Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Curare build

Old 12-22-2006, 01:23 PM
handglider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Curare build

I am starting a Curare build from MAN plans. I am making templates for formers, fuse sides, cores etc in the next week. Has anyone recently built a MAN Curare - is there anything that might need changed from the plans?

I've got some really nice contest wood and a 20 some year old NIB Webra Speed 61 rear that will be the heart beat....

I also have a Super Curare fiberglass kit that I'll be working on as well. I've got a YS 61 rear lined up for that build....

I'll have some photo's next week when I start cutting wood : )

cheers,

Dean

Old 12-22-2006, 02:39 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Curare build

I am currently scratching a Curare from the MAN planes. I built and flew one in competition back in the mid 70's when the plan came out. Great plane even if the plans aren't the best.

I already have the stab and the wing mostly done. I cut my own cores with thinner airfoils for a little more speed and reduced the wingspan marginally. Am putting the speed flaps on it as per plans. They worked great on my first one. Once I get the wing done, it's on to the fuse. Will be putting a JettFire 90 in mine. Will use covering on the wing and glass the fuse maybe; haven't decided.

Have spring airs for the gear.

With the JettFire spinning an 11x9 at close to 15-16,000 on the ground, it ought to move out. Love ballistic pattern planes.

Good luck on yours.

Jeff
Old 12-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Steve25

Hello Dean,

I've just seen a plan from MAN , it seems it's not the same as the original MK plan.
From one source ( close to Hanno ), I heard that it would not be a good idea to put a rear exit on it, as defenitely, the Curare was designed to have one UNDER the wing, for balancing- issues.
You meight save that NIB engine for a Magic , etc. If you would be in need for a Webra Speed, I can get my hands on NIBS and used ones ( Prolly have one to much myself ).
Concerning the plan , there are mods according to flaps, and changes on the tail, as in the other threat was pointed out http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5148232

Can't say a lot about the Super ( don't know that ).

Anyway, as a Curare / Mk enthousiastic, I will be following closely, and wish you good luck with the building as well as the flying.

Merry Xmass to all !

greetz,

Steven
Old 12-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Bootalini

I look forward to following this build.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:21 PM
handglider

I received the rest of my wood today - I have really nice 3" x 55" x 1/4 contest wood for the fuse sides - I won't have to splice 36" wood to build the sides with. So I think my wood is in order to start some serious building right after christmas.

I didn't know about the plane being designed for side exhaust engines - Somewhere on one of the curare threads I saw one with a rear exhaust engine, I thought it looked cleaner and I have been collecting rear exhaust engines all summer - I have the NIB Webra rear, a NIB OS 61R and a used YS 61 rear.

If it is really going to make a difference I would be interested in trading if anyone needs a rear exh. engine. Maybe I should just sell them all and get a couple Jetts...

I'll post some pics next week, I am excited too. This plane has always been on the top of my favorites list, since I was in high school, way back in the 70s.

cheers all, have a great holiday,

Dean
Old 12-22-2006, 05:55 PM
nxtdoor

There is no reason not to use a rear exhaust on the plane at least from my experience back in the 70's. Mine flew fine; won a lot of trophies with it. There is defintely an advantage to using the rear exhaust in that you don't have to take the pipe off with the wing if using a side exhaust.

Jeff
Old 12-22-2006, 07:13 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: handglider

I received the rest of my wood today - I have really nice 3" x 55" x 1/4 contest wood for the fuse sides - I won't have to splice 36" wood to build the sides with. So I think my wood is in order to start some serious building right after christmas.

cheers all, have a great holiday,

Dean
Dean,

You realize that it is really cheating using one piece sides and missing out on doing the wonderful splices! Just kidding! I didn’t realize that they used ¼†wood on the sides of the Curare. I’m looking forward to following your build.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:50 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Dean, I look forward to your build!

Here's an issue that arose on the MAN plans a while back. The root chord on the wing plan view is confusing. In a past thread I drew this diagram showing the actual outline of the foam core (blue and red lines), which isn't actually drawn on the plans. The green line shows where the core can be relieved for a solid wing bolt block. Compare the length of the red line to the chord of the root template on your plans. The red line is the correct root chord.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46931.gif
Views:	304
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	581990  
Old 12-22-2006, 08:26 PM
CoosBayLumber

I dunno know if you are interested in this now that you have begun work on a Curare' from the M.A.N. plan, but I have the A/C set for laser cutting. Instead of a foam wing I went to a wooden build up one.

There are just so many problems with the M.A.N. plan that I had to draft up my own using Autocad. I had a rough set of plans made up nearly two months ago, and a friend whacked the A/C into the ground at better than 100 MPH it looks.

