Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 05:37 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Hey Mike. Please keep it posted. Hope it works!
Sorry, I don't own a 150 so and doubt I'll be buying any Saitos for a while. I was laid off at the end of September and I'm still looking for a new job.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:53 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I know most of you may furrow your eyebrows but i am considering my newer FG 21 to sell. it is my only gas motor and the ******* fuel requirement needs to go. Too many fuels, the other gas stuff (which also needs to go) runs different mixes. I mounted it on a bearcat last week and few it a bunch of times. I dont want to mix another half gallon. lol Think i will remount a 120 nitro sell it off.
Whats it worth on the market ? Probably e bay it away?
I bought it new from HH.
This might hurt.

I know what you mean, I have to carry 2 different cans, 20:1 for the Saito, and 32:1 for the DLE. The DA100 is 50:1. Good news is on the 50:1 my chain saw and weed trimmer use the same gas, and some guys I heard run the DLE on 50:1 and have not had any problems. I would NOT run the saitos at 32:1 or 50:1, since they are glow motors with a spark plug. My NGH 4 strokes are 35:1, but I run 32:1 through them. I also don't worry if the gas is "fresh" since I use Sta-bil in it, and have the gas in sealed containers stored in a shed under a carport so the temps are not that high or cold. I see no difference when running on fresh gas or 3 YO gas other than the older gas is a little messier with the oil due to the content going up from me pouring it back and forth between the field bottle and the gas can, some gas is lost due to vapor.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:29 AM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Anyone have a 14mm muffler for a 120/150/180 that I can get? This one's had it.

Any type will do, the style shown, the newer cast style or the older long cigar style that came with the 120 fathead

Last edited by Glowgeek; 11-11-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Good news is on the 50:1 my chain saw and weed trimmer use the same gas
I chose the brand of my new chainsaw to be the same as my weed trimmer for exactly the same reason! My neighbors next door borrowed it so in the two weeks I have owned it, it has been used to cut up debris around 4 houses and I haven't even been allowed to started it yet. The same neighbors mulched all my leaves in my yard, picked up the remaining small sticks, and put the generator in the shed for me too. It was a very good trade! Back to the chainsaw, the wife and kids give me hell if I even think about using it myself. I go back to the PCP om the 12th and the Cardiologist on the 19th maybe they will let me off the leash then? The new meds have seemed to alleviated the chest pains almost entirely.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:28 AM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I chose the brand of my new chainsaw to be the same as my weed trimmer for exactly the same reason! My neighbors next door borrowed it so in the two weeks I have owned it, it has been used to cut up debris around 4 houses and I haven't even been allowed to started it yet. The same neighbors mulched all my leaves in my yard, picked up the remaining small sticks, and put the generator in the shed for me too. It was a very good trade! Back to the chainsaw, the wife and kids give me hell if I even think about using it myself. I go back to the PCP om the 12th and the Cardiologist on the 19th maybe they will let me off the leash then? The new meds have seemed to alleviated the chest pains almost entirely.
That's some great news right there!
Old 11-11-2020, 08:34 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FlyerInOKC,
Sorry to hear the news. Been there, done that. It's a pain but you always seem to come out better once you get to the other side... Good Luck!!

Bob
Old 11-11-2020, 09:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks guys! Even with the layoff, the ice storm, and my and the wife's health issues I really can't complain, I know there are people out there who have it a lot harder than we do. The wife and I consider ourselves pretty lucky, we haven't been hit with anything we couldn't handle and we dodged COVID so far. .To top it off I have all great guys in this tread to hang out with too!
Old 11-11-2020, 12:26 PM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
In other words, I now have an idea how much better a plane could fly with a 180 and CDI. I guess a fresh 150 would have to be better than this beat up 150.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:31 PM
Glowgeek

Based on my observations and those of others the 180 is a very strong engine. My 150 runs great, my 180 is a beast of an engine out turning the 150 by 700 rpm using an APC 16x8. A .688 hp difference between the two with a prop that falls within useable range for both engines.

