Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Models Tiger 3 ARTF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Models Tiger 3 ARTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 04:33 PM
easystar123

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The Phoenix Tiger 3 is a good flying aircraft.
Old 07-15-2023, 06:26 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ It surely is! I just had an issue after 6 years of flying where the covering lifted off the bottom of each elevator surface, causing a nose-down pitch. Made it back to the runway but damaged the firewall. Easy fix and it is flying perfect again. The cover is so stiff that when it lets loose, it doesn't flap in the breeze but rather becomes a control surface! Might want to check that to keep your Tiger purring! Thanks for that post easy star!
Old 07-15-2023, 06:46 PM
easystar123

Originally Posted by thailazer
^^ It surely is! I just had an issue after 6 years of flying where the covering lifted off the bottom of each elevator surface, causing a nose-down pitch. Made it back to the runway but damaged the firewall. Easy fix and it is flying perfect again. The cover is so stiff that when it lets loose, it doesn't flap in the breeze but rather becomes a control surface! Might want to check that to keep your Tiger purring! Thanks for that post easy star!
Many thanks Thailazer for your reply and advice. I will definitely keep an eye on the covering of the Tiger 3 even though I've only had it a few months. I'm also thinking about getting the bigger Tiger 60 as I have a brand new ASP 91 fourstroke in a box and I thought that would be a good plane for it. I think you have also the Tiger 60 or maybe I'm wrong? If so, is it as good a flyer as the Tiger 40?
Old 07-15-2023, 07:40 PM
thailazer

The Tiger 60 flies fantastic as well, but it is harder to land as it wants to float forever! Ends up having lighter wing loading with a 65AX that I have in it.

My Tiger 60 started out stock, then I converted it to a twin. It was too fast so I extended the wing out to 99 inches. Then I converted the wing for a Casa 212 project. Flew that two years and the wing is back on a the Tiger 60 as a single engine plane. All good fun! Here a few videos

Old 07-15-2023, 07:42 PM
thailazer

The Casa 212 was fun!

Old 07-16-2023, 03:32 AM
easystar123

The Tiger 60 flies fantastic as well, but it is harder to land as it wants to float forever! Ends up having lighter wing loading with a 65AX that I have in it.

My Tiger 60 started out stock, then I converted it to a twin. It was too fast so I extended the wing out to 99 inches. Then I converted the wing for a Casa 212 project. Flew that two years and the wing is back on a the Tiger 60 as a single engine plane. All good fun! Here a few videos

Twin Tiger
Many thanks for the video, much appreciated. The more i read about the Tiger 60 the more I want one as its the type of plane I enjoy flying and it suits my flying style. The other thing is, I realise that THE ASP 91 fourstroke is not in the same class as the Saito engines but its been sitting around in a box for over 3 years now and I might as well make use of it. I can't remember if I had to add weight to the nose of the Tiger 40, but I did have to with my Kyosho Calmato 40. Had you to add any weight to your Tiger 60 using the OS 95v?
Old 12-02-2023, 08:37 PM
easystar123

Default Tiger 60 wheel size?

Yeah, and that was with a tame 11-7 Master Airscrew prop, and off a grass runway. 3.5 inch main wheels help on the grass, and I can't wait to get an hour of break-in on this engine so I can start to lean it out. Got a Dubro spinner on order so should have it back in the air next week.
Hi there, I received my new Tiger 60 yesterday and it looks great. I thought about buying the Dolphin but went for the 60 size Tiger as i have the smaller Tiger 40 and i love it. You have 3.5 inch wheels on the mains, does that mean you have a smaller wheel on the nosegear and if so what size?
Old 12-03-2023, 01:52 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by easystar123
Hi there, I received my new Tiger 60 yesterday and it looks great. I thought about buying the Dolphin but went for the 60 size Tiger as i have the smaller Tiger 40 and i love it. You have 3.5 inch wheels on the mains, does that mean you have a smaller wheel on the nosegear and if so what size?
Just checked and I use a 3 inch Dubro nose wheel on the Tiger 60, and a 2.75 inch Dubro on the Tiger 40.

That Dolphin is a nice looking ship, but the Tiger is a known entity so enjoy getting it up in the air. Phoenix Models does a good job in putting together a rugged airplane as my landings would attest!
Old 12-03-2023, 02:49 PM
easystar123

Just checked and I use a 3 inch Dubro nose wheel on the Tiger 60, and a 2.75 inch Dubro on the Tiger 40.

