Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 07:46 AM
Glowgeek

Received 64 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Now, that I do not know, I guess it's not a criteria I would pay attention to. I will give that a little test and report back. I also have the VoltMaster about the same age.
The reason I ask is I'm assuming the better the range in sunlight the better the functionality in lower light scenarios. I am assuming though.

On a sunny day my cheapo GT Power tach will read stable at around 3ft. At dusk or during heavy overcast nothing without help from an addition light source.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 11-03-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It seems all have an issue under certain conditions, the little Hangar 9 I show above reads double when the sun is behind it. I do most reading from the front anyway.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:17 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Waterproof option. Comes complete with-snorkel and diving mask.

My very first photo tach from mid 1970s Still gets regular use, probably more than all the others put together. Very reliable and stable, for an analog tach. The analog are also easy on batteries compared to digital. I converted this one from geranium transistors to newer FET type. Battery now lasts 5 years or more.

A few years later, built this one.
From what I hear; Much safer to use them from behind.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-03-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:06 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My tachometer for today
Old 11-03-2019, 10:40 AM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

acdii, how bout a link to saitoholic thread. Thanx
Old 11-03-2019, 11:08 AM
Jesse Open

If old Gen Saito made a tach, this would be it.
Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
My tachometer for today
What?

Must not be raining.

I don't think my Ace Tach has ever been to the field.
The true-blue Old 1975 Heathkit Thumb tach has been there more than all
the others combined. In the rain too!
Old 11-03-2019, 11:17 AM
Hobbsy

The GloBee's are easy to read and this always read the same as the TNC, I compared them many times. Reading an Irvine 1.50 with a MA Classic 18 x 6.
Irvine 1.50 with Davis In Cowl Muffler.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 11-03-2019 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Add picture
Old 11-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Jesse Open

Of course they read the same. Why wouldn't they?
All of mine do too. Even the 40 year old Heathkit.

I don't calibrate one tach to another. If they didn't agree then what? How do you check calibration on yours?

This is the homebrew tach display I use with my test stand. Calibrated to a Certified Hewlett-Packard Event Per Unit of Time counter. Very stable.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-03-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:26 PM
Captcrunch44

Yes it’s raining yes I took this old tack to field in the rain
I think what someone was pointing out is that way would you spend good money on a tack when a lesser expensive one reads the same

also I do believe some just mention how they modified their analog tack so they could make it more accurate.

sometimes it’s just nice to compare one with another.

also dumb ass moment on my part when tacking a three blade prop. Make sure the tack will read a 3 blade prop lol
Old 11-03-2019, 02:19 PM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Yes it’s raining yes I took this old tack to field in the rain
I think what someone was pointing out is that way would you spend good money on a tack when a lesser expensive one reads the same

also I do believe some just mention how they modified their analog tack so they could make it more accurate.

sometimes it’s just nice to compare one with another.

also dumb ass moment on my part when tacking a three blade prop. Make sure the tack will read a 3 blade prop lol

Cool, I take it there is a less expensive tach that is waterproof but we still don't know which one then?

That was me who mentioned modifying my Ace tach to make it more accurate.

Of course people often spend good money to do ,almost the same thing. Not only that, they spend good money to do what they already have 10 other devices that do the "same thing" maybe even better!

How many people buy Saito twins that cost more, weigh more and put out less power than a single?
How many people have more than one transmitter?
Why do people buy Martin Guitars for $5000 when a $35 pawn shop guitar plays the same songs?
Why do people have marble floors when they can buy Pergo cardboard flooring, Why wet plaster?
Why are people snapping up these tachs as soon as they are posted for near what they cost when new?

The money part is all in how you weigh it. Some folks spend more money on cigarettes and booze than I spend on RC. Care to compare the usual end results?

If you need to ask, it doesn't matter. If you understand, good for you

Not always about money.
It is called a HOBBY for crying out loud . We spend good money to enjoy the hobby as we see fit. That is our business, Sour grape stuff aside....

I fully understand and appreciate how Dave will take in a derelict Saito engine, spend twice what it is worth in parts to get it running like new. I share that love with him. Do the same thing .

I mentioned in the VERY FIRST line of my original post regarding this tach: "Not like I NEED it"
Like I said, just wanted to get one while I still could. I like to study many different kinds of devices.
Spent most of my life studying and learning I learned a bit from every tach I own. It leads to making things, Like the tach I use on my test stand.

I like stuff that is well made, well designed functions well and lasts long after I am gone. I appreciate what it takes to come up with just that.

So, why do you need to fly in the rain?
Old 11-03-2019, 02:32 PM
Captcrunch44

The rain
well some of us have to drive aways to fly and when it looks good now and rain blows in. I am flying. I much prefer to fly in the sun or on a nice over cast day.
also did I miss something on that ace tack like a 3 blade setting.

as far as spending money on stuff that isn’t worth it
I see it all the time all kinds of stuff like the guy who puts a 10000 dollar engine in a pile of car. Each to his own.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Jesse Open

Good thing that I don't have to accept your value standards. Just don't understand why you are so worried about my money
I'm not worried about yours

Aw shoot go on out, have a smoke, chill a bit.

Maybe tead the old Aesop fable about the fox and the grapes:;

I actually think there is something else at the root besides money here

At least we both waste money on Saitos.)

Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-03-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:25 PM
Glowgeek

I waste money on Saitos and love every minute of it!

So just when I opened my big fat mouth about how an elcheapo tach was fine for me the #$@%$#@* thing just took a $#@/% on me. So I grab my other cheapo tach and it won't read jack. What the heck? Lesson learned I guess.

