Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:19 AM
Dekz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

So as posted above, my friend and I ordered a couple of Wheely Kings about 3 days ago. So what did we do today? Order about $250 (each) worth of mods of course!

Axial 2.2 Rocksters Beadlock Black
Pro-Line Moab 2.2 Tire Front/Rear
Integy Matrix Pro Lathe Motor 55T Single
HPI Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Body Savage
DuraTrax Pinion Gear 48P 15T w/Set Screw
HPI Spur Gear 48P 96T
Associated Wolfpack 6C 3600mAh NiMH
DuraTrax Piranha AC/DC Digital Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH

And Backordered:
HPI Wheely King Crawler Conversion Set

Can't wait, sooooooo excited!
Old 03-18-2008, 11:36 AM
mdrevo

HERE IS MY WK..ITS STRETCHED TO 16 INCH WB IT HAS 4WD AND I PUT THE ACTUAL DIFF LOCKERS IN IT... I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO NARROW THE WHEELS AND HOW I GET BETTER ARTICULATION

Old 03-18-2008, 06:54 PM
learning2crawl

MDRevo,
Dude if that thing got stretched anymore it would be laying down..........Looks sweet nice touch of yellow... Try to get some shock clamps and move your lower shock mounts to the lower arms this will allow you to regain some of your height back.....Your LHS should have these....Here's some pic's of the Land Rover Wheely King that I am still working on. I am making a custom chassis out of brass stock.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39497.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	907090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70160.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	907091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18454.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	907092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89857.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	907093  
Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Dekz

Just got back from my LHS. My Wheely Kings were supposed to arrive today. They didn't arrive with this order like they were supposed to

My friend and I have been counting down the days to their arrival and now they aren't supposed to come for 10 more days!!! [:@][:@]

Old 03-27-2008, 01:48 AM
s7jstep1

ORIGINAL: Dekz

Just got back from my LHS. My Wheely Kings were supposed to arrive today. They didn't arrive with this order like they were supposed to

My friend and I have been counting down the days to their arrival and now they aren't supposed to come for 10 more days!!! [:@][:@]

sounds to me like you should have just stayed with tower lol
Old 03-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Dekz

ORIGINAL: s7jstep1

sounds to me like you should have just stayed with tower lol

Actually that's what I ended up doing, lol.

I went back to my LHS to see if there was any way he could get them faster. Now I find out that he won't even ORDER them until next friday, and they will come the friday AFTER that! So I got my deposit back, went online to tower, they are still out of stock on the kits, so I bought 2 RTRs, shipped, for LESS than what my LHS was charging for the kits, and they will be here in 7-14 days

I just wish I would have known he was going to be so incompetent in advance so I could have ordered from Tower a long time ago [:@]

My LHS has lost me as a customer for life. He wasn't willing to help out at all. If I owned a hobby shop and screwed up an order like that, I would make another order immediately to get the stuff in ASAP. I wouldn't make my customer wait 2 more weeks until I make my usual order.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 PM
learning2crawl

Has everyone forgot about customer service? If the owner of that shop is planning to stay in buisness he needs repeat clients. It sounds like this store is heading towards the direction that most mom and pop stores are. The amount of local hobby stores has decreased by 35% in the last 10 years. Just be patient I can tell you that it will be worth the wait>>>>>><<<<<<<. Good luck, you may want to contact your local BBB about the issue you had.[8D]

Name:	Ec89304.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	915007  
Old 03-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Dekz

ORIGINAL: learning2crawl

Has everyone forgot about customer service? If the owner of that shop is planning to stay in buisness he needs repeat clients. It sounds like this store is heading towards the direction that most mom and pop stores are. The amount of local hobby stores has decreased by 35% in the last 10 years. Just be patient I can tell you that it will be worth the wait>>>>>><<<<<<<. Good luck, you may want to contact your local BBB about the issue you had.[8D]
Exactly, I mean, I understand that he can't sell stuff for the same price as the online stores, that's a given, it's just not possible. But when I'm getting better prices AND better service from an online store, then we have a problem.

He was charging $210 for the WK No-elecs, Tower has them for $140, but they aren't in stock. So fine, I go to the LHS and say "hey, maybe you can give us a bit of a deal since we're buying two?" and he says "oh well I'm not making that much on them and I have to pay for shipping and stuff, Ill give them to you for $205 each". (which is total BS considering I could get them for $160 shipped had Tower had them in stock)

So we're paying more but he can get them faster, ok, whatever. Then after all this BS about not being able to get them, I go to Tower and order two READY-TO-RUNS for $210 each. And the shipping works out to less than the local tax I would pay at the LHS. AND they are going to be here sooner.

How can you possible expect anyone to shop here when this is what happens? The only advantage to buying stuff locally is that you shouldn't have to wait for it. If it's gonna take 2-3 weeks, then OBVIOUSLY I'm going to go online and pay $65 less per truck! I was willing to pay more to get it faster and support the local shop, but he was completely useless. I won't go to the BBB or anything like that, he didn't do anything "wrong", he just has terrible service and prices. He'll lose enough from the word of mouth.

