Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Waco?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Waco?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: GP Waco?

Ihave a similar disclaimer at the end of all of my work e-mails:

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by any persons without the original author's express consent is strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise stated, opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author andmay not necessarily beendorsed by the author's employer.
<o></o>

Outlook automatically inserts it. In the world today, things like that are essential. Who knows what an e-mail or portions of it will be used for. Just standard stuff, nothing threatening at all.

As for the response from Hobbico, I know it is a little vague but they unfortunately have to be. If they give the green light to use a larger than recommended engine then someone somewhere would strap something crazy on it, injure himself then sue them because they told someone else a larger engine was OK. Lawyers are salivating looking for stuff like that. Talking to someone from GP off the record might be a different story but on the record, in an official company communication, they have to stick to recommending only what has been approved by their legal people.

Same goes for the tailwheel. I trust them when they say it is adequate and passed all of their testing. That does not mean it is the best of course. Sure, it could be done better. If their employee says, "Better install a Sulivan tailwheel" then they are again opened up to liability. Everybody will be demanding a new tailwheel to fix something that isn't necesarilyl broken. Some attorney somewhere will gladly file a class action suit for poor product design even if it really isn't. They just might win too just because the wrong wording was used in an e-mail. Companies have to be very careful about throwing around words like "inadequate", "defective" and so-on.

It's a funny thing. We sometimes want certain things in an ARF but then we complain about price. The manufacturer has to find a balance point where they can produce a nice product and still sell it at a price point that people will buy. Designing and building anything is full of compromises. They may have to find something like a tailwheel that is more than adequate but maybe not quite the best in order to meet the goals. If we want to upgrade then we are free to do so.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 AM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfectly stated Chuck! I don't think it could have been said any better!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 AM
ChuckW

Once you've been grilled by an attorney a time or two you figure it out.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Rcflyerjoe,

Have you considered retrofitting your engine for a smaller sparkplug? It might minimize the appearance of the boot. Just a thought.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto- It's called proprietary information, meant for your personal use only, no harm meant[8D] My company has it too, even goes as far as saying that if you get a virus from their email tough luck[sm=47_47.gif] I know what you mean though about going the extra mile on these expensive arfs, you think they could spring for a decent tailwheel[:@]
Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 PM
skillet92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MM was just wondering if you had an all up wieght?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Mine came out at 14.6 pounds. Ya, a tad on the heavy side but will fly just fine at scale. Concerning that tailwheel issue, the Sullivan type seems to work fine on taxi trials. Pros and Cons please. MM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ca82872.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	1579289  
Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
skillet92

Thanks MM. About what I expected from the beginning. Most weights listed are on the low side. And when they said 12.75 to 13.75 I said over 14 then. So the 30 is where I am going as of now. I get home friday so I will get mine weighted up to see about where I stand, but I am going to have a heavier engine and another battery to account for.

Also MM did you have to add any weight to balance or were you able to just move things around.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:02 PM
MormonMike

Yes, I added weight to the front of the engine mount, about nine ounces and the battery is right behind the fuel tank. Hope this helps. MM
Old 03-15-2011, 05:34 PM
cannonball200
My Feedback: (36)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MormanMike; Whats under the covering in the tail wheel section? Is it solid? I'm getting ready to find out, but thought I'd ask you beforehand??
Thanks,
Old 03-15-2011, 05:40 PM
cannonball200

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: skillet92

stick I guess I don't understand, but would you not want the same distance so they would move the same.

The geometry is just far enough out of kilter to make the top aileron move further than the bottom aileron, given the exact same placement. The Stagger is what causes this. The top wing is ahead of the bottom which gives you positive stagger. It messes with the throw enough to require a little offset in the connection. Here is a photo of Dan's Waco which shows the angle. Like I said, the upper goes at the trailing edge, and the lower goes 1/4 inch from the trailing edge. Trust me on this, or set them up equally, and then go back and do it like I said. You will see what I mean if you do it equally. Then you will have an extra hole in your aileron to explain to those who ask.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
To be able to use slave rods in this plane the ailerons will have to have the covering removed and install mounting points for the slave rod brackets to screw in too. Some work involved there. I might or might not....
Thanks,
Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 PM
cannonball200

Here is a 14# Stearman flying with a DLE 20.. Looks like plenty of power to me... he took off in a short distance and climbed to a good altitude fast and did a loop. Looks like it is going way faster than scale speed with the 20 to me. I'm glad to see this video because I already have my Dle 20 mounted and a special Jtek muffler thats made for the AeroWorks Cessna 195 to fit the Dle 30 to be retrofitted to fit my Dle 20. The pipes will exit straight down for a nice fit for my set up
Thanks,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMQ_iaB3x1A
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58266.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1579381  
Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Steve Graham

Thanks for your input guys,

I will go ahead and do the tailwheel mod for my own peace of mind.

