Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Is the Traxxas T Maxx reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 06:11 AM
bigjdubb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Traxxas T Maxx reliable?

I was looking at the Epic motor as well. I thought I read somewhere that you have to cut the shaft or something to make it fit the T-Maxx. I could only find the Sirio as a direct replacement but I found that Team Orion also makes a .18 replacement. I cant find any specs on it though. I found the Fantom for $149 but no specs on it either. I cant even find it on Fantoms site.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:56 AM
redviper748

Originally posted by redviper748
I think I am going to get the t Maxx because it is the fastest truck out there stock and under $400. It will hit 40 out of the box and no other truck can stock with 4wd. ANd I like it because of the big engine it has.
Does anybody know anyother truck that will work for me?
Old 09-04-2003, 05:08 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

go madforce or savage...the thing is once your stock engine is dead u r stock with a small block engine so ur better off getting bigblocks that way u can put any big block engines u want with out buying the conversion kits hich are also costly..so imo go big block any bigblock
Old 09-04-2003, 06:10 PM
redviper748

How much is a big block engine and then how fast will it go?
Old 09-05-2003, 01:10 AM
bigjdubb

If I was you I would wait a few months and get the Savage 25 RTR. Appearantly they have fixed the major problems and added more power. This should be the king of the hill when it comes out, considering most think it is now. Until Traxxas gets smart and make the Maxx a big block truck the Savage 25 will whoop on the bash front.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:15 AM
RCFreakInFL
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by bigjdubb
Until Traxxas gets smart and make the Maxx a big block truck...
Hmmm....maybe because it's a 1/10 scale truck
Old 09-05-2003, 05:05 AM
badboy2

a big block engine cost as much as an engine u can put on tmaxx like sirio 18 cost lik 170s which is almost the same as picco26..about the speed maybe almost the same but big block engines ur hauling a big ***** truck...
Old 09-05-2003, 01:01 PM
caseyddr

Originally posted by RCFreakInFL
Sorry Bubba, gotta back casey up on this:

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro....851.472.0.0.0

The specs can be found at many other sites as well, but the Epic .18 is rated 1.8HP @39,000 R's

OR, if you don't believe that site, just go to www.epicmotorsports.com and look at their "Nitro Motors" section....it also states the specs of the motor. It costs more than the Trinity Sirio TX-18, so it better do that 1.8
at least someboyd does there research when they reply to something. in another post somewhere he said 8th scale cars couldnt go 80 mph, yet my RC Xtreme magazine says differently :O
Old 09-05-2003, 03:52 PM
RCFreakInFL
Banned

Well ya know, we all learn from our mistakes
Old 09-05-2003, 08:55 PM
bubbafien

if you are referring to me about the 1/8 scale going 80 i do not remember saying that but you can make an 1/8 scale go 80 if it is on road. if it is a buggy, good luck! you would have to have some high gearing!

and the epic is not putting out 1.8! almost every company exagerates (except novarossi) about hp! you should know this by know. novarossi under rates if anything. in rc nitro the c12 dyno'd in @ over 1bhp and novarossi said 1hp. sirio says their off road buggy motor is 2.8 and it dyno'd in @ 2.35.

i do, do my research. dont you?
bubbafien
Old 09-05-2003, 11:14 PM
RCFreakInFL
Banned

Originally posted by bubbafien
if you are referring to me about the 1/8 scale going 80 i do not remember saying that but you can make an 1/8 scale go 80 if it is on road. if it is a buggy, good luck! you would have to have some high gearing!

and the epic is not putting out 1.8! almost every company exagerates (except novarossi) about hp! you should know this by know. novarossi under rates if anything. in rc nitro the c12 dyno'd in @ over 1bhp and novarossi said 1hp. sirio says their off road buggy motor is 2.8 and it dyno'd in @ 2.35.

bubbafien
Ummm, any research I have done on the Epic .18, says 1.8HP @39,000 RPM. You cannot argue with that, unless you have a person mini-tune at your home, in which you can measure BHP on the small nitro motors. Until that time, I will go with what the company states as FACT, and what you're saying, as HERESAY. As of now, this post is closed. It's way off track anyway, and I see where no more positive info can be re-enforced.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:19 AM
caseyddr

Default RE: Is the Traxxas T Maxx reliable?

dont kill me freak anyways with the whole engine topic of EPIC, if you go to any review on an EPIC product, you will see that EPIC also UNDERRATES there products, expecially there batteries. Check it out bubba, "do some research" haha and proper gearing has nothing to do with 1/8 scale ON ROAD going fast, those suckers will hit 70+ w/o breaking a sweat. 80 would easily be obtainable with room.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:27 PM
wally10k

You will be spending some money when you crash it but consider what you would spend if you crash real trucks at these scale speeds!!!! I do a number of Bulkhead replacements but they are cheap ($8/pair) and I like to have something that gives.

RPM arms are a must on the front, haven't broken a stock rear yet.

Have stock 2.5 with hogged out air box and Sirio pipe with nearly 3 gallons through it and still wheelies. Tuning takes time but will reward you with many hours of fun.

Go for it!
Old 09-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Kuma

[q

bubbafien
There's one thing about Sirio and many other companies, I usually don't believe the numbers Sirio releases for most of their motors and the price of their motors! I read somewhere that their Sirio .21 (or was it .27) does 3.1 hp, which may be possible but they should proove it or have a magazine review and dyno it. I've been seeing the Epic .18 saying it does 1.8 hp, again I'm skeptical.

