Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which Aeroplane Gyros are best?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Which Aeroplane Gyros are best?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Which Aeroplane Gyros are best?

ORIGINAL: Jack Diaz

Guys, these threads get very technically complicated and too emotional.
Fortunately the gyros issue is a lot simpler than that, and I will try to explain.

I will not discuss gyros for nose gear stabilization or for dutch roll dampening since that subject is well discussed and accepted.
I will only refer to gyros for ailerons.

Let me first say that up to a couple of months ago I was strongly against gyros for ailerons. I thought that using them was against the Macho man nature
Peter Goldsmith convinced me to try one when we met at Florida Jets this year.
I decided to try it, and this is my finding:

I was expecting Help from the gyro during the flight, like correcting or avoiding mistakes or flaws. But it just didn't happen that way.
What a properly adjusted aileron gyro does, is to allow the pilot to be able now to ''see'' and ''feel'' the beauty of his own flight. Honestly, that is a sensation that I don't recall having experimented before.
It is like if the enjoyment valve in your brain gets opened a couple of turns.
I don't know the scientific explanation for this phenomenon, but that is what happens. Probably, your brain was too busy doing thousands of micro-corrections before. I guess!

Needless to say, this magic will only happen if the pilot is already able to fly beautiful ''without'' a gyro. Otherwise it will be a waste of money; because if any, the gyro will just retard the learning process, while in addition, introducing another component whose behavior under some critical circumstances remains a dark mystery as has been demonstrated throughout this thread. Your probabilities of putting yourself under those critical circumstances should be minimal before the decision of using a gyro.

Regards,
Jack
Ha Jack I have been flying my F100 Bandit and P80 with Aileron and nose gear gyros for years. Love it. I also landed a P80 with one flap down because the servo quit and felt the gyro bought me time to control the ailerons. I use my gear channel are as a control to reduce rate at high speed. See you after Kentucky Jets. Dan
Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking I am going to add a second gyro on Aileron on my flash just for the hell of it to see what it does....

Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave My F100 does not use crow . The gyro controls both. I can not tell the difference. Dan Avilla BVM Rep
Old 06-22-2011, 02:06 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Peter Goldsmith convinced me to try one when we met at Florida Jets this year.
Odd that JR is pushing the use of gyros in jets when they don't even make an airplane gyro anymore.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:17 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Craig,
I think you may find thats changing. I have just seen the new TAGS01 gyro from JR. Triple Axis and specifically for fixed wing by the looks of it. I also know that Pete was playing with a new specific single axis aero gyro as well.
Regards Al
Old 06-22-2011, 05:05 AM
SpiderJets

Judging by the japanese JR promo video, it's a heli gyro (see YouTube) (JR TAGS-01)
Old 06-22-2011, 05:46 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Craig, the JR G-370-3D is what I am using. Just stay in the Gyro mode not in the heading hold one.
From 50 to 0 gain is plain gyro. From 50 to 100 gain is heading hold. 50 being no gain at all. 100 is full heading hold gain, and 0 is full gyro gain.
A value of about 40 is perfect for ailerons.

As Ali mentioned, a similar gyro to the 370 with no heading hold mode is being made for airplanes.

I use the flap switch to increase the gain to 38 for landing.

Jack
Old 06-22-2011, 07:22 AM
CraigG

Hi Craig, the JR G-370-3D is what I am using. Just stay in the Gyro mode not in the heading hold one.
From 50 to 0 gain is plain gyro. From 50 to 100 gain is heading hold. 50 being no gain at all. 100 is full heading hold gain, and 0 is full gyro gain.
A value of about 40 is perfect for ailerons.

As Ali mentioned, a similar gyro to the 370 with no heading hold mode is being made for airplanes.

I use the flap switch to increase the gain to 38 for landing.

Jack

Thanks Jack
Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I put a GYA350 gyro on the rudder and a GYA352 on the elevons of my new Gripen. They're programmed to a 3-position switch with settings of Normal/Off/AVCS. The idea (perhaps it's a bad one) is to see what the gyros (in heading lock mode) can do to lock in the plane at a specific attitude to do a high alpha flyby and several other maneuvers.

Ali, perhaps you can give me your thoughts on this and maybe a bit of help fine tuning it in Kentucky.

