Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Arthur K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

Thanks Luke that does look good I will look into it once I have the plans copied and on the drafting table still there is the process of making the outer wing section removable for a three piece wing and a good look at the retract mounting platform I am ordering a set of taylor plans as well I think most likely the final project will end up with a mix of the royal taylor and matt plans redrawn by me I am for sure buiding a 100"size model and that will enter the Canadian Nationals and hope fully that will get me on the team
and build the 1/4 scale for the worlds
Old 10-18-2005, 11:50 AM
D Bronk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ARTHUR with a big girl like that, You Got to make those wings fold .Man nothing more impressive than seeing those come down as she taxis out to the run way,,MAYBE you could draw it up so those pivots end up,on the center section ,the outer wing panels get bolted to the pivots on the center ,when in the up position Just like Full scale,hooks locking everything in the down position.That would grab my attention ..I think I posted some vought drawings earlier in the thread ,that shows a bit oF detail in that department..IT`s an
F4U-4 ,but should give you a good idea, how the factory did it. DAVE
Old 10-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Arthur K

Not only will it fold and lock it will have an onboard starter power sliding canopy functional tail hook lights functional airvents on the cowl and the belly pan
if I do go with the corsair this will be all incorperated and to cap it off I would like to have an electric powered retracts for full scale fold action with scale air damped struts that will only compress once on touchdown but I have to make sure I can compete in the canadian national teem with a non Canadian Aircraft if not the TBF Avenger is my second choice Our nave had those for some time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95829.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	340762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66907.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	340763  
Old 10-18-2005, 02:56 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Arthur K

Thanks Luke that does look good I will look into it once I have the plans copied and on the drafting table still there is the process of making the outer wing section removable for a three piece wing and a good look at the retract mounting platform I am ordering a set of taylor plans as well I think most likely the final project will end up with a mix of the royal taylor and matt plans redrawn by me I am for sure buiding a 100"size model and that will enter the Canadian Nationals and hope fully that will get me on the team
and build the 1/4 scale for the worlds
Arthur you have all you need to build the ultimate Corsair, next to mine that is![8D] I know this is going to be offensive to his loyal subjects, but don't bother with the Taylor plans, help you they will not. I know many think this guy is a god or whatever, I wouldn't know, I don't have any. Anyway the Corsair plans are far from god like and in no way do they match the Matt drawings at all, no outline on the Taylor plan is a match including the wing dihedral and gull angles.

As far as wing attachment I would go with the Century Jet system, if I remember right they use a flat piece of aluminum, might have to check on that. You would not be able to use a tube system because that takes up to much room.

ARTHUR with a big girl like that, You Got to make those wings fold .Man nothing more impressive than seeing those come down as she taxis out to the run way,,MAYBE you could draw it up so those pivots end up,on the center section ,the outer wing panels get bolted to the pivots on the center ,when in the up position Just like Full scale,hooks locking everything in the down position.That would grab my attention ..I think I posted some vought drawings earlier in the thread ,that shows a bit oF detail in that department..IT`s an
F4U-4 ,but should give you a good idea, how the factory did it. DAVE
One of the many problems with building models this big is in the hardware needed. You must use full-scale type systems and materials; this requires a full machine shop. My 82" Corsair will have folding wings and even the small doors in front of the flaps will fold in when the flaps are extended. Folding wings on a larger model will require machined steel for the hinge, whereas I can use PC Board material. All I need is a strong servo to fold them, don't know what you would uses on a larger model. Earl Aune built me a set of gear for my plane that has the compressing shock feature also![8D] I built my own tail wheel out of PC Board material, you can't do that with a 100" plane, it must be machined out of aluminum. You will also need a pilot figure, I can use the BBI 12" figures. This is why I don’t build larger models; I like to use modeling techniques and not full-scale building techniques. Cheaper and easier to make them more scale like if you build them in the 80†and smaller range. These are just my personal preferences and observations.

That’s why I’m very curious to see what you come up with Arthur!

Dion

Old 10-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Arthur K

Luke you are right it does take some full scale hardware for giant models not as much for a 100 incher but yes at 30 to 35 lb you have to use some serious tooling for folding wings and retracts I do have a lathe and a mill at home for smaller projects and my best friend in the world owns a CNC machine shop with some serious equipment
including 2 edm cutters so it would be no problem so for now the 100 inch corsair will hit the table this spring and let's see where it goes from there
in the meantime I am going to have some fun with the top flight tonight I am getting ready to chart tape the fues
Luke tell me something did you use 1/32 or 1/64 tape on yours I used 1/32 on the wing and it kind of looked to wide but hey this bugger is just going to be a weekend warior
so I am not too concerned
Old 10-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Arthur K

Luke do you Know the sequance of the cooling flaps on 1D from top to bottom IE. long short long short and so on till the botom
Old 10-18-2005, 09:39 PM
D Bronk

HERE ARTHUR ,is this what you want?? F4U-1A,thru,F4U-1D all the same flaps....DAVE

Name:	Ca80618.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	340972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83766.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	340973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97217.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	340974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11844.jpg
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	340975  
Old 10-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Arthur K

thanks dave that is exactly what I wanted
Old 10-19-2005, 11:36 AM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME. LUKE I know you most likely can. Look at the photo of the Birdcage corsair and someone tell me what the odd looking thing is on the right side of the fusellage in line with the trailing edge of the wing to the stablizer. Looks almost like a buldge going down the side, but im not sure what it is for. I will be soon starting a F4u-1 birdcage Royal corsair and im getting some photos together for a scale look. But I have never seen this on any corsair before?

