the Rx is married to the Tx there should be no need for the Rx to unbind itself because it can;'t see anyother Tx's
If the Tx and Rx become unbound in the switch from Normal mode (single channel)to Scan (FH) then there is a design fault in the system.

Its like a wife looking for a new husband because the previous one makes more money!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.