First thing which has been mentioned here several times is the inconsistant wing chord and airfoil(s). I ahd to use an airfoil program to sort out the lumps and bumps.
Second thing is, gee I'd like to find a retracting nose gear that actually shortens up 1/2" upon retraction. I am using the common Hobbico gear set, and had to move a few things around at that.
Third, is the sides are actually 5mm thick. Says so on other plans, and is an equazion at bottom of the M.A.N. plan. This is a bit thicker than 3/16" and I had to make mine from old metric stock I once got when Superior was going. Am going to make up a few more semi-kits next January after I get some shop machinery going OK.

I don't own a Webra Speed, but have been planning on a GMS .61 for power. Good enough for my style of flying. No plans yet, but if interested in parts ship me a P.M.

Wm.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Sweet! Bring Ballistic pattern back!

I have a YS-60RE that I am saving for an EU1A or a Curare/Tipo/ Aurora
Old 12-22-2006, 10:48 PM
spbyrum

Guys

I have built 5 Curares for SPA use from Man plans. The first two were from Balsa USA cores. The last three from cores I cut myself according to the MAN plans. I didn't notice any difficulties with the cores according to plans.

If you are a purest, stop reading now. Don't want to ruin anyone's Christmas.

A Curare for SPA use requires a little modification. The engine of choice for SPA is a 91 4c. I prefer to mount my engines inverted, so I had to widen the firewall 1/2". Other formers and the nose ring were widened appropriately to maintain proper appearance. Mine is a tail dragger with elevator and rudder servos mounted well back in the fuse for balance purposes. The tail has also been stretched a bit for the same reason.

When building the first one, an old vet said I should reduce the dihedral. Don't do that. Build according to the plans and you should not need significant mixing.

If you're cutting your own cores, go ahead and cut and sheet a foam turtle deck, too. You can save a couple of days of carving and sanding and 4-6 ozs overal without giving up any structural strength.

I have used cut-down Arresti 40 canopies on all mine. If you want a clear canopy, I think the small U-Can-Do replacement canopy can be cut down, too.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:37 PM
handglider

Wow all,

thanks for all the replies....

I was already thinking about doing a set of formers and sheeting the top turtle deck as well. Doing a foam turtle deck is a great ideal. Looking at the plans - you can draw a line from the canopy floor to the back of the fin LE which would be the bottom line of the turtle deck. I was looking at that 1" triangle stock that that the plan indicates and the taper you have to create towards the tail would/will be fairly time consuming.

I was also thinking of doing a built up 2 piece wing with laser cut ribs.

What are the differences between the MK plans and the MAN plans ?? From some of the pictures of the MK Curare - it does look like the turtle deck is sheeted wood over formers - is that right??

Does anyone have a set of MK plans I could get a copy of ??

Lots of great ideals. Please keep them coming.

I haven't cut any wood yet : )

cheers!

Old 12-23-2006, 01:48 AM
pimmnz

If you can, then get a hold of the RCM&E plan (the web address is in the forum somewhere) all wood, reasonably accurate formers and shows the original (1975) Curare with the simple (Sicroly) type flap. Built to the plan with a HP Gold cup .60, mech. retracts with two retract servos and Solarfilm finish it flys at 6.75 lb. I can supply the original magazine article that goes with it too.
Evan.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Steve25

Hello Dean,

For now, I have a plan of the MK Curare 40 , but could be that I obtain an original MK Curare kit, then I could provide copy of the MK Curare 60 plan as well.
The tail of the fuse (turtle deck ? )is indeed sheeted wood over formers.

I also notice on the MAN plans that the wing is mounted by one Dowel, on the MK plan this is by two dowels.
Could provide some extra stability between wing and fuse ? Takes away some load from the place where you bolt it on.

Performance : the last ~40 flights was with an old FSR .40 that refused to perform at more then 60% after I closed my throttle from full. with 50 -60%Throttle , I managed to keep on making loopings, and climb out out of any problem. But I must say that taking off from grass with this engine was an issue, but I guess this was due to the state of the engine.
After replacing it with a .46fx, with the same 10x6, this was not an issue.
Unfortunately, during first flight with this engine I had a weird crash.

my point : no weight issues with the whole setup
Old 12-26-2006, 11:32 PM
handglider

Hi All,

the wood I have for the fuse sides will allow extending the fuse up to 4 inches without splicing. From a couple of posts on the "Longer Curare" thread I am thinking of extending the fuse around 1.5 to 2". I am building this as a BPA ship with 61 2c. with retracts.

I've got enough wood to build 6 fuselages - so I think I'll do two right off. maybe - one stock, one extended. Anyhow I'll cut enough parts for two fuses....

I am going to go with a foam turtle deck sheeted with 3/32 wood. I plan on making a set of templates tomorrow for the fuse sides, formers, etc. I am also going with a 2 1/4" TT spinner, instead of going with the stock 2" spinner per plans.

