Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Coming soon to the US

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Coming soon to the US

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:18 PM
dignlivn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Coming soon to the US

Ouote "but I do not like to live in Florida, there are just to much foreigner and Crime. "

That's why there are no Florida natives still living there lol. Me,i'm
in the beautiful North Carolina mountains. Where ever you pick to
live, I wish you well ! Welcome !

Bob

dignlivn

Old 11-30-2007, 01:20 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Welcome to RCUniverse (and possibly to the US)!

The east coast is the most densely populated, and therefore they have a hard time finding flying fields.
Down in my "neck of the woods" on the East Coast, there are flying fields a'plenty...

If only because the denser population congregates the demand a lot, causing clubs to go looking for suitable sites.
Most of our clubs are very well equipped with asphalt runways, etc.

Now because of the new EPA dump site guidelines, we'll also be seeing a bunch of new fields opening up on lands which the government is going to make available to RC clubs ( check this months AMA mag for info... what a GOOD DEAL for RC'rs! ).

Old 11-30-2007, 01:39 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Irish.. you are so right. I just wish they would use their brakes more often, that's all.. [:@]

One character was mad at me for stopping at the stop sign. Imagine that. When I left the stop sign, he tried to pass me in the middle of the intersection, but didn't cut his wheel hard enough and tagged my left rear. Unfortunate for him, all he did was dent my tail pipe, but he managed to push the thing right into one of those very expensive headlight lenses and his left front bumper. Cost him much more to fix his car than it cost him to fix mine...

The other was a nice old man that had just, and I mean just.. bought a new Caddy... tagged me right square in the center of my rear bumper. I was more concerned he was gonna have a heart attack than anything else.. poor old guy. Nice man, though. Not like the first jerk.

Re: Flying fields on EPA landfill areas. Venice Florida (very crime free, BTW), has that setup. Very nice, too. Paved runway, grass overrun and grass parallel runway, covered spectator area and assembly area, designated flying spots, and a paved control-line area. Very nice.

CGr
Old 11-30-2007, 01:42 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: opjose

Welcome to RCUniverse (and possibly to the US)!

The east coast is the most densely populated, and therefore they have a hard time finding flying fields.
Down in my "neck of the woods" on the East Coast, there are flying fields a'plenty...

If only because the denser population congregates the demand a lot, causing clubs to go looking for suitable sites.
Most of our clubs are very well equipped with asphalt runways, etc.

Now because of the new EPA dump site guidelines, we'll also be seeing a bunch of new fields opening up on lands which the government is going to make available to RC clubs ( check this months AMA mag for info... what a GOOD DEAL for RC'rs! ).

Yeah, I flew at a real nice field in Baltimore, near the Potapsco (spell) river. Nice bunch of guys there, and a very nice field.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:07 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Yeah, Irish.. you are so right. I just wish they would use their brakes more often, that's all.. [:@]

One character was mad at me for stopping at the stop sign. Imagine that. When I left the stop sign, he tried to pass me in the middle of the intersection, but didn't cut his wheel hard enough and tagged my left rear. Unfortunate for him, all he did was dent my tail pipe, but he managed to push the thing right into one of those very expensive headlight lenses and his left front bumper. Cost him much more to fix his car than it cost him to fix mine...

CGr
No one seems to believe in brakes on this side of the country... nor common courtesies... nor "rational" driving habits.

Dunno how many people I've seen weaving in and out of trafic with their cell phones glued to their ears, cutting people off, rushing into oncoming traffic, etc.

Sadly when they travel outside the region, they carry these tendancies with them, enticing usually sane middle state drivers to act the same way.

I suspect that all of this is being caused by that river of evil pink goo running through the old subway lines in the N.Y. area.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Live Wire

Don't leave out colorful Colorado We have warm, hot, cold and colder, take your pick flat land and mountains and great RC flying with plenty of places to buy more Goodies
It would be just like home
Old 11-30-2007, 03:39 PM
JustErik

You might want to consider a small college town. A good university will attract people from around the world. Given that, the "locals" tend to be a bit more tolerant and accepting of foreign individuals. Also, there is a good chance you will find at least a handful of your countrymen around so you won't feel totally disconnected from your roots. I happen to live in such a town and really enjoy the diversity of the area. You name the nationality and I bet I've run across a representative.

Just an idea.....
Old 11-30-2007, 04:30 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Try here with me in Ky. We build Corvettes here. All you have to do to fit in is learn how to eat cat fish. O, yes, don't use your turn lights. If you do no one believes you. Dennis
Old 11-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Hankytalk

Hello again,

It’s very interesting to read something about politic & corruption, but I thought both of this means the same thing, well as my aunt would like to say, there are one thing that u never should discuss… politic & religion.
Here in Germany we have the same thing going on, tax tax tax, political promises from each side just made to get your votes, but like janet Jeckson use to sing “ what have hi don for u lately ?! “.

