Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Redcat Racing Rampage MT V3- Let's review UPDATE: 2/24/11...gone...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Redcat Racing Rampage MT V3- Let's review UPDATE: 2/24/11...gone...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Ron E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Rampage MT V3- Let's review UPDATE: 2/24/11...gone...

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Look at that beast right there! Noice! I am getting really excited.
thank you, your truck looks great also... enjoy it.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Ok, finally got the linkage setup to my satisfaction. It isn't as clean as I wanted it, but it doesn't drag the brakes at all during accel and coast and has a good range of motion for throttle and brake.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM
traxxas_guru

have you run that at all? it looks sooo clean!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: traxxas_guru

have you run that at all? it looks sooo clean!
This weekend! I am adding a few more parts and then its time to let it rip!

I also go the Phatdad cover brace that ties in my shock tower braces. The 5B brace needed to be cut a little bit to fit the Rampage, but it fits like a champ.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:13 PM
rob64n

ORIGINAL: rob64n

i'm likin the attention your creating by your review, it's great. i've had my v1 for almost 2 years, it has been through several tanks, 2 national races, several fun runs at largescale rc. i've never had to add bracing, just a few shims in a couple bearing locations, and i couldn't ask for anything better. as a matter of fact my stock plastic 25/35 gears that came with the truck are still goin to this day, they may look like a razor but they just won't give up. so if you ask me, my rampage has been the best investment i have ever made
So what you are telling me is I need to quit overbuilding this thing and just run it as is? She will be run soon. I am meticulous with my rcs and I have to make it my way.

I am very impressed with the support, parts availability and the feedback on being a Rampage owner so far. Overall the experience has been very good.
not sayin don't over do it everyone has good ideas to hold up to their own driving ways, i'm very picky myself when it comes to building,lol.. my truck fits me and i did a little work to my dads(racetruck) but they are still night and day different, i can't drive his at all, lol.............
Old 11-15-2010, 05:28 PM
jamesfouquet
My Feedback: (2)

just run it already!!!!  lol. looks good    I am curious to see how this comes out a buddy of mine is about to buy one.  I went for the baja ss
Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Wire tie the fuel lines down, so they don;t get burned by the pipe.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Wire tie the fuel lines down, so they don;t get burned by the pipe.
Good tip, thanks. I really wanted to run this Sunday, but we went to a track that was electric only... This weekend...
Old 11-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Dale Gribble

After installing my Spektrum receiver and setting the throttle up, I noticed the steering servos are fighting each other when the remote steering bias is centered (with no L/R offset). The steering servos should be quiet when the wheels are straight and the remote bias is centered. Instead, the servo motor's are making noise; it's the same sound as when you hold a servo arm and attempt to turn it by hand when the servo is powered up. This means that one of the steering servos is pushing against the other when the truck is just sitting with the wheels straight. I will measure out the dual steering links and make sure they are the same length.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:20 PM
jamesfouquet

It must not be that cool cuz you still havent run it.  youve had it for two weeks at least and all youve done is mod it  you cant review a modded car its not a true testament of the redcat rampage mt as is......... RUN IT already......
Old 11-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

Man, that just sucks. I have never in this computers life experienced this.
My picture host site must block international IP addresses...
This is strange!! I am on my girlfriends computer now, all the pics are displayed here[&o] Well, now i atleast have the chance to read the thread properly
Old 11-20-2010, 03:40 PM
mooman007uk

ORIGINAL: jamesfouquet

It must not be that cool cuz you still havent run it. youve had it for two weeks at least and all youve done is mod it you cant review a modded car its not a true testament of the redcat rampage mt as is......... RUN IT already......

there are a few mods that need to be done before you run it or the first run will be a short one
Old 11-20-2010, 03:49 PM
jamesfouquet

I know with a rtr you should do some checks and make sure it is built right but this is a review. If you mod it out before you run it your review of a rampage is o longer valid you cannot accuratly tell people what they are buying with out running it as is, sorry if you dissagree. my point is this is not a review its his build up of an exsisting platform, a platform for which he thought was weak from the factory so it is taken $$$$ and time and still hasent run it.. I hope he is running it today!!!! I like the rampage and have seen them run strait out of the box with little or no problems.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:54 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

This isn't an official RCU review, so the "Out of the Box" review isn't what he is doing. More of a build review that is his style.

