Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:37 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Madpatty
Hello All JJ owners,

I need your help with the JJ1800 turbine which I recently bought.
When i tried running it with all batteries charged (Starter and fuel pump battery LiPo 2s 2200mah), the engine won't go above ~75000rpm with pump Pw on first screen of data terminal reaching 1005 units.

I checked all the fuel lines for blockages etc.and found nothing.

Has anybody had this problem before.

Thanks.
Madpatty
sounds like your pump is too weak for this motor.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Madpatty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by i3dm
sounds like your pump is too weak for this motor.
But it's flightworks 400B which is same as in other similar motors(good upto 40lbs).

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:56 AM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scratch what I wrote. Flight works 400 pump no issue but do make sure it does not have crud in it. You said you just bought this used, correct? Make sure the pump works well. I am trying to rule everything else out before you start to look at the engine. Maybe PM me.

Andy

Hello Andy,

The ECU is a Regal Electronics unit.
The engine was running nice at that rpm. No flames etc.

I yesterday checked the flow out of fuel pump (by bypassing the fuel filter) and flow came out to be exactly same.

Fuel pump was energized using the fuel prime function.

Thanks.

Last edited by CRX Turbines; 02-21-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:03 PM
Madpatty

Hello Andy,
I currently don't have other pump to try.
Can you suggest a fuel pump for this.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:21 PM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi... I really don't have any suggestions here. I think you need to have some alternate parts to start out. Make sure the propane and fuel inlets are not mixed up as that would cause you some issues but i doubt you'd reach 75k with the inlets mixed up. Without a known to be good pump, and real working knowledge of the engine you might be chasing your tail.

Try flushing the pump and running fuel through it circulating it for while. if it seems sluggish take it apart. there are only two screws but be careful not to lose the gears the pin or the o-ring in the cover. I would use 5volts to do this. I don't know that I lean toward the pump here but this is all guess work and I am a mechanic so I take known to be good parts and rule things out so you can deduce what is wrong without guesswork

Andy

Hello Andy,
I currently don't have other pump to try.
Can you suggest a fuel pump for this.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:40 PM
Madpatty

Originally Posted by afioretti
Hi... I really don't have any suggestions here. I think you need to have some alternate parts to start out. Make sure the propane and fuel inlets are not mixed up as that would cause you some issues but i doubt you'd reach 75k with the inlets mixed up. Without a known to be good pump, and real working knowledge of the engine you might be chasing your tail.

Try flushing the pump and running fuel through it circulating it for while. if it seems sluggish take it apart. there are only two screws but be careful not to lose the gears the pin or the o-ring in the cover. I would use 5volts to do this. I don't know that I lean toward the pump here but this is all guess work and I am a mechanic so I take known to be good parts and rule things out so you can deduce what is wrong without guesswork

Andy
Hi Andy,
I have the working knowledge of the gas turbines as I have been making micro gas turbines since like 5 years now. Made around 6-7 working engines on my own (just that they were not for RC purpose) but for power generation.

I haven't quite worked with this micro pumps as I never used them so that's where the problem is.
To me the pump seems to run fine without any sluggishness. And the fuel lines are surely not mixed up as the engine will surely not reach 75k rpm with 1 lb propane can for extended duration.

I am quite sure that its not the pump but in order to be 100% sure I need to have a reference point to compare it with. If anyone can provide me any symptoms of a failing pump. Flow rates or power draw at priming etc.)

Just some calculated guess work here.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:30 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

But it's flightworks 400B which is same as in other similar motors(good upto 40lbs).

Thanks.
it could always be an old pump / weak motor or similar.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:04 PM
arjan70

Hello Dazz,

Are you spinning the rotor with compresses air or with a motor drive and is your cradle sensitive enough to reach such low values and if re calibrate are you finding the same results? what Hz are you spinning ?

I,m builded the cradle with bearings support , still playing around to get better results , I must say its fun to actually reach better specs each time
Old 02-23-2024, 05:32 AM
arjan70

I have made a solid aluminium cradle, balancing comes close to 2mg now.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:38 AM
arjan70

Roughly I balancing the rotor first but then balancing the whole engine ,more accurate when bearings are seated in the shaft
Old 02-24-2024, 12:26 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Regal ECU

Hello Andy,

The ECU is a Regal Electronics unit.
The engine was running nice at that rpm. No flames etc.

I yesterday checked the flow out of fuel pump (by bypassing the fuel filter) and flow came out to be exactly same.

Fuel pump was energized using the fuel prime function.

Thanks.
I was wondering who sells the Regal ECU? I have need to replace a ECU on one of my Wren 54 turbines. Any assistance apprecieated.

dave
The following users liked this post:
jac v d heuvel (03-09-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 03:52 AM
jetrichie

That would be a discontinued ecu now so not availabble new but any of the older gasper/xicoy fadecs will work as well like the AU504 or AU605 probably the later AU10 can also be configured, lots of turbine brands use Xicoy ecu, kingtech jet central so other suppliers repair places might have one knocking about try turbine solutions in uk he does repairs on wren or email gasper and ask does he have any old ones lying about