Well… if I thinking about America I think about the friendly people and the experience which I make on my last tow vacation in VA and TN, some of u would not belief how unfriendly and disrespectful the Germans could be.

At the first time I been into a Wal*Mart somewhere in VA I was confused because every time when somebody has cross my way they says “excuse me please “, here in Germany there wouldn’t say that, there will pushing u the shopping car into your heels.
Nobody have time to care somebody, just going straight ahead and take care the own things, u also could call it quick living.

I like the way how the cashiers ask me “ hi yaa, how is it going “ ore “ hi, u doing fine to day ?! “, over here u would be lucky even to get an simple Hello form the cashiers.

@ Adui

>> If you have the time, and play it right you could end up with your job already had before moving. <<

Well that’s exactly what I tray to do, I already turn in some applications to the Eastman company in Kingsport but without any response, it isn’t a question of time because I’ve got more time that I like to have for my own, it’s not easy to keep a clearly mind if u hanging a round 24 hours per day and do noting just because u can’t get a job.

I work 30 years in Germany just to pay my bills, the Apartment, the pension contribution, all the insurance, last but not least the employer insurance and now the employer centre just telling me that I am too old for a job, but any how... if I like to work… there are some jobs for 4-5 € per Hour.

I said, ok… so if I go work there each day 10 hours from Monday to Friday, it will bring me 1100 € bucks per month, but what about all the tax, the gasoline which have to pay by myself, if I take everything off (tax, health insurance, social insurance, extra tax for east Germany, the gas I would need) there are only 40 % left.

But why should I take a job like this if the employer centre have to pay me anyway each month 1350 cash till next year may, there also have to pay for my health insurance because there get pay from me 30 years long without doing any services and now there telling me I am to old.

Ok, let me ask something else for the Hobby.

I would like to take some special thinks to the US when I am leaving and a See box will cost me a lot.

My NC self-made milling machine, two Plotters (one just to make Drawings and the other to cut foils), an small lathe / milling combination, two 5 cylinders radial engine ( Moki Gasoline & Seidel Glow ) I think that would be all.

All my models I will sale to somebody (it break my heart).

U think I doing right?

Old 11-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Hankytalk

Del.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:24 PM
goirish

Hey Hankytalk
Are you familiar with a company by the name of falcon trading company--they sell floats called
galleggianti I am trying to buy a set buy I don't know how to determine the cost. If they say 86.00 in their money how much is that in USD?
Old 11-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Hankytalk

ORIGINAL: goirish

Hey Hankytalk
Are you familiar with a company by the name of falcon trading company--they sell floats called
galleggianti I am trying to buy a set buy I don't know how to determine the cost. If they say 86.00 in their money how much is that in USD?
Try this

http://de.finance.yahoo.com/waehrungsrechner

and no i am not familiar with this company []
Old 11-30-2007, 08:11 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Hankytalk,
Take a look at Maryville, Tn. You can take a look at our flying field at http://www.fly-bcma.com. We have a great bunch of guys and have a great time flying. We also have a lot of industry around he area.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:26 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hankytalk

My last job here in germany :

06/1990 - 05/2006 Assembly operator, IWK Packing technology GmbH, Stutensee

• Base machines and Supply Chain for Cartoners, Tubefilling machines & Handling Systems

• Build up complex structural Components

• Final assembly, Justifying and implementing from packing units.

• Disassembly for shipment and deliveries

• Local Installation at customers production hall

• Repairing aggregates and mechanical components

So this would be all for to day , just waiting now for some useful information.

Please Pn me.

See Ya and thx for reading.

My company here in central California is always having a hard time finding technically skilled people. We need people to service forklift trucks, especially the Jungheirnich electrics from Germany (you wouldn't even have to translate the manuals...). I know this doesn't exactly match what you've been doing but I'm sure you could learn based on your skills. The weather here is hot & dry all summer then cool & damp all winter. The winters are mild enough though that we still manage to get in quite a few flying days as long as you don't mind the cool mornings or waiting for fog to lift. We have a great RC club with a nice flying field.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:01 AM
buckskin

Check out Ditch Witch in Perry, OK they build underground constuction equipment and are hiring right now. There are several other good companies around that I am sure would be happy to give someone with your skills a job. We may have tornadoes in Oklahoma but we also have low crime , low cost of living, great people, and some excellent flying sites. You can also fly all year if you can handle a little wind. I know of good flying fields all around the state. I drive a truck all over the U.S. and am always glad to get back to the heartland.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:12 AM
Hankytalk

Del.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Firebird25

While you may be a Citizen of the USA, your familiarity with our country [yours and mine] might be negatively influenced by what you have seen on TV or during short periods that you may have been here. You have to experience it for yourself what the situation is and I can assure you it is not what Hollywood wants you to believe...

