Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airplane rudder gyro

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:56 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airplane rudder gyro

Yes to Bomber Field;

I use AVCS for take offs as well, tried Normal and didn't like it; but I turn GYRO off completley, once in the Air, I don't leave the GYRO on when flying, not even in Normal; in fact, with my method, NORMAL setting is eliminated because I dialed in 0% on the GYRO SENS function and I have it assigned to a 2 postion switch, it's either ON in AVC(set for 100%) or OFF(or NOR set at 0%); and since I'm using a 2 postion switch Up and Down only no Center for Neutral or in your case OFF or 0% would be at the center position.

Clear as mud right, when you access that GYRO Sens Function it will become clear; and I believe it defaults to a 3 position switch; I merely change that to a 2 position switch, in my case to Switch 'E'; assign GYRO sensitivity to any unused channel, I use 7 because 5 is Flaps and 6 is Gear.

I have the Manual for GYA350, but I programed mine using that suggestion by that guy on the Decathlon Thread; I have been using this method for 5 years now and on 5 different planes without any problems, the only problem is finding GYA350 GYROs, but I suspect the 401 will work just as good..

Doug.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:35 AM
RHarding
My Feedback: (3)

Doug and Ken,

I'm sorry that it appears as if I wasn't apprecative of the info. I did send Doug a PM.

To be honest, I,m too old to have used computers much so I have to rely on my best flying buddy to help when it comes to anything deeper than just plain old everyday computer stuff and electronics. I do wish I knew more, but at 70 my old brain just doesn't work as well as it did at one time. I'm hoping we get it installed within the next few days. I will let you know.

I do appreciate any help.

Richard
Old 08-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Richard, you really are an old guy. I know because you are one year older than me. Best of luck.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 AM
dasintex

Never to old to learn and who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks; once you get that GYRO working, you will never fly again without it, nothing worse than have some unruly Tail Dragger go crazy on the runway on takeoff; with a GYRO, you can leasurely do your roll out and take off with grace and scale like appearance, a great sight to see, right Ken!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:31 AM
dasintex

Ken & Richard;

I was looking something up in my 10C Manual, and on page 73 descibes setting the GYRO up like I had done; it does refer to the GYRO Model I use Futaba GYA350; no mention of the 401, but I suspect the 401 is very similar to the 350.

Doug.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:12 AM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Doug.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:14 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 356 Likes on 286 Posts

ORIGINAL: dasintex

Ken & Richard;

I was looking something up in my 10C Manual, and on page 73 descibes setting the GYRO up like I had done; it does refer to the GYRO Model I use Futaba GYA350; no mention of the 401, but I suspect the 401 is very similar to the 350.

Doug.
For your purposes yes. They process the gain signal the same way.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Silverexpress

This is a launch dolly I made mostly out of parts from a spare parts bin. It's for launching foamies that don't have landing gear; such as Parkzones F4F Wildcat. I also intend to use it for EDF's.

The dolly is setup as a tail dragger, and up front is a Futaba GY240 to help it maintain a straight heading down the runway. This Head Holding gyro is perfect for this type of application since it has a gain adjustment directly on the unit, and thus only needs one channel. A lever switch turns it on, and is actuated by the plane when it is placed on the cradle. Upon the plane's seperation from the cradle the switch turns off power to the gyro, the servo driver, and the steering servo. With flaps at 30 deg the F4F has no problem taking off from the cradle.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67761.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1648901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62364.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1648902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98250.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1648903  
Old 08-16-2011, 06:54 AM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silverexpress

This is a launch dolly I made mostly out of parts from a spare parts bin. It's for launching foamies that don't have landing gear; such as Parkzones F4F Wildcat. I also intend to use it for EDF's.

The dolly is setup as a tail dragger, and up front is a Futaba GY240 to help it maintain a straight heading down the runway. This Head Holding gyro is perfect for this type of application since it has a gain adjustment directly on the unit, and thus only needs one channel. A lever switch turns it on, and is actuated by the plane when it is placed on the cradle. Upon the plane's seperation from the cradle the switch turns off power to the gyro, the servo driver, and the steering servo. With flaps at 30 deg the F4F has no problem taking off from the cradle.

That's a very clever application of gyro technology. Two thumbs up !