That Dolphin is a nice looking ship, but the Tiger is a known entity so enjoy getting it up in the air. Phoenix Models does a good job in putting together a rugged airplane as my landings would attest!
Many thanks for your reply. Do you prefer then to have a smaller wheel on the nosegear and larger on the mains? Do you think this helps when it comes to landing?
Old 12-03-2023, 03:48 PM
thailazer

I don't think it matters much. The smaller wheel does look better.
Old 12-29-2023, 03:38 PM
easystar123

Default Tiger 60 c of g

Have gotten some more flights in on the big Tiger and it is much more of a floater on landing than the smaller one, due to the lower wing loading I suspect. I was surprised to see how well it balanced with the small 46AX out front. I think a heavy gasser or larger two stroke would make it a fairly nose heavy plane requiring lead in the tail. Turning out to be a nice big fun plane to fly now that I got all the teething pains with the spinner and trimming behind me.
Hi there, we've chatted before, I have a new Tiger 60 with a 91 fourstroke on board. Its still a bit tail heavy. . Looks like i will have to add weight to the nose. Did you have to add any nose weight to your Tiger 60?
Old 12-29-2023, 05:22 PM
thailazer

EasyStar. I normally set the CG balance point at 42% of chord with no fuel. Note that the stock gear on the Tiger will have the tail fall to the ground. You need to bend the gear back to keep that from happening. Here is a video. (At the end at 2:50). that explains it on a Goldberg Tiger which Phoenix copied quite well! I don't think you need to add any nose weight.

Old 12-29-2023, 05:50 PM
easystar123

EasyStar. I normally set the CG balance point at 42% of chord with no fuel. Note that the stock gear on the Tiger will have the tail fall to the ground. You need to bend the gear back to keep that from happening. Here is a video. (At the end at 2:50). that explains it on a Goldberg Tiger which Phoenix copied quite well! I don't think you need to add any nose weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWDr2AikjVw
Many thanks Thailazer for that. I'm putting an ASP 91 fourstroke on the plane. It weighs 640 grams. It will take another 100 grams to balance it. But I'm taking your good advice and bending back the main gear wheels and I won't add any weight to the nose either and hope for the best. Happy new year to you.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:54 PM
thailazer

That ASP 91 should be about perfect for the CG. I see many modelers try to balance without fuel and then the plane gets nose-heavy and will not slow down for landing.
The Tiger design likes a bit of tail-ward CG and it ends up being a real ***** cat. Looking forward to your first flight report! How close are you?

That gear point design problem has been around a long time. I have built about 7 Tigers of various sizes now and all of them needed the gear bent back. It actually ends up being a good confirmation of where the CG needs to be!
Old 12-29-2023, 06:26 PM
easystar123

That ASP 91 should be about perfect for the CG. I see many modelers try to balance without fuel and then the plane gets nose-heavy and will not slow down for landing.
The Tiger design likes a bit of tail-ward CG and it ends up being a real ***** cat. Looking forward to your first flight report! How close are you?

That gear point design problem has been around a long time. I have built about 7 Tigers of various sizes now and all of them needed the gear bent back. It actually ends up being a good confirmation of where the CG needs to be!
That sounds great the Tiger likes a bit of tail-ward cg. Im hoping that if all goes well with the weather i will have the maiden flight in two weeks time. I will definitely send you a flight report on how it all went. Many thanks.
The following users liked this post:
thailazer (12-30-2023)
Old 01-11-2024, 02:21 PM
easystar123

That sounds great the Tiger likes a bit of tail-ward cg. Im hoping that if all goes well with the weather i will have the maiden flight in two weeks time. I will definitely send you a flight report on how it all went. Many thanks.

I have the Tiger 60 fully assembled tonight and tomorrow morning I will fire up the brand new ASP 91 for the first time. To me there is nothing more exciting than starting a brand new glow engine for the first time and hear it coming to life. I will run a few tanks of fuel through it and then hopefully some day next week weather permitting I will have the maiden flight.
The following users liked this post:
thailazer (01-11-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 05:03 AM
easystar123

I have the Tiger 60 fully assembled tonight and tomorrow morning I will fire up the brand new ASP 91 for the first time. To me there is nothing more exciting than starting a brand new glow engine for the first time and hear it coming to life. I will run a few tanks of fuel through it and then hopefully some day next week weather permitting I will have the maiden flight.
Hi there, I forgot to ask you did you epoxy the wings together on the Tiger 60?