Regards,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22876.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1626339  
Old 06-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Ali

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Jim .
I have never really used ( Apart from accidentally) any of the aero gyros in heading hold mode. I always ATV out the AVCS mode and that seems to work just fine.
I will be more than happy to help at Kentucky jets. We can always have a play and switch it in and out and se how it goes if you want.
Which Gripen is it?
Regards Al
Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Ali,

Sounds gooid, we can play with the AVCS and see what it can do at KY. I'd appreciate the help.

This is a 1/7 Skymaster Gripen with extra conformal fuel tanks, a P120SE, and smoke system. Empty weight 25.4lbs

I've got an AW Gripen too but the build hasn't started yet and is just in the planning stages. The gyros in the 1/7 are a test setup for the AW. Some of the flight dynamics guys from work are giving me a hand with the control system for the AW Gripen. It looks pretty fancy so far (what I understand of it) with individual controllers on the canards and mini laser-ring gyros. Apparently I'll have to bring a laptop to the field if I need to fine tune the programs. I'm a structures guy so this all looks like pure friggin magic to me but the flight guys assure me that it will be easy.

The plan is to have it ready for KY 2012 so you can fly it next year.

Regards,

Jim
Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Steve Moore

Well, I would just like to thank everyone for their input on this topic from my initial question of which Aeroplane Gyro is best.

Now we have had all sorts of comments in response to my initial question, and the two Greek guys (johnnie Red and Del Gato) have also contributed which I feel is very kind. I think they did misunderstand my question as correctly pointed out by Craig B. I was asking which gyro to use, not IF i should use a gyro. I fly with some of the best RC Jet pilots in the world and they have faith in gyros, they put tens of thousands of ££££ in the air and use these little boxes of tricks with no issues.

Johnnie Red, I can understand your frustration that you hold a PPL and people do not appear to be agreeing with your statements. What you have to understand is there is a hell of a lot of experience from all sorts of aviation backgrounds on here contributing to this post. Be it all disciplines of model flying or full size. For example I personally know guys who are contributing on here that have far more than a PPL, I personally hold a fATPL (CPL/IR) and there are several guys on here flying all sorts of heavy full sizes jets/props for a living, you would be a wise man to take on board some of the advice they are offering.

So we are still none the wiser as to the best gyro for ailerons, be it ACT or Futaba 351 etc

I will probably opt for the Futaba as my good friend my Geoff White has one in his Hunter and it is simply awesome, now just need to find out if it will work with JR/Spektrum AR9200 Evolution..............

Thanks guys

Steve
Old 06-24-2011, 02:02 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Geoff White
If I was to use another make, I would use ACT with no concerns as they are extensively used in Europe and I have heard no bad reports. On the contrary, I actually bought a top of the range ACT gyro([link=http://www.acteurope.de/html/flachenkreisel_airplane_gyros.html]ACT Gyro[/link]) 2-3 years ago, never got round to trying it, sold it onto a mate who is using it in his Typhoon and he reports it works brillliantly.
That was me and yes I am extremely pleased with it.

Something to consider is fade out, the ACT gyro has it and is adjustable, maybe it is so standard that some gyros don’t mention it but I can’t see anything about it on the description of the Futaba 351 on Ripmax’s website. Fade out means the gyro response is reduced as you move the control stick. If the gyro does not fade out, it fights your controls. If it does not fade out, then your travel is reduced by the amount of travel the gyro gain allows. For example, if travel is 15mm, and the gyro gain allows 4mm of travel, you apply full aileron but the gyro fights against it by applying 4mm opposite travel so all you get is 11mm of travel instead of 15mm. I found that with fade out turned off, roll rate is much slower. The only way around this, without fade-out, is to mechanically increase the travel by for example moving the pushrod further out the servo arm, which means getting less pushrod force from the servo’s torque, and more linear slop from the servo gear lash. In the above example, you would have to increase travel on the ground to 19mm, in order to get 15mm travel in the air. With fade-out you don’t have to do that, therefore fade-out can be a very good thing. I use full rate fade-out on the ACT gyro on my Typhoon, and am programming a very steep fade-out for the gyros in my Weatronic Rx.