I framed a super kaos fuse today and finished sanding another project, which I will also be fiberglassing over the next few days. So I guess I got a lot going on. But I plan of focusing on the Curare over the next few days.

stay tuned... it's about to get dusty : )

Old 12-26-2006, 11:46 PM
handglider

here is a shot of the super kaos fuse in the jig, I acutally framed up the first fuse for the super k a year ago but the wood I used was really heavy. I cut out the fuse sides and formers a couple of weeks ago. I also wanted to test my simple jig setup. the curare fuse is a simple as the kaos box - 3 formers and a nose ring. I just got a super jig from Pete's RC, but havent put it together yet. I laid up the test fuse using west system slow epoxy - it looks super straight and level - we will check it out in the morning -

the other shot is the 55" planks I have for the fuse sides. this wood is really - I mean really nice : )

Name:	Qo39926.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	584210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28393.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	584211  
Old 12-28-2006, 10:01 PM
handglider

Hi All,

Today I did a little creative re-design work with the curare fuselage. I extended the tail 1 3/4" and the nose 1/2". I felt the nose extension was needed to fit a dave brown FS90 engine mount and any modern engine. That mount fits most 61 2c and the OS 91 fs - don't worry I don't plan on running a 4 stroke, this mount fits my YS 61, the OS 61, ST 61 and the Webra 61 ... etc everything I have on hand. The firewall will be widened to 2 3/4" to fit the mount. I also set it up for the 2 1/4 TruTurn. My total fuse length including the spinner should be a bit over 59".

I cut a fuse side template and it still looks just like the original curare. And I would assume that this plane would be total spa legal. I put cut one set of fuse sides and 1/32 ply doublers, laid it up with slow epoxy and the whole thing is in the press right now curing with about 200 lbs. sitting on it....

I also cut a set of formers, an almost straight taper from the firewall to the tail, I'll get it all in the jig tomorrow. I have a good friend lined up to cut the foam cores. Maybe we will get them cut this weekend..... we will see.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:49 PM
handglider

All,

I framed up the first fuse today. and the comments about the plans not being perfect are true. I came across a lot of little things that either are not drawn right or a least not to my liking. Nothing that I can't fix or work around here. Anyhow I've got a pile of wood and the next curare will have further mods.

But the fuse is nice and straight. I'll finish the front end cowling and motor installation saturday. I am off work till next Wednesday, so I should get a chance to hang out with my good buddy Mike H. of Black Magic fame and cut some foam.

I am having so much fun fiberglassing and painting my other build right now, I am thinking of painting the fuse and stabs on the curare. Of course I want to do it in one of the original color scheme of Hanno's.

Oh Pete's jig is awesome!

I'll post some pictures a little later...

cheers, Dean
Old 12-31-2006, 03:49 PM
handglider

pics!

Name:	Yw67392.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	587555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31807.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	587556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16952.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	587557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf93700.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	587558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz28427.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	587559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev24013.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	587560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xz52583.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	587561  
Old 12-31-2006, 03:56 PM
handglider

HI All,

just a few pics of the work I did the last couple of days. My "prototype" curare is slowly coming together. I hope to have a turtle deck core soon. and Mike is helping me with the foam wings also. I just had to stick that pipe on it for grins.

Does anyone know what pipe I should use with the YS 61 long stroke with something like a 11 x 11 or 12 x 10 props. ??? Any info out there on rpm's from the YS long stroke out there ???

The only tricky thing is cutting the fin leading edge and building up the body of the fin...

enjoy the pics!

Dean
Old 12-31-2006, 03:59 PM
handglider

oh, I forgot the sexy bedroom shot : )

Name:	Lj22287.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	587562  
Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 PM
handglider

The shot with the fiberglass fuselage is the original "Hobby Barn Super Curare" I have a fire wall to install cut out and ready to fit it. I've decided to use the OS 61 - ABC-P rear exhaust, robert spring-air retracts. I've got Mike cutting cores for this one.

should be a screamer : ) !!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:05 PM
handglider

oh, sorry there is a 2m ship - my Black Magic in the background there...

: )
Old 12-31-2006, 06:42 PM
nxtdoor

The fuse is looking good. That's the next item on my agenda. Starts tomorrow.

I have the wings and the stabs done on mine. Pics of wings attached. I cut my own cores. I have built bagged glider wings with carbon and fiberglass for years and this was my first bagged balsa skinned wing. Makes for a perfectly straight wing. They seem light two, only 13 oz. per side with carbon reinforcement.

Cutting and shaping the ailerons and flaps from flat stock took the most work.

I forgot how much balsa dust you make scratch building. Whew!

Jeff

Name:	Rp42233.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	587687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi83959.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	587688  
Old 12-31-2006, 09:47 PM
rainedave

Dean and Jeff, both of your builds are looking great! Have either of you decided how you will finish your models?

Also, Jeff, where/how can I learn more about vacuum bagging cores? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.