I have no experience with cdi conversions. Do all converted engines make higher peak numbers on cdi, or just some of them?

Last edited by Glowgeek; 11-11-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:18 PM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I know what you mean, I have to carry 2 different cans, 20:1 for the Saito, and 32:1 for the DLE. The DA100 is 50:1. Good news is on the 50:1 my chain saw and weed trimmer use the same gas, and some guys I heard run the DLE on 50:1 and have not had any problems. I would NOT run the saitos at 32:1 or 50:1, since they are glow motors with a spark plug. My NGH 4 strokes are 35:1, but I run 32:1 through them. I also don't worry if the gas is "fresh" since I use Sta-bil in it, and have the gas in sealed containers stored in a shed under a carport so the temps are not that high or cold. I see no difference when running on fresh gas or 3 YO gas other than the older gas is a little messier with the oil due to the content going up from me pouring it back and forth between the field bottle and the gas can, some gas is lost due to vapor.
Yeah' i can get it down to 40;1 for my Moki, and that will work for anything else i run. Everything else methanol. I havnt flown the FG this season so i mounted it up and drove the 40 miles to fly it and realized i picked up the wrong can back at the house.
It ran great the NEXT trip to the field. lol
I am thinking a 120 nitro, got a glut of em on the shelf
Old 11-11-2020, 03:36 PM
FlyerInOKC

I am thinking a 120 nitro, got a glut of em on the shelf
Well if you need to free up some storage space feel free to send one of those excess 120s here!
Old 11-11-2020, 03:50 PM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

For sure
Old 11-11-2020, 04:00 PM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Smile

Well if you need to free up some storage space feel free to send one of those excess 120s here!
That would be unkind,
i failed to mention they are OS 120's
An errant O.S. showing up may cause a cardiac event, or further glitch the power grid.
Dont know how far that excellent attitude of yours can stretch.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:05 PM
acdii

Well decided to bring my shop up to 21st century technology. I have this LED shop light with bluetooth speakers that has been sitting idle in front of one of my shelves. I put it there so I can see whats on the shelf, but for the most part just sits there turned off. I moved it above my desk and put the speakers to work pairing them to my laptop. I can see much better over the two 40w tubes that was above it. So, I just placed an order to 12 case of LED replacement tubes for my existing lights. I just have to verify the tombstones are non shunt, and rewire two sockets per fixture. That should halve if not more my energy use in the shop. I also ordered a 4 pack of cold weather HO bulbs for my garage or barn. Those tubes are 120 watts each and I have about 8 of them. I will try out two fixtures and see how they hold up over winter and good, replace the rest. That will be a HUGE savings if they work out. When someone leaves the barn lights on, that is 6 fixtures burning 1440 watts of electricity. The LED drop to 540 watts. My garage will go from 480 watts to 180 watts. My shop will go from 640 watts, to 288 watts, yet have more light since I got 5K instead of 4K. all my current LED shop lights can be turned off with a pull chain too, and I usually turn them off when not in use. Going to make a huge difference too.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:06 PM
acdii

Hey, I have three OS, perfectly fine engines to display on a shelf.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:18 PM
Glowgeek

I have five OS engines on the bench in various states of repair. They'll sell quickly. I fly two of them, an FS70S and a 55AX, both fine engines. None on the shelf. I'm not a die hard Saito fanboy, they only constitute 97% of my four stroke engines.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:25 PM
acdii

LOL I think Youtube broke. I was looking at Saito videos, and now things just sit and spin. I know it's no my internet since same thing happens on my Verizon phone that is not connected to my network. Strange, I was really liking how the 120R3 sounded too.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:32 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

acdii I have to agree about the LED lights. I had some old fluorescent fixtures that I could not convert. Tossed 'em. I went thru the house replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs 5k, 60 watt equivalent. Loved them. Then I started putting up the cheap Walmart LEDs in the garage er workshop They are 5k and 5000 lumens. I think they pull 45 watts. They are not linkable but I was not going to argue about the price, $22.I added more and more. Sure is better than any other light source I ever had. The 5k color is just so much easier for old eyes. I put 3 right above the table saw, no shadows when setting up for a cut. And the spot were my wife comes out to be with me and does some hand work got 2.