Harry
Old 06-24-2011, 02:03 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That’s a good response post Steve as you say subjects always seem to get clouded.
Therefore I will try to answer the question directly as I am using three different gyros in three different jets.

I have an ACT gyro in my FB T33 and it is as far as I am concerned the best the model is
Absolutely rock solid and moreover there is no appreciable bounce during a four point, a manoeuvre difficult to gyro stable.

I have just fitted an old Wingo (an early version of the ACT I believe) in my DH110 and wish I had long ago it too has transformed the model completely cured it of the ugly dutch roll it exhibited.

I have a Futaba 351 on my FB F15e and am considering swapping it for an ACT as the gyro cannot control the model during a four point in that on the third quarter the model
has a tendency to continue to roll even with the gyro at maximum. I know the ailerons
are small on this model never the less I believe the ACT will cure it, we’ll see.

m
Old 06-24-2011, 02:34 AM
CraigG

ORIGINAL: HarryC
Something to consider is fade out, the ACT gyro has it and is adjustable, maybe it is so standard that some gyros don’t mention it but I can’t see anything about it on the description of the Futaba 351 on Ripmax’s website. Fade out means the gyro response is reduced as you move the control stick. If the gyro does not fade out, it fights your controls. Harry
I wish it were standard Harry but I don't think it is. JR refers to this as "stick priority". They have you compensate for it by programming the gyro gain on a mix-curve....normal gain with the control stick centered and reducing to zero gain at full stick throw. I think Futaba has a different term for it but essentially does the same thing.

I need 2 axis gyro control on my Eurosport so I'm going to try a Futaba 352 and program it with mixing curves on my JR 12X. We'll see how it goes.

Craig
Old 06-24-2011, 02:44 AM
Geoff White

Hi Harry,

The 351 has got a 'fade out' adjustment but they call it 'Control Gain Trimmer' and its a pot on the front of the Gyro.

Interesting that Mick has run both makes and feels the ACT is better. I will probably try an ACT one next in my F100.

Geoff.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:25 AM
Couch Potato

ORIGINAL: HarryC
I use full rate fade-out on the ACT gyro on my Typhoon,
Hi Harry, is this a prop aileron only Typhoon, or elevon Eurofighter Typhoon ?

Cheers,

Julian.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 AM
HarryC

It's the jet with elevons Julian (Grumania Eurofighter).

That makes for interesting programming of the gyro. As elevators, the elevons require large travel, but when used as ailerons the travel is very small. The ACT gyro can be set to the travel limits so that its gain remains in proportion to the amount of travel whether large or small. But when I did that using the aileron travel as the limit, which seemed like a good idea since the gyro is on roll axis, it also limited the elevator signal being passed through the gyro, so elevator got the same max travel as aileron. Therefore I had to set the gyro limit back up to the elevator travel limit. Fortunately I spotted that issue before flying it! To get a small to medium gain on aileron then requires the gyro to be at its lowest possible setting, as its gain is working relative to the large elevator travel rather than the tiny aileron travel. Increasing the gain just slightly allows the gyro to drive the ailerons beyond the normal aileron control amount. It made it jolly sensitive to get the setting right, one click back of the slider and the gain turned off, 2 clicks further forward of the slider and the gain went high enough to set off its own rapid hunting in roll. It also means I have the fade out at max and want even more fade out, since again the gyro thinks that fade out should reach max at elevator size of travel and is seeing full aileron as just being a fraction of that so it only does a fraction of the fade out.

Harry
Old 06-24-2011, 05:52 AM
Couch Potato

Thanks for the explanation Harry.
Elevon control with a gyro sounds too complex with little benefit.
And splitting the elevon for outboard aileron and inboard elevator is not recommended on the Typhoon (and other deltas)?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:06 AM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: Couch Potato

Thanks for the explanation Harry.
Elevon control with a gyro sounds too complex with little benefit.
It's not complex, you just need to understand why it doesn't quite do what you thought it was going to do, and the benefit on this Typhoon is massive, I would not fly it without a gyro now. It handles fine without one, but the wobbling looks bad. The wobble also upsets turns, think about pulling a very tight turn with a lot of up elevator, as it wobbles in roll so the flightpath goes slightly up and down too. With the gyro holding the bank angle steady, I can hold on full up elevator in the tightest of turns and there is no wobbling flightpath. A rapid roll into a turn with no rudder to co-ordinate it can set off the yaw which starts the dutch roll. So you can be in level flight with no problems, but snap into a turn and the dutch roll sets off and you don't get a sharp stop in the roll in or out of the turn. Or roll in gently to try and avoid setting off the dutch roll but snap out of the turn and that sets it off again in level flight. Who wants to fly a Typhoon fighter gently? The gyro allows it to be snapped into the tightest of turns and just stay there without dutch rolling its way around the turn and then snap cleanly out of the turn, and thus the gyro has made it much more fun to fly.