Gary, if your offer is still on the table I would be honored to relieve you of your Ace TM2.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:52 PM
Hobbsy

My TNC was the standard by which to judge all the others, to me that made sense due to all the hype surrounding the TNC. People used to make all kinds of fun about the GloBee's but if it read the same as the TNC, that was good enough for me. I point them at a florescent light to check, never had to calibrate. one.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:14 PM
Jesse Open

The Nishin is same as a Royal . Good function but the plastic case is fragile The older tachs have all served their purpose for me. I bought them all for something more important than simple RPM measurements.The first Heathkit did that I wanted to learn about them. They all paid me back in something priceless. I learned something from each and every one.
Originally Posted by Glowgeek
I waste money on Saitos and love every minute of it!

So just when I opened my big fat mouth about how an elcheapo tach was fine for me the #$@%$#@* thing just took a $#@/% on me. So I grab my other cheapo tach and it won't read jack. What the heck? Lesson learned I guess.

Gary, if your offer is still on the table I would be honored to relieve you of your Ace TM2.

Sure,was that the Royal or the Ace? Your choice but the Royal is a better tach. I have a spare Ace anyhow so either one is fine. They work well with the sun in front of or behind the prop.

BTW, When you get the new tach Send me your dead disposables. I can probably fix them, better than new. I check calibration linearity at several points. Not just the AC line frequency .

Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-03-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:28 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by triumphman49
acdii, how bout a link to saitoholic thread. Thanx
Look around, you are already in it. I'm the only one crazy enough to admit it.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Jesse Open

Speaking of Saitos, Comparing the FA-90T and the FA-91S. Which one is cheaper? Which puts out more power? Which one is lighter?

Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-03-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:50 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's right ! ! ! Got 6 FG's , 3 ch converted FA's (2 of them twins) & many FA's - most recently an FA45S. I'm right there with you.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:51 PM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Jesse Open

Sure,was that the Royal or the Ace? Your choice but the Royal is a better tach. I have a spare Ace anyhow so either one is fine. They work well with the sun in front of or behind the prop.

BTW, When you get the new tach Send me your dead disposables. I can probably fix them, better than new. I check calibration linearity at several points. Not just the AC line frequency .
The AceRc Tach Master II in your pic would be great. I like the larger meter face for easy reading.

My new GT Power tach may just have a weak 3 volt CR2032 battery. It came with a dead battery installed and a spare. The spare worked fine for 2 weeks but now reads 2.78v. I'll try a new batt and report back.

My other tach is not for rc, it doesn't have prop selection and for the most part requires reflective tape to read stable. A total $18 pile and probably not worth trying to fix. I'll send it if you want it though.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:55 PM
Glowgeek

I just received a cam in mail, thanks to Crunchy, my fa45 is soon to be an "s".
Old 11-03-2019, 05:13 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

My one and only tact is a GloBee. It works well enough for me if I remember to keep a fresh battery in it.

Triumphman49 I agree with acdii he was just the first to admit his addiction. I would point out none of the Saitoholics here are looking for cure either!
Old 11-03-2019, 05:19 PM
Captcrunch44

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
My one and only tact is a GloBee. It works well enough for me if I remember to keep a fresh battery in it.

Triumphman49 I agree with acdii he was just the first to admit his addiction. I would point out none of the Saitoholics here are looking for cure either!
well now I wouldn’t say that
I need all the help I can get. My stack of engine’s isn’t that great but if I see a good deal I can’t pass it up
Old 11-03-2019, 05:28 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I got admit I like a good deal too. I have a friend that just gave me a used Magnum .46 he got in an estate he says he had no use for. I'm sure I'll find a home for it even if it is just a 2 cycle. The price was right, as my son says I got it for free.99. It was missing the prop washer and nut but it did have the box with literature and muffler. Go figure. My son is a DAV that works second shift as a gate guard at a gated community. He broke my old electric pressure washer and wanted to replace it. Last week he brings me a free.99 Craftsman gas powered pressure washer someone put out as trash. The motor fired right up. So I hooked it to a hose and it appears the only thing it needs is an "O" ring kit to restore pressure. I'm sure the previous owner popped for a new pressure washer while I will pop for a $20 "O" ring kit.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
The AceRc Tach Master II in your pic would be great. I like the larger meter face for easy reading.

My new GT Power tach may just have a weak 3 volt CR2032 battery. It came with a dead battery installed and a spare. The spare worked fine for 2 weeks but now reads 2.78v. I'll try a new batt and report back.

My other tach is not for rc, it doesn't have prop selection and for the most part requires reflective tape to read stable. A total $18 pile and probably not worth trying to fix. I'll send it if you want it though.
Sure thing,

Nope, don't bother sending anything, just thought I would offer to fix them

To set the record straight.
I dropped in, first line saying :
"Not that I need one" then simply described the new acquisition. Didn't take long for the swarm of negativity from the usual places to ensue. Even though I repeatedly commented that the old Heathkit was adequate for my tachometer needs.

Clearly I was not trying to suggest anyone buy a new TNC but to hear some you would think so.

Great entertainment though

I will be sending you the Futaba digital as well.
Tachometers? Like I said I usually leave them at home.

Down with sour grapes!

Long live the zHeathkit Thumbtach!

LOL

Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-03-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:45 PM
Glowgeek

Everyone likes a good deal but a Saitoholic, as has been seen here before, will spend way more than the resale value on new parts and then keep the engine. A Saito-phsyco will take a perfectly running new engine and mod the crap out of it to impress anyone who cares. I fear I have both afflictions.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 11-04-2019 at 03:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.