When the new XT comes out, I will be taking it to the PhatTrack and doing an "Out of Box review" so people can see what is needed or not for themselves.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:04 PM
jamesfouquet

honestly I just really want to see him run thi sthing and tell us how it does I know a few people who have them and they are awsome stock,  Well maybee they need a pipe.   just tring to get him to start having fun, kinda egg him on not piss him off.  he seem knowlagable on what he is doing and is probably going about it the right way.   I dont think he has posted today I hope he is out having fun and not sitting on the couch waiting for his to get here like me.  lol
Old 11-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: jamesfouquet

honestly I just really want to see him run thi sthing and tell us how it does I know a few people who have them and they are awsome stock, Well maybee they need a pipe. just tring to get him to start having fun, kinda egg him on not piss him off. he seem knowlagable on what he is doing and is probably going about it the right way. I dont think he has posted today I hope he is out having fun and not sitting on the couch waiting for his to get here like me. lol
Sorry guys, didn't get out this weekend... Rained pretty much all weekend... [] []

I will just have to send the Rampage to one of you to review for me.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:09 AM
Noom-RC-Thailand

My RC-Car

RAMPAGE M/T Ver.3 CY 27.2 cc 4 bolt, 3.5 hp c/w DDM thunder pipe...
Old 11-25-2010, 04:12 AM
Noom-RC-Thailand

ORIGINAL: Noom-RC-Thailand

My RC-Car

RAMPAGE M/T Ver.3 CY 27.2 cc 4 bolt, 3.5 hp c/w DDM thunder pipe...

Old 11-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Dale Gribble

This is an update... I got all of the goodies on and she is ready for a big 1/5 scale event next weekend! Bajahumbug presented by Team Chase. I need to break it in today, I will hopefully get some video, though it will probably be pretty boring...

I added the HPI higher RPM springs to let the engine build up a little more juice before engaging the clutchbell and getting those huge tires rolling.

I finally added the metal gears and metal gear plate. They are beautiful pieces and it all bolted together without any issues. The gears turn very smoothly.

I also added the HBZ roll cage loop I picked up from rampagehopups.com. This piece is going to keep the tuned pipe from getting mangled and protect the plug and wire. I like it so much, I am not going to reinstall the anodized blue roof.

I have to break this in and get my 5T ready for next weekend.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:31 PM
racetruck

Looks like you have your rampage readly to run have fun when you can
Old 12-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Noom-RC-Thailand

This is an update, my RAMPAGE already change to new engine CY 27 cc, 4 bolt 3.5 HP c/w new clutch design, refer below picture. this one can adjust the spring clutch work on low speed...

Old 12-03-2010, 05:05 AM
joester

dude that teflon clutch is stock on there?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Dale Gribble

Well, I had my first runs... It wasn't a total victory and led to some frustration.

Day 1- The steering servos blew out within 5 minutes of running. 5 minutes! As others have stated, the steering servos are complete garbage, even when two servos are having a go at it. I have to state for the record that potential rampage buyers MUST include upgraded steering servos with their Rampage purchase. It isn't optional. Even though the Rampage comes as 'RTR', pretty much consider it as a roller and be prepared to install your own radio gear.

I opened a servo up. The ICs that drive the motor are obviously underrated for the application. I might return the servos for replacements but that won't get me anything except more borderline servos... I might consider replacing the parts myself to use improved brand name parts and make the servos more reliable.

I replaced the servos with 2xHPI SFM11MG. These will get the job done. On the LH side, I had to dremel some plastic and drill some holes to get the superior servo to fit. On the RH side, I dremeled a little bit and added a little aluminum brace to fit the larger servo.

RH

LH

Also, the included 2.4GHz radio on/off switch of the radio is sticking on/off and the servo reversing switches also stick off/on. I would NOT recommend using the stock radio. I dropped Spektrum gear in. Onto the next thing...
Old 12-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Dale Gribble

Now, onto the body...

First off, the Redcat Racing factory TUNED PIPE warped the body! I can't give Redcat a pass on this. Their own option part causes the stock body to warp. The exhaust tip dumps in close proximity to the body and caused it to warp. There really isn't an excuse for this. Even a little bit of diligence would have caught this quality problem.

On the second run, the body cracked after a VERY LIGHT rollover. It wasn't a bad jump- I wasn't even jumping. I took a turn too fast and the truck lightly rolled.

I repaired it the best I could with cloth tape and goop.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

I have never seen a good RTR servo on a 1/5 scale.. But if I recall FG RTRs come with Hitec Servos and Radio.. THats the only one I know of that comes with good servos.
Yea my smartec servos failed (throttle) but I had a kill switch installed. It failed after the first tank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.