Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Why do Spectrum radios use Satellite Recievers and Futaba radios do not?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why do Spectrum radios use Satellite Recievers and Futaba radios do not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:10 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LesUyeda
" It is essentially impossible to have an educated conversation comparing them on the forums. "

Sort of like arguing politics and/or religion:-))))))))))))))))

Les
Except that it is more likely for something to go wrong, when there is more involved. I would rather have less components than more. Also, it is something else I have to buy. Having satellite RXers has not proven itself to be better. It is just different and more. Just for this reason alone, I steer clear of JR and Spektrum. And no, I do not fly Futaba.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:42 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remember that a digital RX has a lot going on. The end result is some electrical and rf noise.
By having the basic RX located away from the digital circuitry, you can improve the sensitivity by improving the signal to noise ratio.
Then there is a signal blocking issue, due to the various parts of the model, and short antennas.

Anyway, the sensitivity of the modern 2.4ghz R/C receiver is quite good when designed properly, and top grade components are used.
It's also well to note that even so, the sensitivity of one RX to another can vary by a significant amount. In other-words,
a receiver that "just meets" testing requirements may be half as sensitive as one that is at the top end of the scale.

My Background, for whatever it's worth, or not!
Back in the late 1960's, I spent some time in the Navy as a shipboard electronics tech, and often the only on board tech.
In the Navy's usual manner, I was trained in general electronics and radio communications equipment, and then promptly assigned to radar and navigation systems.
(And expected to provide radio communications repair when the other techs could not!)
At that time, a large number of the older radar systems designed in the late 1940's and early 1950's were still in service on the small ships that I was assigned to.
1.5 to about 2.5 Ghz was the general operating frequency range. The low power radar systems had a range of about 20 miles, and the medium power systems
up to about 200 under ideal conditions. The medium power units were sort of a conversion from early antiaircraft radar, in that they did not have an air search antenna
and the appropriate display. This made sense, in that it allowed use of common parts that were available in large numbers, although obsolete for antiaircraft radar use.

We spent a lot of time at sea between Japan, the Philippines, and Vietnam in good weather and bad, and I spent a fair amount of my efforts keeping radars and Loran receivers
going. There are things in the China sea that you really don't want to run into in the middle of the night or in bad weather!
In and around Vietnam, we often made night time firing runs. During the day, we'd navigate visually, and record radar based positions to match the visually confirmed positions.
At night, we'd come back, and use radar to establish the proper firing positions, and fire rockets and 5" gun rounds into designated targets.

Decades later, I ended up spending a major part of my career in of all things, a specialized field that designs and builds equipment intended to jam airborne and ground based radar.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 PM
impulse09
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Futaba doesn't need satellites. Satellites are either a bandaid, or Horizon is trying to nickle and dime the hobbyist. What protocol is Spektrum on now anyways?
Old 10-28-2013, 03:02 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever notic that it is pretty much the same people that are crashing all the time. Spectrum had I say had sitll have with the DSM2
Systems of old. That being saie with the DSMX (Hopping) when Used is far better. Back to the same people crashing
if U look deeper U know what kind of workmen ship these people do and ainly their flying ability, NUFF SAID. JMHO
Old 10-28-2013, 04:14 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skillet92
To me this is like a Harley vs Yamaha argument. lol. I drive a Roadliner. in the case of the receivers I still look at the fact that futaba can do with one receiver where Jr with anything 7 channels and above require satellite receivers. does that make futaba better. no. easier. yes. and as for the comment above about turning the transmitter off before the receiver or the receiver off before the transmitter I can turn on, off what ever I want in what ever sequence I want and I have no issues. This hobby can be hard enough at times why make it harder our more complicated by having to add extra receivers or remembering what to turn on or off first.
As a safety concern, one should never turn the transmitter off before the receiver no matter what brand it is.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:31 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by drac1
As a safety concern, one should never turn the transmitter off before the receiver no matter what brand it is.
Especially if you have retracts.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:33 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Ever notic that it is pretty much the same people that are crashing all the time. Spectrum had I say had sitll have with the DSM2
Systems of old. That being saie with the DSMX (Hopping) when Used is far better. Back to the same people crashing
if U look deeper U know what kind of workmen ship these people do and ainly their flying ability, NUFF SAID. JMHO
And I hope their workmanship is better than your proofreading.