I will get more LED shop lights after we are moved and settled. I have 12 LED shop lights, and would say that another 6 might be just about right. But that maybe just my eyes

Ken
Old 11-11-2020, 05:24 PM
Glowgeek

Oh gee thanks guys, now you got me looking where to spend $300 on 8ft R17D LED replacement bulbs for my 10 HO fluorescent fixtures.

Hmmmm, or I could buy another Saito. Who needs lights anyway. Oh wait.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:56 PM
flyingagin

Yeah lights are over rated till you run into something. Or worse
Old 11-11-2020, 07:19 PM
flyingagin

What I did was line up most of my lights over the workbench. And over the main work area I put up double rows. Like I said 3 over the table saw and then the bench making sure to have at least one light right over a tool center, 2 being much better. Do need more to cover the rest of the garage. There is a lot of spill over light to the rest of the garage but more coverage would be a big help. When I dragged the truck camper shell into the garage so I would not have to back the truck out of the driveway every time I worked on the shell. I had to move the table saw forward (it is not right under the lights now). There are no lights above the shell unfortunately. I sat the shell on 2 cement blocks so as I could work on the inside. That is another reason the shell is in the garage. Those cement blocks had my back screaming. No way I would do that more than once. Age sucks!

The shell will go on the truck real soon. I only have 2 task left before it can go on. The latch has to be mounted ands latch rods installed. Then just the lift gate lift struts.

Not even going to paint it, till next year when we are in Kansas (yes our end destination has changed a couple of times, but there is family there). Don't have time to paint (or money right now). But every square inch of the outside is fiber glassed and then that got a nice butter coat of epoxy and the inside is also coated with epoxy.

Make some garbage dump runs and the mount the shell. Then the lights will come down and the garage gets packed. Should be on the road by next month.

We are going to have help packing and driving. A deacon in our church and his son are going along. That's a darn good thing because even when I could multi task real good I could never manage to drive to trucks at the same time (wife does not drive). They will drive the moving truck and I will drive our truck ( a F259 diesel) and pull our travel trailer (27 ft).

Hoping to be able to get enough land for critters, chickens for eggs and meat, rabbits, ducks, geese, a few turkeys (a few since how many time do you want to eat turkey a year), and a couple of goats for dairy. 2 or 3 pigs as well.

If family wants to eat our produce they will need to help. That is what was missing from all our other possible destinations.

Ken

I do have a build thread on the other site. It is a about a week behind now. will fix that real soon.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:35 PM
FlyerInOKC

That would be unkind,
i failed to mention they are OS 120's
An errant O.S. showing up may cause a cardiac event, or further glitch the power grid.
Dont know how far that excellent attitude of yours can stretch.
I would be forewarned so I could brace myself and steady my nerves before opening the box. Hmm... I could protect the power grid by keeping it wrapped in brown paper and then hide it in an airplane with a full cowling camouflaged with a Saito decal. The engine would of course have to be installed in secret or any Saitos present that might witness it would need to be blindfolded. I can call the airplane a stand off scale to keep any other fliers from looking too close.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 11-11-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:52 PM
FlyerInOKC

Ken, when you go looking for a place I would like to point out there is a very nice hobby shop in Wichita!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:31 PM
flyingagin

Thanks FlyerInOKC

I will keep that in mind. Google maps says about 3 hours. Were we are right now there is a hobby shop about 20 minutes away, Very little plane stuff. 90 mints away is a pretty good hobby shop. Flying is about 40 minutes away.
Kansas City is fairly good size. About 150000 pop. Likely a decent hobby shop.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:35 PM
flyingagin

Ken, when you go looking for a place I would like to point out there is a very nice hobby shop in Wichita!
Dang it I forgot to post before exiting the page.
I will keep that in mind. Looks about 3 hours away.

I will for sure be looking for a hobby shop and flying field.

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.