Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 04-06-2019, 01:33 AM
  #39926  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default



It's just been in and out of the shop for a cut and polish,the main colour is chrysler deep cherry crystal red.

I hope you guys will excuse a pic of the whole bike cheers
Old 04-06-2019, 03:20 AM
  #39927  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default



Saito 65 with Chrysler red cylinder.
Beautiful work Pete, I am going to post my 65 and see how close the colour is, it's a Chrysler colour also.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:13 AM
  #39928  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy


Saito 65 with Chrysler red cylinder.
Beautiful work Pete, I am going to post my 65 and see how close the colour is, it's a Chrysler colour also.
Shouldn't that be "Hemi Orange"?

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 04-06-2019 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:18 AM
  #39929  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

It could be, I still have the can, I think.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:29 AM
  #39930  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,524
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Those older Saitos with airbleed carbs; has anyone noticed that they are more sensitive to fuel pickup height in relation to the spraybar? For example leaned out properly at idle when a tail dragger is at rest on the ground and then richening drastically if the tail is lifted up to a level flight position? I ask because I have a airbleed 2S that is giving me fits in a tail dragger and was wondering if that's just one of the characteristics of airbleed carbs.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:55 AM
  #39931  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

It doesn't seem to be, my little Saito 30 has been a tail dragger LT 25, it never called any attention to itself that way. Most air bleeds close the inlet hole the instant that the throttle starts to open.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:40 AM
  #39932  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,712
Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart


It's just been in and out of the shop for a cut and polish,the main colour is chrysler deep cherry crystal red.

I hope you guys will excuse a pic of the whole bike cheers

Geez,
Those things are about as wide as a three row corn picker.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:19 AM
  #39933  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,524
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
It doesn't seem to be, my little Saito 30 has been a tail dragger LT 25, it never called any attention to itself that way. Most air bleeds close the inlet hole the instant that the throttle starts to open.
OK thanks. I started a thread here for those interested.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow...l#post12516265
Old 04-06-2019, 09:25 AM
  #39934  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,524
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open



Geez,
Those things are about as wide as a three row corn picker.
And HEAVY too. I used to ride my friend's Road King on visits. I remember the first time I lifted it off the side stand and wondering whether or not I could ever pick it back up if I ever laid it down. They are deceivingly powerful too.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:48 AM
  #39935  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,712
Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
And HEAVY too. I used to ride my friend's Road King on visits. I remember the first time I lifted it off the side stand and wondering whether or not I could ever pick it back up if I ever laid it down. They are deceivingly powerful too.
Heavy, yes, a bit.
Not hard to out run though
Old 04-06-2019, 09:54 AM
  #39936  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,524
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open


Heavy, yes, a bit.
Not hard to out run though
Now now Gary, some of your type A is leaking out, not as bad as the oil leaks on older Hogs but still leaking out some.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:13 AM
  #39937  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart


Anzac day coming up shortly here in aussie,it's a big deal for aussies and kiwi's.This pic left hand side of harley fuel tank i painted for the parade.
Pete,,,, you make such beautiful art, that is just wonderful, and all without lacquer,

we have an airbrush artiest over here that is Native American, he has been the guy to go to since the early 70s to paint your Harleys, my brother had a old 60s chopper, with a 6ft long forks, I believe it was a springer LOL because it had the springs LOL I was just a kid, any hoo, he had the tear drop tank painted in a desert seen with mountains in the back, and 2 choppers with babes in shorts with bikini tops on the back of the bikes and the bikers with beards and one with no shirt, of course there was the son and a rattler, and a coyote,, it had the Sportster engine, the bike and engine was all totally rebuilt, LOL it was great, but as the bike got older you could see the lacquer had started cracking under the clear coat

keep it up Pete

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 04-06-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:32 AM
  #39938  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Ok, I knew xoar props pulled engines down more than equivalent sized apc props but that much? Wow
sorry, I should have listed the numbers for the Magnum 180Fr, those numbers are so interesting I have not forgot them

APC 17X8,,,,,,,,8800
Xoar 18X8,,,,,,,8200
Xoar 17X6,,,,,,,8600

the numbers were just rounded off, you could add another 40, 50 or 60 and it wont changing things much, but ether way I know you got the drift in differences

Jim
Old 04-06-2019, 10:35 AM
  #39939  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Those older Saitos with airbleed carbs; has anyone noticed that they are more sensitive to fuel pickup height in relation to the spraybar? For example leaned out properly at idle when a tail dragger is at rest on the ground and then richening drastically if the tail is lifted up to a level flight position? I ask because I have a airbleed 2S that is giving me fits in a tail dragger and was wondering if that's just one of the characteristics of airbleed carbs.
i have had a few two strokes and I have a few Saito that have the air bleed carb. And they donít seem to be a problem.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:47 AM
  #39940  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
It still has the stock carb Jim. Has anyone seen power gains from going to a larger carb?
you know I was thinking last night, as I said, my FA100's manifold will fit my 82's head, but it's longer than the 82's manifold, well I was wonder if you try the 100's manifold on your 82 maybe you should first try it without shortening the 100's manifold, I am just wondering how well the longer manifold will work on the 82, for that mater you could try the longer 100 manifold with the stock 82 Carb see if that makes a difference, ???
a mounting-adapter for the carb will be easy to make..

