Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

GP Cap 232

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

GP Cap 232

Old 09-07-2010, 05:21 AM
fthumma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Cap 232

All you guys have been a big help. I learned a lot through this one. I had more fun in 3 weekends with it than anything else I have had. I'm gonna miss it. But I will take what I learned and apply it to the next one and have even more fun there. But all that BS doesn't get rid of this gut-kicked feeling. Ugh.....
Old 09-08-2010, 04:13 PM
mm

This CAP is a keeper for sure, i love mine which flies extremely well...one of the best airplanes i have flown.

Stephane
Old 09-08-2010, 04:26 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fthumma

All you guys have been a big help. I learned a lot through this one. I had more fun in 3 weekends with it than anything else I have had. I'm gonna miss it. But I will take what I learned and apply it to the next one and have even more fun there. But all that BS doesn't get rid of this gut-kicked feeling. Ugh.....
Fred

Yea the look on your face was certainly not one of being happy. I felt your pain but nothing I could have said or did at the time would have helped so I just left you alone until you started talking on your own. You'll do just fine on the next one. Guys what happened to Fred is he was coming out of a half cuban (see the picture of the plane inverted) and I was just about to take the next shot and saw the tree that is way out come into the camera view and at that time I realized he was getting a bit low, I started to remove the camera from in front of my face to tell him to push up but it was just in time to see him pull hard to upright and then fly a few feet and roll over and in she went. Sometimes, the problem at the club where we fly at is certain pilots do not look out where they are going and 3 planes were converging on one space, Fred did what he could to avoid the issue and it cost him his plane in the end.

We had just lowered the elevator throws (1/2 half of what he had) and he had just moved the CG forward by 1/2 inch and a test flight showed the plane to be exactly neutral and he was loving life with the new setup. I even had a few minutes on it during the second flight of the day and had a blast. I think Fred was amazed that I could get it into a KE spin with only around 1/4 elevator throws and he even attempted it once
Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 PM
fthumma

Thanks. Ok, the repair is, to me, not cost effective. About 225.00 in parts to fix it if they ever really get the fuse in stock again. So if this is nla as a complete ARF, what next? 27% Hangar 9 Cap? GP 27% Extra? Where shall I go? Will I be satisfied now with the v 1.2 CMP Katana 140S that has been my Hangar Queen after this? I'll have to see what she does up there to find out. I know I'm not afraid of it any more, not after this. Actually, I can't wait to put it up. Hey Bill, wanna look over my shoulder some more?
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fthumma

Thanks. Ok, the repair is, to me, not cost effective. About 225.00 in parts to fix it if they ever really get the fuse in stock again. So if this is nla as a complete ARF, what next? 27% Hangar 9 Cap? GP 27% Extra? Where shall I go? Will I be satisfied now with the v 1.2 CMP Katana 140S that has been my Hangar Queen after this? I'll have to see what she does up there to find out. I know I'm not afraid of it any more, not after this. Actually, I can't wait to put it up. Hey Bill, wanna look over my shoulder some more?
Of course I'll look over your shouilder, you know how to find me
Old 09-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

d@@@@mn [:-]
Old 09-15-2010, 09:03 PM
fthumma

I may be ruined for all other planes...
Old 04-01-2012, 01:31 AM
okier

Hello,
I was reading this wonderfull topic many times.
There is so many usefull info and diferent ways of setup, but its good!
My CAP is ready to maiden now. Here in Poland there are some "not sold yet" sets of this great plane.
I'm really glad of that i could get one until it really dissapear.

Here is my video set up of CAP 232.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzOiZMzNujQ

Best regards,
Old 11-08-2013, 05:33 AM
jak_kkaall

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, is there anyone out there still flying this plane? I just finished reading the entire thread 1-62 pages in several days. I liked how the first 50 - 55 pages were full off positive thoughts and then when I find out that it is no longer produced i felt sad. Because I also have this plane, bought in 2009, had a few successful flights with a fuji 43 without knowing about this and other threads about this plane. Now I realize that I was lucky with it being in one piece today, because of the lack of information. Now that I've read a lot, did about 10-11 upgrades to it and being prepared to fly it again with a XYZ 53cc twin engine, after years of resting, I don't know if there is still anyone interested in this thread or plane... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vATndqkDTGs

