Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:43 AM
4-Stroke
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

I have my first saito. I feel it is like taking a Harley to the field. It is in a class of it own. Sweet sound- vibrates like crazy at an idle- leaks a lot of oil- and I am never short on power and torque when I need it. It is a 100 D.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU
Dear mister moderator, I know I made light of a Saito trait, but I'm fairly sure I'm not the only Saito owner to loose a muffler, or parts of it. They sell many replacement mufflers for a reason. This thread is about the Saito, so the Saito muffler is certainly ''ON TOPIC'' thank you.

Right you are, and I went back and couldn't find any problems with any of your posts. I know that a lot of people have had muffler problems, but I've been lucky with mine. I have teflon tape in case the problem gets out of hand one day.

I've had more problems with 2 piece 2 stroke mufflers a while back.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Walther
My Feedback: (1)

Does anyone know where I could get a valve adjustment screw for a open rocker 30?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:37 PM
leedees

I just put blue thread lock on my Saito .82 muffler that keeps coming loose. Did I mess up doing that? It has been so annoying, I was even eyeing my welder over in the corner.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:43 PM
w8ye

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It should be OK. Don't worry about it
Old 07-06-2009, 04:23 PM
leedees

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Thanks, w8ye. If not for you and the other guys on this thread, I would not be able to enjoy the Saitos, I'd have no other option but the two strokes.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:33 PM
leedees

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Thanks, w8ye. If not for you and the other guys on this thread, I would not be able to enjoy the Saitos, I'd have no other option but the two strokes.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:42 PM
RC Specialties

Gents,

I am in the final stages on the assembly of a Super Sportster powered by the FG-36. The engine was a very good fit and was lighter than the other engine options. I will be breaking it in with the stock muffler and then switching to the 2.20 size TurboHeader. This is to record readings for both and provide a report. I am waiting on a few last minute parts. I will also record an in flight audio as well. I am looking forward to testing this engine.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40925.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1230881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75687.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1230882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94483.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1230883  
Old 07-06-2009, 05:34 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Always got room and bring a friend! Bob

Remember it is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission!
Old 07-06-2009, 06:35 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: Chevelle

Now that we are back on subject, any thoughts on my question back on page 597?

Thanks.
Sorry, I haven't owned either version of the .90 twin. Hopefully someone can comment and offer some help.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:04 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: leedees

I just put blue thread lock on my Saito .82 muffler that keeps coming loose. Did I mess up doing that? It has been so annoying, I was even eyeing my welder over in the corner.
It won't work in the heat of the exhaust system. I don't think it will mess you up though. Here is a permanent fix to the problem.

#1. Use a metal engine mount if possible. These cause less vibration to the exhaust system.

#2. Cut your cowl in such a way that it can be installed with the muffler in place, if possible.

#3. Have a light oil, your muffler wrenches, and a leather glove on hand.

#4. Now, run your engine to operating temp. Make sure it is nice and hot. (shut it down)

#4. loosen the muffler and put a couple drops of oil right where it will be tightened.

#5. Use your glove and hold the muffler in place as you tighten it. Crank as hard as it will go in this hot condition.

#6. Start the engine and get it back up to running temp. Shut her down and check the nuts again.

Your done for good. It will not come loose again. This is the only thing that I have found to work, and work it does.

Over the years, I have tried : CA, Blue Loctite, Red Locktite, Teflon tape, JB Weld (yes, I said JB weld), and a couple other lock weld products, buying expensive after-market mufflers, all with absolutely no permanent success. Turns out that even Saito recommends tightening the muffler when the engine is hot. Go figure.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:29 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

ALL loctites can be undone by heat. It's always been the "secret loctite key".

Jim
Old 07-06-2009, 09:27 PM
jdkxtreme

I think I have my saito 82 almost dialed in perfect. For some reason it runs like a bat out of hell pulls great..Does everything great. But seems If I up and flip the plane alot then chop the throttle it dies.Any ideas? Ps. I put on a xoar 13x4 prop today. Holy crap did that make a huge difference.Takes off like a rocket
Old 07-06-2009, 09:43 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 72 is the first Saito I've owned that has the crankcase vent on the bottom of the cam area. It seems that mounting it inverted will necessitate the entire crankcase filling up before it comes out the vent?

Why didn't Saito just give the 72 the metal backplate like all the others?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: mike early

My 72 is the first Saito I've owned that has the crankcase vent on the bottom of the cam area. It seems that mounting it inverted will necessitate the entire crankcase filling up before it comes out the vent?

Why didn't Saito just give the 72 the metal backplate like all the others?
I have a Saito 72 mounted inverted and it runs fine. Get the tank in line with the carb, and tune it well. You'll be fine.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:18 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

It's only a vent for excess fuel should some accumulate in there. Like any other engine it's primarily a vent to allow pressure out. And some fuel does always accumulate, and the pressure....not the depth....allows it to flow out. Yep, it's a PCV valve.