Jim
Old 04-06-2019, 10:50 AM
  #39941  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,524
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
you know I was thinking last night, as I said, my FA100's manifold will fit my 82's head, but it's longer than the 82's manifold, well I was wonder if you try the 100's manifold on your 82 maybe you should first try it without shortening the 100's manifold, I am just wondering how well the longer manifold will work on the 82, for that mater you could try the longer 100 manifold with the stock 82 Carb see if that makes a difference, ???
a mounting-adapter for the carb will be easy to make..

Jim

Love to try a 100 carb setup, don't have any lying around, do ya?
Old 04-06-2019, 10:53 AM
  #39942  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

see a Saito 125 NIB for $300,, it will probably be sold in 10 minutes

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...TO-125-4-cycle
Old 04-06-2019, 11:02 AM
  #39943  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

How much different is the 91 carb to the 82?
Old 04-06-2019, 11:06 AM
  #39944  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Love to try a 100 carb setup, don't have any lying around, do ya?
LOL well sorry, not an extra one, and I want to try mine on my 82, too.. ask Garry if he has one,, and ask about the 100s manifold too, if not ask on RC Groups, that's a must.

I was thinking about increasing my 82's compression, but I am a bit worried about getting the C-Rod off 90 degrees a bit to the crank's pin

Jim
Old 04-06-2019, 11:09 AM
  #39945  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,524
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
How much different is the 91 carb to the 82?
Same carb part#, different intake manifold part#
Old 04-06-2019, 11:13 AM
  #39946  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
How much different is the 91 carb to the 82?


the wife is coming home, give man an hour or so, I will remove the barrels (it's the only way to get a good reading) and post the numbers, I have my brand new Calipers with the purple face LOL

Jim
Old 04-06-2019, 11:16 AM
  #39947  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Same carb part#, different intake manifold part#
those a part numbers are in the manuals, I got to get off line right now,,,, later, I promos

Jim
Old 04-06-2019, 11:18 AM
  #39948  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,524
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp

I was thinking about increasing my 82's compression, but I am a bit worried about getting the C-Rod off 90 degrees a bit to the crank's pin

Jim
That's what .0001" dial indicators are for. . For a mounting jig I used a 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 6" chunk of hard maple, dado a slot for case clearance, drilled and tapped engine mounting holes, clamped it on the mill, milled the top off, mounted the engine, mic'd it and milled it. In my case it measured on perfect plane with the engine mounting ears and dead flat except at one of the cylinder mounting holes, probably from an over tightened cylinder mounting screw.

Edited: There are better ways to ensure parallelism between the deck and crank centerline but so far the way I did it seems fine. I may make a 6" long slip fit arbor to insert into the bearing bores for reference measurements next time.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 04-06-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:31 PM
  #39949  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

numbers numbers numbers

FA100 vs FA82,,

Cab Barrel IDs,

FA100,,,,,,, .336'
FA 82,,,,,,,, .315'
difference,,,,,,, .021"

Manifold's IDs,

FA100,,,,,,, .348'
FA,82,,,,,,,, .330'
Difference,,,,,,, .018"

these numbers are good, meaning not so big of a difference where you would say they are to big to try.

and keep in mind that if you find an O-ring with a smaller ID you could try the 100's Carb on the 82's manifold, this is just something else to try because the 100's Carb Barrel's ID is only .006" larger than the 82's Manifold ID..

to add, I again, tested the 100's manifold, and it fits the 82's head very-very nicely !!!

The EDIT,,
FA115,,,,,,,,,, .332
FA125,,,,,,,,, .344

so with my numbers above I have to believe that my 100 and my 115 has the same size Barrels.

NOTE that all the venturi's I measured were a bit oval, by .002" to .004"

I was surprised the 115 Barrel was not larger than the 100's

I will edit my post above, and to add I have these numbers written down, you can ask for them again if needed

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 04-06-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:43 PM
  #39950  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,524
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Thanks Jim, good info

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.