The changes/improvements that I've made after all I've read here and there are:
- Making baffles and lovers for cooling
- reinforce the wing with fiberglass cloth on both sides then paint it white
- changing the simple rx switch harness to heavy duty deluxe spectrum switches
- mounting two separate Rx,switches and LiFe battery packs. Switched from NiMh to LiFe although are not 123 that many are using, but flat, but rated 20 C.
- replace the elastic that holds the fuel tank with velcro (the elastic broke someone's ply around the tank because it pulls all the time,although I was putting it on only during flight)
- mounting a vent tube from carb diaphragm and route it back in the fuselage
- closing the choke diaphragm hole with a nut to be able to close the engine at any needle settings
- covering the upper big hole and right side little one of the engine box with thin transparent ABS (I've read that some, at other gas models had their back fuse covering being blown of from positive pressure from the cowl
- Mounted skies. It's not an improvement but for now I plan on flying it in winter as I'm sick of repairing the tail gear after every landing on rough grass terrain in summer. That's just me..
- fiber glass cloth inside the engine box at corners (down in front of landing gear and left-right corners)
- reinforced the ply on both sides of the fuel tank's bottom.

Now I want to reinforce with aluminium the down side of the engine box the corner where it meets the fuselage right after the landing gear
I'd also like to come up with a solution to the problem that someone on this thread had, if the fuel tank stopper come lose not to have all the fuel everywhere... don't want to switch to a plastic bottle.

Last edited by jak_kkaall; 11-13-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:21 AM
okier

Hello Jak_kkaall
Keep the weight low, dont reinforce everything just because You can and You know how to do it. Keep it light and simple, If You add weight You will have to reinforce again .
Talking about covering blown off ... check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5F65lSG2bw
Old 11-09-2013, 04:59 AM
jak_kkaall

Yes, I saw your video, uau! Did that happend because of the positive pressure ? We talked allready on youtube, I'm Seneslau07 and I'm Sacalu on the other big forum of the "...giants" don't know if I am allowed ti give names. Did you made other changes to your plane?
Old 11-09-2013, 12:11 PM
okier

Hello Seneslau07
As we talked before.
I replaced hard wood spar to good plywood. Pin out the firewall with bamboo sticks. Replace oryginal horns to GP heavy duty. Changed main wheels (my runway is grassy) and tail wheel for larger one. Tail wheel is now custom made .

No more changes in construction.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:44 PM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading this revived thread makes me want to actually fly mine.. Oh well, I need to finish it first. I still have my dl55 mounted in my 2nd reincarnation of this plane but never put the finishing touches on it to fly.. Too many planes, not enough time.. I still believe this was one of the prettier planes in my fleet. I think 3 years is long enuff.. I'll finish ... Promise.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 AM
jak_kkaall

So I'm kind of investing my time and attention in a 'legend' now that only a few still have it. A 'pretty legend too' You had two GP caps frankeldan ? What happen to the first?
Old 01-06-2015, 04:11 AM
jak_kkaall

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Imag004_resize.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	2061591   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00121.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	552.0 KB
ID:	2061592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imag001_resize.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	2061593   Click image for larger version

Name:	schiurile (4).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	501.4 KB
ID:	2061594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00106.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	500.9 KB
ID:	2061595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	4.97 MB
ID:	2061596   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00135.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	683.4 KB
ID:	2061597  
Old 01-11-2015, 10:14 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

nice fit on the motor
Old 01-12-2015, 09:10 AM
jak_kkaall

Thank You! I've made the baffling from cardboard and barbecue sticks then epoxy them. Since I've only had single cylinder, I've thought that a twin will look nice on this plane since it is designed for that. I've fitted a working parachute on it too. to bad it's not made anymore
Old 12-03-2021, 07:41 AM
jak_kkaall

Default A Great Plane!

Anyone still flying this plane?

Enjoying nature between flights

Time to go home..

Snow blast.

The end of a great day..

A dream..

..the other side of the dream

hovering

knife edge

XYZ 53cc 5,5hp twin engine. 6700rpm with the 22x8 prop and bohr (bowman) rings.

My pilot is a 3m working parachute that saved my plane once. A dream project that brought 350g to the plane but worth it for me.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:36 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I know someone has one of these in a box brand new somewhere
Old 12-03-2021, 09:52 AM
jak_kkaall

It has to be a well forgotten box since the plane it's discontinued from 2010..but not once I've read on this thread people wanting to buy a second one, that much they enjoy it. Did you fly it too?