About 30 years ago I was in a somewhat similar position as you are, although I was not a Citizen yet [moved from the Netherlands to the USA].

My advice based on what you wrote is the following:

Doing long distance looking for a job is an almost impossible thing to do unless you are a well known expert in your professional field. You have one advantage though:

a. Since the company you work for [ IWK Packing Technology GmbH] seems to have a Davenport, Iowa subsidiary, you might ask for a transfer to that location. What you bring to the table is bi-lingual ability, familiarity with the product line etc. Davenport, Iowa has an industrial base and from what I heard it is not a bad place to live.

b. Find companies through an Google search that operate in the USA in the packaging field, and I assure you there are many.

If I were in your shoes I would concentrate my efforts on the industry that you are familiar with as there you have most to offer, whereas just another machining job might not be as lucrative.

Good luck

PS Check this : http://sharepoint.davenportrc.org/default.aspx
Old 12-01-2007, 01:26 PM
PipeMajor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HankyTalk,

I believe wherever you decide to live in the USA you will be welcome. True, there are some hard feelings about illegal aliens but, you're an American!!!

I also live now in Minnesota but in the Minneapolis/St Paul metropolitan area. About 100 miles southwest of the twin cities is a lovely town named New Ulm. It is perhaps one of the largest German communities in the USA and has a statue of Hermann, the German, in honor of the German/Bohemian immigrants who settled there in the 1870's.

In fact, wherever you travel in the USA you will likely find strong heritage connections to our European ancestors, whether they be German, French, Irish, Italian or any other country throughout the world.

I came to Minnesota 11 years ago from the Seattle/Tacoma area of Washington state. My job in Minnesota was with TÃœV Product Service which was the US affiliate of TÃœV-Bayern, GmbH (now TÃœV SUD). While I never had to opportunity to travel to Germany, my daughter's high school band made a trip to Iceland, Germany and Austria last year. She loved it!

Let us know what you decide and where. There will be model airplane enthusiasts everywhere. And GREAT prices!!! Good luck!
Old 12-01-2007, 09:05 PM
buckskin

It looks like you are getting good advice from people who understand your situation better than I do. But I would have to agree that you can find work in your field in nearly any part of the U.S. You have some time to do your research and decide. Wherever you decide to settle let us know and I'm sure someone can help you get lined up with a club and a good hobby shop.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:56 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Unlike Michigan we have 4 different seasons here in Oklahoma. Hot, hotter, still hot, and Christmas!!!!!
Don't forget "Tornado"
Those tornado things are just for slopers who built a little heavy.
Check out SW Missouri and NW Arkansas this area is growing fast and has a lot of new industry.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Firebird25

Handytalk,

Here's an afterthought, but an important one: Selection of where you may wish to live or getting that fantastic job become secondary to some practical issues. Namely the legalities/paperwork involved in moving to the USA. This applies to both leaving Germany and entering the USA. Also, while you may have US Citizenship, the same may not be the case for your son, as you did not mention that. So, as some additional advice, you may want to visit your local US Consulate to verify what really needs to be done. When dealing with bureaucracies as large as DOS and in particular ICE [formerly INS], you may have to add significant time to your most pessimistic forecast as to completion of paperwork. [There even may be a question of a required "sponsorship" .] Then again, you may be lucky.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:57 AM
Hankytalk

Well it could be possible that my son will not get the US-Citizenship, but anyhow, I do not Know his Proposes in the future, it also could be that he likes to go back to Germany after he is full age.

It will be his choice to make the decision to stay in the Sates or go back to Germany, if hi likes to stay (so I think) then I would be the right person which could make a Sponsoring for him ( as an US-Citizen), in fact… I have to Sponsor him anyhow!

If the Particular institutions do not accept my Sponsoring for his US-Citizenship there are still some other persons like my father as well my aunt in Tennessee,( well I hopeful don’t need them).

I think that would be the smallest problem that we could get… a much bigger problem would be if we, perhaps my son… has to make an decision between the German Citizen and the US-Citizen shipment.

Well, I didn’t had to make this decision ones before because I had get my US-Citizen while living in Germany, so I’ve got both Citizenship and nobody told me to make a decision between German and US.

But I don’t know how is set going in the American way of Paperwork, I could be that he will loos one to get another.

But tanks for remind me on this point of situation, I will get in to it for more information’s.

By this way…. I am feeling better now, had a hard time behind me, after I sold my Vette someone from the family find out that I planning to leave Germany and there came a long to change my mind.

Well as u can see… get some money and the family ore friends would drop an eye on you…..