Dick
Old 08-26-2011, 01:40 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: dditch

Installing Gyro in Rate mode on Rudder (revised)
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFXiImpRQV4

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPmoIz2Q8DE

One more video is comming, plus I need to update the website too.
Thanks for these videos. I followed your instructions, using the same gyro in a Cub and I'm impressed with how well it works.

One question, which Cub is that in the video?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Night Scream

Hi everyone:

I have some questions... I live in Puerto Rico and our wind is normally at 15-25mph.

And i've been doing or trying to do 3D manuvers for a few years.. specially the hover.. but with these winds or the gusts involved its quite dangerous plus not that controllable specially fighting all 3 axisat the same time..

I've heardand read here that some use a gyro on the rudder and saw the set-up videos.

Question i have.. since i would ony turn it on when i'm going to start the 3D manuvers do i have to setup the headig hold on the ground or in the air, if on the air wouldn't a wind gust make it not set up in true center?

Also the planes i'm doing 3D are 30cc gassers [funtana 90s and X260] and these vibrate aa lot when they aare on.. does that vibration alsoo bother the gyro??

Thank You
Old 10-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Jerry-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Go look at this 101 How-To videos.. It will help on the 401 gyro.. For Guides and reference material.. All of this comes from Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room... Go look at all of Finless Bob's videos .. http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60

401, 101 Help
http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...gyro_setup.wmv
Old 10-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Silverexpress

JR has converted one of their heli gyros for airplane use - the G370A. Download the instructions because it is a real good read. This is a rate only gyro, and is directed to those who compete in the Top Gun competition here in the States. The G370A is,made to work with IC powered planes.

For wind, i have experienced at minimum of two gyros that are needed. In order of importance, aileron gyro, and of second importance would be the elevator gyro. A Rudder gyro is more helpful in preventing ground loops.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 AM
nonnopaolo

Hi, I'm trying to setup a rudder gyro (HK401B) on my E-flite Extra 300 32e; my tx is a MPX Cockpit Sx.
I'm sorry for my not so good english...
I'm using ch 6 on the rx, that is the spoiler/flap channel.
Everything seems working well enough, excepts from some stranges behaviours, that I hope to solve with your help.
Spoiler switch has three positions:

Pos. 1 switch full down: gyro works as in rate mode; if I rotate the plane, rudder rotate in the same way as to contrast plane rotation and then return slowly to the center, even if I don't reposition the plane in the original position. Problem: if I leave the plane still, rudder servo and rudder are slightly trembling.

Pos. 2 in the middle: gyro off; If i rotate the plane, nothing happens (obviously). No problem.

Pos. 3 switch full up: gyro works as in HH mode; if I rotate the plane, rudder rotate in the same way as to contrast plane rotation, but it remains in this position until I reposition the plane in the original direction. Problem: if I operate on rudder right or left, rudder rotates, but if put the stick in center position, rudder doesn't return to the center position.

Other problems:
a) "delay" seems to have absolutely no effect.
b) "limit" is working with the range of rudder movement, but in any position (gyro off, gyro HH, gyro rate) DR function on TX doesn't work.
c) With the plane still on the ground, rate mode, if I bump the plane rudder start trembling as a kind of resonance. To stop it, I have to raise the rear wheel.

I plan to use the gyro for a straight and thoughtless taking off; I hope you can help me with my problems.
Bye!
Paolo
Old 11-21-2011, 06:12 AM
dditch

That is EXACTLY how Heading Hold works. Until the plane moves to the amount of position you directed with your stick the rudder is going to move from center. If you want a SAFE and simple method of rudder dampening, try RATE mode instead. RATE mode is more intuitive and less likely to get you into OVER CONTROL situation as heading hold might.

Look here:
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/ruddergyroinstall1.html

ORIGINAL: nonnopaolo

Hi, I'm trying to setup a rudder gyro (HK401B) on my E-flite Extra 300 32e; my tx is a MPX Cockpit Sx.
I'm sorry for my not so good english...
I'm using ch 6 on the rx, that is the spoiler/flap channel.
Everything seems working well enough, excepts from some stranges behaviours, that I hope to solve with your help.
Spoiler switch has three positions:

Pos. 1 switch full down: gyro works as in rate mode; if I rotate the plane, rudder rotate in the same way as to contrast plane rotation and then return slowly to the center, even if I don't reposition the plane in the original position. Problem: if I leave the plane still, rudder servo and rudder are slightly trembling.

