The FA-56:
Carburetor: $50.96 [SAI50821C]
Intake Manifold: $10.93 [SAI5669A]

The FA-40: (Includes intake pipe)
Carb Complete, FA40A/FA40AGK $37.40 [SAI40A821]

All from Horizon.

Bill.
Dave, Bill:

The 45 MKII is a different beast, and does not take the intake from the 50, or 56. I bought an intake a few weeks ago from an LHS, since it was for the 50, and I thought I'd found one that would fit (package had alpha code E, F -- the 50, 50GK). It was too large in diameter. When I looked up the part in the URL below, it lists alpha codes BD-F, II, JJ, so it skips the "C" engine, my 45 MKII.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...sai5069&CatId=

(Note: I'd suggest bookmarking this URL to find Saito parts, the Horizon site is a real pain to navigate to the point you can find parts!)

The pipe shown in the URL is too large in diameter to fit into the head. Also, it does not have the squarish flange at the cylinder head end, as shown in an old post picture from Dave (torque wrench). I looked up the SAI5669A listed above from Bill, and it looks just like the 5069 intake, and lists the same alpha codes, so it too, will not fit a 45 MKII.

Dave, if you can at least give me the SAI____ part number for the intake manifold, I think I could at least go to Horizon to see if they have it, or visit another hobby store, to sift thru parts racks. (And thanks again for your other info sent in PMs).

This has been a crazy one -- thanks to both of you for assistance in trying to solve my parts nightmare.

BTW -- I did buy a gasket set (SAI5032A) marked "E, F", so it is for the 50 and 50GK, and the rear gasket is sized right for my 45. I assume the other gaskets are usable, but have not checked them all. It seems the 45 MKII was a hodge-podge of designs. It is one of the few (only?) Saito that uses a 6mm prop nut. (I could use the part numbers for that, too, if possible!)

Sorry for all the hassles, but I guess if anyone has a PDF of a manual that lists the 45MKII, I'd appreciate it, or if you can scan a paper copy for the benefit of myself and others who may go down this insane path, that would be nice! (Or mail it to me, I'll scan, and pay round-trip postage on its return.)

Also, at some point I'd like to suggest posting all the notes and PDFs on a website so they are easy to retrieve. It might save Bill a lot of time, too , from having to send out so many items from ad hoc requests. Unless someone is dying to do this, I'll offer up my website, if interested.

Cheers,

Lee
Old 03-07-2006, 11:31 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Hoot:

My problem is with the 100 Saito! I filled the engine with after run oil and put into a ziplock bag in a dry location, but when I retrieved the engine it just did not seem to have the same “pop†to it when I turned the prop! I disassembled the engine, and I was appalled with the amount of rust in the engine…
If you literally filled the engine with a good AR oil all we can assume is that the rust was there when you put the engine way.

… began looking at the camshaft and there is visual signs of wear on the cam, both intake and exhaust. But what seems strange to the wear is only on ½ of each cam. I don’t know how much cam wear is bad enough to lose compression.
Damage to a Saito cam lobe is normally on the opening ramp, this is where it has the highest surface pressures. If it is just wear with no pitting or gouging, it is perfectly OK to put it back in service. If it has any deep pits then the camshaft and the tappets should be replaced.

The majority of cam lobe damage is from running the valve clearance too loose, or lubrication failure. The clicking your hear as the engine runs is the tappets being hammered by the cam lobes, and the tappets wipe through the oil film, the resulting metal to metal contact wears the gouges in the cam lobe. Castor oil has a much higher impact resistance, using some castor oil in the lube mix will slow this wear greatly. Best is to use the castor oil and keep the clearance at minimum setting.

Morgan’s Cool Power fuel is a synthetic lube fuel. Adding four ounces of castor oil per gallon will make it a lot better for the Saito engines. Or you could switch to Omega fuel, it already has the castor oil in the blend.

Hope this helps, at least a little bit.

Bill.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:51 PM
William Robison

Lee:

An interesting thought, putting all the files on your site for easy download. If you really want to do it I'll be happy to send you copies of all the manuals, both new and old, that I have. Even though I have nothing on the FA-45.

Problem that I see with the manuals is that Horizon has withdrawn them from free distribution, they may soon begin to enforce their copyright and tell us we can't send them around or offer a download without paying a royalty.

At the same time, all my other Saito files are dynamic, constantly being added to, revised, corrected, they are all "Works in progress." If you posted them, within a week your copies could all be outdated.

And I really don't mind popping them off to people when requested.

