Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:33 PM
back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

Henry,
The CG Twister v3 is the same as v2?
the tail is all fiber and added more weight behind it!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:39 PM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

cg is always the same on a given wing design. more weight in the tail just means more weight needs to go up front to get it to balance, but balance point is the same.

ORIGINAL: back

Henry,
The CG Twister v3 is the same as v2?
the tail is all fiber and added more weight behind it!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:45 PM
back

Tumbler, as you added weight in the nose?
I'll use a Kingtech k80f
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 PM
ModellbauUK

With 2 x 2200mah lipo receiver batteries on one side and 1 x 2S Lipo ECU battery, located in the nose area just forward of the point where the canopy ends, the models balance perfectly with a Kingtech k80 on the V2 and a Jets-Munt VT80 (the VT80 being 3/4 of a pound lighter than the K80)

You'll probably need more weight with the V3 & Kingtech, quite a lot I would say.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:53 AM
chrispol
My Feedback: (9)

I'm planning to build one of these and use my jetcentral Bee in it around 14.4lbs thrust or so anyone try the new generation with a smaller turbine?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 PM
phantom_najd
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: chrispol

I'm planning to build one of these and use my jetcentral Bee in it around 14.4lbs thrust or so anyone try the new generation with a smaller turbine?
I have a P-60 that produces 13LB of thrust and I asked Henry of Modellbau if I can put it on my V3 Tornado and his answer was yes and it will go faster than the V2 and V1 because of the cleaner lines. Though I guess with 13LB it'll be leaning more towards being under powered and will definitely require longer run way for take off and will have limited vertical so I am not going to use it. Give Henry a call it's worth it.

Azzam
Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

P60 is plenty for the tornado, so long as you don't load it up with a ton of stuff, my NavyCat is 15lb 3ozs with a P60 and has unlimited vertical and has no problem getting off the ground short.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:10 PM
phantom_najd

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

P60 is plenty for the tornado, so long as you don't load it up with a ton of stuff, my NavyCat is 15lb 3ozs with a P60 and has unlimited vertical and has no problem getting off the ground short.
I guess the Tornado V3 will be around 17lb dry. So I don't know how would it fly with P60.

Azzam
Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 PM
TUMBLER

Bob Violett told my buddy the Bandit goes faster with a p-60 than a p-70 because the p-60 has more efflux. More thrust will help you accelerate a lot faster though.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 PM
rcpm5

my v3 booms are bowed.   when assembled to the stablizer i have to pull the booms apart 2 inches to attach to the wings.  the booms are stout and don't flex so the boom/stabilizer connnection is stressed.  is this normal? 
Old 09-05-2012, 12:06 AM
phantom_najd

ORIGINAL: rcpm5

my v3 booms are bowed. when assembled to the stablizer i have to pull the booms apart 2 inches to attach to the wings. the booms are stout and don't flex so the boom/stabilizer connnection is stressed. is this normal?
Were the booms bolted on the wings and the wings bolted on the fuse when you glued the horizontal stab to them?

Azzam
Old 09-05-2012, 03:15 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

Azzam you hit the nail right on the head, you need to bolt the booms to the wings first just like it says in the instruction manual. If you do not do this the booms will not line up. Roger I tried calling you back yesterday but no answer so I responded to your post and email.please follow the instructions in the order it says to assemble everything so no issues arise. If you need any further help please give me a call again
Old 09-05-2012, 01:51 PM
chrispol

Anyone build the v3 yet.. trying to figure out how to fir the elev & rudder servos, i have mini servos ds3421 and it seems like you can only fit micro servos unless you enlarge the hatch and make a new cover....
Old 09-06-2012, 06:13 PM
rcpm5

i have not glued yet. my first test fit was per the manualbutdidn't like the 3/8 inch gap at rear of stablizer. henry called me and went though a proceedure which i will try next.

ORIGINAL: phantom_najd

my v3 booms are bowed. when assembled to the stablizer i have to pull the booms apart 2 inches to attach to the wings. the booms are stout and don't flex so the boom/stabilizer connnection is stressed. is this normal?
Were the booms bolted on the wings and the wings bolted on the fuse when you glued the horizontal stab to them?

Azzam
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM
TUMBLER

i used mini servos. added wood blocks and screwed servos to the blocks. had to trim the flange of the opening so only the four corners had exposed areas for the the servo cover to rest on. not sure why they did not just make them bigger.

Anyone build the v3 yet.. trying to figure out how to fir the elev & rudder servos, i have mini servos ds3421 and it seems like you can only fit micro servos unless you enlarge the hatch and make a new cover....
Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 AM
phantom_najd

i have not glued yet. my first test fit was per the manual but didn't like the 3/8 inch gap at rear of stablizer. henry called me and went though a proceedure which i will try next.

ORIGINAL: phantom_najd

Azzam
I don't think the 3/8in gap will induce enough stress to cause failure, I wouldn't have cared about it if it was me. Could you please elaborate on the procedure you're planning to do next if it worked. A picture or two would be great Thanks.

Azzam
Old 09-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flame out today....she came in quick since I was low already....tore gear out clean....could have been worse. Bondo on the nose and glue and some sheeting and bam! Should e in the air tomorrow morning! Man, did I bounce her hard though!!!!!! She was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the runway........hard to judge flare.....

All good!!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM
chrispol

Mini servo's are 32mm wide on the body only micro would fit on that plywood as is.. no?

ORIGINAL: TUMBLER

i used mini servos. added wood blocks and screwed servos to the blocks. had to trim the flange of the opening so only the four corners had exposed areas for the the servo cover to rest on. not sure why they did not just make them bigger.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 PM
rcpm5

what is the best way to secure the mini servo doors to the boom?  i plan on use #2 wood screws.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:47 AM
TUMBLER

here are the dimensions of my servo and a picture.

Dimensions:
Length:
1.27 in (32.3 mm)
Width:
0.66 in (16.8 mm)
Height:
1.21 in (30.7 mm)

Mini servo's are 32mm wide on the body only micro would fit on that plywood as is.. no?

ORIGINAL: TUMBLER

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29592.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1800184  
Old 09-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Stobe777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is mine in Finnish Air Force colours. The roundels are old spares from the late MiG-21 BIS and way too big, but look nice. As the weather is bad at the moment, the maiden will still have to wait a day or two. The wheel wells still lack the plastic covers, I believe they are good to have...to prevent overpressure in the wing. I changed the main undercarriage mounting blocks to good solid wood-balsa is not the proper wood there...
The CG went fine on the mark without any extra lead-thats good. But the assembling of the model could be easier. The wing bolts are difficult to tighten in the crammed fuse. How do the others do this?
The bling-bling M90 looks cool...
TP.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99073.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	1801038  
Old 09-14-2012, 01:21 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To get over the wing bolting problem in the tight fus access I reversed the process, captive nuts in the fus and socket head bolts in the wings accessed through a hole cut in the underside of the wing with a carbon tube guide.

Mike
Old 09-15-2012, 04:09 AM
TUMBLER

getting ready to fly the tornado today and noticed the canopy does not come close to fitting right. sits way to high on the fuse above the ledge on the hatch. i thought i remember seeing there was an aftermarket canopy somewhere. can someone tell me where i can get one.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:20 AM
2FAS
My Feedback: (5)

Tumbler, Ray at Noray sales them. I have one and the quality is much better however if you have a V3 the fit still is not correct.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:39 AM
rcpm5

what a bunch of gas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.