Pos. 2 in the middle: gyro off; If i rotate the plane, nothing happens (obviously). No problem.

Pos. 3 switch full up: gyro works as in HH mode; if I rotate the plane, rudder rotate in the same way as to contrast plane rotation, but it remains in this position until I reposition the plane in the original direction. Problem: if I operate on rudder right or left, rudder rotates, but if put the stick in center position, rudder doesn't return to the center position.

Other problems:
a) ''delay'' seems to have absolutely no effect.
b) ''limit'' is working with the range of rudder movement, but in any position (gyro off, gyro HH, gyro rate) DR function on TX doesn't work.
c) With the plane still on the ground, rate mode, if I bump the plane rudder start trembling as a kind of resonance. To stop it, I have to raise the rear wheel.

I plan to use the gyro for a straight and thoughtless taking off; I hope you can help me with my problems.
Bye!
Paolo
Old 12-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Silverexpress

Here's a real good flight report on the new E-Flite UMX Beast 3D with AS3X system (3 axis gyros)....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=447
Old 12-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Night Scream

Hi:

I have this same gyro i bought fomr hobbyking (HK401B)
I have it installed in a Funtana 90 and have seent he video about 7 times and set it up to have the rate mode in low gain and heading hold is off..

Yet the problem i have is...

In rate mode the rudder twitches like crazy till you lift a bit the tail wheel from the floor.
And also the Limit is controlling how much travel the servo moves in the rudder.. this is a 3d plane so i need full deflection..
But when i tried the plaen in the air the tail starts to fish tail like crazy!!!!

I lowered the delay and still does the same.. i had to result to lower the limit and it has stopped it in a sense but now i don't have full deflection on the rudder ..

What am i doing wrong???
Old 12-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Night Scream

Hi:

I have this same gyro i bought fomr hobbyking (HK401B)
I have it installed in a Funtana 90 and have seent he video about 7 times and set it up to have the rate mode in low gain and heading hold is off..

Yet the problem i have is...

In rate mode the rudder twitches like crazy till you lift a bit the tail wheel from the floor.
And also the Limit is controlling how much travel the servo moves in the rudder.. this is a 3d plane so i need full deflection..
But when i tried the plaen in the air the tail starts to fish tail like crazy!!!!

I lowered the delay and still does the same.. i had to result to lower the limit and it has stopped it in a sense but now i don't have full deflection on the rudder ..

What am i doing wrong???
Old 12-14-2011, 02:23 PM
dditch

If it's fishtailing in the air, you need to lower the gain.
Rudder typically allows more gain, but with it wagging, that is a sign the gain is too high.
If you have the gain wire of the gyro on your gear switch then the travel adjust for the gear channel sets the gain.
Start with 30% on your gain when in rate mode.
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/indexnew.html
Old 12-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Night Scream

Well I managed to stop the fish tail the plane was doing but i had to set the gain at 10%
Dunno how effective the gyro will be at that set, since i couldn't practice Hover's yesterday due to 25mph winds..
Normally winds here in Puerto Rico are 5-17mph but yesterday was quite high wind
Old 12-20-2011, 02:04 PM
eclipse3g
My Feedback: (5)

Guys,

I was very satisfied with my GYA350, but I need one more for my new Decathlon. GYA350s are not in production. What we have on e-bay probably fake GYA350 351 352 gyros. I read many good reviews about Spartan Quark and thinking to purchase that. Has anyone use Spartan gyro for rudder?
What gyros are you tested on the big gas planes guys?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Silverexpress

This is what superseded the gya350,

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVA43&P=ML

The description is straight from Futaba

i've used the Spartan Quark and in my opinion it may be overkill for just a rudder application. This is based on the handful of adjustable parameters it has. However, you may get lucky with the default settings. In a rudder application it's either on or off, and so most of the time all those customizable parameters are of no benefit.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 PM
eclipse3g
My Feedback: (5)

Thx Silverexpress
Old 12-21-2011, 02:06 PM
dditch

How much of an angle can your rudder go at full travel? 45 degrees? 90 degrees?
more mechanical travel, the lower the gain will need to be.
Tight mechanics and fast/good centering servos help deal with that.

The few gyro on a rudder planes I have don't have much rudder in them. Maybe 45 max.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Night Scream

Yeah i have about 45-47 degrees in the rudder..

So then the smaller gain should work on the plane cause i have so much mechanical travel on it... right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.