Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Tseres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

ORIGINAL: Thunderbolt47

Hey Tom, I saw Hun Hunter at an airshow last weekend. Nice Looking Thunderbolt.
Kelly
That sure is a pretty plane. I'd like to walk around it once or several times.
Where was the show at?

Old Tom
Old 05-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tseres

ORIGINAL: Thunderbolt47

Hey Tom, I saw Hun Hunter at an airshow last weekend. Nice Looking Thunderbolt.
Kelly
That sure is a pretty plane. I'd like to walk around it once or several times.
Where was the show at?

Old Tom

Tom, It was a Goldsboro NC, at Wings over Wayne airshow

My friend did a walk around with his video camera. I don't know if he got any stills or not. I'll find out if he did and see what I can get for you.

Kelly
Old 05-02-2009, 12:38 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

I will agree with tom on that bird nice looking.

Up date on my 47 got it out to the field and ready to start for got to put in the choke rod[>:] so pulled the cowl and went for a start, Primed till drippy wet 3 clicks above idle about 5 flits and we had a start, nice idle warm up about 30 sec or so advanced throtle all controls started jumping around back to idle all ok shut it down and will install new reciver or go to 2.4

Main thing was a used engine from an uknown sorce (ebay) but it ran and seemed strong way to windy to fly [] anything gusty 5 to 30 and from south to west[&o]

Bob T
Old 05-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well back today from the 2 day Warbird event conducted by our SCAF group and hosted by the Tin Can Bay MAC.

Was a great line up with everything from an twin turbine A-10 Warthog right down to a little hellcat made of corflute which is a plastic carboard stuff.

what is more we had 3 retrobates from here all lined up. Self, Dave, aka ticketec, Mick aka Boltman!! Think Mick will post a pic of our models later one.

Here is my report on my escapades.

Heavy overcast with gusts, low cloud base tends to make the P51 dissapear a bit as the silver blends right in.

Day 1

P51 first take off gorgeous, landing gorgeous. 2nd flight the gear sequencer missed and one main was outside the inner door, no prob I though, kept flying about. Dropped the gear and the opposite main lost it’s wheel. Coupple of the chaps tracked it and it was found including the axle. [X(]

Landed on the belly, but did a little damage to the wing and gear door as well as breaking a prop. Got it on the bench now & nearly fixed, just have to glue the inner gear door back on then play with the sequencer to sort that out. Gear door is now back on with just the sequncer to sort out.

Did not fly the Seafury as the gremlins were talking to my gut instinct.

Day 2

P51 U/S

Seafury. Ran it up, engine sounded strong. Take off roll long, scale and beautiful, rotated, climbed away nicely, the 21x12 made a difference all right over the 22x10.

Came around for a low pass and noticed one main gear had dropped down, tried to cycle it, no good, tried to lower, no good, tried rolls, loops to shake it down, again no good.

So stooged around for about 10 mins then decided it was time to land.

One main and the tail wheel down. all I needed was a trail of smoke to set the scene!!

Came in nicely, full flap on, into ground effects then just prior to touching I pulled the flaps up so they would not be damaged. It settled on the one main and I held it off as long as I could then the other tip came down and it did a half circle and settled with the engine still running. Lots of claps of appluase from the peanut gallery.

Beauty I thought till I checked it over. I had a crack right through the leading edge where the gull butt joint is. Think the builder had not reinforced that area. Don’t think it was the landing that did it but my high G manouvers to get the gear down. So the wheel up landing may have saved me a model. I’ll do a bit of surgery and inspect along the spas then drop in a ¼†ply brace laminated with carbon fibre to both front and rear to both sides to strengthen it.

P47 will have to be apatient girl a bit longer.
cheers
Peter
Old 05-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Tseres

Not good Peat. [:'(]I have heard this somewhere on this thread, so I'll pass it on. Nothing a little glue won't fix.

At this rate you are going to have to rename the 47 from Hairless Joe to Graybeard Joe. [&o]
I'm going flying today hope I have better luck.

Old Tom

Old 05-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

best of luck with the flying. I'm on my first cofee, couple more then will wander up to the shed to sort of the P51 sequencer and thn to think about how to do the Seafury wing repairs, reinforcement.