Sometimes a company like OS would post a lower hp than their engine actually produces- Like the RG's 1.9 hp which I believe is somewhere closer to 2.2 hp. I'm certain my GS 21B01 produces an accurate 2.2 hp.

Back on topic, The T-Maxx is reliable once you go aluminum on some parts (chassis braces, bumpers, skid plates, perhaps shock towers) and throw in CVD's all around. I would say going RPM on A-Arms but my neighbour just littelry snapped his brand new RPM A-arms yesterday at the track. I wouldn't go aluminum on A-arms due to experience of having it hit my leg.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:38 PM
bubbafien

i never said you had to gear an on raod high. i said for an off road you would. i am very aware that an on road can, has, and will.

BTW i thought you didn't believe magazines anyway...

bubbafien
Old 09-08-2003, 09:30 PM
rcman1953
My Feedback: (5)

I agree the 2.5 T-maxx is a good truck. Things are going to break on any truck depending on how hard you bash it. The majority of the posts are on the 2.5 engine. The 2.5 TRX is a great engine. It all comes down to tuning it properly. Listen to what Traxxas is saying on how to tune it. It works! I had trouble in the beginning with the slide sticking. I did everything Traxxas said to do, but nothing helped. It was a lemon carb. Quality control cannot be perfect all the time. I bought a new carb from www.rcboyz.com for $37.00 and it has performed flawlessly. My T-Maxx has been clocked at over 40 mph and still does wheelies when I want them. I am a backyard basher and my T-Maxx doesn't let me down. Good support and tons of hop-ups and accessories if you want them. I read all the posts on how the Savage is better than the T-Maxx and the Pirate is better than the Terra Crusher which is better than the Mad Force, etc, etc. It's all a matter of choice and what looks better to you and what you plan to do with the truck. Enjoy the hobby and enjoy the truck you decide to buy.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:22 PM
Yacoltster

The Tmaxx is a good truck. Granted I have very few stock parts left on mine. That was by choice not because they broke! The 2.5 is a little trickier to tune than say the old PRO 15 or O.S. 15 but let's face it...the motor makes a lot more POWER. If your having trouble tuning your 2.5 search the web. Plenty of people have perfected the art and have made their knowledge available to the rest of us.
The week point of a new, and old, tmaxx is steering. Get rid of the bushings in the crank bells and replace with bearings! Get a 5 cell receiver pack and high torque steering servo. These are the best improvements you can make! Then replace broken parts as you LEARN TO DRIVE.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:56 AM
TheMachine

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grampi, yes people may be exagerating just a tad...but the end result is the same !, you have to spend a boat load of money..and more time fixing that driving to run a T-Max,,,which is crap for an expensive R/C. If the T-Max only cost around $200 USD it would be perfectly acceptable performance and durability wise......but the fact is that the radio, plastics and driveline ARE sub-standard, low grade and cheapo. As for the aftermarket support... thats because it genuinely needs it !....and people get caught having to fix and upgrade the POS so its not a total waste of money....and we all know how that ends !!!!!

As for your comments about the magazines touting the the T-Max as number 1...if you know anything or have learnt anything about magazine reviews you`ll know they are totally bogus !...they get paid off.. and or tell the masses what they want to hear ! Its often the case that the un-informed user in the street which only spends a little once in a while ACTUALLY drives the market !...not the experienced R/C vetran. LHS have a lot to do with this.....I know its hard for them to stay in bussiness, but how can they sleep at night with all the BS and fraud(or selective omissions) they perpertrate !

The T-max when brand spanking new may run OK for a while....but once things get worn and fatigue it will become a constant, expensive work-in-progress, NO the T-Max is NOT reliable or durable unless you spend many hundreds of dollars wisely on upgrades(I say wisely because its a hard choice....and some hop-ups are actually just shinney crap)

TM
Old 11-03-2003, 05:13 PM
j-maxx

this is what u need for the maxx rpm arms aluminum bulkheads a fantom .18 new pipe high torque steering servo
Old 11-04-2003, 12:01 AM
tmaxx4me

I have to agree and disagree with a lot of points in this post. First the plastic on the tmaxx is the wost by far. I have had my 2.5 for 2 months and replaced the shocks, bulkheads, shock towers, and bumpers in the first month, BUT in the past month the only thing i've had to buy for my truck is fuel. The parts I had to replace happened mainly when I tried to get my truck to fly (not what its made for). The engine only died twice (when I ran it in water) and i've never been in the tranny except for the forward only gear. I have put my truck through he** and back and I'm EXTREMELY pleased.

My friend on the other hand bought a savage 25 and out of the box had to have a one way bearing, and on his fourth tank the rod let loose.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:06 AM
Sigmun

Is there a possibility that traxxas has a quality control problem? Because some people talk so much good about them and then there are others which bash the truck.

What do you think?
Old 11-04-2003, 05:08 PM
j-maxx

if u want to bash imo u need rpm arms hitec hightorque servo and aluminum bulkheads and maybe a fantom .18
Old 11-04-2003, 05:43 PM
hose man
My Feedback: (9)

All trucks have there issues some more than others (TRAXXAS) I have own a tmaxx and savage and I think that the quality is far better in the savage a quality truck. Tmaxx is nothing more than boat anchor
Hosed by Traxxas
Old 11-04-2003, 07:16 PM
kennebell50

The Tmaxx is old news and I wish people would stop talking about it.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:49 PM
The Boss

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THE SIMPLE QUESTION; Is the Traxxas T Maxx reliable?... NO!,... not when you compare it to many other nitro M/T trucks out there and more importantly the t maxx offers you a very POOR value for your money compared to other nitro M/T trucks on the market today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.