Jim
Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

It's only a vent for excess fuel should some accumulate in there. Like any other engine it's primarily a vent to allow pressure out. And some fuel does always accumulate, and the pressure....not the depth....allows it to flow out. Yep, it's a PCV valve.

Jim
Good explanation and analogy Jim.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:13 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: jdkxtreme

I think I have my saito 82 almost dialed in perfect. For some reason it runs like a bat out of hell pulls great..Does everything great. But seems If I up and flip the plane alot then chop the throttle it dies.Any ideas? Ps. I put on a xoar 13x4 prop today. Holy crap did that make a huge difference.Takes off like a rocket

If your fuel tank is too far away from the engine, engines will behave as you describe sometimes.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 PM
w8ye

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 82 needs a 14-4

I run a 13-4 on my 56 and even watch the down run rpms with it.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:33 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I agree with W8ye, Saitos aren't supposed to scream, that's not what they were made to do. They are 4-strokes and need to be under some load. They'll give you some RPMs but they are made as 4-strokes to provide torque.
A healthy Saito sounds throaty for its size. You may have propped yours down too much there.

Jim
Old 07-07-2009, 07:12 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I ran a 12x6 on my .56. I liked the higher RPMs on that particular model, but never felt close to the max.

A while back. someone was running their Eagletree system with another engine and posting RPM results. The max RPM was all over the place and not predictable. But, it seemed from those numbers that 1000 RPM is still a good figure to use as an unloading RPM. I would be very interested to see what Saitos do in the air.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:06 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Have any of you saito fans owned or run a FA-270T? I am purchasing one through the classifieds.

I believe this is a early version with airbleed carb. I think the later 270 had black cylinders and carb moved behind the engine similar to the current 300T.

Other than that, I don't know much about this jewel.

Is there anything special I should know about this engine before running.

Thanks, Mike
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 AM
leedees

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: leedees

It won't work in the heat of the exhaust system. I don't think it will mess you up though. Here is a permanent fix to the problem.

#1. Use a metal engine mount if possible. These cause less vibration to the exhaust system.

#2. Cut your cowl in such a way that it can be installed with the muffler in place, if possible.

#3. Have a light oil, your muffler wrenches, and a leather glove on hand.

#4. Now, run your engine to operating temp. Make sure it is nice and hot. (shut it down)

#4. loosen the muffler and put a couple drops of oil right where it will be tightened.

#5. Use your glove and hold the muffler in place as you tighten it. Crank as hard as it will go in this hot condition.

#6. Start the engine and get it back up to running temp. Shut her down and check the nuts again.

Your done for good. It will not come loose again. This is the only thing that I have found to work, and work it does.

Over the years, I have tried : CA, Blue Loctite, Red Locktite, Teflon tape, JB Weld (yes, I said JB weld), and a couple other lock weld products, buying expensive after-market mufflers, all with absolutely no permanent success. Turns out that even Saito recommends tightening the muffler when the engine is hot. Go figure.

ram3500-RCU,

Thanks for the excellent post.

I will use your advice at the next opportunity. One thing stood out to me and that is the lack of metal motor mount on this Aeroworks Extra. This is the only Saito I have with the the loose muffler problem and it is the only one mounted on a plastic motor mount. Sure wish I had known that for the original build. I'll try tightening while hot and hope that fixes it otherwise I am going to have to replace the motor mount.

Thanks again.

Lee
Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 AM
jdkxtreme

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

I agree with W8ye, Saitos aren't supposed to scream, that's not what they were made to do. They are 4-strokes and need to be under some load. They'll give you some RPMs but they are made as 4-strokes to provide torque.
A healthy Saito sounds throaty for its size. You may have propped yours down too much there.

Jim

I have it tuned for 10,500 static rpm's.Down from 11,000..I also not looking for a screamer.It's on a twist. I never fly it full out. It is just the only prop I have had on it that gives me the best tourqe and rpm. Get's me off of the ground in a hurry and has plenty of pull out. Should I go to a 14x4 xoar?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: rcdude7

Have any of you saito fans owned or run a FA-270T? I am purchasing one through the classifieds.

I believe this is a early version with airbleed carb. I think the later 270 had black cylinders and carb moved behind the engine similar to the current 300T.

Other than that, I don't know much about this jewel.

Is there anything special I should know about this engine before running.

Thanks, Mike

I saw a sample of the engine that you are buying pulling a Giant Telemaster over our airfield. I was especially impressed by its trouble-free idle and transition. Top end power was respectable too. It reminded me of the First Ford Tri-Motor back when it was originally powered by only one radial engine on the nose. By the way, the one engine handled it just fine, but the airlines and the ruling government aviation department of the day would not okay a plane with only one engine for transoceanic flight service, so they added two more engines - one under each wing.

Anyway, the Saito 270 that I saw did a fantastic job of hauling the Giant Telemaster around, even though it looked small and inconsequential mounted on that large model. I liked it so much that when I found a good deal on an OS FT-300 twin, I bought it for my Giant Telemaster.

I hope you enjoy your Saito 270 twin.

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.