Have the plans for the Vailly Tempest which is the same wing with only 2 extra rib bays added in so can see how mine was constrcted and go from there.

cheers
Peter
Old 05-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Tseres

Got the rivets finished on the elevator and the rudder. I'm not going to work on the 47 till I get back from vacation.
I took a picture of where I am with the build so maybe I will remember where I left off. Unintentionally I had the Laser in the background.
I now call it my farewell Laser picture. While doing touch and goes I got it to slow and tip staled it and broke the fuse in 3 main peaces and bent the wing tube. Although its nothing a little glue can't fix, I striped it and put it in a box for a future repair project. In other words I'm not messing with it for a while. Eventhoe it was my fault I think it's jinxed. I didn't take my camera with me so there aren't any pictures of it.

Old Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52192.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1191561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63884.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1191562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91489.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1191563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49103.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1191564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47142.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1191565  
Old 05-03-2009, 08:03 PM
rt3232

Hay Pete not to lead you a stray but add a little somthing in the coffee to give it a littlr zipp HEhe will make the

Dam weather is still not letting me go fly[>:]

bob t
Old 05-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Tom,
that sucks mate, what a crap outcome. Oh well on to better things. Seem to recall those things liked to land hot.

Enjoy the vacation.
cheers
Peter
Old 05-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Bob,
that would make the repairs a little different for sure!

Too bloody early in the day for a nip anyways.

Well hooked up some long airlines to the P51 fuz and wing, pumped it up and cycled the gear about 20 times. Each time it worked perfectly so I am really annoyed now. Would prefer to find something wrong.

Now to order a couple of 17x10 props. Done, 2 x Mejnik 17x10 props on their way. P51 will soon have it's flight status back.

Now onto the Seafury - ugghh

cheers
Peter
Old 05-04-2009, 12:28 AM
BOLTMAN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Pete mentioned above, pic's from the Tin Can Bay Warbirds on Saturday.

My H9 Razorback, Pete's Sea Fury & Dave's FW 190.........

I logged 4 good flights for the day, unfortunately did not manage to sell the Razorback, need to do this to help pay for the Robart P-47 which I already have.

The last pic is a 1/4 scale P-47 that was there, built from the guys own plans, powered by a DA 150, flew well even though it lost it's canopy soon after take off.

Cheers

Mick

Name:	Nl28553.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1191837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13336.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1191838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95295.jpg
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1191839  
Old 05-04-2009, 02:03 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

that big jug also lost it's seat on the Sunday! Looked most odd with no canopy!

So been looking at the Seafury and poring over my tempest plans which are esstnetially the same wing only with 2 extra rib bays in the middle section.

The only damage I can pinpoint is the leading edge, the inner spars are intact so my thoughts are to open up the leading edge bottom sheeting on both sides and drop a 3/16th ply brace a couple of rib bays past on either side to help carry the loads. I think this will be ok but will get my mate Ron who is a large model inspector to also cast his expreinced eye over it before I start cutting.

Hey Mick, good to catch up with you and Helen on Sat. How was toowoomba fly in? Throw that H9 P47 on my website to flog it off if you want, no fees that way!! I don't need anything out of it. Let me know if you want to..

cheers
Peter

Name:	Zx70013.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1191862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30138.jpg
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1191863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40504.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1191864  
Old 05-04-2009, 05:48 AM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

Tom,
that sucks mate, what a crap outcome. Oh well on to better things. Seem to recall those things liked to land hot.

Enjoy the vacation.
cheers
Peter
Yeah, it did like landing hot. No wind made me think I was flying to fast. Was used to landing in 10 to 15mph. wind.

The plane was flying fine. It was my lack of experience. The funny thing is I'm not even mad cause I know what happened.
Have other planes to fly, they are not gas powered. Have to get another ARF for that engine.The engine is sweet. Just don't have time right now.

Old Tom
Old 05-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

time is always of the essence mate, it is the one thing we cherish and never have enough of.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:11 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My Fw-190 look small in those pic's cos it was the furthest from the camera... Honest!

