Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

3D Foamy

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 06:06 PM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D Foamy

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble Crash. I've built a ton of foamies and I find the 3D Foamy planes a pleasure to work with. But that's just me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53789.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	188953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71086.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	188954  
Old 11-01-2004, 06:23 PM
t1nk

Some other questions. Do i need an extra servo for the motor (like gas)? If yes, 4 all together (throttle, elev, rud, ailer ???) Micro 9 servos will do i hope... do they go w/ my reg futabe reciever? or do i need a new one of those 2??? :| Once, again, im pretty new at the electric, so plz forgive the dumb quiestions
Old 11-01-2004, 06:51 PM
tashley

You need four servos. Two for ailerons, one for elevator, and one for rudder. The speed control is your throttle. I'm not familiar with the servos that you mention but if they are about the size of the GWS Pico servos they'll do. Every fraction of a gram counts on these foamies, and don't worry about the questions, that's what forums should be all about. As my favorite Drill Sergeant used to say " the only dumb question is the one..............................blah, blah, blah".
Old 11-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

T1NK. There are generally 4 servos required. 1 elev. 1 rudder and 2 for the ailerons. The motor is controlled by an ESC not a servo. The ESC plugs into the throttle channel (usually ch 3) on your Rx.

When I entered electric foamies for the first time I was quite confused also. There are foamy companies out there that sell the complete package. All you need to do is add the transmitter and crystal. For your first foamy, this would be ideal. There are a couple of them. I know that insanefoamies.com and I believe foamyfactory.com both offer a package deal.
Micro 9 servos are fine, that is what I am using. A "regular" receiver is a little heavy. Although i'm sure it will work, a micro receiver would also be ideal.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:25 PM
t1nk

AH! And here i was, calculator in hand, pen in other, scrambling to find everything i needed. THanks ya'll, ill take alook at these packages.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:54 PM
tashley

tink, I would keep that pencil and calculator close by. There really aren't many foamy kit companies out there who sell package deals, to my knowledge Foamy Factory does not and I've found that if you know how to shop for your components you can get better pricing than the "package" deals. Some suppliers of electrics even offer free shipping. If you need a list of suppliers just let me know. I have about a dozen in my favorites list.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:11 PM
t1nk

Tashley -

I have indeed kept the pen and calculator out, and have everything (i hope) i need. Here is my proposed setup:

- Himax 2015-4100 Brushless w/ GWS gear drive (I chose this cause the motor and geardrive came in package deals)

- GWS 12*6 Prop

- Castle Creations Phoenix 25 AMP

- E-tec 3 cell 1200 MAH Lipo

- (4) Micro 9 servos

* By the way, I'm either getting the CAP 232 or Edge, im still undecided (any suggestions would be appreciated). The price of all this came to a little over 300 bucks, which is what i have found most package deals to be w/ about the same setup. Do ya'll see anything I'm missing or have left out, or maybe need to switch something around? I have my transmitter and "regular" receiver (to keep price down). Once again, holler at ANYTHING you think might be better. Thanks [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
- Ben
Old 11-01-2004, 10:25 PM
craigman
My Feedback: (1)

<Craigman... almost all cought up! I'm getting the F-18 park jets done right now.... I should be to your kit on Tuesday.>

Cool! Thanks Levi!
Hope they're as good quality as the Hurley stuff i got from you a while back.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Crash90

Sounds good. There are a few other things that will make your life easier.
Like Foam safe CA and accellerator.

I would also look into ultrafoam kits. The ultrafoam is much more appealing astetically, lighter, smooth surface, and far more flexable than Depron. I know that troybuiltmodels.com has ultrafoam. insane has it and i'm sure a few others do as well.

You will probably need a set of deans micro plugs. Most of the combo kits already have them. If you puchase your stuff seperately you might want to get a pair.
I have also learned quickly that 1 battery is hard to live with. These things are a blast and 15 minutes goes quickly. If it is affordable, may I recommend an extra battery.

The package deals are really nice. Once you buy one, you have everything you need to build your next one.
That's all I can think of.

EDIT. Tashley is correct. Foamyfactory does not sell the combo kits. Do a search if you like you will find a few.
Ohiomodelplanes.com
insanefoamies.com
there are a few otheres.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Levi_Jordan
My Feedback: (21)

I think it's a toss up on the Depron Vs. "Ultrafoam"

Ultrafoam is just FFF without the holes and waves.... It takes a little more abuse, but is harder to repair... it is lighter (by a mouse hair) , but the film will "craze" under flexing...