Alan

Name:	Ge94872.jpg
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	341199  
Old 10-19-2005, 01:00 PM
saramos

Looks like the color transition between the blue top and grey underbelly. Greyscale photo makes it look similar to highlights of a bulge, but it's not.

Scott
Old 10-19-2005, 03:47 PM
fireplug1111

OK I'll buy that ----DUH Just shoot me. The picture I uploaded isnt as big as the one I have on my computer and it is more defined on the bigger picture. It really looks like a buldge. But I know there isnt such a thing so I'LL go with the paint.

Thanka Alan
Old 10-19-2005, 04:45 PM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: saramos

Looks like the color transition between the blue top and grey underbelly. Greyscale photo makes it look similar to highlights of a bulge, but it's not.

Scott
That, or,more likely, It could be that this MARINE aircraft was on a wet, Mud ,run-way ,and the spray from the wheels,got picked up into the air stream of the prop wash, and That bulge, is a spray of mud that shoots along the wings` airstream,and sticks to the fuse ..You can see this sort of thing,on a lot of F4U-4s and F4U-5s when the exhaust was re-located higher, on the forward fuse..The exhaust stains show an extremly similar pattern on those planes ..I`ll find some pics this eve. for you ,showing what I mean..Dave B.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:11 PM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: Arthur K

I have to make sure I can compete in the canadian national teem with a non Canadian Aircraft if not the TBF Avenger is my second choice Our nave had those for some time
Arthur I have Info ,for a CANADIAN, awarded the Victoria Cross.He was awarded the medal for his Heroism in combat while flying a CORSAIR..THAT would make a great Tribute, in any Museum.I really hope that your team will allow that Corsair.I would like to watch that build ..D.B.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Arthur K

DO tell dave do tell I do like the avenger but it would not fly like a corsair and man let me tell you a 120" crsair would have aprox 2800 sqare inch of wing area now built with some giant scale skills like foam turtle deck maybe belly pan or even just the truss work in the rear of the fues If this plane comes in around 43 to 45 lb it would fly like a dream
and with the pwer of a da 150 you can turn a scale prop direct or a small reduction drive it would be spectacular
Old 10-19-2005, 07:35 PM
D Bronk

OKAY give me some time to get the details I have for him(scattered) and it`s yours.I find it a very intresting story,and I`m sure you will too.did you get my P.M.??

Mike my (neighbour) is not in yet..
Old 10-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Arthur K

Yes I got it dave no problem I would like to chat corsair with you anyway

Man I hope the plane was a looker because I only like the dark blue carrier based planes specialy the bunker hill planes and the latter marine corsairs in the Korean teather
Old 10-19-2005, 09:27 PM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: fireplug1111

SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME. LUKE I know you most likely can. Look at the photo of the Birdcage corsair and someone tell me what the odd looking thing is on the right side of the fusellage in line with the trailing edge of the wing to the stablizer. Looks almost like a buldge going down the side, but im not sure what it is for. I will be soon starting a F4u-1 birdcage Royal corsair and im getting some photos together for a scale look. But I have never seen this on any corsair before?

Alan
ALAN here`s some pics for You .I think you`ve got a nice subject to model there.I`ll give you a bit of info incase you don`t already know a bit about this Corsair or the pilot.If you know this stuffIt`ll be in the thread for someone else.

PILOT MAJ.Gregory J Weissenberger ,belting-up in BuNo 02288..He became Commander of VMF-213,they were known to share, their planes, back, and forth, with VMF-124 .The MAJ.became an ACE; July 18th 1944 with 5 kills for a career total..It`s reported the celebratin included a birthday cake that afternoon THE majority of the pics I`m putting up are of "his plane ,but I also included a couple showing the MUCK on The fuse theory.I won`t stick my neck out, and say this is the case with your pic,because it`s still possible that its ,the color blend..I`m thinking it just might be the paint job,because the star is not that dirty in my photo either but it`s something you can resarch more about..So there`s some good leads you can chase ..Is this, any help to you ????DAVE B.