You to catch up with you again Mick and I'm keen as mustard to see what you get up to with you Robart P-47! turns out we won something from the pilots raffle but because we were both nil stock onthe last day we got nothing!

Pete, Let me know when the 2.4G arrives and what i owe you.... damn lucky to still have the f-16, again.

thanks

dave
Old 05-04-2009, 06:41 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Dave,
what happened with the F16? Could not hear properly on the phonewhen we were driving back. Yup will let you know when it rocks up, it is coming with an AR9000 RX.

Saw that PAnther you sent me the link to, VERY tempted BUT would get my nuts cut off if I bought another model . . .

Was funny withthe raffle draw, they called your name, not here goes I, then they called out Micks name, not here goes I again. Unreal!

ciao
PEter
Old 05-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Tseres

Mick, great picture of the Three Musketeers.
Dave your FW is not small, Pete's Seafury is just big.
I read the thread on the FW. Excellent job on the kit bash. Nice flier to.

Old Tom
Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

Dave,
what happened with the F16? Could not hear properly on the phonewhen we were driving back. Yup will let you know when it rocks up, it is coming with an AR9000 RX.

Saw that PAnther you sent me the link to, VERY tempted BUT would get my nuts cut off if I bought another model . . .

Was funny withthe raffle draw, they called your name, not here goes I, then they called out Micks name, not here goes I again. Unreal!

ciao
PEter
Hey mate, I thought they would have let you pick something for me.

The f-16 took off great, in about half the previous length of runway. heaps of go now. Got half way down the down wind leg of the first circuit when she started performing some amazing 3D maneouvers. Not that i had anything to do with it!![X(], brought her round after another circuit and landed fine, but i will just bite the bullet and go to 2.4G so as to not risk losing her again.

trolling through ebay i found the panther. now i'm not one who wants to stop you from working on the P-47 but i know you liked them and it's going so cheap, just had to let you know about it. even i thought about just for the cheap turbine!

Thanks

dave
Old 05-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

gratton and co werent playing that game, not thee so onto next draw. So goes it [&o]

Mate I love the Panther but really have enough to keep me occupied for some time and still need to buy the tempest retracts from sierra so will have to pass on a turbine. Maybe my little bloke will get into them and I can help him [8D]

That interferrence sounds like some doddry old codger in the parking lot with his radio on. [sm=bananahead.gif]

2.4 is the go and will let you know when it arrives.

Ron is popping over Thursday to inspect the Seafury wing prior to me doing the repair as it needs to be recertified after that little episode.

cheers
Peter

Old 05-05-2009, 07:31 AM
G-Pete

Hi Guys, just popping in and bragging

How about Best of Show?!

Name:	Lj23192.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1192631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28713.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1192632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98514.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1192633  
Old 05-05-2009, 10:44 AM
RWHorton

Nice Pete!

Ron
Old 05-05-2009, 10:52 AM
at-6 texan

hooooo!!! nice Pete my compliment to you!!!...
Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

Hi Guys, just popping in and bragging

How about Best of Show?!
Nice job Pete you deserve it.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Old Tom
Old 05-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Tseres

I had my last hurra before vacation unless the forecast is changed.
I had bought a Sukhoi last fall from my friend Mike (Vanguard). Mounted my RCGF-26 that I bought the same day that Bob T. bought his.
I had Mike maiden it for me. It was a good thing cause it was way out of trim and I probably would have crashed it.The motor is new and isn't broke in yet.It fired right up and didn't have to make any adjustments to the mixture needles.
My other friend Bob P. made two great landings one with the bad trim and the other with only one aileron. Yes I did get to fly it just as the aileron servo arm came off.I handed the radio back to Bob and he saved the day once again.
The plane flew great after adjustments and thanks to my friends I still have a plain. Thanks guys. I'm back in the Gasser business.
Also Howard brought his T/F 1/5th jug out and it flew smooth as silk.It is an awesome and powerful looking bird in the air. I can't wait to get mine finished.I'm going to let Bob maiden it when the time comes.

Old Tom[sm=49_49.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 PM
rt3232

Hay G-Pete

Great job I am with Old Tom you earned it[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Bob T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.