I prefer Depron simply because it laser cuts better than any other foam.... but if you aren't using that advanced technology for cutting the kits....
Old 11-02-2004, 04:23 AM
Levi_Jordan

ORIGINAL: Crash90

I didn't build any. I ordered the cap232. 1/2 way through construction, I threw it away. [:@] I just got so frustrated.

Crash... did you see the info in your kit that reads....

This Kit is Guaranteed!
1. If you don’t like the quality that you see here, send it back and I’ll refund you what you paid for the kit.
2. If you build it, set it up as recommended, and fly it; but you don’t like how it flies…. Land it, box it up, and send it back. I’ll refund you what you paid for the kit.
3. If you Build it, love it, fly it, crash it… that’s not guaranteed… but I’ll sell you another cheep. Just e-mail me about it.
4. If you are not satisfied with the quality, please E-mail me first.

I never heard from you about this... wish ya would have dropped me a line. Sounds like you had a rough time and I would have like to hear your suggestions.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Crash90

3DFoamy. Hi. You didn't hear from me because I really don't have any complaints on the quality of the kit. The kit quality is excellent. The laser cutting was perfect, the instructions couldn't have been better and there is no doubt that it would have been a great flying bird. It's certainly not YOUR fault that I let my frustrations get the best of me.

As I reread some of my posts, specifically the one you quoted me on, my words came across a bit harsh.
It wasn't until after I received my kit that I learned that you had a short supply of depron. I think that alot of my frustrations came from waiting so long to receive it. Had I known the reason for the delay, things probably would have gone a bit better. Again not your fault. As I scan your web site I seen that you had it posted right on the main page.

When I went down to the workshop this morning and saw what I had done, I felt a bit foolish.
If I were to offer 1 suggestion it would be this.

For the elev, instead of placing 1 ply hinge in the center of the stab, use 2 of them spaced an inch or 2 apart. It would offer a better hinge. Either that or supply 2 micro hinges with the kit.
All of my anger stemed from trying to use tape to hinge the elev. I didn't have hinge points and couldn't locate them on the web. Once I came up with the matchbox idea, it went together very well. It was just too late by then.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:41 AM
tashley

tink, if you can swing the cost, the GWS Pico servos will save you almost a half ounce on your finished weight. If you shop you can find these servos for fourteen to sixteen bucks apiece. The GWS Pico receiver is a good choice as well for reliability and weight factor. The 12-6 is a good choice on props but pick up a couple of 11-4.7's as well. I've tried them both and on some days depending on wind conditions one will work better than the other with your power choice. Be sure and get the gear drive with "D" gearing. JMO on glue choice for Depron, which I feel is the best choice for foamy material, you might want to try tacking the pieces with foam safe ca and then use RC-56 type canopy glue for your main adhesive. The problem I see with strickly using ca is that is does not like to flex and these planes WILL flex. The RC-56 will bend and flex without cracking and it is very strong on Depron.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:55 AM
tashley

tink, as far as the Cap or Edge goes, I've built and flown the Cap and it's a nice flyer. I've also done the Sukhoi, the Turbo Raven, the Extra, am building the Edge and the Giles and have a Velox on the way to be a foamy little brother for my Aerotech 50cc Velox. All the designs fly about the same except the ones that don't have the ailerons extending all the way to the fuselage. The aileron authority is not as crisp in high alpha flight. BTW, if you're looking for hinges try Klett Plastics in Fort Worth. They have a small hinge point that is perfect for these fomies. I'll edit in a link to a build thread I did on the Cap showing a picture of the hinges on this post.[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2161373/anchors_2161373/mpage_1/key_foamy%252Ccap%252Cbuild%252Cthread/anchor/tm.htm#2161373] Here[/link] it is.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:41 PM
t1nk

I'm having trouble seeing if the gearboxes that stores are selling are "D" type. For example, its might say:

"Includes:

Qty. 1 FULLY ASSEMBLED GWS GEARBOX WITH 66 TOOTH SPUR GEAR AND 10 TOOTH BRASS PINION
Qty. 1 BPP CNC ADAPTER PLATE
Qty 1 STAINLESS STEEL PINION XX TOOTH (xx=number of teeth depends on ratio chosen, 10 tooth and 12 tooth may be substituted for brass pinions)
QTY 1 IPS-7A SPINNER"