Name:	Tr49444.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	341415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98515.jpg
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	341416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60435.jpg
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	341417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93369.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	341418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58811.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	341419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh65351.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	341420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik90457.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	341421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz89067.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	341422  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70129.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	341423  
Old 10-19-2005, 09:44 PM
D Bronk

1 pic added for Alan, now Arthur`s is next..D.B.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Arthur K

ORIGINAL: fireplug1111

Alan

Alen the buldge you see is just an optical illution of the light underbelly paint sceme

Name:	Qo40692.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	341464  
Old 10-20-2005, 01:42 AM
saramos

Dave,

Looks like the 6th photo you posted was taken at the same time of the photo that Alan posted. The plane is the same, the position is the same, the foreground and background are the same. Must have been several photos taken in sequence as he was preparing for a flight. You sure have done a lot of research!

Scott
Old 10-20-2005, 09:40 AM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: saramos

Dave,

Looks like the 6th photo you posted was taken at the same time of the photo that Alan posted. The plane is the same, the position is the same, the foreground and background are the same. Must have been several photos taken in sequence as he was preparing for a flight. You sure have done a lot of research!

Scott
Thanks Scott. Your right it .I would bet cash on that being shot in sequence ..Same thing with the 2 different corsairs, running through, the same puddle, on the same run-way, that I also posted in that set..That is why I`m sure there has to be more pics of "MARINES DREAM"too.probably in a private collection though..I find the fact, that someone, would keep those type of things hidden, for themselves..It`s so stupid,because ,,what alot of us are doing, with our models, is trying to preserve the history/memory, of these, planes/pilots.I think everyone knows, how easily a photo can be lost, or accidentally tossed away..It`s really a shame ,if/when ,those things happen...THATs the main reason I`m shareing what I can too..YOU CAN`T, TAKE IT, WITH YOU,WHEN YOU DIE!!!!! D.B.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:37 AM
D Bronk

ARTHUR I`M GOING TO GIVE YOU SOME LEADS HERE.....FLEET AIR ARMS (FAA) WITH THE BRITISH... FLIGHT COMMANDER WITH THE SQDN No.1841 ,LT.ROBERT HAMPTON GRAY ,MADE THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE OF HIS LIFE....On a Bomb strike of a Jap. ship he dove in on the ship, taking hits from land and sea.Instead of aborting the attack,for saftey,and while in flames, he kept his dive,and at about, 50 feet off the ship,he dropped his ordinance, getting at least one direct hit,most likely all hits..regardless the ship went down immediately,and Lt. Gray was killed,in the explosion...None of his, or the Corsairs ,remains were ever found..That is how he won the Victoria Cross . ANOTHER major accomoplisment was, he was a key role in the sinking of the German ship "Tarpiz"(spelling?)..I have not found any actual photos, of his aircraft, with the clipped wings, but there are some of a restoration (replica)on the INTERNET..YOU`ll need to do a search on LT. GRAY,there is an awfull lot written on him,too much for me to put in here...I do have a few actual photos of the man himself and some artist interpratations of the plane ..I`ll put them here too...THERE`s 1 other, Canadian ,"all corsair" made, Ace... I`ll post about him, also..(next)

Name:	Nl30697.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	341590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19128.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	341591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms43006.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	341592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38262.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	341593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr92038.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	341594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp94288.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	341595  
Old 10-20-2005, 10:50 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

This is an awesome thread guys. I also looked for Hammie Gray and found this on the FAA website. What is interesting is that he flew a Brewster built Corsair!

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Aircraft/Corsair.htm
Old 10-20-2005, 05:23 PM
D Bronk

THe Brits,(also flown by Canadians enlisted with them) were the poor suckers, that got that, Junk..BREWSTER, was the worst(rarest) of ,the MANUFACTURERS that built the CORSAIR....136 built, in1943......599 built, in 1944,,that`s when ,their contract, was terminated...My guess is ,since all the MANUFACTURERS had the same parts suppliers and Blue-prints..BREWSTER, must have been greedy, and was taking short-cuts to result in a poor quality plane...just a quess
Old 10-20-2005, 06:48 PM
fireplug1111

DBRONK:

I too have noticed that one of the pictures you sent is just after the one I posted. As I look harder at the picture I posted I have noticed that it is in fact the color change in the blues. I do however thank each and everyone of you for your photos. Just to let you all know I am planning on going to the Solomons this next summer (thier winter) and do some diving on corsair sites. I will take many many photos. Also I will be visiting MUNDA MUNDA and take a look at Boyingtons old stomping grounds. I know he was only there for a few months but I do have an extreme interest in his combat life. Must be it started with that crazy Black Sheep show in the 70s. I have read a few books on the Black Sheep and it is no where near the tv series. All in all I will be visiting there. I have always loved Corsairs and now im in the process of trying to locate a Royal 60 kit and build it. I do have a A6M3 Zero Royal kit and I will be building it and I think that a Corsair and zero 60 size would turn heads at the local flying field.

Once again thanks for all your input.
Alan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.