Honestly, it won't be long until a lot of stores are obsolete. As soon as shipping companies/customs get better so that you can get almost anything in a day or two, WAY more stuff will be bought online.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:13 PM
s7jstep1

does anyone know of a way to waterproof my reciever to where i can still change my crystals?
Old 03-29-2008, 06:28 AM
learning2crawl

I tried the balloon trick for the reciever and the ESC and both worked great. Get som decell gel and plug the ends.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:44 AM
munro300

ORIGINAL: learning2crawl

Exactly, I mean, I understand that he can't sell stuff for the same price as the online stores, that's a given, it's just not possible. But when I'm getting better prices AND better service from an online store, then we have a problem.

He was charging $210 for the WK No-elecs, Tower has them for $140, but they aren't in stock. So fine, I go to the LHS and say "hey, maybe you can give us a bit of a deal since we're buying two?" and he says "oh well I'm not making that much on them and I have to pay for shipping and stuff, Ill give them to you for $205 each". (which is total BS considering I could get them for $160 shipped had Tower had them in stock)

So we're paying more but he can get them faster, ok, whatever. Then after all this BS about not being able to get them, I go to Tower and order two READY-TO-RUNS for $210 each. And the shipping works out to less than the local tax I would pay at the LHS. AND they are going to be here sooner.

How can you possible expect anyone to shop here when this is what happens? The only advantage to buying stuff locally is that you shouldn't have to wait for it. If it's gonna take 2-3 weeks, then OBVIOUSLY I'm going to go online and pay $65 less per truck! I was willing to pay more to get it faster and support the local shop, but he was completely useless. I won't go to the BBB or anything like that, he didn't do anything "wrong", he just has terrible service and prices. He'll lose enough from the word of mouth.

Honestly, it won't be long until a lot of stores are obsolete. As soon as shipping companies/customs get better so that you can get almost anything in a day or two, WAY more stuff will be bought online.
Hey Dekz have you ever ordered from great hobbies, they have great customer service and could prpbablly have you 2 wheely kings in 3or 4 days and they are in canada. a couple weeks ago the king was on sale for 199$ now its 219$
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=HPI10830
Old 03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Dekz

ORIGINAL: munro300
Hey Dekz have you ever ordered from great hobbies, they have great customer service and could prpbablly have you 2 wheely kings in 3or 4 days and they are in canada. a couple weeks ago the king was on sale for 199$ now its 219$
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=HPI10830
Oh man, I wish I would have known about that site 3 weeks ago. Thanks for the tip, I will definitely keep them in mind in the future.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 PM
DirtRacinFool

Well here is mine, just made a few mods to get it started. I'll be designing a new chassis for it soon.

Name:	Jh16240.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	918849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10580.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	918850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30994.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	918851  
Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 PM
s7jstep1

well i ditched the limited slip and fully locked the diffs but now my esc (stock) keeps going into thermal mode. im running a stock size spur, and a 16t pinion. i dont really want to put my lrp no limit esc in it since i want to use it in my rustler or my rc10. i also have an old xl1 but idk if it will be any good for a crawler.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:28 AM
revofreak

Try getting a smaller pinion if you can. It really shouldn't be thermaling like that..
Old 04-01-2008, 12:30 AM
s7jstep1

if i go any smaller, i need to dremel out the motor mount. i might just put the xl1 on and see how it does or go back to the stock motor
Old 04-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Dekz

My Wheely Kings cleared customs yesterday!!!

HOPEFULLY tomorrow they will arrive, but if not then should definitely be Monday. SO excited, found the perfect place to start crawling yesterday.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:10 PM
hands without shadows

s7j - Try a bigger spur in conjunction with a smaller pinion. That way you wont have to dremel and you get a lower ratio.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 PM
autoart4you

hey guys! i'm new to rc and just got a wk and i was wondering if i could use two 7.2v, 1500 nicad batterys with a Y connector too get more power or longer run time?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:12 PM
hands without shadows

Yes you could. Wired in parallel for more runtime, series for more power. Lathe motors are built for 12v so they will be fine in either configuration. Just remember that you need an ESC with a rating of 12 or more cells when running the packs in series.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
losifiend

Mine.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:19 AM
Dekz

Finally got our wheely kings!!!

We immediately modded them up with wheels, tires, 55t motor, lower gearing.

They can climb over stuff pretty good, but on any kind of hill they just want to flip over backwards [:@]

I stopped using the rear battery mount and zap strapped 2 batteries onto the sides near the front, it helped a little but it still has problems climbing uphill.

We're waiting for HPI to release the crawler conversion kit, but until then, is there anything we can do?

I've heard about people putting BBs in the front tires, is this effective, any other suggestions?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 AM
dacaur

stick on lead tire weights in the front tires will help, but its really not going to crawl well till you stretch the wheelbase.... try a chassis flip, you will like it, and you can use the stock battery box again.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 AM
autoart4you

hey guys! i was wondering how much stretch is too much? is the 12.5 the best length? and how much GC should i shot for? thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 10:34 AM
kurtz

As I understand it 12.5 inches is the max length allowed for competition rock crawling in the 2.2 class, so that is why most people target that length. Not sure what is best, probably depends alot on your rig and your terrain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.