I see ratio's 6:6:1, but i dont see anything w/ "D" in them. Whats up w/ this? Or am i just missing something...[]
Old 11-02-2004, 03:26 PM
tashley

tink, 6.6:1 is "D" gearing. You're on the right track, but you really don't need a spinner. In fact if you can find one of the hardened short shafts which won't allow a spinner you'll be better off. One weak point on the GWS gearboxes when used in foamies is the soft ***** shafts. A hardened short shaft will only set you back a couple of bucks. Money well spent. All E RC is one place that sells the shafts. You'll need a 3mm.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Crash90

ORIGINAL: Crash90

T1NK. There are generally 4 servos required. 1 elev. 1 rudder and 2 for the ailerons. The motor is controlled by an ESC not a servo. The ESC plugs into the throttle channel (usually ch 3) on your Rx.

When I entered electric foamies for the first time I was quite confused also. There are foamy companies out there that sell the complete package. All you need to do is add the transmitter and crystal. For your first foamy, this would be ideal. There are a couple of them. I know that insanefoamies.com and I believe fancyfoam.com both offer a package deal.
Micro 9 servos are fine, that is what I am using. A "regular" receiver is a little heavy. Although i'm sure it will work, a micro receiver would also be ideal.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:26 AM
typicalaimster

ORIGINAL: craigman

Ok guys,, i'm think'n of ordering a foamy from 3D Foamy, and was wondering which one you guys recomment? Which ones do you have, and fly?
Let me know your thoughts!
I have the Edge 540 and the Citabria... I found the Citabria something I'd use as a trainer. The Edge I've been using to perform stupid foamy tricks. I haven't REALLY been doing 3D hovering. Just mostly flying map of the earth and between trees in the wooded area behind our house. The Edge has REALLY taken a beating. I have hit or put it up in several trees. The foam has cracked, but after a quick zap of CA it's back up in the air.

I setup all hinges with the CA hinges. I didn't put the center plywood piece in for the elevator. I used 4 CA hinges instead. Just simply cut a full sized hinge in half, and mulah!

I'm looking forward to mounting a Black Widow Cam in one of these planes. I'm even thinking about ordering the F-18 so I can get more of a Jet feel to things!
Old 11-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Slyder

Hi all,
Looking to get my first foamy from 3d foamy. Will be putting an AXI 2212/34 with a Pheonix 10 and HS55's.
2 questions.
What connectors do I need from this page--
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&C=CGB&V=WSD
Is this the proper battery?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFKA1&P=0
Thanks
Eric
Old 11-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Slyder

Also- Is the Hitec feather a good choice for these planes?
Thanks again
Old 11-03-2004, 08:46 PM
tashley

Eric, the connectors most of us are using on this set-up are the Deans Micros. On your battery choice, it's a personal preference but I like the 3s 1200 mAh packs. The Feather should work fine. There are a bunch of suppliers who cater to electrics other than the "Empire". If you need a list, I can give you a few sites.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Levi_Jordan

I'd encourage you to call up New Creations RC for your packs and Connectors and Batts... Kirk and Matt know all about electrics and can help you choose the right stuff. They are also familiar with my planes and know what you'll need from props to adaptors and connectors.

www.newcreations-rc.com is the site... but it's newer and so I'd just go there and get the # and then call and talk to them.

No affiliation with me, I've just been treated very well by them...
Old 11-05-2004, 01:56 PM
rcflyerrc

That exact setup is what I am running on all of my 3-D planes, with either a 11-4.7 or 10-4.7 APC prop (depending on what the shop has at the time). Amps good with a PHX-10 and 3c TP. Vertical out of sight. No landing gear and hand launch @ about 25% power. I have a couple of pecan trees in my front yard, and am having a ball doing rolling circles around and between them while sitting on the front porch.

BTW anyone looking for any glow stuff? If I keep this up, I may never go back. (LOL)

RCS
Old 11-05-2004, 02:07 PM
rcflyerrc

Levi,

One other thing. Your bevel tool. You need to tighten up the tolerences. The slots are too wide, and the tool when assembled is loose on the foam, consequently it doesn't cut a constant bevel. Made my own & did the bevels, & everything went together as planned. That is my only gripe on everything that you sent.

Thanks,

RCs
Old 11-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Levi_Jordan

Thanks for the pointer, I'll adjust it. I forgot about tha when I changed the wood supplier for those parts... Used to fit nicely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.