I think I will also go ahead with the 155. It is both lighter and less powerful by 1 hp than the DLE 30 which IS a recommended engine. I just thought it strange that the person who responded to me didn't seem to realize that fact. They specifically market it because it has "more power for the same size as a 120."
Old 03-16-2011, 02:51 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anybody got one of these who is about to start assembly? If so, PM me
Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 AM
MormonMike

CannonBall, It's two pieces of 1/4 inch basswood glued together. One is about a half inch shorter and that piece fits into a recess under the tail you'll have to carve out to fit tight. It's all balsa under the tail so after it's epoxied, soak the surrounding balsa with thin CA. Then re-cover with Monokote. MM
Old 03-16-2011, 06:19 AM
cannonball200

Mike;
Thanks for the tail wheel info....
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: W.W. Corrigan

I think I will also go ahead with the 155. It is both lighter and less powerful by 1 hp than the DLE 30 which IS a recommended engine. I just thought it strange that the person who responded to me didn't seem to realize that fact. They specifically market it because it has "more power for the same size as a 120."
If that 1.55 is anything like the .81 and 1.10 you should be very happy with it. Those alpha series 4-strokes are the best out there in my opinion.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:32 PM
skillet92

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

ORIGINAL: W.W. Corrigan

I think I will also go ahead with the 155. It is both lighter and less powerful by 1 hp than the DLE 30 which IS a recommended engine. I just thought it strange that the person who responded to me didn't seem to realize that fact. They specifically market it because it has ''more power for the same size as a 120.''
If that 1.55 is anything like the .81 and 1.10 you should be very happy with it. Those alpha series 4-strokes are the best out there in my opinion.

You hit that head on. I have a 110A in a 10 and a half pound TF Mustang and that plane has all the power that I could have ever hoped for. The 155 will be great in this Waco.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:15 PM
TJDNC

I checked the Tower website last night and it said the Waco was backordered till May. I checked tonight and it was available with free shipping and a $15 discount. Ordered it right away. Its a good thing I get home from work before my wife does.

I am looking forward to joining in on all the discussion.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:36 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If anyone is building it with the DLE30 with the rear carb, doing the throttle is tough. I will post pics tomorrow on how I solved the problem
Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 PM
ChuckW

That's the only issue with a rear carb engine, the throttle can sometimes be a pain. I have two DLE-20's right now that I am trying to put in a 70" Revolver and a TF P-40. Almost have the Revolver done. My Waco got put on hold temporarily in favor of the P-40.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:29 PM
AncientCityFlyer

Thanks Minnflyer, I'm planning on going with the DL-30. Looking forward to hearing how you did it. Thanks. ACF
Old 03-17-2011, 02:14 AM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

Well, I would'nt say we can bash them into the ground, no great loss, The wife might have a little difference of opinion on that . $$ The bench is cleared, here comes flying season and to the Devil with gas prices. Maiden on Saturday !! MM
Nice job....when will you maiden her ?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:37 PM
oppie
My Feedback: (5)

I'm using a DLE 30 with side carb. The instructions call for using 13 spacers and with the standoffs that came with the motor you need a 10-32 x 4" socket head bolts. I would like to know where to get this bolt. I have checked all the usual hardware retailers and no luck. I then did a Google search and came up with nothing. Have any of you guys gotten this far with a side carb engine?

"Test fit the engine with the spacers and standoffs using
four 10-32 x 4" [102mm] bolts and four #10 lock washers
(not supplied)."

Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 PM
cannonball200

I was looking for some 8:32 by 2 1/2 socket head bolts and had to go to a special hardware and bolt store in OKC. Look for something like that where your at. They are hard to find.
Thanks,

J & E Supply and Fastener Co., Inc.

Call Us Today for Hardware!
(888) 641-2502

Committed to Service Since 1970

1903 SE. 59th St.

Oklahoma City, OK 73129
(888) 641-2502 or (405) 759-4703

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.