If you see a way around the constant changes in my files we might be able to work it out, in any case I'll send the .pdf ones if you want them., and any of the text files you want also.

Bill.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:15 AM
lrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,

Why don't you send me the PDFs, and I'll put them on my site. Once some of your "Works in Progress" settle down, I could post them for you. I'll PM you with my work email.

If we face the copyright issue some day from Horizon -- I'll build a table of parts (ouch!)

Once I get them posted (in a day or so), I'll provide info on how to access. I have a resources page at work where people can download PDFs, so this will be a piece of cake to make a similar one for Club Saito.

Lee
Old 03-08-2006, 03:17 AM
hitcttd
My Feedback: (8)

Well now that i'm added, here is what i have:

65 - not currently used
91 - Funtana 40
100 - Extra 300 .60
125 - Funtana 90

Thanks for the prop inputs guys... come to think of it i think everyone at the field who knows anything is running 16x5.5... I just wanted to get the opinions of everyone else
Old 03-08-2006, 02:48 PM
mwarren400

Mr. Bill

Funtana with the Saito .82 crashed. Broke the excess oil fitting on the bottom. Got a replacement ...but it wont thread...it appears to be 3 or 4 mm. Am afraid to try and "cleanup" the threads with a tap and I dont want to damage the engine. It makes an awful mess without fuel line hooked up to it...any ideas??
Old 03-08-2006, 04:59 PM
sl1200mk2

Hi All,

I've got a minor parts question I'm hoping to get answers with. I need to order a new muffler assembly and manifold for my .91. The parts listings on the Horizon site are somewhat confusing and don't exactly match what I got in the box.

Here's what I'm looking for - again, the engine is a chromed .91:

I think it's:

1. Muffler - SAI91S74B (12mm: K,EE,QQ,UU) - http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SAI91S74B

What I'm confused on is the muffler manifold. Mine came with a straight pipe, not the curved one shown in the parts listing and search on Horizon. For my needs, I think the straight one works better on my U-can-do 46. There's two that I can find on the Horizon site, but they are for much smaller engines and there's no indication of the diameter (e.g. 12mm).

This seems the closest:

2. Muffler Manifold - SAI8075B (FA65-10) - http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAI8075B

Will this work for the .91 as well?

I damaged both the pipe and the muffler doing something stupid and can't fly again until I get the correct parts ordered. Can anyone help me figure out the right parts?

Thanks so much,

Wayne
Old 03-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Jack211

Testimonial for Bill:

Last night I installed the velocity stack in the 82a, using an outsize o-ring that created an oval because the sides squeezed it in a bit. Pre-installation, I cleaned the whole area with rubbing alcohol, including the rubber o-ring, then I applied silicone caulking to both ends, to seal the whole and help keep the o-ring from ever moving. Then I added the Bru-line filter, which is a bit off-set because of the fit, but shows the circular aluminum top of the stack fully under the filter.

I also set the valves with the Saito feeler gauge-- a little tighter than I had previously. Today, on start-up, I tuned her carefully. The top end turned the 15 x 6 prop at 8370 and I backed it down to 7970. Then leaned the LS needle.

The first flight was 12 minutes (my usual safe time for the 11 oz tank). I checked the reserve of fuel (Wildcat 15% Premium Xtra) and had a bunch. The last three flights were all at 17 plus minutes, and I did some hovering and full throttle inverted spins, TRYING to find a dead stick landing! Couldn't.

Easy starting, no backfires, no flameouts. I could find NO telltale oil on the firewall--and the bottom of the fuse was clean as well. Wow. Such a simple answer which has virtually saved the 82a on that bird, a Twist.

Bill owes me a "Tol' ya so."

Thanks again, Bill.

Jack
Old 03-08-2006, 06:22 PM
William Robison

mwarren400:

The thread on the crankcase vent nipple of your engine is 5.0 x 0.75 mm. I checked an FA-72 and an FA-82, 5x.75 thread on both.
----------------------------------
sl1200mk2:

You can use any of the exhaust pipes and mufflers supplied for the engines from 65 through 100 size, they all use the 12x1 mm thread. Mix and match as you wish, they all fit.
----------------------------------
Jack211:

Glad it worked for you. Consider the "Tol' ya so" as having been said. And the regal nose (mine) having been thumbed at all who are still skeptical. The stack and filter combination just works too well to be believed easily, you have to see the results for yourself.