Sorry Hound Dog, but I barely can understand what you're sayin'.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:47 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by Kim Couturier
As I read this thread, I am struck by all the confusion.....all I have to do, is watch what happens at my home field. I can site numerous crashes using spectrum, which are very obviously signal loss.....I have seen zero crashes like this with Futaba.....pretty much sums it up for me!
How many Futaba users are there verses Spektrum users? If there are more Spektrum, then naturally there could be more Spektrum related crashes. Also with Spektrum being cheaper, would it be fair to say more beginner/lower skilled pilots are using them which appears to be where most of the signal loss crashes are?

Many so called "signal loss" crashes, are in reality pilot error. Example; the plane goes into a spin and won't recover no matter what the pilot does. Quite often the plane has stalled without the pilot realising and the pilot throwing the sticks around makes it worse untill it crashes. Then blames the radio. I've seen this scenario a few times.

I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular or being argumentative, just making a comment from my experience and looking at it from a different angle.

I've always used JR apart from a couple of Spektrums bought as RTF and never had a signal loss problem or a radio related crash. Having not used Futaba i can't comment on them. I do think many crashes are unnecessarily blamed on the radio.
As has already been said, there will always be arguments as to which brand is better. Always will be. If one particular brand works for you, then stick with it. If you are a new comer then go to a club and watch and learn. Ask questions so you can make an informed descision.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:58 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by eddieC
I experienced a signal loss on a Futaba 2.4 receiver when one of the antennas came loose from its tape mooring, allowing both antennas to lie in the same plane (no pun). It was like the receiver was turned off, nothing worked, and the plane sieved thru a tree.

We also had a fellow using Spektrum (DMS2 IIRC) in a Fun Cub have his airplane almost fly off by itself! He flew it, parked it on the flight line without disconnecting the battery or turning off the arming switch. Another fellow turned on his Spektrum and the Fun Cub engine started, and the plane taxied quickly across the runway and fortunately hit the hedge before it could get airborne. The thinking was the #2 Spektrum transmitter saw an 'open' freq and used it, as the Fun Cub's transmitter was off, and the open freq must have been one the Cub had been using. Almost had a flyaway as a result.

The point being, 2.4 is not the simple, bulletproof technology some would have us believe. We still must pay attention to installation, battery voltage, digital servo loads, etc., and after all that, Murphy still has his say.
This is why i like JR's model match system.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by MinnSpin

Spektrum is a good system, but without the satellite - range and consistent performance are greatly affected.
Have you ever tested a Spektrum AR6255 (no satellites) along side a Futaba 617FS? I have, there is no difference in range or performance with the ones I am using.

Both pictured here. Mounting them is identical due to the similar form factor.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	1934237   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPMAR6255-GAL01.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	1934238  

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-28-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Rob2160

This is why i like JR's model match system.
Yes this is a big plus for Spektrum / JR. I had two crashes with Helicopters on Futaba (both totally my fault for not selecting the correct model)

This was with a 6EX. With the more advanced models I own like the 8FG and 14SG it is less of a problem because you can configure the radio to force you to choose the model every time you power up. It won't power up until you do. These models allow longer model names also (it helps when one radio drives 12 different helicopters)
Old 10-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Okay, I was a JR/Spehtrum user for many years. I found myself rationalizing why I had "brown outs" and lost three aircraft (the last one being a brand new H9 Supercub). In every case I had the receivers properly positioned, 6 volt power supplies, all the safe guards and I lost three planes. I had also bought a brand new DSMX receiver and after the Cub went in I contacted Horizon, sent the receiver (and the transmitter) in for inspection. Hosrizon's response was I needed to upgrade the receivers software. To make a long story short, Futaba has been doing 2.4 a very long time and since I switched to FAAST, I have not had one single, solitary glitch. In my book Futaba is better than JR/Spektrum. JMHO!

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 PM
1UGLYPUG

Originally Posted by Luchnia
Good point - customer service could weigh into this. I do think most get excellent CS from Futaba though. Each experience can vary. As the old saying goes, "Your mileage may vary."
BUT,,, I have seen Spektrum replace two planes for one friend of mine,and one for another friend of mine,, Futaba will never replace a plane, even when they know their equipment is faulty, and replace the bad transmitter.... If their crap was so great, they would stand behind it more.... Since their customer service of taking care of the customer's loss when they know their equipment is faulty is non existent,,, I will never buy another Futaba. And, since I have not lost one plane with a Spektrum radio, and Spektrum is cheaper, there is no contest... Futaba looses due to high price and poor customer service that I have personally witnessed. If they won't stand behind their equipment any better than that,, it must be because they know what kind of crap they are selling....
Old 10-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Dave