The gyro has been so good that it has convinced me to build all future jets with the gyro in place and ready if it is needed, so every Weatronic Rx I have been buying recently has had the built in gyros.

I've not heard that you can't separate elevator and aileron on a delta, but it's not something I have paid much attention to.

H
Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to add a gyro for rudder control only, but the subject is totally foriegn to me. I fly Futaba so should I be looking at the GY520?
Any tips for a novice on this topic? ie. do you switch it on and off as needed? ie. put it on the retracts so after take off where you'd use it you turn it off by retracting the gear?...then what about landing?
Thanks in advance for any tips.....
Old 06-30-2011, 04:16 AM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Futaba 401 on rudder for takeoff on tail draggers and some times for landing. Some tips:

1. Put the gyro on a 2 or 3 position switch. Up is for heading hold mode (AVCS) 70% gain which is used ONLY on takeoff.

2. Down switch turns the gyro off (actually it is rate mode with about 3% gain).

3. If a 3 position switch, I use the middle position for rate mode at 40% gain to control gound loops on landing.

Note that the gyro must be switched off as soon as the plane leaves the ground otherwise you will not be able to contol the plane in the air. Also while in HH mode, do not move the rudder stick because you will get unexpected direction changes. I use a p-mix to blank the rudder control when in HH mode.

The procedure I follow in flying the plane is.

1. Turn the transmitter on with the switch set to HH mode.

2. Turn the receiver on allowing the gyro to initialize.

3. Turn the gyro off to taxi the plane out and line it up for takeoff.

4. Flick the gyro gain control switch three times leaving it in HH mode. This sets the gyro in the correct direction for takeoff.

5. Apply power. When the plane reaches take off speed, pull back on the elevator AND TURN OFF THE GYRO.

6. Fly with the gyro off.

7. When on the landing approach, you can turn the gyro back on in rate mode 40% (middle switch position) for handling cross winds and ground loops.

This approach has been working very well for me on six tail draggers for the past year. Some people do not use HH mode on takeoff for safety reasons but use high gain rate mode. This too can work well. I just prefer HH mode on take off.

Bruce
Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Johnie, George you have both got your knickers in an absolute twist over this whole thing with the result that you are talking, well, nonsense, sorry but no other way to describe it !

Ailerons on models with the tiny amount of deflection they use to achieve the results we are seeking, improved roll stability, can totally ignore adverse yaw problems, its a non event, model or fullsize and I say that after flying a whole range of fullsize jets from small trainers to heavy jets, straight wing, swept wing, crescent wing, with and without spoilers, one two and thee yaw dampers and full autostabs. NEVER yet tried to raise wing in a x-wind with rudder, its DANGEROUS in ANY flying machine. (and a 767 in a 35 k gusty x-wind on a filthy, wet night, is a handful)

Almost all of my jets have aileron gyros, work very well indeed, guys:

ACT Fuzzy, Wingo, JRs of all sorts, Futaba 352s and integrated Weatronics gyros, all work a treat.

Regards,

David.

to future searchers: 2012 update statement from the same guy regarding dangerous problems caused by gyros on ailerons.

post #626 here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93...m.htm#11184084

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Gyros, caution: If you have a gyro on roll and the machine drops a wing at the stall, the gyro will do exactly the wrong thing, ie use aileron to counteract, leading to possible further wing drop, hello spin.

Regards,

David.

By the way that was exactly what i was try to warn everybody back then in this subject.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 AM
basimpsn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What surprise me is how many good pilots are using GYROS I need to look into getting one [8D]
Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

What surprise me is how many good pilots are using GYROS I need to look into getting one [8D]
me too!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11295796

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.