Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 06:39 AM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Dangit, my dead saws-all was an old 18v nicad. Crap, looks like I'll have to buy an 18v nicad-20v li-ion Dewalt adaptor to integrate onto my starter. No big deal, I planned on that for for Hobbico 12v starter anyway. I'm just about burned out on lugging lawnmower batts to the field. And yes Gary, the voltage drop over the cable and clips can be significant.

I can't remember that last time I had a Dewalt battery die before the tool did but I use them for residential construction. That said, I've only had one 20v max tool die, a drill, but I was drilling 2" holes through steel girts with it. A new motor for $25 fixed it like new.

Dave, don't worry, the pic is plenty blurry. Sometimes it doesn't matter which direction the rod is positioned, depends on the crank pin and cylinder bore as to whether the rod biases toward the crank counterweight or the rear cover. Of course we must position the beveled side of the rod forward because you just never know which direction the rod will move, sometimes forward, sometimes rearward.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 09-12-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:54 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

My favorite cordless, I have several, is my oldest. Its a 9.6 V Makita from the early 90s! The only thing I have ever done is replace batteries and the clutch once.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Dangit, my dead saws-all was an old 18v nicad. Crap, looks like I'll have to buy an 18v nicad-20v li-ion Dewalt adaptor to integrate onto my starter. No big deal, I planned on that for for Hobbico 12v starter anyway. I'm just about burned out on lugging lawnmower batts to the field. And yes Gary, the voltage drop over the cable and clips can be significant.

I can't remember that last time I had a Dewalt battery die before the tool did but I use them for residential construction. That said, I've only had one 20v max tool die, a drill, but I was drilling 2" holes through steel girts with it. A new motor for $25 fixed it like new.

Dave, don't worry, the pic is plenty blurry. Sometimes it doesn't matter which direction the rod is positioned, depends on the crank pin and cylinder bore as to whether the rod biases toward the crank counterweight or the rear cover. Of course we must position the beveled side of the rod forward because you just never know which direction the rod will move, sometimes forward, sometimes rearward.

Yes sir and the rod lower end is definitely beveled on the side I put the F, the back plate won't fit with the dot facing forward. The rod sits about 1/16" off the crank pin when the dot is forward.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:30 PM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

If you do manage to kluge the rod together with the chamfer on the wrong side; There is a good chance of overheating the big end. That chamfer provides the needed clearance for the crankpin to crank web fillet.
Without that, there can be fairly high pressure metal to metal contact resulting in localized heating and possible failure .
Old 09-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Hobbsy

Thanks, the chamfer is obvious so I won't screw it up. This thing doesn't like the way I spell chamfer.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:07 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Yeah, nanny filters are active. like *** becomes ***. So now I have to spell it out, Why the fly landed on my Saito rocker, I don't know.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Jesse Open

That comment was not directed at you Dave. It was just general information in the sprit of the thread

I am aware that you know.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:26 PM
acdii

Hey question on bench testing.If the engine will be inverted, should it be run up and tuned inverted on the stand as well? I may take the 125 off the Mustang and tune it on the stand to make sure it can start every time. Wish it would be like my 100, back flips every time.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:00 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy

That's the one, then I have the next one down, Hi Tork, I didn't even know they had this one.
It's bloody green dave, are you pulling my leg? and how's the harley did you get much riding in over your summer...

Bruce my experience has been that bench running has little bearing on the flying set up. Tank position re height and distance from the carby is almost always different, and that dictates how you fine tune the engine. I've seen some amazing things made on 3d printers.

ps gary a long time back i was experimenting with low oil ratios and got down to about 10% but was doing a set of bearings once a year on one of my fa82 weekend hackers. One day i stripped an fa82 to do the bearings and noticed that i'd fitted the rod backwards and could see the bevel when i removed the backplate, no harm done so there must be a bit of clearance anyway? and i made a note to lay off the tequila before reassembling a nice saito engine in the shed at night.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:59 AM
Jesse Open

Pete,

The little bit of bench running I do is mostly just play time. As you said, the stand rarely duplicates the installation so the settings are merely ballpark close.

Regarding the tequila con rod turn around; It isn't usually catastrophic especially with our toy engines. They may have room to dance a bit aft. Still, by running as designed, parts do function better over the long run. Backwards can still bite your butt now and then.

Been playing with a cheap, new toy. Picked up a nice little USB meter that is made for monitoring cell phone charging. It reads volts and amps along with recording milliamp hours , watt hours and total charge time. I cut open a USB cable and spliced in some Futaba connectors. Now I get a good picture of all that data for my flight and transmitter batteries. Could also serve to check servo loads etc.
The unit has a backlit display, self powered and is a bit larger than a pack of chewing gum. I will try to post a pic later.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 09-13-2019 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old 09-13-2019, 03:19 AM
Hobbsy

I gotcha Gary, thanks for not jibing me like my 3.5 yo granddaughter, she says, "you got me gandad". She can't quite make R's yet but can say the F bomb perfectly.

Yeah, Pete, it has 7,000 more miles than this time last year.

The 50 won't turn when the this rod is on backwards. I had to experiment you know.