DSMX Video

Let's not forget the DSM advertisement: "DSM is the 2.4GHz technology that's here to stay and one to beat"
The DSMX video is a clever cover-up for DSM fiasco. Turning on 100 transmitters on 2.4GHz band in the middle of no-where and call it "band is totally saturated" is ludicrous.
Our flying fields are located in urban area where millions are using the unlicensed 2.4GHz band. The video is also misleading since it makes you think that the 2.4GHz band is for RC use only.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:41 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Well at least this debate was civil.futaba developed its current 2.4 from technology it had discovered at least 15 years ealier than spectrum.while spectrum 2.4 is similar it uses the 2.4 frequency similarly.the best thing is that both work well and have made flying rc so much better.i did own a dx7 and in less than 15 minutes destryed 2 expensive planes.the brown out was related to the receiver not me.and the solution was at the time a 6.00 part.i went back to futaba.in fairness that issue has long been addressed.i returned to futaba and it was just easier for me to bind and I didnt like the other antennae unit.nothing wrong or inferior just different.both futaba , jr and spectrum have done an outstanding service to our hobby.spectrum isvery afford with futaba.but I will admit for park flyers spectrum is slightly less expensive and has lots of inexpensve rx.while I do not claim to know I ofthis I hear time to time issues with other brands beyond theses two very respectable companies.i love 2.4 and I love my futaba 8fg.
?..
Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

that has been A practice for ever ,,, 72 mhz or what ever.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Dave
DSMX Video

Let's not forget the DSM advertisement: "DSM is the 2.4GHz technology that's here to stay and one to beat"
The DSMX video is a clever cover-up for DSM fiasco. Turning on 100 transmitters on 2.4GHz band in the middle of no-where and call it "band is totally saturated" is ludicrous.
Our flying fields are located in urban area where millions are using the unlicensed 2.4GHz band. The video is also misleading since it makes you think that the 2.4GHz band is for RC use only.
Isn't that like saying... The Iphone 5 is a cover up for the Iphone 3 Fiasco because it couldn't access 4G networks?

I'm not complaining if technology advances and they release a better protocol (DSMX)

I am also extremely happy that anything DSMX is backward compatible with DSM2..

Advances in technology are a good thing..
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 PM
1UGLYPUG

In 1978, I was an AF airborne radio instructor, and then a satellite communications instructor. We had some of the first "frequency hopping" equipment installed on our nuclear carrying aircraft. These were like the Futaba FASST frequency hopping systems. What a pain it was teaching digital stream signal technology to some of the older analog radio guys. If Futaba had decent customer service, I would recommend them hands down, but, their customer service stinks. 2.4 Ghz frequencies, or microwave, can be blocked by metal objects and results in loss of signal lock due to poor antenna installations. They also work best in line of site instances. That is why almost anything can block the signal, including the batteries in your plane, the metal push rods, and even servo wires. Extra receivers/antennas can only help, which is why I like the satellite receivers Spektrum uses. There are too many things that affect signal loss to even start here. On the comment about signals conforming to the "curvature" of the earth, HF frequencies , or those around the CB band, don't conform to the curvature of the earth, they bounce off the ionosphere,, to travel around the earth. All frequencies are "line of sight", or radiate in a straight line, in all directions. Unless you are using a dish antenna or beam antenna, the signals will all "spray" or radiate in all directions. The high or low frequency does not affect the radiation pattern, but the antenna does. The tip of the antenna radiates the less signal strength. I see lots of people with their transmitter antennas pointing the tip of the antenna at the plane, which is the worst antenna orientation possible. So many people don't know the radiation patterns of antennas, and don't realize the loss of signal it can cause. And don't touch the antenna which can severely reduce the signal. Some study of antenna radiation patterns and antenna signal reception, would help a lot of folks on here. Just a thought on the speed of linking when turning on the Futaba and the Spektrum. The Futaba does not have the model select data bit stream being sent out to guarantee you only link to your one model, whereas the Spektrum has the extra data bit stream being sent out, and guaranteeing connection to the right model. A plus for me, as I don't have to worry about linking to the wrong model.

Last edited by 1UGLYPUG; 10-28-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 10-29-2013, 03:01 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Isn't that like saying... The Iphone 5 is a cover up for the Iphone 3 Fiasco because it couldn't access 4G networks?

I'm not complaining if technology advances and they release a better protocol (DSMX)

I am also extremely happy that anything DSMX is backward compatible with DSM2..