Will write some more later…

Nice regrets

Werner
Old 12-04-2007, 09:55 AM
skromfols

I'm glad that someone from the West Coast finally spoke up. Yes, we have an actor for a governor and our taxes are higher than I'd like, but Northern California is a great place to live. In the San Joaquin Valley you have enough industry to find jobs, and by driving an hour you can be at the ocean or snow skiing. We have mild winters, long Springs and Falls, and summer, while hot, is not humid. As for accepting people from other countries, we are probably one of the largest melting pots in the USA. We have a variety of RC activities and flying fields. I don't see how anyone would not want to live here.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Hankytalk

Hi to anyone,

First of all I like to tell u that I may will be consented on the Areas India, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee, but this isn’t my the last choice , it is still up to the Job situation and the Possibilities to get an job which Satisfying my needs.

@ Chuckw
So that for I also interest on that job in central CA (maintenance Fork lifters Junghans ) it would be nice to have some more information’s about that Company, if u don’t mind, Please give me a Email Address which I can use to get in touch with( just Pn Me ).

@All
Anyhow, if some of u could give me some Email Addresses form company’s which are looking or needed People with Skills (like I have) for Maintenance on any kind of mechanical machines, please just let me know.
I had learn to Work accurate, had learn (for example) to scrape metal curve for switch gears with a precision form 0.001 mm.( metric)

Well... problem there we are…. The different system between US an Germany, I had learn to handles Meters, Centimetres, millimetres, tenth part millimetres and so forth.

But I think I don’t will get any big problems if the job isn’t precise the same ore fit as he do like before, I still abele to learn and I like too, just like the way I get in to the English league now.

I was surprise (two day’s ago) how my knowledge about English has change by Talking on the phone to my father. The words that I had spoken to him come out from my mind easily and quick. (That’s some kind of satisfaction).

Ok guys… I still didn’t get some answers about my equipments which I like to take to the States, please take a look to the pic. and tell me your views , should I take it or not, down under u could see the rough Prices that I Spent for it.

Self-made NC-Milling machine (3 axis), driveways (Z 14,96) (Y 21,5) (X 47,24) inch, very solid & precise, I just have tanked the best mechanical things to build it up. Resolution each Motor step 0.002 mm, I had use this machine to Produce Parts for our Hobby and sales.

I do not know if I ever would be abele again to build up a second machine like this, anyhow…. It’s so much work to do this.

I also built up the Electric controlling unit, this unit has four outputs so it also could be in use to cut foam ( 4 axis).

Well…. Just only for all the Parts I spent about 1200 € = (1680 $), if I put this Milling machine in to EBay I could bring about 2000 ore 2500 € (without engagement especially if I start with 1 €).

The Next thing I like to take is my lathe - milling combination, I had use this to modify many saw engines and also to build up the NC-Milling Machine.

Well 18 Years ago I spent 1500 € for this lathe and if I should sale it now (eBay)… maybe could get 800 to 1200 €.

Also my two Plotters I like to take to the States, the big one I use to make Printings from wings, airplane body’s and other Drawings, Size maximum A0 ( 250 €)

The Small plotter I just bought copular Months ago ( 540 €) and I just like to use this one to Cut foils ( it’s specialty made for it ).

How about the following Engines, how much do I have to spend if I like to buy them in the States.

Moki S 215 ccm Gasoline brand New never has been in use before ( 2800 €)

Seidel 125 ccm Glow use copular times ( 2500 )

I also like to take one or two model with me, but it’s a quotation of free space in the See box (if I not sales the machines).

Boing Stearman PT 17 with 3W 60 I Engines ( 60 ccm ) Wingspan 94 inch , 35 pounds .

GeeBee Sportster Double Wing , this is the one which I like to install the Moki Engine.

U can get some more information about this Plane (but only in German) by click the link .

http://www.modellbau-barth.de/

ore

http://www.fliegerland-shop.de/eigen...ortster_dd.htm

All the Plywood Parts and the Drawings are made on my NC-Milling Machine and Plotters, Mr. Barth is one of my Customers and I would like to know who produce his Parts after I have left Germany.

A See box will cost me about 2500 - 3000 € ore 3500 - 4200 Dollars, so what should I do, pay the shipment ore Sale everything to save the Money and buy them new…….

Please do not have scruple about the different Voltage ( US 110 V and Germ 240 V) or Hz 60/50, there is noting I could not fix....

By this way, what do u thing would be the best time to change ten money that i´ve got in to US-Dollar, while ore after the presidency Bush, a low Dollar would give me a god change.

See ya as soon as possible
Old 12-12-2007, 12:59 AM
JPGale

I have to back the calls for Northern California, I am an Englishman and I live near San Jose, it is very safe not that big city like even if it is the 10th biggest in the US. The best thing is there are alot of europeans in this area, being the heart of silicone valley it is expensive, but the local economy is very good and you might be able to find something here. The local clubs are very good, including mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.