Bill.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:12 PM
lrr

[font="Tahoma"]

NOTICE TO ALL CLUB SAITO READERS:

Saito manuals can be found at: [link]http://www.uavflight.com/saito.htm[/link]

These PDFs are from Bill, and Kmot. If any of you have a manual not on the site, I would be happy to add it. Note that I've named the manuals by engine category, and year. Also shown is file size, since a few are quite large. Finally, a list of engines covered by each manual is listed under the link.

Saito has dropped coverage of some older engines in the newer manuals, so the older manuals can be quite useful for finding part numbers for older engines.

Lee
Old 03-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Lee, have you managed to get the part numbers for the 45 intake pipe yet? I'm going to call a friend after bit who just might have an old catalogue.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:47 AM
William Robison

All:

Saito part numbers.

Horizon's listings all start with "SAI." The next two (or three) characters are digits, indicating the size engine the part was first produced for. Some times there are letters included, as in "50GK" indicating FA-50, Golden Knight version only. The last characters are usually the index numbers in a parts exploded view.

Finally, there may be a letter at the end indication a production modification.

The biggest problem is that the exploded view that was used to assign the part number is no longer available, and even if it were you wont know which illustration was used.

Let's use the FA-40 and FA-56 carbs as an example.

SAI40A821 fits the FA-40, (40A?) and SAI50821C is for the FA-50. Note the "C" on the number for the 50. Modification from original. In both cases note the "821" indication the carb.

With all this in mind wr can generate a part number for the carb on the FA-45 as SAI45821. It might even be right.

just remember there are many part numbers that do not follow this convention.

Bill.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:44 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are not a "Real Saito Man" until you get one of these? They will be in stock soon at Horizon.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SAIP303

Enjoy,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30828.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	423117  
Old 03-09-2006, 01:37 PM
w8ye

Saito makes a throttle arm extension that will place the lever out from the carb to make throttle hook ups easier in some situations.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=SAI90R3131

You just remove the existing throttle arm and place on this extension. Then place the other end of the extension onto the throttle barrel.

The Low speed mixture is going to be way down in a hole, so it may be best to get a preliminary low speed mixture adjustment done before installing this arm extension.

Enjoy,

Jim

Name:	Mk25713.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	423132  
Old 03-09-2006, 01:42 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, what is the range of carbs that the extension will fit? It looks like this is the only one Horizon offers.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:48 PM
w8ye

This extension comes from the 90R3. The 90R3 normally uses a Saito 50 throttle arm. But so do the other normal engines like the 82, 100, and 180.

It will not work on the 30 and 40A. They have a different type throttle arm.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-09-2006, 02:10 PM
William Robison

Tim:

Pull your throttle lever and check the diameter of the nubbin it clamps on. If it's 7 mm diameter the extension will fit and work.

Bill.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:57 PM
lrr

ORIGINAL: torque wrench

Lee, have you managed to get the part numbers for the 45 intake pipe yet? I'm going to call a friend after bit who just might have an old catalogue.
Dave,

Not yet. I got the "45 Instructions" from Kmot, probably the same as you have. (I have posted this and a few new items on the "Saito" page of my website). I was discouraged to see that on the parts list, it just lists the parts by reference number from the diagram. Maybe no table of spare parts was ever produced?

Your help is appreciated. I have not called Horizon Hobby yet, so maybe they can provide further info, or even the parts. I was just hoping to go to them with a P/N.

Thanks,

Lee
Old 03-09-2006, 06:41 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

You are not a "Real Saito Man" until you get one of these? They will be in stock soon at Horizon.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SAIP303

Enjoy,

Jim
WOW, thanks Jim, im needing a replacement soon and will order it

Name:	Bz76984.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	423261  
Old 03-09-2006, 07:04 PM
William Robison

Gary:

I enlarged and cropped your picture, I was surprised to find you already have your Saito hat.

Haw.

Bill.

Name:	Lj21356.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	423269  
Old 03-09-2006, 07:38 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks Bill, that hat sure does look good on my headsaito should pay for an ad like that[X(]
Old 03-09-2006, 07:44 PM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Gary,
Shoot!!!!!!!!!
You've got the limited edition, pro-modeler, red label one too!!!!
JLK
Old 03-09-2006, 08:10 PM
w8ye

That's a cool looking can of green label cactus squeezings too
Old 03-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Something looks suspicious about that Saito hat. Two faced?

Name:	Gd93518.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	423296  
Old 03-09-2006, 09:31 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fixed your hat Gary; no need to thank me:

Name:	Gd94009.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	423341  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.