Advances in technology are a good thing..
I agree and sometimes though advances in technology can come with some issues. One thing is for sure, the advances in technology is why I am in RC. It is so much more affordable and do-able for me. I highly regard the current "cool" radios and such. I mean, I have one radio for most of my planes and could use it for all my planes, but I have been too lazy to switch the rest over

Another point to make in this thread is that it has been remarkably civil. Most of the these type of threads get stupid and heat up quick. We all know there can be electronics failures with radios and other equipment. I have stated a number of times on forums about an issue I had that I was 100% sure it was the radio and was totally sure Spektrum was crap until I discovered what was really wrong!

Sometimes our assumptions are not on the mark. I had a plane that would glitch horrifically. Guess what it was? It was a connector in one of the wings that was vibrating back and forth and would cause control problems! Every issue I have had so far I pinned down by doing proper research. None have been radio issues. This doesn't mean a radio cannot fail, it just means that for me they haven't.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:35 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Yes this discussion has been very civil .theres one on the myths of electric power which turned out just to be another bunch of posts designed to trash gas vs.nitro.this has been informative.i wish I could easily explain DSM tech theory versus FSST but both are superior to my old 72 fm. I still use analog servos in some planes but am gradually going digital and I am so far behind as I see new servos with high volages etc.the adavances in rc are exciting.t
Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 AM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Good Point.
I made a blanket statement. My experience references AR400 and AR6210 technology, which was not discussed by me in the first posting.

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Have you ever tested a Spektrum AR6255 (no satellites) along side a Futaba 617FS? I have, there is no difference in range or performance with the ones I am using.

Both pictured here. Mounting them is identical due to the similar form factor.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

I have seen much success in our hobby with all brands of radios. I have seen many other pilots have flight failures while using the 2.4 Ghz systems. Never once did I attribute one of those failures to a loss of bind or a data interruption to the receiver. There is so much more that can go wrong with our set-ups such as:

1) Insufficient battery power

2) Electro-mechanical failure-bad switch, worn contacts, bent pins, using worn components...1000 different scenarios.

It always seems easiest for a pilot to say "Oh, he's using a Spektrum and I heard this and that...don't use those radios because they drop the bind".

Realize that the companies who design and manufacture these radio sets, (JR, Spektrum, Futaba etc.) have incredible R&D teams who have done extensive testing before they put them on the market. If these systems were in any way going to cause the companies to be liable I am sure that they would not have put them on the market to millions of users world wide. This subject is based upon fear.

I use Futaba systems only because I chose long ago to stick with one brand. I do understand how and why the 2.4 Ghz systems work and I have never had a failure because I am very thorough about how I set up my birds-wiring, switches, sufficient good quality batteries with sufficient charge etc.

In essence I pay these guys lots of money so I can purchase a good quality product that I know works well when used as recommended.
Analogy: Sometimes I want to stick my head up a bulls butt to get a good look at a T-bone steak...but I'm more inclined to take the butcher's word for it.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:47 AM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All these radio use commercial chips in the front end of their receivers, and there are only two or three used over all the different brands.

Remote receivers allow the modeler to place the antenna in an orthogonal orientation with gives a better chance of receiving the signal. More important to the more aggressive flier.

The RF power from 2.4G systems is very low compared to the 72 MHz systems. But link equations to determine range depend on many factors other than just frequency or power.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:01 AM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Originally Posted by Instructor
Skidman,

I don't mean after the link-up has been established, I mean the first time you turn on the transmitter and then the receiver. Try it and you will see what I mean. The Futaba 2.4 links up much faster than the Spektrum. I know, I have tried it....

Larry
You said that the (up to) four seconds longer made a difference to you since you flew turbine aircraft. I assume that it must feel like a significant difference if you bring it up.

Originally Posted by Instructor
When I fly my turbine powered plane and that time span is 4 seconds longer, it makes a difference to me.
Since the longer delay only takes place during the first power up of an aircraft, why would that make a significant difference to you? The only way it made sense to me was my assumption that you thought it took a similar amount of time to relink if for some reason communication was lost.

Paul
Old 10-29-2013, 08:35 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Different tx/rx combos do initial link at different speeds - the Little Bind n Fly stuff like Indoor etc., sometimes take a few seconds - My models with 9/10 ch rxs pop right up .Ditto for the 610 /800 rx.
Getting a solid2.4 rf link is no mystery and claims of superior signal strength setups are malarkey for the most part - Like brands of gasoline .
Features are what make the systems sell today .
if you have a rf problem- check the mirror in your bathroom- likely you will find the real problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.