Everybody's been heard from except Jim.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:48 AM
acdii

Country living is so wonderful! I was down in my shop clearing a space for the P-51 so I could tinker with the Saito 125, and noticed there were paw prints in the dust on my Corsair wing under my bench. My wife had mentioned she heard something rustling and thought there was a mouse in the house. So, last night I put out some bait blocks with poison, laid one on the wing, put another up on the foundation sill. This morning I went down to check for any water coming in, we had some nasty storms and 6" of rain fell over night, road was flooded in several places and had to ford the creek with my Ford. Anyway, I walked over to the wing and noticed the block was gone and new paw prints in the dust. Let me tell you, these were not mouse prints unless the mouse was hopping across on all four feet in a tight circle, this was something much larger. No evidence of the bait block was anywhere to be found. I then checked on the one on the sill, found it was knocked to the floor. Hmmm, something got in the house.

Wife texted me a picture, then called me, I got the picture during the call. There was a rather large DEAD rodent in our den by the french doors. I was turning the truck around when she called due to the roads being closed from flooding, so I stopped and took a look. Um, how the hell does something THAT big, get in the house?

She called me back about 10 minutes later, she found another one dead on the floor!

Living in the country man, it's where it's at! Now I have to go down and inspect everything in my shop and make sure no rodents set up house in my planes and chewed on my Saito boxes!
Old 09-13-2019, 07:18 AM
Glowgeek

Yeah I know what you mean, country living is wonderful. We'll really miss this 160 acre piece here in North Central Arkansas when we move to Washington. Funny, I've never seen a live rodent around the house or shop, I guess kitty's doing his job. My biggest problem is keeping Coons, Foxes, Bobcats, Snakes and Possums out of the livestock pens. Seems like we're always killing varmits. The deer have really taken a toll on our 175 tree fruit orchard this year too. Wish I liked venison more than I do. It's not unusual to see Black Bear in our orchard and an occasional Cougar or Wolf sighting is always exciting. What I won't miss are the ticks and chiggers.

Still haven't put my fa45 back together, guess I'd better make some time for RC stuff before winter creeps in. It's been tough keeping everything up around here with my wife being gone for 2 months.

Gary, that USB monitor is a great idea.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:31 AM
acdii

You know, I just had a thought as to why I am seeing them this year and never had problems in the past. All the rain we got this year. It's partly why I haven't flown, or run up my new Satios. Been too wet. After last nights 6" rain fall, would not be surprised if more try to get in from the flooded fields. Our barn cat population has also diminished greatly. We are down to two females who are fixed, so no new kittens, and both males have died from old age, and one female is getting old too, her hearing is going, and she has lost weight. One of them live in the barn, the other lives in our garage, and she is pretty good at catching mice, so no idea where this huge pair came from, I haven't seen it, but my wife thinks it is a rat. Now where they came from, don't know.

Any way, on that 125, trying to tune it on the plane is tricky since the carb is hard to get to and the nose is short so doing it on the run up bench means I have to be extra careful to avoid the Scimitar APC that is on it. With the engine stand, I think I can approximate the tank height to mimic the installed tank height, I dont think I can invert the engine on the stand though. It's the PSP stand.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

I could it have been a young Opossum? They look a lot like rats.

If the PSP stand is built like ever other stand I have seen it won't invert. Not enough space between the mounting surface and the base.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:48 AM
Jesse Open

I have a plate type stand that uses "T" type mounts. It will go with engines in any position. Rarely use it, I like one best that nobody here likes at all

Last edited by Jesse Open; 09-13-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
I have a plate type stand that uses "T" type mounts. It will go with engines in any position. Rarely use it, I like one best that nobody here likes at all
I have a stand from Sexton over in Arkansas. Here is what it looks like out of the box.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-13-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

Plate stand looks like a good one to me.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:04 AM
acdii

I have the plate attachment so can mount the T mounts to it to invert it. I bought everything they had in stock.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:14 AM
Jesse Open

Can't say I ever bought a stand
Old 09-13-2019, 08:54 AM
acdii

Well not everyone has access to materials, equipment, time, or experience to make their own. :P
Old 09-13-2019, 09:19 AM
Jesse Open

I understand. Do what I can to help out. It doesn't really take much
Old 09-13-2019, 09:20 AM
Glowgeek

All the test stands I've seen here look very functional. Very nice.

I'm using rc engine mounts attached to the end of a sawhorse, the tank secured with a rubber band sitting on foam and a bent piece of metal screwed into the side of the horsey to serve as throttle lever. I've only rebuilt and tested a few dozen engines and so far it's worked fine. It's pretty dilapidated though and I really should build something better. Something simple.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:29 AM
Jesse Open

I like something simple and quick to set up. Something that handles a wide range of engine sizes and keeps them in a death grip. A little time invested in design and fabrication can save a lot of time down the road.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:34 AM
acdii

Thats what I liked about the PSP, Simple design that works well. By the time I added up the costs of the materials and tooling to make one on my Sherline, it was no less than what the PSP cost me. I will probably make a few adapters for it for other engines that wont fit the back plate, or the clamp stands, but at least I have something now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.